Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
I'm usually a fan of this type of movie, but The Exam was just silly. The mysterious question was obviously going to by a cheap cop-out, which basically killed all the tension for me. The best part, though, is that the winning applicant actually gave the wrong answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

CzarChasm posted:

To anyone watching this movie, please note that there are two endings: The director's cut ending was creepy and disturbing in a way I really didn't see coming and I believe was taken out due to test audience feedback (This was also the ending I saw first). The theatrical ending, comparatively, is toothless and dull as dishwater and not really challenging on any level. Disturbing as I found it, the Director's cut ending is probably the better of the two.

I like the story overall, but I'm a sucker for any kind of decent time travel movie. The time travel gimmick borders on magic, but once you get past that, the movie becomes much more entertaining.

I tend to agree, but the prison stigmata bit was really annoying to me.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The director's cut ending felt so much more true to the events of the story. The first time I saw the movie, I watched the theatrical edition. Near the end, I thought "Okay, they're really going to go completely loving bonkers with the ending, aren't they?", and they didn't. Then I saw the director's cut ending, and they totally did with that one. It was even more than I was hoping for.

The main character time-traveling back into the womb and strangling himself with the umbilical cord so that he's never born, the events of the movie never happen and his loved ones are better off is such a :psyduck: concept, but I'm really glad they went with that.

Also, it's revealed in a scene cut from the theatrical version that Ashton's mother had had numerous similar, unexplained miscarriages, implying that there's a repeating cycle of Ashton erasing his own existence. There was also a bit where he sees a palmist and is told he doesn't have a life line.

• Locked thread