Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arcysparky posted:

I am very surprised no one has yet mentioned Primer, a psychological cat and mouse thriller with a sci-fi twist. It has the single most intelligent handling of time travel in any film I've ever seen.

I found the film confusing, unsettling and fun.

Fun fact: It was filmed with an amazing 2:1 shooting ratio and was the debut for the director, Shane Carruth, a mathematician.

It very recently had its own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It starts out with so much potential but ends up somewhat run of the mill. I still enjoyed it and Liev is always fun on screen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ravenkult posted:

You are all criminals for thinking Triangle is better than Timecrimes. Triangle is a movie I've seen at least five better versions of. Oh no bad things happen and then they repeat, what an original idea!

Other than Groundhog Day I'm stressing to think of another movie where the entire timeline cycles.

Oh poo poo, mentioning GD was bannable at one point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah, it was something stupid where goons would post "that one movie with Bill Murray" and it became bannable.

At least I think that's how it went.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2186

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tenniseveryone posted:

TIMECRIME/TRIANGLE MEGATHREAD

Is +1 any good? I like the concept but it took a while for it to get going and I got tired of the insufferable teens. It felt like I'd been tricked into watching half of Project X.

I liked it well enough, it was a neat concept that fell kind of flat but it's nowhere near the worst film I saw last year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

James Woods posted:

The Signal – 2007

This The Signal is about the aftermath of a signal that infiltrates every radio broadcast, phone line, and TV station that once heard slowly drives you murderously insane. It's told in three parts showing the perspective of three different characters over the course of the day the signal hits. While not the most original concept ever what sets this movie apart is the execution. It has a very unique style that can be terribly brutal and intense while at the same time truly hilarious. An interesting thing about this movie is that each of the three narrative perspectives of the three main characters is written and directed by a different person and then all edited together in a non linear fashion that gives the viewer their own sense of escalating madness as the film progresses. Incredibly this movie was made for only $50,000 and shot in less than two weeks.

I love this movie so much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Strontosaurus posted:

I hate that another movie called The Signal came out because this is one of my most-recommended films of all-time.

The new one is surprisingly enjoyable but yeah, I understand. This is among my go-to "Watch this weird film!" recommendations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That movie was a steaming pile of poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the chaos engine posted:

Well gently caress, which is it?

The acting by the dick roommate is offensively bad. It makes the movie unbearable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just saw Parallels on Netflix, which was sci-fi, but not quite into "sci-fi thriller" territory. Still, about five minutes into it, if you're anything like me, you'll get really excited about where it might go, and then it goes there. Basically, if you enjoyed the alternate Earth stuff on Fringe (or Sliders, I guess -- I've never seen it), you need to check it out.

It starred a poor man's Mark Wahlberg/Channing Tatum type, and also Constance Wu (the mom from Fresh Off the Boat) as an adorable "manic pixie dream girl" type.

The end will probably piss everyone off, but I had a feeling it might end the way it did. Just wondered what other people thought.

It was a pilot for SyFy that didn't get picked up and it was also incredibly terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I KNEW IT! It felt so much like a pilot. I haven't seen a movie with an ending like that since Source Code.

What happened at the end of source code?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The movie just kind of ends. They are no better off than when they started. They didn't really learn anything new about the ghost, or resolve anything. The nerd finally gets a pity gently caress which made the least sense of all to me, just bang some dude at a bar or something instead of forcing the one cool dude in the movie to gently caress some skanky hooker in order to give her a curse that she almost assuredly will get killed by. I am also constantly wondering, why not get the authorities involved since you can physically interact with this thing and its constantly showing itself? The movie's ending reminded me of the fake-out ending of the Ring (which was brilliant) except this wasn't a fake out, the movie really was just over.

Didn't they make it clear that if you didn't teach the next person the rules and it killed them the curse returned to you?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who was "the bitch" in Cloverfield? Don't remember that character.

Lizzy Caplan was "the bitch" because she wouldn't gently caress TJ Miller.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

I assume this is a lovely Common Internet Opinion, right?

Because I didn't get that from the film at all, but can totally see certain groups of vocal people being dumb enough to react that way to it.

Yes, it's a bunch of bullshit that people who identify with the kind of pathetic person Miller played believe. It is not something I personally believe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Anyone here ever see The Wild Hunt? It was on Netflix for a while.

I really wonder if the writer/director is a major nerd because this is basically Apocalypse Now but with LARPers plays out way too many skeevy nerd types way too well. Apparently lots of the extras actually were reenactors or larpers soooo act what you know I guess. Long story short it's a fish out of a water setup with a not-nerdy guy going in to rescue his brother who's way too far in with a nerd cult? Or something?

The main antagonist does a pretty good Colonel Kurtz impression. The middle could've been done better, but everyone's eventual descent into madness in the woods one night all armed with medieval weapons ended up paying off pretty well. I think the greatest talent was in the directing and shot choices. Definitely not as good as something like It Follows writing-wise, but I had good fun watching it.

This sounds loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Well presumably the Annabelle spin-off isn't affected by the lawsuit over The Conjuring films, so...

Details please?

• Locked thread