Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dalai Lamacide posted:

I really got into "Sphere" when I saw the beginning of it one day, kept watching on the edge of my seat. Then the jellyfish attack kills Queen Latifah and it just kinda got lame and weird. I did buy the book though to see if it was any better, haven't read it yet. Also your name is awesome.

For those that saw the movie version of Sphere and don't feel like reading the book:

The book is probably more successful at conveying the concept of what the sphere actually is and how it works. It's still somewhat of an abstraction in that all we know of the sphere is that it was obtained by the people on board the crashed starship.

It's not my favorite Crichton book by a longshot and it follows his typical tried-and-true formula of "people are stuck in an inaccessible location and menaced by some vaguely plausible sci-fi plot device". Still, when the book has the space and time to discuss its characters at length- how they think, what they feel- it fleshes out the sphere's purpose in a much better fashion than the movie did. When you deal with the manifestation of objects from thoughts in a movie, you can either 1)burn celluloid explaining it fully for the audience, 2)gloss over it, or 3)make it loving funny ("It's the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.")

As a movie, I think Sphere probably falls under the "gloss over it" category. I think the movie, like the book, spent a great deal of time building suspense. Unlike the book, there wasn't enough room to completely get into the sphere's abilities, the significance of "Jerry", and fully develop the realization that the biggest threat on board the underwater station isn't the sphere, it's the station's own crew.

The movie is cast very well and the actors they chose for the movie are very close to the descriptions given in the book, particularly Stone, Latifah, and Jackson. The jellyfish attack goes down in pretty much the same fashion in the movie as it did in the book. The squid is given a much greater role. Finally, the end of the movie doesn't involve the sphere flying off and there's a bit of ambiguity in whether or not one or more of the surviving crew members intentionally forgot about the sphere's "powers". But again, that's the screenplay putting the role of the antagonist directly onto the sphere itself, and not on the crew members.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread