Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Whistle and I'll Come To You
I just saw the 1968 version for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I haven't stopped thinking about it. Not only is it genuinely frightening but it boasts a central performance (by Michael Hordern) that I found both funny and heartbreaking. He's a kind of intellectual Mr. Bean sort and it is an odd but very effective deviation from the source material; I could probably have watched 45 minutes of the man simply eating breakfast. I've been trying to get everyone I know to see it. I'm sure it will become one of my all-time favourites.

So anyway, seeing it mentioned in the same post, I tracked down The Woman In Black. Thank you thank you thank you. It's a bit of a slow start but it becomes everything I love in a good ghost story.

This was my favourite moment. She takes two steps toward him in closeup, and then it cuts to this wider shot with her in the background where she is ever-so-slightly hunched over in an incredibly menacing way, getting ready to chase him down. The camera follows Kidd as he takes off and we don't see her again for quite some time, but this last, fleeting image of her hunched silhouette haunts every single subsequent shot to the point where I was dreading each time a door opened or a corner was turned. What a great little movie. Why can't made-for-TV stuff be this good anymore?

I also tracked down the adaptation of James' A Warning to the Curious. I wasn't as taken with it as I was with Whistle, but it had some great moments, and some terrific shots as well. I thought it would have benefitted from Whistle's B&W cinematography but this long shot of the murderer on the hill will stay with me for a while:

Great stuff. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.

echoplex posted:

For years I thought the appearing in the bedroom scare was the ending, so the lake scene was a good surprise.
I was going to cap her final appearance there too because it's almost as shocking as her first, but that would have revealed too much. The absolute wrongness of where she stands in that last moment is absolutely horrible. Goddammit, I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

Here's my suggestion:

John Brahm's The Lodger, from 1944, a remake of Hitchcock's original (which I have not seen). It's an account - fictional, obviously - of the infamous Jack the Ripper. It features a stunning central performance from an actor named Laird Cregar, who was only 29 (and who died within a year) but his ability to so convincingly play well beyond his years reminds me of Orson Welles.

It's got a great atmosphere and the feeling of dread sets in almost immediately. Cregar brings a maddening sense of humanity to the role; you desperately hope he hasn't done the things you suspect him of.

The b&w photography is perfect. It reminds me of Fritz Lang's M, actually, both visually and thematically (although, now that I think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Lang had seen the original Hitchcock film, so who knows what influenced what, if at all).

Also, Merle Oberon, <3

• Locked thread