Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Got an email from one of the instructors to come by next week and try out a class. They have them T-W-R at 0600 so if it works out for me I'll have to figure out how to work in my two weekly morning weight training sessions. I can think of worse problems to have. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dirp posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe he only charges 50 bucks a month, in Hollywood no less. That is a loving insane deal. It's not uncommon for lovely mcdojo places in the middle of nowhere to charge more than twice that.

The lower levels of boxing instruction is fairly compact in terms of space per person, so that helps. Also I'm sure people don't get much direct instruction from Roach itself. With all his pro fighter work, it might feel more like going to an affiliate gym. That said, I'm sure it's still quality boxing instruction from his other coaches, at an insane price.

e: I referred to Freddie as an it above, but it's too funny to edit out.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

The lower levels of boxing instruction is fairly compact in terms of space per person, so that helps. Also I'm sure people don't get much direct instruction from Roach itself. With all his pro fighter work, it might feel more like going to an affiliate gym. That said, I'm sure it's still quality boxing instruction from his other coaches, at an insane price.

e: I referred to Freddie as an it above, but it's too funny to edit out.

Oh I know you'd pretty much never be getting direct lessons from Roach himself, maybe a few seminars a year if that. But yeah like you said, you're still going to be getting his instruction trickled down almost directly through some top notch instructors for 50 bucks a month.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Yay back in Brisbane. Training! This 3-4 weeks between being able to train sucks

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was hoping somebody here could recommend a good rebreakable board or two. I am along enough in Aikido now to run the show sometimes, so I spent last summer teaching them strikes from my taekwondo days in order to make the attacks more genuine. We had bought square targets for that. This summer they want that again so I wanted to up the ante and go to some boards. I am afraid of liability issues at the university here with splinters and stuff, so I was hoping to get some of these rebreakable boards at least for starters. Going on 15 years ago, I recall they were inconsistent and people were wary of them. But they seem common enough now.

I personally have a good grasp on board breaking do's and don'ts, but I'm a bit lost with the rebreakable boards. Is it actually safe to punch one of them? I'm talking straight on knuckles. I remember horror stories from my taekwondo days about punch boards; palm strikes or other modified hand strikes were preferable. But without wood to dig into knuckles, I wonder if that's not so much an issue.

While the people I am teaching have experience in Aikido going on decades in some cases, I don't want to get a rebreakable board necessarily at the black belt level. I suspect for a confidence boost there should be a really basic one and then maybe something representative of two to three years of training.

Generally I am working on upper body strikes, not kicks.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
It has been a while since I used re-breakable boards, but I'll try...

Re-breakable boards tend to come in 2 different flavours: ones with a "groove" that you have to slide, and ones with "teeth" that fit into each other. The ones with teeth feel like a more reliable/long lasting option. Your best bet is to find a martial arts store that has some and go have a look (the website I linked is just the first thing that came up).

They can be a bit weird compared to actual timber boards (mainly because they can only break down the middle), but the thin ones are likely to break basically just by looking at them (much like 5mm boards do normally). I imagine punching them is fine, but I don't think I've ever tried (maybe don't punch them if you aren't relatively certain it'll break). My experience is a lot more kicking than punching.

Are splinters really an issue? I don't think I can remember anyone getting one, and I've seen lots of timber broken. Expense I can understand; we would glue boards back together and use them a few times if they were just going to be for practice.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dirp posted:

Oh I know you'd pretty much never be getting direct lessons from Roach himself, maybe a few seminars a year if that. But yeah like you said, you're still going to be getting his instruction trickled down almost directly through some top notch instructors for 50 bucks a month.

more importantly, you're going to be practicing with top of the line equipment.

my primary instructor was a training partner of andy hug and world champion in one of those kickboxing orgs. brilliant technical dude and our group is only 6-8 guys on average, so perfect. the gym owner however is this stingy motherfucker that won't buy new thai pads until half of them have fallen apart and then he only gets the cheapest poo poo possible, with the velcro coming off after 2 weeks on some. his solution? we're kicking too hard. now one of the bags has fallen from the ceiling and is just laying there (for a month).

Paul Pot fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 6, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I hate re-breakable boards for anything other than wrist strikes. Those fuckers hurt like hell if you don't get the break, and scrape up your skin even if you do.

Of course, pretty much the only reason I ever break boards is doing forehead breaks when the Taekwondo people we share mat space with leave extras lieing around, so I'm hardly an expert on the subject.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I bit clean through my own lower lip playing with rebreakable boards. Be careful, kids. Don't be retarded and hold them wrong and up against your face like your friend Bohemian Nights.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

Nierbo posted:

e: Oh and I kneed some dude in the balls and then grabbed them a few minutes later. Both by accident of course. Felt utterly horrible.

I've been on the receiving end of this before. As my mate said afterwards,
"Uchi mata, now with more uchi."

Speaking which, is that what you mean when you say a half o goshi? I don't know much Judo, so maybe I'm way off base.

Come to think of it, I get kneed in the balls too often. Need a cup of some type.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ManicParroT posted:

We like to call that an "Ouchi Mata"

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Ok, so earlier, I posted that I had found this little "shoot wrestling" gym. For whatever reason, even though I was reading shoot wrestling, all I was thinking was "catch wrestling" and Josh Barnett.

What is the difference between the two? Or are they basically the same thing?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
at this point: basically the same. I'm not an expert so someone else might be able to tell you what is actually different.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What's the use or rather, the purpose of breaking? Also I'm not trying to be an rear end, but never having done any TMA (or else) with breaking I honestly just don't know.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ligur posted:

What's the use or rather, the purpose of breaking? Also I'm not trying to be an rear end, but never having done any TMA (or else) with breaking I honestly just don't know.

It's a way to demonstrate that you actually have decent form and are putting power behind your technique.

Or in my case, it's a way for the Judo guys to gently caress around and try to invent ridiuclous board breaks. Our best were things like Tomoe-Nage-ing and having the uke roll his head up into a forehead break or doing seoi-nage and having the uke break through a board with his slap.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Your armbar is not complete until you can snap a 2x4 with it.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Thoguh posted:

It's a way to demonstrate that you actually have decent form and are putting power behind your technique.

Or in my case, it's a way for the Judo guys to gently caress around and try to invent ridiuclous board breaks. Our best were things like Tomoe-Nage-ing and having the uke roll his head up into a forehead break or doing seoi-nage and having the uke break through a board with his slap.

Next time you do stuff like this, you NEED to record footage. Please...

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Jesus Christ. Last night we had an unusually large number of people in class so we didn't have a lot of room for our normal jogging style warm ups (usually jogging in a circle, then some foot shuffling, lunges, bear crawling, sprint the straights, etc). What did we do instead? Jumping jacks, not my favorite, but whatever. Then we stood in place and were doing lunges...get into the lunge and hold for 60 seconds, then switch legs. Repeat several times. I've had sore muscles before, but I've never felt them feel like they're on fire like that. I was almost late to work today as I had a difficult time walking.

Never thought I'd say I missed the typical jogging/running warm up.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Never thought I'd say I missed the typical jogging/running warm up.

Have you seen the 3 minute warmup?

10 front kicks, 1 sprawl, 9 front kicks, 2 sprawls...all the way down to 1 front kick, 10 sprawls.

gently caress me I hate that one.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

Next time you do stuff like this, you NEED to record footage. Please...

Not the best angle, but it's all I've got. Somebody at a demo got this. My form is bad because I'm more focused on putting my hand in the right spot than I am having a pretty fall. Plus its a demo so making everything look huge and awesome is kind of the point.

The throw:

The break:

Yes I was wearing long black compression shorts/tights. It was cold.

The Tomoe-Nage roll-up/forehead break looks a lot cooler, but I can't find any pictures of that right now.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 7, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ligur posted:

The problem I am trying to address is that where I practice Aikido, those that haven't come from a background involving some kind of striking art have really terrible strikes. Generally they don't want to punch people, but that's different from not knowing how to punch people. They need some good strikes to practice effectively. I also feel it makes the principles of Aikido stronger, because now you know how to hurt people and are instead making an ethical choice not to.

The square hand targets were a good starter for getting the basics, but board breaks add some more value. As was already said, they test that you have good form and power. What I feel is missing from hand target practice is that bit of extra power that I think would make the attacks more compelling.

It also teaches you to strike past the target; a common problem is delivering the strike to the surface of the target. You can hit a board as hard as you want on the surface, and it will likely stick together. Striking through is the difference. The tweaks they'll get from this will further improve their attacks. They will probably end up attacking just a little bit deeper, which would actually make some of the throws easier if blended correctly. This offsets the extra power they're going to be playing with.

The final reason to do some board breaks is for confidence. I've told people it's kind of like how TV shows would represent the rope climb in gym class (did anybody ever actually have to do that?) as some kind of personal obstacle. If you haven't broken a board before it's a little intimidating to do it the first time. After they've broken the board, they at least they know that within themselves they have that kind of power--even if that kind of power is somewhat trifle.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I also feel it makes the principles of Aikido stronger, because now you know how to hurt people and are instead making an ethical choice not to.

Isn't it more of a practical issue than an ethical issue? You can't go around doing the kind of strikes you use for board breaks on people because they'd just stop coming to class due to broken bones.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Have you seen the 3 minute warmup?

10 front kicks, 1 sprawl, 9 front kicks, 2 sprawls...all the way down to 1 front kick, 10 sprawls.

gently caress me I hate that one.

I've not done that one. We do the Bas Rutten 3 minute round warm ups every so often. Those are pretty hellish. It's 3 minutes of Bas yelling out numbers that correlate to doing a certain number of punches/knees/sprawls/push-ups/etc...

They're a great work out, but man, I'm really starting to hate the sound of that man's voice.

I imagine that's somewhat comparable.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

ManicParroT posted:

Speaking which, is that what you mean when you say a half o goshi? I don't know much Judo, so maybe I'm way off base.

Come to think of it, I get kneed in the balls too often. Need a cup of some type.

No, I think its called Uki Goshi. They have't taught me uchi mata yet as I don't have my yellow belt, but they'll be grading me soon. We have some amazing instructors seemingly hell bent on me getting the basics down. But I really want to learn uchi mata. It looks easier to complete than some of the 1st kyo throws and is spectacular to watch someone do aswell.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Aikido + board breaking stuff...

I'm glad to see some Aikido schools try to focus more on striking. I was an Aikido student for a few years and when I started my instructor took on students a few at a time in a tiny little studio space. He had a regular day job and did his training at night. He wouldn't take on any student that had anything less then a brown belt or equivalent in a striking martial art as he sincerely believed that Aikido should be trained exclusively as a finishing art. He himself held a 6th dan in kempo karate and a 4th dan in Aikido.

I left after a few years when he started taking on students that didn't have this prior skill set for whatever reason. The quality of training tanked the moment untrained attackers were introduced. The weirdest thing was that with his skill set I really expected him to train attacks for new students.

:iiam:

For quite a while before he started taking on new students, I assumed all Aikido schools worked this way and had a hard time understanding the hate for Aikido. In my mind it was an art to train you in additional control beyond what Karate/TKD/other MA had to offer to be used in a fight when you're able to and not as the most primary defense. Through blind dumb luck I've had good experiences with martial arts that others (especially in these threads) have not.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The problem I am trying to address is that where I practice Aikido, those that haven't come from a background involving some kind of striking art have really terrible strikes. Generally they don't want to punch people, but that's different from not knowing how to punch people. They need some good strikes to practice effectively. I also feel it makes the principles of Aikido stronger, because now you know how to hurt people and are instead making an ethical choice not to.

Honestly, coming from an Aikido background I think just teaching folks basic boxing padwork and have them keep practicing that in addition to their normal practice would help remedy things.

Improving the quality of the attacks done, bare handed and with weapons would significantly improve aikido.

I think one of the problems with Aikido is that there is very little agreement in the community as to what it is. Plus there has been a very extensive history rewrite in Japan, abroad, and people just going on about things when they didn't know any better. Plus the mass confusion about everything the founder said and what he meant.

On the plus side I would say since the Aiki Expos that things have been improving, at least for the schools that have been making the effort to try to improve.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 7, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Thoguh posted:

Isn't it more of a practical issue than an ethical issue? You can't go around doing the kind of strikes you use for board breaks on people because they'd just stop coming to class due to broken bones.
I'd say that the background of Aikido, or at least how it's become understood over time, has been a lot more of the "love and peace" stuff than most other arts. In that case, not getting one's hands busted is a pleasant side effect. I hadn't ever heard it presented necessarily that way. Instead, from a practical perspective people talk about how you're less liable to get sued if you defend yourself with Aikido. I don't know if that is true or not, but that would be the common practical argument.

For the most part, we'll just hit the padded targets. The rebreakable boards is more something to bring out towards the end of the summer as a milestone for what they've managed to learn. I'm otherwise not really in a position to test some of these people since some of them outrank me, and none of this is in the curriculum technically anyways.

I'd like to get into grabs too but my background isn't in some other grappling art. And there we have some Aikido we can use to apply something for a grab. I didn't expect so many Aikido people to pop out of the woodwork here, so I thought I'd bring up what I imagine you've all seen: the "realistic" attack that involves latching down on their wrist and turning into a boat anchor. It actually says a lot of what people think attacks are.

Last summer people were hurting their thumbs hitting the pads and I was trying to figure it out. In my taekwondo days it usually meant they were leaving their thumb out or too exposed, but that didn't do it. Eventually I figured out they were closing their fists so tightly that their fingers closed so much that they couldn't tuck their thumbs in even if they wanted to. You are all free to try to do that with your hand right now because it's really strange.

I suppose the big thing they got out of it last year was that Aikido didn't have a monopoly on trying to be loose, and that there's a reason punches are "thrown" not "put."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Eventually I figured out they were closing their fists so tightly that their fingers closed so much that they couldn't tuck their thumbs in even if they wanted to. You are all free to try to do that with your hand right now because it's really strange.

I'd like a drawing or picture. This sounds either really hard or really dangerous.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This was a separate thing so I thought I'd respond special.

Senor P. posted:

I think one of the problems with Aikido is that there is very little agreement in the community as to what it is. Plus there has been a very extensive history rewrite in Japan, abroad, and people just going on about things when they didn't know any better. Plus the mass confusion about everything the founder said and what he meant.

On the plus side I would say since the Aiki Expos that things have been improving, at least for the schools that have been making the effort to try to improve.

I am practicing Seidokan Aikido, which is looks like its in its own little world. I guess it went something like:

1. Tohei started Ki Society and Kobayashi (the Seidokan founder) followed him over to that.
2. Ki Society started breathing the purple smoke a little too much and Kobayashi goes off to ultimately form Seidokan. I think Ki Society isn't quite the same way anymore but the ki testing stuff and the ki development classes sound a little odd. Kind of like getting your weekly thetan refill at the local Scientology office. I thought it funny somebody once told me the 70s were the dark ages of Aikido because of that kind of stuff.
3. Seidokan runs for awhile on the mantra "earnest, sincere, realistic" and generally accepts a lot of divergent views w/o forcing anything down anybody's throats. There's an annual camp where the member dojos come and compare notes. Starting out this makes a lot of sense since Kobayashi didn't have a bunch of longstanding students to force some specific style . . .
4. Kobayashi passes away and a little bit of a personality cult starts to form from their headquarters about how to do things. This throw must be like this. You do this throw this way. That throw that way. And so it goes.

If you see anything about Henry Kono, he'll make it a point in his seminars that Ueshiba had something of a "gently caress you, got mine" attitude towards teaching Aikido. He'd certainly show it but wasn't necessarily teaching anything. It was up to the individual student to figure out what it was for them. Apparently this was how things used to be done or something. So I guess it was a bust from the start. Even then it didn't stop people from forming a personality cult around him too and enforcing this or that motion.

I do enjoy the quote "It is impossible for you to know what I'm talking about because even I don't know what I'm talking about." Contextually I think it meant that he was explaining it on-the-fly and that often was what he thought was the best explanation afterwards, but it does sound really bad out of context.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

kimbo305 posted:

I'd like a drawing or picture. This sounds either really hard or really dangerous.
Well don't actually punch anything like that!

The effect was that the tip of their thumb was poking out from under their middle finger. It wasn't because their thumb wasn't tucked in enough, but rather their fingers were curled in too tightly. I had to go pry at their fingers to see what they were doing with their fists. To try to get the effect across I told them punching was more like grabbing the target, and to come at it not necessarily with an open hand, but one that has spare room to squeeze.

In retrospect I think that wasn't the best explanation but I really was at a loss since I had never seen that before. And there it was happening to multiple people at the same time! I am thinking more to say that one should curl their fingers up enough to, say, be able to hold a pencil across where the fingers meet their hand. The pencil should slide out.

Seriously I'll take suggestions here because it is as bizarre as you make.

Now that I saw it I know to keep an eye out for it, so I wouldn't just walk in with some rebreakable board and have them make a go at it. Stuff like this I think was why I was told never to break boards with punches. Too many stories of busted digits or knuckles getting planted into the wood. That's why I asked about punching a rebreakable board. I suspect ones knuckles might not get stuck but it probably has a lot of the same problems.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Maybe I don't understand, but when you (hypothetical you) throw a punch, what direction do you (real you) think the tip of the thumb is supposed to point?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe I don't understand, but when you (hypothetical you) throw a punch, what direction do you (real you) think the tip of the thumb is supposed to point?
Thumb should be perpendicular to the direction of the punch. To be more specific when I am holding up my right hand in a fist with fingers towards myself, my thumb points up at the first digit, but left at the second digit.

I know the most common starter mistake is to put the thumb outside the fingers, fully extended, so it would point completely up in that case. And that would certainly hurt their thumbs. So it was a surprise to see people had it curled in but still hurting their thumbs. I suppose they weren't necessarily tucking their thumb in enough but the more salient thing was their fingers were so tightly wound that it was hard to do that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm gonna keep talking about this, because for striking, few things are as fundamental and important as making a good fist.

Random internet fist picture (:woop:):

He's got his fingers curled up pretty tight, and his thumb is still tucked well out of the way, with the middle knuckle well behind the plane of the proximal phalanges of the fingers. This fist, while not 100% perfect, satisfies my standard for curling up the fingers tight. I just don't see from here how the thumb tip would get exposed.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

kimbo305 posted:

I'm gonna keep talking about this, because for striking, few things are as fundamental and important as making a good fist.

Random internet fist picture (:woop:):

I just don't see from here how the thumb tip would get exposed.
I suspect his thumb is fine, though it does look from the picture that it's first in line to make contact. I am just assuming that has to do with angles. I'd post a picture of the particular situation I was seeing, but I can't figure out my wife's DSLR to focus it correctly with one hand while I hold out my fist with another.

The odd thumb-hurting punch I was seeing wasn't so clear from a side profile though. You'd have to look at it underneath to see how all the fingers were curled in. I'll take a shot at explaining it again even though a real picture (no ms-paint) would do it best.

Form your own fist, or like the one in the Internet picture there. Now open and close up your fingers and thumb a few times like you're squeezing on something like a stress-relief doll or something similar. Now start squeezing the piss out of it and look how the thumb comes closer and closer to being beyond the protection of your fingers, even if the thumb is tucked at a right angle.

For me I managed to reproduce with my own hand where the thumb pokes out between the middle and the ring finger. But to do that while keeping the thumb bent correctly meant tucking the fingers in real tight. So when they hit the target, the thumb wasn't necessarily what made first contact but it did impact some of the blow. It wasn't a whole lot, but over the course of 20 punches they'd start to complain about their thumbs.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't expect so many Aikido people to pop out of the woodwork here, so I thought I'd bring up what I imagine you've all seen: the "realistic" attack that involves latching down on their wrist and turning into a boat anchor. It actually says a lot of what people think attacks are.
When I did TKD we had a couple guys who were into coming up with the most bizarre one-step sparring techniques. One time I was supposed to 'attack' one of the guys and he backed away literally like half the mat and then signaled he was ready. I had no idea what the hell to do with this so I just stood there dumbfounded. Eventually he yelled that I should punch him, and I asked how the hell he proposed I do so, as he was like 40 loving feet away. Somehow I ended up having to do pushups as a result of this exchange. I quit that school shortly after, though I do sort of regret not seeing it through just to see what kind of retarded super saiyan counterattack he was to unleash upon me. I kind of want to do TKD again just so I can do really dumb flying submissions during one-step sparring.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Well I have my first bjj tournament coming next weekend. Couldnt manage to drop down to the 215-229 so looks like I'll be stuck at the 230+ category :( (Im 6'5" and walking around at 240 now). Do you think its worth it to try to lose 10 pounds in a week or would that be too rough?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Death Bucket posted:

When I did TKD we had a couple guys who were into coming up with the most bizarre one-step sparring techniques. One time I was supposed to 'attack' one of the guys and he backed away literally like half the mat and then signaled he was ready. I had no idea what the hell to do with this so I just stood there dumbfounded. Eventually he yelled that I should punch him, and I asked how the hell he proposed
Heh I don't remember my one-steps too much anymore; they never were emphasized too much. Thinking back they ran into two related problems that some of the people I do Aikido with use as a litmus test when they see some new technique:

1. Is the defender running on a slower timeline where they get to do a million different things while the attacker just kind of takes it?
2. Is the attacker doing more moving than the defender?

Usually if one was happening, so was the other, and their bullshit detectors would go off. I don't remember any one-steps where I had to do something like that, but there was a some of "you punch at me, then I dodge it, grab your crotch, shove it in your face, kick you, punch you, kick you again, and then do this strange two-handed thing." I think our instructor there just wanted to make sure we had memorized them to cover his own rear end.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Skrotum posted:

Well I have my first bjj tournament coming next weekend. Couldnt manage to drop down to the 215-229 so looks like I'll be stuck at the 230+ category :( (Im 6'5" and walking around at 240 now). Do you think its worth it to try to lose 10 pounds in a week or would that be too rough?

If you don't plan to do day before weigh ins, probably too rough. It's your first tournament, take it easy and learn how much harder you should prepare for next time after you make all your inevitable stupid mistakes.

In my first tournament I almost face planted trying to throw a guy with a bad grip. These things happen.

Natalie Portmanteau
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finn
It's been 6 months since my shoulder dislocated and it's still weak. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Natalie Portmanteau posted:

It's been 6 months since my shoulder dislocated and it's still weak. gently caress.
What happened?

• Locked thread