Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'v eyet to see timecrimes, but I really liked Triangle, and enjoyed all the little bits and bobs that you might otherwise not notice over the course of the movie. It's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ravenkult posted:

You are all criminals for thinking Triangle is better than Timecrimes. Triangle is a movie I've seen at least five better versions of. Oh no bad things happen and then they repeat, what an original idea!

What are five better movies than triangle? Because I enjoyed the hell out of Triangle, and might be interested in seeing other movies like it that aren't Timecrimes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Skyscraper posted:

I disliked Timecrimes for the same reason I disliked Tucker and Dale vs Evil: Once you understand the premise, all that remains is seeing what kind of crazy contortions the writers are going to have to put the story through to get there. It's entertaining, sure, but not as a story. Whereas, I thought Triangle was actually an effective horror movie.

Well...Tucker and Dale was a straight up hooror, with all the tropes that established genre has. It's great they were kinda funny about it, but if you're watching that movie expecting to be blown away by the plot of it or Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Friday the Thirteenth then you just should lower your expectations of what a straight horror gets you.

I mean, it was basically a comedy sendup of TCM, which itself had no loving point. It's really not a 'smart' genre. There are some great twists off that genre, like Cabin in the woods, but those are hybrids.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 11, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I remember reading the Watcher - about the GMO'd smart-dog and some dude named Travis and really liked it. Of course I read it when I was 13 or 14. Good times.

If you could date a ghost I would imagine it would keep your dates pretty cheap. Everything but rent, once it got serious, I guess. Having two incomes is nice.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

Well you're taste is fairly similar to mine, I don't think Cabin in the Woods is an all-time great like you do, even so the movies you list are some of my recent favorites too. I was pretty disappointed by The Conjuring as well.

Interesting then that you didn't like It Follows, but this stuff can be unpredictable. I definitely disagree with you about the tension in the movie, for me that was one of the biggest positives. Because of the nature of the monster and the rules that they set up, the tension was there in literally every single scene, regardless of how "safe" the location seemed to be.

I wouldn't say It follows was tense at all, but I would say there was a pretty palpable sense of dread throughout. Just the acceptance of the existence of this force of (super)nature.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oculus was weird because they were set to destroy the mirror, but then she wanted to videotape it to prove to people it was real or whatever which made the process last a long time and gave way to their eventual defeat.

I kinda liked the movie, I guess, sorta, but it was just really loving dumb. Like, mirror doesn't care. Mirror just wants to kill you. Mike Myers isn't going to be shamed and aww shucks his way through a To Catch A Predator interview when they ambush him in a deserted house.

I guess it was a cautionary tale about pride and our need for relevance.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

Were't they trying to prove their father's innocence, or something? It's been awhile, so I don't remember all the finer details of the premise.

It's also not uncommon for the obvious "solution" to hauntings/evil spirits to be the totally wrong thing to do. Smashing the mirror might not be a good idea. Also, we have to assume that if they did try that right away, it would use its powers to stop them right away. The fact that it can play mind games with them means it can read their intent.

You have to realize, they, as characters in the movie, don't actually know what mirror wants. So "Mirror just want to kill you" may be obvious to us, but not to them. They know that something is hosed up and evil, and they go about it in a rather rational and scientific way.

This wasn't an 'evil dead' or 'The Conjuring' type of haunting, I'm much more sympathetic to people caught up in the middle of rampaging ghost kids and plates thrown through the air than I am about a girl who devises a plan over the course of years and then decides that she needs to destroy a thing that can mind control you in the vicinity of the thing that mind controls you.

It was pretty gross/cool when she thought she was eating an apple, but not, at least. It was a movie I would have liked more if... I don't know. The premise was fuckin' tight, at least.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

Or do you just go around smashing everything that you think might have evil powers?

Begone, Demon!
*punches computer monitor*

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jenny Angel posted:

Kinda effed up to yell at abuse victims IMO

Just sticking with what they know so they feel at home.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Professor Shark posted:

That movie looks bad

*ahem*

you racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ulio posted:

Is The Game with Michael Douglas with this category? I don't know if I should watch it but I am a fan of Fincher.

Also are there any other movies like TimeCrimes?

Triangle is a fantastic movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

• Locked thread