Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Craig Spradlin posted:

Yellowbrickroad is about a group of people investigating the legend of a small town in New Hampshire, whose inhabitants all picked up and walked up a trail into the woods one day in the 1930s. The team (a psychologist, photographers, cartographers, and a forest ranger) follow the trailhead used by the townsfolk and end up, well, nowhere good. Some people will try to tell you it's a ripoff of The Blair Witch Project, but they are wrong. The only thing it has in common with Blair Witch is the idea of people lost in a possibly-haunted forest. I thought it had more in common with what I'd think a film adaptation of The Navidson Record would be like.

Just saw this one over the weekend. Pretty decent indie flick that makes something great out of such a tiny budget. The first half? drat amazing. There are some really refreshing concepts that don't usually make their way into horror movies. It's a great tension that feels supernatural in a could-be-good-or-evil kind of way. But the instant the (spoiler for dummies who don't know how horror works) body count inevitably starts mounting, it just starts going downhill, rapidly accelerating, to the point where the last couple of minutes just kind of spoil the entire experience.

So if you do watch this, I'd honestly recommend cutting it off the instant you see a building in the frame, about five minutes before the end. Trust me, it's better that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

E the Shaggy posted:

Has anyone seen Melancholia yet? I'm debating whether to see it this weekend.

Saw it not too long ago. The opening and closing are amazing in a way reserved for von Trier, but then it's contrasted with a subdued moodiness that drives the narrative. It's well-shot, well-acted and well-written, for sure, but I felt like most of the human conflict was nullified by the more blatant symbolism of the title's namesake and its philosophical implications (which aren't really explored). Even then, there are some nice touches, like Udo Kier's darkly hilarious role or Dunst's surprising performance.

Pretty much, it's not really a movie that fits in this thread as the sci-fi elements take a back seat to an exploration of depression—but it's definitely worth the price of admission for the first ten minutes alone.

Also, I know Tarkovsky's Stalker has been mentioned in this thread before. Holy poo poo, I don't think a film has ever had such an overwhelming tone of slightly unsettling solitude. The way the Zone is realized is so fantastic, so tranquil. Towards the end, when the characters are sitting in front of the rain, I came to the conclusion that I had found my new favorite movie.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 11, 2011

• Locked thread