Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Subscribed to this thread and very glad to come across it.

After perusing the op it's occurred to me that this is pretty much my favorite genre of movie. Movies like Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon, and The Shining are some of my all time favorite classic films while Moon, The Machinist, and Shutter Island are among the top newer movies to be released.

My little addition (storylines copies from imdb):

Altered States

Just read the poster. drat wtf right? I bought this movie for 5 bucks in a busted up and package taped case during a chance encounter with a singer for a local death metal band on his recommendation. "That's a hosed up movie" he said. And it was.

imdb posted:

An American researching different states of consciousness with the aid of mind altering drugs and an isolation chamber begins to experience disturbing physical changes in his body that point toward an evolutionary regression.

Sphere

imdb posted:

1000 feet below the ocean, navy divers discover an object half-a-mile long. A crack team of scientists are deployed to the site in Deepsea Habitats. What they find boggles the mind as they discover a perfect metal sphere. What is the secret behind the sphere? Will they survive the mysterious 'manifestations'? Who or what is creating these? :iiam: They may never live to find out.

While this movie doesn't have the greatest reviews, it's one of my cult favorites (not sure of it's "official cult status" but it works for me). The summary pretty much tells it all, no huge surprises. I like it enough to recommend it and to own on blu ray (it's like $8 on amazon.)

12 Monkeys

imdb posted:

An unknown and lethal virus has wiped out five billion people in 1996. Only 1% of the population has survived by the year 2035, and is forced to live underground. A convict (James Cole) reluctantly volunteers to be sent back in time to 1996 to gather information about the origin of the epidemic (who he's told was spread by a mysterious "Army of the Twelve Monkeys") and locate the virus before it mutates so that scientists can study it. Unfortunately Cole is mistakenly sent to 1990, six years earlier than expected, and is arrested and locked up in a mental institution, where he meets Dr. Kathryn Railly, a psychiatrist, and Jeffrey Goines, the insane son of a famous scientist and virus expert.

It's Brad Pitt acting like a total whack job, and Bruce Willis acting like a confused sunuvabitch. A large majority of the movie takes place in the past in a mental ward, or is it the future? NO ONE KNOWS... and some of the poo poo is almost as scifi weird like The Fifth Element. Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNMEwNx9x4

Pi

There will be no order. Only chaos.

imdb posted:

Max is a genius mathematician who's built a supercomputer at home that provides something that can be understood as a key for understanding all existence. Representatives both from a Hasidic cabalistic sect and high-powered Wall Street firm hear of that secret and attempt to seduce him.

How has this movie not been added yet? It's a Darren Aronofsky flick, pretty much the one that put him on the map. It's so weird I don't know what to say.

Anyways there are more on my list but that's all I have time for now. Looking forward to seeing what else you guys recommend. (Added several to my "poo poo to watch" list already).

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread