Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Most of you probably know Twin Peaks as a landmark TV show, and I'm assuming many of you who've watched it also know why. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is a 'prequel' to the TV show. It's basically the final week in the life of Laura Palmer, the girl whose murder is the central mystery for a large portion of the TV show. From what I've been reading, though, the movie was highly disliked by fans of the show and audiences in general-- it even got booed at Cannes and Quentin Tarantino had this to say about it:

"…after I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me at Cannes, David Lynch had disappeared so far up his own rear end that I have no desire to see another David Lynch movie until I hear something different. And you know, I loved him. I loved him."

(I really want to know what he thought of Lynch's later films)

I don't want to give details on the movie because that can majorly spoil the show for those who haven't seen it, so I'll just say that, if you want to watch the movie, I recommend you watch the show first (though watching the movie without any sense of context is still a weird and disturbing experience, but also wonderfully disorienting). I think the movie is among David Lynch's best works, and it's disheartening to hear how much contempt some people have for it, even fans of Lynch's work (I don't know what most of you guys at CineD think, though). This one seems to be Lynch's most overlooked film (I read more praise for Dune than for this one), so I'm putting it in this thread in hopes of it getting a little more exposure, so give it a chance, guys!

I can understand why it was unpopular to many fans of the show, though, so, to those who've only watched the TV series, know that the tone of the movie is much, much darker. The show is funny, mysterious, and quirky, with some horrifying bits thrown around, but, aside from being much weirder, the movie is mostly bleak, deeply sad, and downright terrifying.

This is getting a bit long for this threads purposes, so I'll end it with saying that, for those of you whose tastes tend to align with Mark Kermode's, it's his favorite of Lynch's films. If you don't like Kermode, watch it anyway-- I don't share many of his film preferences, and it's currently my favorite of Lynch's films (though I admit that this category of 'favorite' changes periodically).

Sense and Motion fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread