Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the lesson has to be "that you can never escape it". I think it's more "Here's a story of a person who tried really hard, and did a lot of things right, but even they were devastated by this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

speshl guy posted:

The characters in those two films were so wholly unequipped to confront their demons that they were essentially given impossible tasks. There was no answer or escape for them.

Yeah, but I don't think the message is supposed to be that "trauma is inescapable" i.e "no one can escape their past trauma".

Like it's more of a cautionary tale, "Even if you think you have your poo poo together, emotional poo poo from your past can blindside you", and then you find out how put together your poo poo really is.

I don't know, I haven't seen Absentia yet, so I can only comment on how Oculus made me feel. Wasn't trying to say you were wrong.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's okay, you didn't :)

I'll try to watch Absentia soon. My horror-movie-watching buddy has been really overworked recently, so we haven't found time for many films.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

I miss the time when my friends cared about movies. Now they just play Magic the Gathering all the god drat time.

In their defense, Magic is a pretty great way to waste your entire life and all your money...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Really? I thought the ending was generic and predictable... To me the best part of it was the intense sense of unease and revulsion it makes you feel for the first 2/3...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Brendan Rodgers posted:

How the gently caress can you predict that ending? A vague idea of what's going on sure, but the way things played out, no way.

I love the story that was implied and wasn't even on screen,from the war crimes hinted at in Kiev, to Jay's future as some type of possessed cult leader, the existence of some type of cult conspiring in all levels of British politics towards some bizarre ritual, and it's all portrayed in this hyper realistic way that perhaps works better if you're British.

Well, could I predict the exact nature of the cult? no, but it's pretty standard for movies that have a weird cult element, which is foreshadowed by the woman scratching the symbol on the back of the mirror, and him killing his wife and kid is super heavy-handedly foreshadowed by the foam sword fight where he stabs them both as they fall on the ground. Both of these happen very early on, so unless you forget about them, it's pretty natural to assume things are going that direction

Kill List
has basically the same ending twist as Last Exorcism.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah this thread is great. It's my favorite slow moving/low volume thread on the entire forums I think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I watch a lot of horror and thriller films, and the patterns of foreshadowing and twists in the genre just becomes really apparent after awhile. It's not a bad thing, I don't mind if I'm able to predict the ending, as long as the story is told well. I enjoy movies for their ability to make me think and feel in interesting ways, not to be surprised by the twist. Yeah, a really great twist is fun, but a good movie is still good when you know the twist. I would say that Kill List is pretty powerful even if you know the ending. I just don't think that the twist itself is part of what makes it good. There's lots of things that I don't like about it, but that's more of a matter of personal taste rather than the quality of the product. I think Kill List does it's job too well. It makes me feel too uncomfortable for how interesting it is. So it's a very effective film, but I'm not sure I would say that I like it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought The Conjuring was total garbage. Like it was one cliche after another until it finally ended. The only thing that wasn't cliche about it was that it had kind of a happy ending, I think?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MagnumOpus posted:

I don't disagree with your evaluation of the content, it's pretty spot on and fair. I do think that it is a very well executed example of that heavily cliched genre.

Well that's something I respect, even if I disagree with this example. I often find that I like movies which I feel are well executed despite being unoriginal. As I get older, I feel more and more that originality is one of the most over-rated aspects of art. Not that it's a bad thing by any means, but people tend to place too much value on originality and expect it to carry a piece, when it hardly makes up for poor execution.

Originality in visual effects, especially in horror, can be a pretty big deal though. Most of my examples are from other genres so that's not really something for this thread.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is The Shrine any good? It was on netflix for a long time, but I don't think I ever watched it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, that's like the major divide between slashers and horror thrillers. In a slasher, it's okay to see the killer, because the fear is supposed to be survival driven and it's focused mostly on the characters's fear of dying and getting the viewer to empathize or sympathize with the character. The Horror element of slashers is focused almost completely on the characters with very little attempt to scare the viewer. In horror thrillers/psychological horror/ghost stories etc, there's much more focus on fear of the unknown, which can be directed more towards the viewer.

This disconnect makes crossover between these two subgenres very difficult because the viewer kind of has to switch gears.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What loving movie did you watch? Is there gore in Insidious? I haven't seen it since like, it came out or whatever, but I thought it was almost entirely haunting poo poo?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Interesting, what didn't you care for in the ending of It Follows?

I assume they mean the swimming pool sequence and not the very end. I would kind of agree with that. It wasn't terrible, but it was the weakest sequence of the film in my opinion.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, I would say that the movie is about fears and consequences of sex. These are things that don't really go away. The situation at the end of the movie is different than the beginning because the protagonist has found a partner she wants to stay with face their problems together. You cannot escape the scary and dangerous aspects of life. They follow you forever. All you can do is find someone to face them with. That's the story. it's really funny to me that you think it's a flaw that they didn't learn more about the ghost/monster. that poo poo seriously did not need explained. You mention involving the authorities, but you might have noticed that the absence of authority figures is a theme in the movie. The reason that sex is scary to the protagonists is that they don't have good role models and their parents are either absent or drunk.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also worth pointing out that the movie specifically didn't take place in a particular time period. Almost all the cars are old, but that one girl has a scifi e-reader that doesn't exist irl.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I saw it. It was really pretty. I also like that it was kind of a feminist story. I posted in the genchat thread that I think it would have been better without 90% of the ghosts. They were by far the weakest part of the movie.

The acting is super-good. Jessica Chastain has a great scene where she's talking and doing something with her hands at the same time and it's captivating. Lots of great details like that in the movie.

Kate Hawley's costume design is amazing and is tied into the color direction.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Paolomania posted:

Also loved the femme-fight at the end. No descent into action-heroism and one-liners, just two stressed gentlewomen, metal implements, and life-or-death stakes.

Actually there was a one-liner, and it was great. I liked how Hunnam's character showed up like a savior, but then immediately needed saving. Like the expectation was maybe that Hiddleston and Hunnam would fight. But then that's not even close to what happens.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really like Kill List either. I liked things about it. I'm in the boat that didn't care for the ending because it seemed really cliche and boring for a movie that was so different and interesting up until that point.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

This really isn't much of a spoiler because it's literally the first minute of the film, but the way they introduce Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character is really subtle and well done. She's on the phone, she leaves a ring on the counter, we don't hear dialogue, and then she leaves and heads out of town. It conveys a lot with very little, and I really liked how that one little silent scene covers everything you need to know about her before the plot kicks in.
I really dug that too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

I have a habit of looking forward to movies for ages, reading and listening to a bunch about them, never seeing them when they are finally released (in Australia) and then sitting on my PC until I get a chance to watch something when the family is out. Finally got around to watching The Witch, and holy poo poo that was good. The authentic period touches really elevated the movie for me.

Yeah, I felt really transported to another time and place.

edit: With "epics" I'm used to, as a viewer, "being transported to a fantasy world" like Lord of the Rings, or whatever, but that's a whole different type of suspension of disbelief. This put you up close and personal with people who were from another world, but a real world that actually existed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

Ya that looked interesting but the trailer was a bit too revealing imo. Should have just shown the parents acting a bit weird and not going full psycho which kinda ruins the suspense of the movie.

Like, for example, this comment would if someone didn't watch the trailer...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the minority, but I think The Game is a terrible movie. And I like both Michael Douglas and David Fincher.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Aren't there like 4 movies called Triangle? Which one are we talking about here?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well presumably the Annabelle spin-off isn't affected by the lawsuit over The Conjuring films, so...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know the actual details, but what I read on these forums is that some guy wrote a book which was a fictionalized account of the historical characters that The Conjuring is based on. This book was written before the films, and the films contain fictional details that were in the book but not in real life. So he's suing them, because even though they say "we just based this off the same historical source material as you" they clearly plagiarized some things from his book.

But if the Annabelle doll isn't something that was in his book, then presumably they can keep churning those out.

On topic: I recently watched A Cure For Wellness. Not amazing, very pretty. Worth a watch. I think it has some focus issues, but I like a lot of the visuals, so...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

Seconded. It's a bit of a slog at two and a half hours, but it's very pretty. It might've helped to have a more active protagonist who actually pieces together the mystery instead of just being handed new information every twenty minutes by a supporting character. It's doubly frustrating that the movie so obviously telegraphs all its big reveals. The wait for the protagonist to piece together what the audience has known for the past forty minutes is killer.

But it's very pretty, and it's entertaining enough for a single watch. Give Gore Verbinski more money so he can make more very pretty movies, please.

There are also a lot of things that just don't seem to make sense and are only in the movie as "misdirection". Which is annoying, because when you've figured out what's going on, and they do something that doesn't make sense, and then the reveal of what's going on confirms that it doesn't really make sense is just like... why is this two and a half hours? Cut out the parts that only exist for misdirection and make it two hours!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And Don't Breathe. You're Next. 10 Cloverfield Lane.

I really wanted to see It Comes at Night, but I haven't yet.

• Locked thread