Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Candyman

we dare you to say his name five times

Helen Lyle is a student writing a thesis on Urban myths who comes across the story of The Candyman. Following the stories to a run down housing project, Helen becomes increasingly embroiled in a series of disturbing events surround this legend

I'm no horror officianado, but I always really liked this film. There were enough twists and turns to keep me guessing, but more than that it always came across as a pretty dignified and thoughtful take on the "supernatural monster gonna kill you!" genre. The housing project is a fantastic setting as the everyday horror of poverty and violence is juxtaposed with the supernatural horrors of the Candyman. It also brings in the classic move of the protagonists sanity being questioned both by her and those around her, distrust and paranoia really ramping up the tension.

Props have to go out to Philip Glass for a marvellously atmospheric and haunting score that plays on a strange melancholia and wistfullness rather than just crashing in with bombastic thriller type music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread