Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

There is a great tradition of ghost stories on Christmas Eve on British television, and although you have to appreciate the limited budget and outdated special effects, these made-for-TV movies have moments of genuine terror.

There are two versions of M.R. James' classic ghost story Oh, Whistle and I'll Come To You, My Lad; one from 1968 with Michael Hordern, and one from 2010 with John Hurt. Both are excellent, the 68 version is more true to the original story, where as the 2010 version takes a few liberties of its own. There is something extremely chilling about the distant presence following the protagonist at twilight on a forgotten English beach. Who is this who comes?

The Woman In Black will be seeing a remake starring Daniel Radcliffe this year, but the one from 1982 could have only been an inspiration for the creators of movies like The Others. Once again nothing owns more than distant malevolent presences moving inexorably closer to the protagonist against the setting of a desolate rural place.

Based on the Dickensian short story, The Signalman (1976) is another classic. The atmosphere is oppressive, the train tunnel with its singular red light still haunts me to this day.

I love these. Is there any reason you didn't mention A Warning to the Curious? I think it's my favorite.

Also gotta second your Nigel Kneale recommendation - "After Barty's Party" and "Baby" are terrific. Holy gently caress Baby is some scary poo poo. The Quatermass stories are, of course, his best, but I've always loved his script for The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas. There's a lot of The Thing in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

echoplex posted:

Someone posted the cover of the Sorcerer soundtrack they had on vinyl, which was this image:

That's an incredibly captivating, intriguing image. I imagine the film is probably rubbish. But it's that bait-and-switch that got me watching a lot of terrible films (like The Keep).

It's almost as good as Wages of Fear, and it uses the setting much better. That image is actually a really accurate look at what it's like.

The Keep isn't a terrible film, man! It's, like, half of a terrible film. But the first hour or so is pretty good... :(

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

echoplex posted:

Man, that is cool. It looks like Phase IV.

Too bad it's from the lovely part of the movie.

• Locked thread