Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Seventh Arrow posted:

One of my all-time favourite suspense-laden scary movies is The Broken. Without giving too much away, the movie begins with a woman who sees a woman looking identical herself driving a car down the street and decides to follow her to her apartment. From there, a theme about doppelgangers and their intentions develops, although thankfully the film never tries to explain too much. I found that the things that some critics disliked about the film (the slow pacing, the re-use of thematic music) are exactly what I loved about it. It's definitely different, and very creepy.

I can't agree with this more. It is a very slow film but not in the respect that nothing happens - there is actually quite a bit of plot but it's extremely deliberate in how it reveals its scenes. I found myself holding my breath and times just waiting for the next "scare" which were always well done. The tension is held early and often throughout the film.

Of all the after dark films, this was my absolute favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hazo posted:

You namedropped it heavily in your first post, but since, interestingly, nobody's directly addressed it so far...

Silent Hill is pretty drat good.

I absolutely love the "close, dark, and atmospheric" sub-genre of horror films (and this thread has given me many more to check out!), and while Silent Hill does get a little too gore-ish towards the end (which, in my opinion, drags it down), it definitely echoes similar movies like Jacob's Ladder, The Mist, and Session 9.

I've never touched the video game series, but:
The movie revolves around a woman stranded and searching for her daughter in a small abandoned community (allegedly based on on the modern-day perpetually-burning ghost town of Centralia, PA), whose atmosphere changes horifically every time the air raid siren goes off and subsequently makes every movie-goer poo poo him or herself.

...I'd like to include a video or sound clip here of the actual stand-alone air raid siren on which the movie sound effect was based, but over the years the Google results for "Silent Hill siren" have been replaced with kids begging for ringtones. Rest assured though, it's pretty creepy.

The atmosphere of Silent Hill was the best part about it. It's not a strong film otherwise; the writing is pretty weak and Sean Bean feels really tacked on (love the guy though). The gore in the final act was so absurd it took me out out of the film. It's worth a watch for sure though.

And drat do I love the Broken. One of the slowest horror films I've ever seen that still managed to keep me in a state of tension. I think I'm going to give Yellowbrick road a watch this weekend. Horror is a really divisive genre but I like what I've heard despite the complaints so we'll see.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crackerman posted:

See also: Pyramid Head.

There was a lot of potential there but fan service was a huge loving problem for that film.

I'm a Silent Hill fan and I agree with this.

• Locked thread