Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm surprised no one's mentioned The Mothman Prophecies. Lots of people aren't impressed by it, but I've always really liked it. It builds up some good atmosphere, and some scenes are just unnerving. The chapstick scene bugged my girlfriend for a long time. She'd get creeped out whenever she heard strange noises or voices on the phone.

The movie has some nice cinematography, and the score by Tomandandy really enhances the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Grimey posted:

In all honesty the Keel book this movie is sourced from does somewhat the same thing. I enjoyed The Mothman Prophecies movie enough to find a copy of the book, and I would say isn't worth the read (maybe the first half or third at most). The book starts off with a decent premise, but lacks any conflict to establish direction. The majority of the book goes along as ... "we went out this night wish such and such person and saw such and such orbs" ... which is okay the first 10 times you read that.

A version of Mothman would be more interesting if the source material was more closely followed with the main character Keel and some of his experiences in the book.

The SciFi T.V. version of this only exists in my opinion to see Jewel Staite in a bikini, then you turn it off.

The book isn't fiction, it's an investigative book by late paranormal researcher John Keel, who was a real guy. The movie is a fictionalized take on the topics covered in the book.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Crackerman posted:

That film has a lot of wasted potential.

Totally true. It has a bunch of creepy elements but the plot just fails to really bring them together in a truly effective way. I understand why many people find it boring. I just happen to like it, despite its faults.

As for the book it's based on, whether or not you believe in the possibility of paranormal phenomena, it's not meant to be a novel, and lots of people are confused when they see the movie and then read the book. The way the publisher re-released it around the time of the movie's release was a really dumb move, using the poster art for the cover and whatnot.

• Locked thread