Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

Boxing

Most people don't know poo poo about boxing.
  • In this thread, you can ask any general questions about boxing and how it compares to the other martial arts. There is a lot of equipment shared between boxing and other striking disciplines, so asking "are these gloves crappy?" in this thread is perfectly fine.
  • W&W has a boxing training thread where you can discuss training boxing specifically. It gets less traffic than this thread but boxing culture can be a bit different sometimes.
  • The boxing thread in the punchsport pagoda is where you'll go if you'd like to discuss fights as a spectator rather than a participant.

Urgh there's a new boxing thread in the pagoda if you want to update the thing in the OP sorry. edited my post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
X-post from old thread.

I've got a new tattoo that's 4 days old, Can I roll tonight?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Pres posted:

X-post from old thread.

I've got a new tattoo that's 4 days old, Can I roll tonight?

Would be better not to, but if it's on your arm and exposed the least you should do is cover it up. I cut the bottom off a sock and put it over mine when it was fresh.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar

niethan posted:

Would be better not to, but if it's on your arm and exposed the least you should do is cover it up. I cut the bottom off a sock and put it over mine when it was fresh.

Okay cool, It's doing that horrible peeling bit now, I'll get some tubing bandage and put that over and not spar.

On another note, Chico Mendez has just taken over my Gym and I've got a 4 hour Seminar with him and 4 other black belts in Cheltenham for £10. Bargin

widunder
May 2, 2002
I wouldn't roll for atleast 10 days or more with a new tattoo. Especially not in a gi.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

myth, i've never seen a boxer pull off as many superman punches as gsp

Notable good mma boxer Georges St. Pierre.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
To be fair, at that point GSP had no depth of vision.

Also, most people might not know poo poo about boxing

But most boxers don't know poo poo

(ps: I'm faketrolling don't be mad)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Smegmatron posted:

That owns hard but BJJ newbies reading A/T probably aren't the best group to be encouraging into flying armbars. If we're going to do that, I'd put in a gif of Garza's flying triangle at UFC 129.

P.S XGuard put the BJJ writeup in the last thread into the second post in this one. It's probably too long for the first post.

Can you repost it outside quotes? I can't C/P the old one without losing the pictures and url links because I cannot quote a quote (or just tell me how to do that).

Also look again Sucka TKD is in the OP as an asterisk under practical/competitive styles.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Bohemian Nights posted:

To be fair, at that point GSP had no depth of vision.

Well especially if you have no depth perception throwing straight punches seems like a good idea

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Xguard86 posted:

Can you repost it outside quotes? I can't C/P the old one without losing the pictures and url links because I cannot quote a quote (or just tell me how to do that).

Quotes are gone on the post in the old thread. Also added the Beginning BJJ link to it.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
What do you all think about this TKD place? It's close to my house and I was thinking about switching my son there.

http://www.uma-musado.com/?q=node/1

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Here's a Sambo write-up, shamelessly copied and pasted (and edited) from my school's website:

quote:

An acronym for “SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya” or “Self-defense without weapons”, Sambo is a form of sport, self-defense, and combat established in the former Soviet Union during the early twentieth century. Under the leadership of Sambo’s forefathers V.S. Oshchepkov, V.A. Spiridinov, and A. A. Kharlampiev, indigenous fighting styles from regions including Japan, China, Mongolia, India, Africa, Europe, North America, Caucasus, and Russia were studied and blended into what is now known as Sambo. After generations of civilian and military refinement, Sambo has evolved into an extremely formidable fighting art with principles applicable to martial artists of any style. Sambo’s arsenal includes, but is not limited to, strikes, joint locks, chokes, throws, ground fighting, and weapons. Like all fighting systems, Sambo continues to grow and evolve in both its sport and combat variants.

Sambo’s effectiveness lies in the student’s ability to master and flow with his or her own natural body movements. Inasmuch, Sambo training begins with an examination of one’s instinctive approaches to movement. Once the student begins to move freely and comfortably, alone and in tandem with other students, techniques are taught that synchronize with the student’s innate movement style and individual preferences. In Sambo training of this kind, techniques evolve out of and generate their power from fluid, confident, and comfortable understanding of physical movement and energy manipulation. Standardized technique is secondary to improvisational movement.

This is not to say that strength, power, and technique do not play a role in Sambo. Quite the opposite, refined technique, power, and strategy are integral to Sambo’s effectiveness. As students progress, they begin to negotiate an individual balance between strength and movement - fortifying devastating strikes, throws, and combative techniques. In essence, every practitioner practices a system of Sambo unique to his or her self. Unlike most other martial arts, Sambo does not practice standardized kata, forms, or curriculum.

Sambo practiced as a sport comes in several different flavors. Sport sambo in Russia is most similar to Judo, with an emphasis on throws and pins, and very limited time on the ground to finish submissions. There is also "combat sambo" the sport -- distinct from combat sambo, which is essentially military combatives meant for practical self-defense -- which is like a hybrid of regular sport sambo and mixed martial arts, where there is still scoring from takedowns and pins, but with the addition of punches, kicks, and knees.

In the US, many schools (particularly members of the American Sambo Association) compete in "freestyle sambo" which is a modified ruleset for sport sambo in which more emphasis is placed on the grappling aspect of sambo, and there is more time spent on the ground after a takedown.

An important distinction between sambo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is that sambo generally spends more time learning and practicing leglocks and less time on the guard, due to the pinning rules and limited grappling time (conversely, because you can't reap the leg during leg control in BJJ and because beginners usually don't learn leglocks at all, leglocks get less attention). This isn't to say that any given sambo/BJJ practitioner or school won't be great at one or the other, though.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 5, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ZoneManagement posted:

What do you all think about this TKD place? It's close to my house and I was thinking about switching my son there.

http://www.uma-musado.com/?q=node/1

Wow, no. Aside from the fact that they don't seem to be WTF or ITF affiliated, stuff like this (in the rules section) is a big red flag:

quote:

Do not participate in activities held by a school or club other than Universal Martial Arts (or their affiliates) without permission from the Teachers/instructors.

Also, a lot of their accomplishments on the "about us" page are either completely vague/unsubstantiated ("10 time state champion and 5-time national champion") or seem like bullshit ("USMAA Millenium Hall of Fame" -- googling this brings up that school's website as the first hit, and the USMAA site is circa 1997 geocities quality and does not mention the instructor in the Hall of Fame section).

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 5, 2011

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Yea... some of the items in that rules section is pretty sketchy. It looks like they're really into brick breaking and stuff so I guess if you want your kid to be an accomplished breaker of sticks and bricks instead of maybe a gay pyjama wearing man hugger thats cool.

Judo for kids is usually pretty cheap. Kids usually love that poo poo cause they mostly just do like break-falls and fun stuff like that at first..

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KidDynamite posted:

I want to point out to MMA newbies that that is not how GSP usually strikes, and I have no idea why he downgraded his own game like that. He was windmilling before he got the eye injury.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

kimbo305 posted:

I want to point out to MMA newbies that that is not how GSP usually strikes, and I have no idea why he downgraded his own game like that. He was windmilling before he got the eye injury.

yeah I had the same opinion watching the fight. He kept swinging for the fences like a maniac instead of using his usual approach. I think he knew shields wasn't any good standing up and watching videos they thought he could catch him with a big overhand somehow.

Seemed very weird to me and it wasn't all that successful. All his good hits were straight punches and supermans.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

it's interesting that you didn't debate the effectiveness of superman punches in boxing matches

freddy roach is a genius

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

Also look again Sucka TKD is in the OP as an asterisk under practical/competitive styles.

that's some shameful poo poo

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

it's interesting that you didn't debate the effectiveness of superman punches in boxing matches

freddy roach is a genius

I don't think superman punches are effective in boxing because a boxer will know you're not going to kick them so there's no fake out. I sparred with an MMA guy MMA rules to takedowns and he tried a superman punch and I just slipped it because I was still in boxing mode. It definitely works in MMA though.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

kimbo305 posted:

I feel like it was a combination of having no fear of Jake's stand up and trying to *hopefully* KO him in his native land, in front of the biggest crowd he'll ever fight in front of.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fawker posted:

I feel like it was a combination of having no fear of Jake's stand up and trying to *hopefully* KO him in his native land, in front of the biggest crowd he'll ever fight in front of.

I think it was just Georges being a dumb. Seriously they guy pays Freddie Roach a lot of money to train him and I'm pretty sure Freddie would have spit in his face if he came back to his corner after throwing those rights. Ricardo Mayorga throws better punches than that. MAYORGA!!!

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

I don't think superman punches are effective in boxing because a boxer will know you're not going to kick them so there's no fake out.

sounds like an excuse

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Paul Pot posted:

sounds like an excuse

Speaking of Mayorga, I would probably go to check if he feinted a kick if I was boxing sparring him.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I have a friend (not really a friend, but someone I know) who is convinced that Aikido is the be all and end all in a fight. I have tried showing him MMA/UFC and what not but he has all this bull poo poo about why it doesn't count. Is there a right up any where on how rubbish Aikido really is in the physical combat sense? I know bullshido used to have these great Your Martial Art sucks videos but I can't find an Aikido one.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Have a friendly spar and punch him in the face?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

KidDynamite posted:

Have a friendly spar and punch him in the face?

That.

Just ask him for a friendly fight. Throw some punches to show him that he can't catch them, then hug him, bring him to the ground and armbar him.

But mostly he won't change his mind.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been interested in martial arts for years but with my leg problem and overall lack of fitness I've avoided it. Since the fall of 2009 I've been doing basic weight training and then in 2010 I started running as well. There's a Krav Maga place nearby but I still suspect I'm not ready considering how intense their warmups are.

They offer an early morning heavy bag/kettle bell class and I was wondering if that might be a good way for me to try and get to a state where I can explore their self defense classes without embarrassing myself.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Just go. Why would you have to get in shape to get in shape? It makes no sense. You go do Krav and you're body will develop what you need to excel at it. There no other way around it. Sure you may suck some wind or puke but there's no point in delaying you're training.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been interested in martial arts for years but with my leg problem and overall lack of fitness I've avoided it. Since the fall of 2009 I've been doing basic weight training and then in 2010 I started running as well. There's a Krav Maga place nearby but I still suspect I'm not ready considering how intense their warmups are.

They offer an early morning heavy bag/kettle bell class and I was wondering if that might be a good way for me to try and get to a state where I can explore their self defense classes without embarrassing myself.

Just go to a class and do what you can. No one will think any less of you for it. Don't go to the point where you puke, but just try. The body types there run from obese to loving unbelievable.

There have been some large folk that start out unable to do poo poo and I've watched them slim down to become loving monsters. There's a cop who started out 300+ pounds who slimmed down to 220 and I can't even hold for the dude, his punches knock you off your feet.

Edit: Are you in LA?

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 5, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

willie_dee posted:

I have a friend (not really a friend, but someone I know) who is convinced that Aikido is the be all and end all in a fight. I have tried showing him MMA/UFC and what not but he has all this bull poo poo about why it doesn't count. Is there a right up any where on how rubbish Aikido really is in the physical combat sense? I know bullshido used to have these great Your Martial Art sucks videos but I can't find an Aikido one.

These people are usually so stuck in their own delusion that you can't really do anything for them, just piss each other off. Ironically, I take a page from the Aikido playbook and just gently parry the issue.

Even if you beat him up, the standard line is: "well aikido has a steep learning curve but once I "get it" in 10 years, you won't be able to touch me". Which, if you apply any logical thought, is insane. There is no other skill on earth where you mystically jump from terrible to mastery, windmills do not work that way. Still, that is what he will claim.

Sorry if I am making GBS threads on any aikidoka, it's not a bad MA but many of the people involved in it are awful or abrasively delusional.

Also, Sambo writeup added, thanks!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Learn something useful and kick his rear end I guess? There's really no way to make idiots stop being idiots.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I was gonna say you should talk to them because my boxing gym accommodates every level of fitness, but reading the other replies I'm just gonna add my "just go". Check it out at least.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CaptainScraps posted:

Just go to a class and do what you can. No one will think any less of you for it. Don't go to the point where you puke, but just try. The body types there run from obese to loving unbelievable.

Edit: Are you in LA?

I'm in L.A. I'm looking at the Krav Maga place on Olympic near the 405. I feel like I'm at the point where I could really benefit from it. I didn't see any boxing places in the area, which I'm also interested in.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Xguard86 posted:

These people are usually so stuck in their own delusion that you can't really do anything for them, just piss each other off. Ironically, I take a page from the Aikido playbook and just gently parry the issue.

Even if you beat him up, the standard line is: "well aikido has a steep learning curve but once I "get it" in 10 years, you won't be able to touch me". Which, if you apply any logical thought, is insane. There is no other skill on earth where you mystically jump from terrible to mastery, windmills do not work that way. Still, that is what he will claim.

Sorry if I am making GBS threads on any aikidoka, it's not a bad MA but many of the people involved in it are awful or abrasively delusional.

I'm an aikidoka and I agree with you. I've heard the learning curve argument and the "our moves are too dangerous to spar" argument plenty of times and I don't buy it (fortunately not from the people I practice with, though). It seems especially goofy to claim that about aikido, which is more an art about not fighting. One of its main focuses is to use awareness and deflection to diffuse violent situations or keep them from happening in the first place.

I don't see how you can argue your martial art is the end all and be all in a fight, but never fight or spar in training. That aside, claiming that about any martial art is pretty ridiculous. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm in L.A. I'm looking at the Krav Maga place on Olympic near the 405. I feel like I'm at the point where I could really benefit from it. I didn't see any boxing places in the area, which I'm also interested in.

gently caress. That location is THE place to train krav maga in the US. So jealous.

That location is where the majority of instructor training for the US takes place. Some of the instructors teaching class on their schedule are sent out here to do seminars as well and charge a hell of a lot to do so. gently caress, man. Get your rear end out there.

Edit:

If you look at their schedule, Michael Margolin regularly teaches classes there. He came out to Austin recently and charged $120/pp for an afternoon of training. And Kelly Campbell came out to do instructor training and also charged a hell of a lot.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 5, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm not sure how the West Coast works but http://www.wildcardbc.com/

Edit. Looking at the website and drat Wild Card is such a real loving gym. I love Freddie Roach. He could have a gym where he charges rich scrubs 200 a month but no he keeps it at a modest 50 a month so that the less fortunate can come in and train too. That's how you discover diamonds in the rough!

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 5, 2011

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Dick Trauma posted:

Just go. I used to think the same way for BJJ, and I pretty much delayed myself starting for a good year and a half. I wanna punch myself form 1 and a half years ago so badly.

$50 a month to train at wildcard boxing?! Why is it that it costs 1/2 of what I pay for BJJ to learn boxing from Freddie Roach...

fawker fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 5, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I'll write up about gay frog sailor kickboxing in leotards for the first page, as soon as I have a moment.

Also could have a fight in a week, with either ballet boxing or plain regular amateur boxing available. It's quite hard not to train until I can't sit up without pain right now, I'll probably be so exhausted after a week I'll lose via becoming a statue. Exhibition only though, so no worries (not as if the people who climb into the ring aren't taking it seriously enough).

Dirp
May 16, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

I'm not sure how the West Coast works but http://www.wildcardbc.com/

Edit. Looking at the website and drat Wild Card is such a real loving gym. I love Freddie Roach. He could have a gym where he charges rich scrubs 200 a month but no he keeps it at a modest 50 a month so that the less fortunate can come in and train too. That's how you discover diamonds in the rough!

Holy poo poo I can't believe he only charges 50 bucks a month, in Hollywood no less. That is a loving insane deal. It's not uncommon for lovely mcdojo places in the middle of nowhere to charge more than twice that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Xguard86 posted:

Ironically, I take a page from the Aikido playbook and just gently parry the issue.
That was loving hilarious. You're my new favourite poster. Sorry adolfo but you don't post much any more :(

I got my first throw on a blue belt the other day. Osoto gari. It was a bit sloppy and he was tired (so was I though) but he has about 30kgs on me, so it felt good. I'm having trouble with linking the hand movement and the foot movement but I know coordination takes time BUT finally a new guy joined who had only done a few weeks worth and I got to see how much I improved via a few randori sessions. I got him down probably about 6 times, including a morote seoi nage and a left handed ippon seoi nage, no lame cop-out drop seios. only the good poo poo!
I'm not trying to show off and be like 'I got a bunch of throws and kicked this dudes rear end hurr' but I really wanted to randori with a new guy to see how far I'd come because I was the newest at the club for 6 months so I had no way to see how much I'd improved except for 'oh, the brown belt only threw me 7 times instead of 8'. My balance is hugely improved and I actually have an offense now. My O Goshi is probably my best throw, because my kuzushi is good due to the seoi nage drilling we did and everyone knows me for trying seoi nage so I change it up a little bit and sometimes I use the half O Goshi where its only half hip (forgot the name of it). I feel that ones a bit quicker and its a bit more surprising coming from a white belt but the good belts just step off it so I guess I'm still not fast enough or I telegraph it too much. Combos are hard for me, so apparently I have to pretend to want to do a ouchi gari but I'm really just trying to do a forward throw? e: or pretend I'm doing ouchi gari but take an extra step once they step off and do osoto gari? Is that the right order?
I know I sort of treat this thread like a blog sometimes, but I like to get my thoughts down somewhere.

e: Oh and I kneed some dude in the balls and then grabbed them a few minutes later. Both by accident of course. Felt utterly horrible.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 6, 2011

• Locked thread