Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Crackerman posted:

See also: Pyramid Head.

There was a lot of potential there but fan service was a huge loving problem for that film.

I'm a big Silent Hill fan too, but I actually liked the movie. I admit, I'm definitely in the minority, but I think it was much more true to the 'feel' and mythology of Silent Hill than the last couple games have been. It's also a fairly good horror movie overall, although it focuses way more on visuals and atmosphere than pacing, characters, or story.

Trying to tie elements from the games into the story was indeed one of its weakest elements. Pyramid Head, the child's story, the female cop, none of them really fit in with anything else, and felt really tacked on.

Overall, I wouldn't say it's that good of a movie, but it's nowhere as bad as some people say it is, and it's still the best video game to movie adaptation I know. I give it around 2 stars out of 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

FourLeaf posted:

Natalie Portman did a great job in the lead role. This movie really played on one of my personal fears, which is being so psychotic that one never knows if anything that happens is real or not. And the soundtrack is incredible.

Great movie. They did a really good job of making Nina sympathetic, despite being completely insane. Besides being genuinely frightening and tense, it's also a very sad and tragic movie, because with the possible exception of her equally insane mother, no one really cares about Nina, what she wants, or her mental state. All they care about, and thus, all that matters to Nina herself, is how well she dances. Everyone just keeps pushing and pushing not caring until it literally kills her.

When it comes to psychological horror/thriller movies, my favorites are the ones of David Lynch. Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire being two very good ones (although Inland Empire is admittedly overly long). What really gets me about his work is that I usually feel terrified while watching them, but I have no idea why. I can just tell by looking at a scene that something is terribly wrong, and it always is. Granted, something is usually wrong in a thriller movie, but Lynch somehow makes the danger seem far more personal, as if the viewer themselves are in trouble.

Blompkin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 20, 2012

• Locked thread