Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Mouser.. posted:

Great movie. And I agree, if you go in expecting timecrimes you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. Where timecrimes has a timeline that can easily be represented by a wire with three loops in it this movie is some kind of bizarre infinite mobius-strip crossed with a strange loop construct that defies logical explanation.

There's some interesting discussion threads on this movie at IMDB. This post in particular is worth reading, especially if you didn't like the movie because it didn't make sense in the context of a time travel story. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/board/thread/170267792?d=170284822&p=1#170284822

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Yeah, I couldn't go through them all either, the last time I looked was not long after it came out and there were only a few. They've inadvertently created a sperg trap by deliberately making it so open to interpretation.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
This movie needs to be in here:

Below( 2002)
I picked this up because it had a writing credit for Darren Aronofsky (Pi) and directed by David Twohy (Pitch Black) It's a WWII submarine movie that slowly descends into fear and paranoid madness. The poster mentions Poltergeist which I think is an unfair comparison, because unlike that movie, Below requires no suspension of disbelief depending on your interpretation of it, and it's very open to interpretation. It does have a few cheap jump scares, but they're used sparingly and don't spoil it.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Your Dylan McDermott avatar reminded me that this movie belongs in this thread:

It's a slightly art-house lower budget version of terminator without the time travel aspect. Nothing amazing plot wise, it fit's the sci-fi thriller category at least. I mostly liked it for the visuals, the director had only done music videos before this film. It's got cameos from Iggy Pop and Lemme from motorhead.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Just watched Coherence and thought it was worth mentioning in this thread. It's not a horror, but if you liked Triangle you'll like this one too.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

speshl guy posted:

My only complaint is that they just happen to...

I didn't see it like that at all.

What they read in the book seemed less like exposition and was just a flawed interpretation of events that did very little to explain whatever "magic" was going on. The book was more of a plot device to get them out of the house and force interaction between realities.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Saw a few horrors worth a mention lately. They do contain some body horror. Coincidentally, all three are about the slow transformation of the female lead.

Spring Possibly the only Romance / Horror / Sci-fi I have seen. Great one to watch with the GF.

Honeymoon Stars Rose Leslie (you know nothing Jon Snow) If you like the genre but thought Antichrist was "a bit too much" you'll like this one.

Starry Eyes Has a nice 70's horror vibe to it, with a dash of stereotypical teens and heavy handed metaphors from modern films.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Oculus reminds me of another film, but I can find it even with imdb keyword search... What is the movie where doppelgangers come out of reflections in glass to stalk and kill their originals, I think the slow reveal is that the main character is not an original, but she doesn't know it. Anyone know the movie I mean? I recall it being kind of classy, like the characters are all fairly well off, I think it was from around 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's The Broken. Pretty good from what I remember.

Yeah that was it, thanks. I remember it being good, but don't remember much else about it.

• Locked thread