Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Craig Spradlin posted:

I place as much blame on fans of the game series as I do the studio. If they'd just been allowed to tell a story about the town of Silent Hill without shoehorning in characters from the game or dealing with issues of continuity raised by a vocal fanbase, it could have been a really good American horror film. As it was, it was a missed opportunity.

See also: Pyramid Head.

There was a lot of potential there but fan service was a huge loving problem for that film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

the Bunt posted:

not to mention it's in 3D :/

And it has Malcolm McDowell which is usually a bad sign nowadays.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I liked Session 9 until it was revealed nothing really supernatural was going on. I think it had great potential as a creepy ghost story but it became "he flipped his poo poo because his wife spilled some pasta then killed he everyone." It's been many years since I saw it though so I might be misremembering.

It's worth a watch and is a very nice looking film at least. It also has this.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

The book isn't fiction...paranormal researcher

Um. I don't know how to break this to you.

I've always thought the film was okay though, it's just a bit flat. It has some great creepy moments like the aforementioned "chapstick" scene and the great moment where Gere slams a wardrobe door with a mirror and the door bounces back and briefly shows a reflection of someone on the other side of the room. It's worth a watch if you don't expect a classic or anything.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I have no idea, I tried looking for it on youtube but I can't seem to find the specific scene.

The other thing I thought was cool was when they broke down Indred Cold's voice and it turned out it was purely electronic with no human element at all, like it was being created purely from the signal on the phone line.

That film has a lot of wasted potential.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Roumba posted:

What are peoples' opinions of The Ninth Gate? For sure, it has some cheesy parts Keypad: 6 - 6 - 6 but I felt the movie did a good job of letting you know just as much as Depp's character does, making you as curious as he is. It held a strange tension for me even though it's quite a slow movie and even has a number of humorous parts.

Maybe I just like it because there are some hot chicks in it and that I secretly hope that when I'm 40 I can look as good in glasses as he does. Who knows.

I really like The Ninth Gate too and if you enjoyed it the first time it really benefits from repeated viewings because you start to pick up on little clues that all come together in the end that you might have missed the first time.

It's always nice to see Depp play a pretty normal, if a bit bookish and dorky, guy instead of some wAcKy poo poo for a change too.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Lasher posted:

Went back a few pages t see if The Borderlands/Final Prayer had been mentioned.

Just finished watching it with my mate and we're both just utterly horrified. It's a found-footage film, but done in a much better way than the usual. The basic premise is a Vatican team are sent to a remote church to debunk a miracle but they find something way beyond their control.

The tension is gripping from the get go. Within the first 10 minutes I was more invested in this flick than the combined sum of all the other films we watched today. It genuinely feels like a real documentary at times which just lets it get right under your skin. There's a sense of isolation and hopelessness throughout which is balanced brilliantly by the two leads who you genuinely begin to care for with their back and forths. But then the film gets into the final ten minutes and, well I'm not usually one to say, "JUST WATCH IT!" Because to be honest, it could rub people the wrong way with how much the tone shift. It goes from creeping dread to balls out psychotic but jesus, it's a hard kick to the gut that really punctuates the build up and I loved it even though it's going to haunt me.

I really liked this. It was intriguing and pretty understated the whole way through, what few scares there were were really effective and then the ending came along and kicked me right in the balls.

It bothered me for days afterwards.

That is also a great poster I’ve never seen before.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Too much of them running around the tunnels shouting for each other but come on - leads getting graphically digested as they scream in the bowels of an ancient beast was quite the surprise.

And yes, as for it being found footage I like the think the giant church monster poo poo the cameras into a field and someone found them by chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Lasher posted:

What I loved more than I realised at the time was the fella just breaking down and crying at the end.

Week on and it's still on my mind.

Yeah that was part of why the ending bothered me (in a good way) for a long time. He lays on the “waaayyy I’m a lad, rosy bollocks, etc” performance a bit thick for a lot of the film but his panic and desperation at the end really felt genuine.

• Locked thread