Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

The Haunting (1963) is pretty awesome in this department.

You never actually see anything apart from a door bending a little, it's mostly creepy sounds and the creepy house itself but holy poo poo did 13yo me have nightmares that night after watching it. The only other movie to cause me this was Carpenter's "The Thing".

The house were the action takes place in incredibly oppressing and drips with foreboding. Very slow paced by today's standards but I think very effective.
For the love of god ignore the remake with Catherine Zeta-Jones, it's a complete abortion.

The Haunting is my favourite horror film of all time. It's terrifying. You can see a lot of it's influence in Evil Dead II, from certain camera work to direct lines of dialogue.

Promethea posted:

I suggest The Innocents, the 1961 adaptation of The turn of the screw by Henry James.

It's about a Victorian governess who comes to believe the young children she looks after have become possessed by the malevolent spirits of a dead cad and his deceased, wimpy girlfriend (who was also the previous governess).

It's one of the most beautiful looking horror films, full of gorgeous black and white cinematography. But it has more than just good looks - this film is seriously creepy once it gets going. I still get chills from the scene with the little girl down by the lake and in fact got a shiver up my neck just typing this.

One of those films where you can read the whole story in two entirely different ways. Both are equally chilling to me.

Also this. It's a great movie, if you haven't seen it do yourself a favour and pick up both The Haunting and The Innocents. They're brooding and atmospheric horror movies and they are both brilliant.

I'll add The Old Dark House to the pile. Directed by James Whale, the director of Frankenstein, and featuring Boris Karloff. The Old Dark House is another example of how a strong atmosphere is creepier and more disturbing than almost any explicit gore can be. It's also got a streak of humour running through the film that makes it more palatable if you're not used to slow burning movies. The premise is simple, a bunch of strangers get thrown together when a storm forces them to take refuge in a creepy house in rural Wales. The dysfunctional family who live in the house are downright creepy.

Mr_Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread