Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

haunted sleep posted:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned The Mothman Prophecies. Lots of people aren't impressed by it, but I've always really liked it. It builds up some good atmosphere, and some scenes are just unnerving. The chapstick scene bugged my girlfriend for a long time. She'd get creeped out whenever she heard strange noises or voices on the phone.

The movie has some nice cinematography, and the score by Tomandandy really enhances the atmosphere.

My big problem with this was how it was structured. The last 20 or so minutes of the movie establish, build up to and then resolve a conflict that has nothing to do with the rest of the story. It's as though they couldn't find any conflict in the main mystery so they had to invent one to make the third act have anything resembling resolution.

I did enjoy parts of it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

mistaya posted:

The point of Saw isn't just to watch people die in increasingly horrible/ridiculous ways. You can escape the trap, and it's always a trap of your own making.

In theory this is the case. In practice the series breaks this rule so many times with so many characters in so many ways that it's practically meaningless.

That said, the first movie did an okay job of conveying the sense of terror you'd have if you woke up in an abandoned bathroom chained to a toilet with a stranger and a dead body, even if it was amateurish as all hell at points and kept breaking the claustrophobia by flashing back to other areas outside the room (Panic Room had the same issue).

sethsez fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 24, 2012

• Locked thread