Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For District 9 fans, got some insider info on Neill Blomkamp's stuff:

-There likely won't be a D9 sequel. Too many people have rights to it. The director and writer are on board (though both are doing other projects now), but the studios, distributors, production companies, and producers would all have to come to agreements or give up their hold in order to get it done. It's been talked about a lot, but nobody can seem to push it through.

-There's been some buzz about 'Elysium' being renamed 'Baja Dunes'. It seems to be a production cover name though, because people involved are still calling it 'Elysium'.

-Blomkamp's next project "Chappie" is fairly notorious for having very little information about it, but someone said something they shouldn't. Much like District 9 was an adaptation of the world presented in Blomkamp's short 'Alive in Joburg', Chappie is at least tangentially related to his 'Tetra Vaal' short. It's apparently far enough removed that it's not quite the same concept, but it's definitely the project's inspiration.

Edit:vvv The most anyone has said about Elysium is that it's Matt Damon and Jodie Foster, and it's a far-future sociopolitical thriller set on another planet.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Everblight posted:

Crab Man from My Name Is Earl in a crushed velvet creamsicle leisure suit,

I mean I kinda want this in every movie, so sold I guess.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really enjoy it when people apply that concept to straight up sci-fi. Groundhog Day itself is a comedy on the surface but comes off more as fantasy in concept, but movies like Source Code, Edge of Tomorrow, and the miniseries Day Break all took very different but decidedly science fiction approaches to it, and all succeeded IMO.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

Its not a tonal thing, its that Insidious goes further(no pun intended I swear) with its ideas than people are used to. In most movies this whole shadow world would be hinted at and referenced but you wouldn't actually see it or get to watch the characters go into it and explore it. Kinda like Poltergeist.

While this is true, I find that once you go into the Further, it no longer plays any cards close to its chest and instead just lays them all out in favor of throwing spooky monsters at you in full light. Very often in horror, once you see a villain in full view you're no longer scared of it. One of horror's core tenets is fear of the unknown, and by the time you see Ghost Darth Maul sharpening his claw glove on a grindstone it becomes more like a supernatural haunted house ride than a horror film. While that's fine, my main issue with the sequels is that they keep riding on the jumpscare wagon as if it's still 100% horror franchise, when underneath all that it'd be a pretty good supernatural drama if they just weren't trying so hard to keep it full of monster closets. It keeps trying to be the first half of the first movie when it's already revealed its cards.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the biggest comedy is that Unfriended really does feature a ghost, rather than some psychopath screwing with them

A ghost who can HACK THE INTERNET. Kinda killed it for me. The internet is a scary place, but not in the way Unfriended pretends it is. What was the plan if they all just logged off Skype at the beginning and decided to talk later?

Also there's a bunch of poop in it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My biggest problem with Cloverfield, and incidentally most horror movies, is the 20-30 minutes in the beginning they spend on absolutely pointless character development. It's even worse when the audience already knows what's going on and you have to watch the characters slowly figure it out. How is 10 Cloverfield Lane in that regard?

This really isn't much of a spoiler because it's literally the first minute of the film, but the way they introduce Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character is really subtle and well done. She's on the phone, she leaves a ring on the counter, we don't hear dialogue, and then she leaves and heads out of town. It conveys a lot with very little, and I really liked how that one little silent scene covers everything you need to know about her before the plot kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"Why don't they just leave" seemed to be addressed pretty naturally to me. People tend to act irrationally tolerant of awkward situations when it's a social event and they want to avoid having a falling out or making a social faux pas by skipping out on hosts and friends they haven't seen in a long time. Most of the characters had reasons for wanting to stay, or weren't completely freaked out, or wanted to be there for people other than the hosts. When people did try to leave, there were either consequences or people there to talk them out of it, and only once did someone want to leave badly enough that they couldn't be talked down.

• Locked thread