Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Not to dwell on Session 9, but it's worth mentioning this particular piece from the OST. It's one of the more unnerving compositions I've ever heard... and it's used loving EXPERTLY in the film/movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E47Zk8riCO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

I feel like the sheer dread that Session 9 conjures with it's score and tone supersedes the (many) stupid elements. Think of the "reveal" scene when the lead realizes what he's done, and the lone-wolf contractor shows up late to the action. The intimate murder and weirdo drones that are in the following couple of minutes made me feel like I was having a bad trip - That poo poo is pretty much unmatched in creepiness for my yankee buck.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Agreed. I loved the movie, but without that score it would have been awful. I can completely see someone, including myself outside my one instance if watching it, not necessarily getting taken in by the music quite as much as I did that night, in which case, yeah it would be pretty bland. The visuals were nice at times, but wouldn't have brought it up over the top, and the acting was pretty shaky at times. I think I was just in the right mood for it that night.

I think I'm mostly surprised, because it's the first time I've liked Caruso in something.

On the Session 9 score from Climax Golden Twins:

"..there were low, heavy drones — that might not come across on a small TV, but in the theater they did. That kind of sound creates a very physical reaction. We also used very, very high-pitched sounds. You can almost not even hear them, but they make you feel uncomfortable. Atmospheric horror — that’s what we were interested in."

"At times we were trying to come up with the creepiest sound we could. That’s kind of the thing about that movie. There’s really not a lot of overt violence in the film itself. This film is just really creepy psychologically, and I think we kind of matched that intensity with the sounds we generated."

..But yeah all the plot points with the reel tapes and demons were ludicrously dumb.

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 15, 2012

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Session 9 was pretty great despite it's number of glaring flaws. It's SO effective at creating dread/bad juju feelings by using really creative scanarios:

- The guy thinking he's struck it rich after knocking a brick loose and finding a cache of old valuables, not realizing that he was essentially grave-robbing the crematorium
- The lobotomy that inspired the "what are you doing here" alive-zombie man
- The hallway sequence after the lights started to go off in the access tunnels after the generator failed
- Eyeball murder amongst the decontamination poly
- Multiple descents into madness; not being able to discern what's real... Much more truly "scary" than anything I can think of

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 17, 2015

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

I like Session 9 a lot less than I did when it came out, but the soundtrack by Climax Golden Twins remains a terrific haunted afternoon album.

And yeah... that creep-a-zoid twinking piano bit. I think CGT actually pulled that from another 50-60's Avant Garde composer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Big up - listen to this if you like creepy music/scores

• Locked thread