Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Craig Spradlin posted:

I like your reading that each of the hits represented some element of society

I personally read it as the ritual is to kill elements of society or archetypes in a particular order in order, like in Cabin in the Woods. The ritual IS to get the cult some new management, but it ends up being Jay, or whatever they summoned into him. That's why at the end of the movie they put a (straw) crown on him and he's no longer trying to escape. He's their new leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I disliked Timecrimes for the same reason I disliked Tucker and Dale vs Evil: Once you understand the premise, all that remains is seeing what kind of crazy contortions the writers are going to have to put the story through to get there. It's entertaining, sure, but not as a story. Whereas, I thought Triangle was actually an effective horror movie.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Slackerish posted:

Yeah but Tucker and Dale vs Evil was hilarious.

Sure, it just wasn't surprising after the premise. Likewise, Timecrimes (I think) makes a better dark comedy than a psychological horror film, while Triangle plays it straight.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Vier posted:

Watched Confessions over the weekend which seems to fit the psychological thriller tag what's are peoples thoughts on it?

I quite liked Confessions, but couldn't help but compare it to that one episode of South Park involving pubes in chili. It's fiendish but utterly ridiculous.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Getsuya posted:

I just posted about this over in the Rate the Last Movie You Watched thread, but anyone who has interest in psychological thrillers or Japanese cinema should check out Zero.
Do you have a link to a trailer for this? I've looked, but I keep seeing other things with similar names.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Getsuya posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lrOsRiqEEs

There's a longer one but it pretty much spells out and spoils the plot so while this one doesn't show very much I'd say it's the safest one to watch.

Well, I don't know a whole lot about what's going on in this movie, but my interest is piqued! Thanks!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Snak posted:

I nearly forgot, but I also watched Odd Thomas. It was... well I loving hate Dean Koontz. I feel like this must have been a pretty stylistically faithful adaption because it felt like a Dean Koontz story in every terrible way. So I thought it was pretty much complete garbage, but almost entirely because of the dialogue and story. The acting and effects were pretty decent. If you somehow like Dean Koontz, this is probably worth a watch.

Odd Thomas is aggressively terrible. I dislike Dean Koontz but I'm usually of the opinion that he can hit one or two decent horror notes per book, but Odd Thomas is utterly without merit. I have to imagine the book was better than that to actually get funding for a movie.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

speshl guy posted:

The guy writes airport rags geared toward the lowest common denominator for impulse buys, did anyone think the movie based on his work would be any different

I knew it would be bad, I didn't expect it to be that bad. Phantoms and Demon Seed were at least competent as B-movies.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

coyo7e posted:

a lot more sad creepy epilogue where he spends a whole lot of time having sex with the ghost of his girlfriend
:ohdear:

I'm fine with books pre-written to be turned into movies, but if he's going to do that I expect the movies that get squeezed out to be better than this. Like, he's had some hits, but looking at his filmography most of them are made-for-tv or direct-to-video. I made the mistake of reading 77 Shadow Street because it sounded like it would make for a decent horror movie, and it turned out to be a rant on the dangers of liberal thinking. I wish they'd make it into a movie, because I'd love to see real actors being mouthpieces for Koontz' terrible views.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

el oso posted:

I just watched Oculus today and enjoyed it a lot. I love movies that mess with the perception of reality and the mixing of the past and present events was really dynamic.

But daaaamn that ending was bleak. I expect most horror movies to end with a standard "evil never dies" type of ending, but usually there is some sort of victory, no matter how small. But nope, not here.

And then I watched the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers. :getin:

I liked Oculus more than some of the posters here seem to, but Absentia was, I think, a way better movie. It's one I keep coming back to, just because the premise of the monster is so strange. Oculus is 1408 with a mirror, but Absentia is Lovecraft levels of strangeness without being all tentacles and suchlike.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Irony.or.Death posted:

As for Absentia: characters that are impossible for what I am going to stereotype as most horror fans to relate to.
They're not a bunch of teenagers going to a cabin in the woods for a weekend? They're not a bunch of anhedonic people waiting for a magic box to turn their lives around?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Snak posted:

him killing his wife and kid is super heavy-handedly foreshadowed by the foam sword fight where he stabs them both as they fall on the ground

Yeah, I don't care how heavily they foreshadow, I'd never see a swordfight between the main character and his wife who is secretly a cultist, with their son on her back, in a hunchback disguise coming. I'd way sooner assume they were playing around, that it was a fun detail to show that he has a nice home life and is not always controlled by anger issues.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Snak posted:

Is The Shrine any good? It was on netflix for a long time, but I don't think I ever watched it.

I liked it. I thought the twist was good, and I liked what the movie did.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kin posted:

So i'm hosting a horror double bill night for my friends soon and i'm looking for some good ideas on genuinely scary films.

Like, personally, i've never really found supernatural films to be that scary but i'd be happy to put one on that fits the psychological horror aspect.

I was thinking of Ghostwatch (the clever filming techniques are amazing) and maybe something like Eden Lake or The Others but it would be good to get some other suggestions.

Basically, i want people to walk out feeling unnerved but not in a "man i wasted my time watching that" kind of way.

Would people consider Kill List a psychological horror movie?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kin posted:

This is literally what happened at our last double bill a few weeks ago. Everyone pretty much hated it.
If your friends didn't like Kill List, get new friends.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I can't make you like Kill List, but I can say that I liked Lake Mungo again after I re-watched it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

PTizzle posted:

Is The Signal (2014) any good? I've been meaning to watch it but it's proving a bit annoying to track down.
The Signal (2014) is really enjoyable, but I felt it was more sci-fi than horror. While you're at it, go and catch the 2007 The Signal too!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For the record, I did not care for TimeCrimes.
(and Timecrimes, kinda) is there's a time loop that involves the main character doing something out of character or that doesn't make sense in order to preserve or create the loop, even after he figures out the loop is taking place.
I've posted this a bunch before, but yeah, this, basically. Triangle does not have this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

the one with the boat
they should have called it that

• Locked thread