Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

EricD posted:

May I ask why you think that is?

it doesn't look anything like my animes at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricD
Sep 1, 2016

origami posted:

fatties swinging like bums

Yeah that's legitimately an issue. Modern HEMA has a long way to go in terms of its physical conditioning and training. I mean at the high levels of HEMA competition with guys like Ties Kool, Axel Pettersson or Jake Norwood, the fitness levels are getting much better. The need for rigorous conditioning is still sinking in at the lower levels though. We do have a lot of people without the proper fitness to perform the Art to the level that I hope to see it at.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I have seen Ties Kool shirtless and :syoon:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

EricD posted:

May I ask why you think that is?

I'm willing to admit that part of it is that I lack the personal experience with it that I need to really understand what I'm watching play out. That said though, it looks really passive and when someone does score a hit or whatever nothing really jumps out at me like "drat, thats one dead honkey right there." Also the level of athleticism is kind of weak in general.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Novum posted:

I'm willing to admit that part of it is that I lack the personal experience with it that I need to really understand what I'm watching play out. That said though, it looks really passive and when someone does score a hit or whatever nothing really jumps out at me like "drat, thats one dead honkey right there." Also the level of athleticism is kind of weak in general.

This isn't really that far off the mark. It's point fighting - the theory is that if you get anything through, they're hosed up. So lots of the stuff I've seen involves people jockeying for range and then having short exchanges in which someone gets tagged, and then it's over. On top of that, most of the orthodox patterns involve strikes which are also blocks which are also counterstrikes, so it'll either end on the first committed exchange or descend into really awkward wrestling.

oberhau, svornhau, oben abgen omen, oben abgen omen (I have no idea if I'm spelling this right)

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It looks absolutely ridiculous

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I find that even the highest level athletes still don't look like they're actually skilled with a sword or whatever. Like you don't need to understand muay thai to see that there's some really efficient motion going on, but you don't see that smoothness and decisiveness in the motions of HEMA athletes, which makes me think that what they're doing is still probably very different from what they're trying to recreate. People were fighting with swords for thousands of years, I imagine they were a whole lot better. It doesn't need to look flashy or anything, just have some solid fundamentals and footwork that looks like they know what's up.

It looks kind of like two guys who tried to learn BJJ from scratch from a DVD in their garage but because they've never grappled with anybody skilled before they aren't even aware of the millions of technical errors they're making. I don't mean to diss HEMA too hard because I like the concept but it looks like it's got a long way to go yet

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I find that even the highest level athletes still don't look like they're actually skilled with a sword or whatever. Like you don't need to understand muay thai to see that there's some really efficient motion going on, but you don't see that smoothness and decisiveness in the motions of HEMA athletes, which makes me think that what they're doing is still probably very different from what they're trying to recreate. People were fighting with swords for thousands of years, I imagine they were a whole lot better. It doesn't need to look flashy or anything, just have some solid fundamentals and footwork that looks like they know what's up.

It looks kind of like two guys who tried to learn BJJ from scratch from a DVD in their garage but because they've never grappled with anybody skilled before they aren't even aware of the millions of technical errors they're making. I don't mean to diss HEMA too hard because I like the concept but it looks like it's got a long way to go yet

I'd like to see which fights you're watching to have come to this conclusion, because competitive fighting in HEMA has become very tight and economic in terms of movement in the last few years. There are some videos I watch from when I started three years ago which definitely haven't aged well. You also have to consider that HEMA as a practiced, competitive combat art is relatively new, and people are working with sometimes a single year's worth of experience. At the highest levels though, there is a clear shift in technique and accuracy. It's also worth mentioning that depending on which style you follow, you will have different levels of economic movement. Meyer, for example, teaches a lot of flourishes and feints, while Liechtenauer is more about economy of movement, straight lines, etc.

As for getting in too close, I feel like a lot of schools simply don't teach grappling at all (my school included) so you end up with people in these situations who don't know what to do, and it looks just awful. Also, points-wise, you may get fewer points for a successful grapple/throw than if you hit them with your sword, which could change the way people play the game of tournament fighting.

Fitness is something people absolutely need to work on though, and honestly some people manage to get by on attributes alone and they run with that instead of maximizing technique or cardio. Since there aren't divisions based on height/weight/reach, if you're tall, strong, and kinda quick, you'll be at an advantage right from the start even at a competitive level. I see this in my own school from time to time, with people who can, say, cut tatami fairly easily by muscling through the mat, but their form is awful. We have one guy in particular who is strong as poo poo, but all he does is oberhau and tries to bulldoze everyone. Alternatively, when these same people who have good attributes start working on their cardio AND their technique, they tend to do especially well. We need more good examples of exactly that.

I've improved my cardio immensely over the past year, and my fencing has improved because of it. I need to do more though, especially with a big tournament coming up in November.

One last point: everyone is allowed to fight in these tournaments, which may affect how people view the fights since skill levels can vary wildly. From what I've heard, there's a small tournament happening in Florida which is invitation only (the criteria being high skill, or placed in certain tournaments in the past year), as it will be at a public martial arts event, and the finals will be aired on ESPN3. We're trying to improve our image from what it was just a few years ago, and I would honestly say we're doing just that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So basically

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

:v:

The Swedish HEMA Championships happened today and I caught the livestream of the finals. The longsword matches looked legit nice, but you could really tell people have been doing it the most, too. Military sabre is the new hotness when it comes to weapons, and I feel pretty confident saying the level in that wasn't anywhere close. And I think it also says something that three of the five gold medals went to a single guy who fenced the exact same way no matter what sort of sword they put in his hand.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Siivola posted:

So basically

:v:

The Swedish HEMA Championships happened today and I caught the livestream of the finals. The longsword matches looked legit nice, but you could really tell people have been doing it the most, too. Military sabre is the new hotness when it comes to weapons, and I feel pretty confident saying the level in that wasn't anywhere close. And I think it also says something that three of the five gold medals went to a single guy who fenced the exact same way no matter what sort of sword they put in his hand.

Is it a requirement for HEMA officials to dress up like r/atheism posters?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah. Dunno if it's written down anywhere, though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Please take this rubbish to the hema skipfire thank youuupp

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

As for the "fatties swinging like bums" thing, you're right for the most part. A lot of these clubs don't come from a martial background in any sense, and a lot of stuff gleaned from the texts lacks very specific information such as how to cut or swing your sword. Our school has a background in JSA, so it's always surprising for me when I go to another school or take a seminar at a tournament and I practice with people from this completely non-martial background.

Hopefully this information starts to permeate the average HEMA clubs outside of the big schools within the next few years.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Keg posted:

Is it a requirement for HEMA officials to dress up like r/atheism posters?

Hah. I've always wondered why they dress up like mormon missionaries.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Please take this rubbish to the hema skipfire thank youuupp

You were a jerk about the Olympic fencing talk, too. Maybe just deal with it?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I think its good for the martial arts thread to encompass more than kickboxing and grappling.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i am just glad something exists in this world that is more ridiculous and dumb and gay than my pajama wrestling

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
a few years back I thought it'd be cool to do kendo but when I watched videos it looked pretty lame and wasn't the 'guys beating the poo poo out of each other with wooden sticks' game I thought it was going to be

I just want like - to battle it out with a buddy with nerf swords or something in a safe environment but not have it all larped up with mystical tradition bullshit or some lamer in a utility kilt telling me to harness my energy

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
with that said I still miss the kung fu guy I used to train with that would go for pressure points when rolling and would never give up despite never tapping anybody with it ever

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

origami posted:

I just want like - to battle it out with a buddy with nerf swords or something in a safe environment but not have it all larped up with mystical tradition bullshit or some lamer in a utility kilt telling me to harness my energy

Just do a Dog Brothers gathering and be guaranteed to piss off some Armenians: http://dogbrothers.com/the-gathering/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKsK2c4p2wQ

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a free evening tomorrow and am trying to decide whether to go to the gym and do some running and some weights, or to go to BJJ class. I haven't really been to the gym in about a month for work-related reasons, but I make an effort to put in what weight training I can at home. I would normally go to BJJ three times a week but only made it twice last week and can only make it twice this week. One thing I'm considering is that having a free evening is a bit of an exception for me these days, and will be for the next year or so as I'm starting a new study course that's going to run simultaneously with full-time work, which is going to occupy most of my evenings and Saturdays. When it comes to budgeting the time I have left over after work and study, how should I prioritise the gym and BJJ? What sort of considerations do I need to make?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Just do a Dog Brothers gathering and be guaranteed to piss off some Armenians: http://dogbrothers.com/the-gathering/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKsK2c4p2wQ

yeah if they come up to Boston I'll at least check it out

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm in the Netherlands with my fiancé visiting her family, and her cousin trains at Mike's gym so I'm going there to train today. Pray for me I haven't sparred in 2 or so years. My fitness level is at the highest it's been in ages though. I've been up since 6am and we're going at 11 *__*

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

origami posted:

yeah if they come up to Boston I'll at least check it out
Greg Brown at Combat Sports Boston is apparently a dog brother, go say hi.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So we weren't at Mike's Gym we were at Kops Gym and I knew this when Gegard Mousasi walked in. haha Training was fun I avoided sparring thankfully. Got a picture with Gegard and wished him luck. The Dutch sparring style looks rough and they don't wear headgear ooof.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

origami posted:

a few years back I thought it'd be cool to do kendo but when I watched videos it looked pretty lame and wasn't the 'guys beating the poo poo out of each other with wooden sticks' game I thought it was going to be

I felt this way the first time I checked out fencing. "you mean you can't even sidestep!?".

Hema is cool:

https://youtu.be/VlCQ2pBob5Q

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

I felt this way the first time I checked out fencing. "you mean you can't even sidestep!?".

No man, you have to let me stab you now.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can totally sidestep, you're just not thinking in three dimensions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzm3XlXYto0&t=505s

You'll find more of this stuff by looking up HMB (historical medieval battles) or ACL (armored combat league) instead of HEMA.

In fact, you'll get some grade A salt if you share some of these videos on HEMA Facebook groups. We just can't handle the :black101:, it seems. "Oh no these people are too safe from swords! :qq:"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

If this is representative of the refereeing in the sport, I wouldn't go anywhere near that dumpster fire.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

When it comes to budgeting the time I have left over after work and study, how should I prioritise the gym and BJJ? What sort of considerations do I need to make?
I feel like with BJJ you want to be going at least three times a week if you want to be getting better. Probably for most weight training programs you're looking at the same kind of thing.

Given the time constraints you're describing it sounds like it may come down to picking which one is a higher priority and just going full in with that until your schedule calms down.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Baronash posted:

If this is representative of the refereeing in the sport, I wouldn't go anywhere near that dumpster fire.
...because if beating the god drat poo poo out of each other with pointy swords and shields didn't deter you...

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Bangkero posted:

...because if beating the god drat poo poo out of each other with pointy swords and shields didn't deter you...

That part is the part that loving rules

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ttr3XMwW_k

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So this is what Poe's law looks like.

edit: gently caress never mind that is a serious promotional video for a serious business.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

My teacher Tristan is trying to increase his media presence. Here's a video of him cutting like a boss and a preview for more videos (with actual production levels) to come.

Preview: https://youtu.be/u-CP-pb8_QE
Cutting: https://youtu.be/O4jLFVZ-z_U

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Was seriously expecting a knee cut passing highlight

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

My teacher Tristan is trying to increase his media presence. Here's a video of him cutting like a boss and a preview for more videos (with actual production levels) to come.

Preview: https://youtu.be/u-CP-pb8_QE
Cutting: https://youtu.be/O4jLFVZ-z_U

two new experimental films featuring...

...dorks

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

At least the video quality and editing is good. So that puts it above most sword fighting videos I see.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

two new experimental films featuring...

...dorks

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Polls are open for a new thread title. Vote suggest over the weekend and Monday I will create a shiny new thread!

• Locked thread