Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I'm not entirely sure how much it counts, but since Eraserhead's in the OP...

Mulholland Dr. is a beautiful movie about identity and false façades. I'm pretty sure the majority of CineD has seen this movie, and I'm reluctant to describe the plot because I think the act of describing the plot is a spoiler. In any case...

A woman (Laura Harring) loses her memory in a car accident, whereupon she wanders away from the scene and into the home of Betty Elms (Naomi Watts), a too-perfect, infectiously bubbly actress just starting her Hollywood career. Meanwhile, in a far wealthier part of town, bigshot director Adam Kesher (Justin Theroux) is having one of the worst days of his life, losing his wife and control of his film. In what follows, everything is called into question, including the characters, their identities, their circumstances, their feelings, and what is and isn't really happening.

This is my favorite Lynch film, although it took me a while to realize that. Probably the scariest thing I've ever seen in a movie happens a short while in, in broad daylight, in high-key lighting, outside a full restaurant. The way Lynch does dolly shots here is amazing; you never know if what he's about to show is horrifying or benign, but it's hard not to get a pit in the stomach every time (even on rewatches). The movie has such a pervasive and intense aura of fear that even when it's sexy, funny, sad, frustrating, or dramatic, it's still scary above all. What's more, it doesn't come with easy answers. In short, Mulholland Drive stuck with me and scared me more than any horror movie I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread