Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Christoff posted:

Speaking of gi talk mine smells rancid. Any tips? Going to throw vinegar in the wash with it. Possibly a bit of bleach.

Don't mix bleach with any acid together unless you want to create chlorine gas!

If it's a white gi try soak it overnight in bleach. Then run it through the wash.

I usually run my gi with detergent and some anti bacterial Lysol. so far so good to keep the smell out.

Edit: congrats on the fight, fontyn! What's your record now?

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Same in about 8 years, we clean the mats and I shower after class and dont grapple with people that have infections. I dont get how a sport where youre supposed to be hurting other people and rolling around with them manages to attract so many hypochondriac nerds who hate being uncomfortable

Yeah because every BJJ guy in the world who wears a rasghuard is a hypochondriac nerd. You do realize that most guys who grapple wear rashguards except for in IBJJF competitions? Its called basic hygeine, and no one cares about your anecdotes but showering right after class and cleaning mats isnt enough when skin infections are passed mainly by skin to skin contact s. aureus, the bacteria that causes staph, has a doubling time of 20min at bodyheat temperature. Wearing a rashguard helps prevents this even further by limiting skin to skin contact, has nothin to do with being grossed out by icky things, its just another tool to prevent it. You're argument could be applied to washing the mats and showering as well: "Heh, hypochondriac nerds, you dont need to clean the mats, jesus christ. Havent you heard of showering? I cant believe people involved in a sport where we break arms would ever give a poo poo about cleaning mats, pfft whatever"

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

So I've been out off BJJ for a couple months now due to a ACL tear and I'm wondering if you guys have any must see submission grappling matches that I need to watch.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

swagger like us posted:

Yeah because every BJJ guy in the world who wears a rasghuard is a hypochondriac nerd. You do realize that most guys who grapple wear rashguards except for in IBJJF competitions? Its called basic hygeine, and no one cares about your anecdotes but showering right after class and cleaning mats isnt enough when skin infections are passed mainly by skin to skin contact s. aureus, the bacteria that causes staph, has a doubling time of 20min at bodyheat temperature. Wearing a rashguard helps prevents this even further by limiting skin to skin contact, has nothin to do with being grossed out by icky things, its just another tool to prevent it. You're argument could be applied to washing the mats and showering as well: "Heh, hypochondriac nerds, you dont need to clean the mats, jesus christ. Havent you heard of showering? I cant believe people involved in a sport where we break arms would ever give a poo poo about cleaning mats, pfft whatever"

Wearing a rashguard underneath your uniform has nothing to do with 'basic hygiene' and it has everything to do with being grossed out by icky things. Read all the posts above yours where they advocate wearing a rashguard because they hate when someone is sweaty or old and they have to feel their hairy chest. Do you wear grappling gloves and socks too to make sure your bare hands and feet dont accidentally make contact with another human

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Wearing a rashguard underneath your uniform has nothing to do with 'basic hygiene' and it has everything to do with being grossed out by icky things. Read all the posts above yours where they advocate wearing a rashguard because they hate when someone is sweaty or old and they have to feel their hairy chest. Do you wear grappling gloves and socks too to make sure your bare hands and feet dont accidentally make contact with another human

Whatever, some people have an issue with that, thats not what I am advocating nor talking about.

What I am talking about is the basic hygenic issues of skin to skin contact and the spread of bacteria. I don't wear grappling gloves and socks no, however 1.) My hands can be easily and immediately washed with readily available hand soap in a bathroom, my body however cannot be that quickly washed, 2.) My feet are a small portion of my body as well, and they don't have contact with the rest of my body. Talk to a doctor and they will always say its a better prevention. Like I said one more time, its just another tool to prevent it like showering immediately and washing mats, its not the end all and be all of prevention but it helps without being massively uncomfortable or intrusive into the sport. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Wearing a rashguard is to prevent skin infections, and also to feel more comfortable. I'm sorry this is such a spergy issue for you to rant about "hypochondriac nerds" because they feel more comfortable with a rashguard on. I don't care about sweat, but some do. Is that so offensive to you that some people don't like having their face buried in a sweaty, hairy chest? Oh no, I must now comment on the validity of that in my combat sport.

Guess what, the majority of guys who do BJJ, wrestling or any other grappling sport do in fact wear rashguards. Are all these high level competitors, MMA fighters, grapplers all hypochondriac nerds now?

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 22, 2012

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

swagger like us posted:

Guess what, the majority of guys who do BJJ, wrestling or any other grappling sport do in fact wear rashguards. Are all these high level competitors, MMA fighters, grapplers all hypochondriac nerds now?

Yes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Its important to wear protection when aggressively hugging sweaty men. It's reasonable to prefer to aggressively hug sweaty men who also chose to wear protection.

And for me at least, I am a hypochondriac about skin stuff because of how contagious it is and how little control I have about making sure other people are doing what they need to do to not have anything I could catch. Tournaments are the worst. People in your club you can influence, guys from other clubs you can't. And at tournaments it's not like you shower after every match.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 22, 2012

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I never wear a rashguard under my gi, it gets crazy hot. The only time i did i ended up leaving little puddles wherever i touched the mat.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Its important to wear protection when aggressively hugging sweaty men. It's reasonable to prefer to aggressively hug sweaty men who also chose to wear protection.

And for me at least, I am a hypochondriac about skin stuff because of how contagious it is and how little control I have about making sure other people are doing what they need to do to not have anything I could catch. Tournaments are the worst. People in your club you can influence, guys from other clubs you can't. And at tournaments it's not like you shower after every match.

I'm pretty stupid, in the past I often neglected to shower in favor of rubbing myself down with hand sanitizer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I read a blog post by a microbiologist BJJ practitioner that said the only thing you can do to reduce risk is to wash as soon after as possible. Soap doesn't matter; only physical agitation and removal of the germs. A rash guard doesn't help cuz the sweat carrying bacteria soaks right through and onto your skin. It's worse if you use it and don't wash it as much as you need to to remove germs.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I read all the recent replies to the hygiene discussion, and at first I was eager to jump all over some of the more ridiculous comments. But then I realized, I don't give a flying gently caress if you guys pick up any of the skin disorders we've mentioned. I've known countless athletes that have had to deal with these issues, and I count myself as blessed for only having gotten ringworm a half dozen times (no staph infections yet, but I've seen at least another half dozen training partners get it).

And your logic consisting of "I haven't gotten it yet, so everyone who's worried about it is overreacting" is so hilariously flawed that I won't bother trying to convince you of anything. I honestly hope you do pick something up, so you stop being retarded about your personal hygiene, and even worse... offering suggestions or criticisms to others who have better hygiene and experience than you.

Have a look at some images and statistics related to "staph infections" and then come back and wow us with your unbelievable wisdom regarding an issue you've admitted that you have no experience with.

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

So I've been out off BJJ for a couple months now due to a ACL tear and I'm wondering if you guys have any must see submission grappling matches that I need to watch.

Eddie Bravo v. Marcelo Garcia (non-competition, super friendly)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

kimbo305 posted:

I read a blog post by a microbiologist BJJ practitioner that said the only thing you can do to reduce risk is to wash as soon after as possible. Soap doesn't matter; only physical agitation and removal of the germs. A rash guard doesn't help cuz the sweat carrying bacteria soaks right through and onto your skin. It's worse if you use it and don't wash it as much as you need to to remove germs.

I read it too and ya he said it doesn't matter what you do just shower and don't rewear dirty poo poo.

Our gym has a rashguard under gi rule, I think its mostly so the school appeals to more people. They'll give bjj a try if they don't feel like they're going to get sweaty hairy chest ground into them for an hour and a half.

I wear the sleeveless style ones and it makes 0 difference in comfort. Don't be a baby and just do whatever the rest of your gym does, or if there is no rule then whatever you want.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 22, 2012

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Thoguh posted:

I have not once been to a doctor, for any reason, since beginning BJJ without shrieking "OH GOD IS IT STAPH!?"

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

I count myself as blessed for only having gotten ringworm a half dozen times (no staph infections yet, but I've seen at least another half dozen training partners get it).

And your logic consisting of "I haven't gotten it yet, so everyone who's worried about it is overreacting" is so hilariously flawed that I won't bother trying to convince you of anything. I honestly hope you do pick something up, so you stop being retarded about your personal hygiene, and even worse... offering suggestions or criticisms to others who have better hygiene and experience than you.

Hahah youve gotten ringworm 6 times and are lecturing about personal hygiene. Please tell me more.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Hahah youve gotten ringworm 6 times and are lecturing about personal hygiene. Please tell me more.

Even if you are careful about showering you can pretty easily get ringworm if somebody in your club has it. And once it starts going around a club it can be a bitch to eradicate. It's probably the most common thing people get at competitions. Or people get it from their pets and it gets into the room that way.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Jesus christ you are obtuse arent you? Way to not address any of his points, thanks for coming out

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Christoff posted:

Speaking of gi talk mine smells rancid. Any tips? Going to throw vinegar in the wash with it. Possibly a bit of bleach.
Washing it more regularly is the best way to make sure it never smells bad. Obviously don't mix vinegar with bleach.

You can soak it in bleach for a while, but understand you're shortening the life of the gi. Bleach breaks apart cotton fibers very well. I used to bleach my gi all the time; one day the sleeve ripped off except for the second layer on the shoulder. The fibers had weakened.

I wash mine after every very sweaty workout and every other workout if we don't get drenched. I use the Febreeze Sport Tide and it genuinely seems to work well in reducing odors.

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah I mean if you want to wear one fine but don't think it's really gonna actually make you less likely to get some infection. It's likely more dependent upon your own skin chemistry and sensitivity and your hygiene habits. 12 years, three countries, vinyl, rubber, tatami, cloth-covered mats in all manners of maintenance, I've never had an infection and never known anyone who has.

Maybe I just don't work out hard enough and some wicked infections and poo poo are for real warriors

Anecdote anecdote

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was sort of ironicposting because I'd just gotten done skinonskinning with another guy but I guess the discussion was good

Bangkero posted:

Edit: congrats on the fight, fontyn! What's your record now?

2-0, which feels weird typing because I bet 99% of fight goons who watch my match will know that I have yet to win *anything* with more-than-retard level skills

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

2-0, which feels weird typing because I bet 99% of fight goons who watch my match will know that I have yet to win *anything* with more-than-retard level skills

Hey man, I'm just aspiring to get to more-than-retard

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

You can soak it in bleach for a while, but understand you're shortening the life of the gi. Bleach breaks apart cotton fibers very well. I used to bleach my gi all the time; one day the sleeve ripped off except for the second layer on the shoulder. The fibers had weakened.

This is an important note about bleach and damage to cotton/other materials. For fencing uniforms, nobody uses bleach for this reason, also air dry it instead of tossing it in the dryer. Granted, with my sport I'm more worried about being run through by a tiny, metal rod than having to replace my jacket because the sleeve fell off. Really, I wash my kit (what can be washed, that is) with what ever detergent I normally use, and it hasn't really been an issue.

This also reminds me that I need to give it a wash...

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
retard level clinch knees and punch absorption

Here is a video of me getting punched:

http://m.youtube.com/user/animmalgear#/watch?feature=plcp&v=-Db4FDxGUF0

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
re: washing your gear

I don't know why you guys wash your gi, part of my strategy is to demoralize all of my opponents (training partners, whatever) with the smell alone.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

link to Fontoyn's fight for non-mobile people.

http://youtu.be/-Db4FDxGUF0

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Holy crap Fontoyn you took a loving beating. No idea how you made it through the first round or the huge looping left in the 3rd. Good win you won by having a better gas tank and being able to answer back to his agression.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

Good job dude, that was a good tough fight and you were the tougher guy, keep your drat hands up though next time

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Keep your drat hands up though next time

7:39

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The one at 10:03 is even better. No idea how fontoyn stayed up there.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Fontoyn, you look like a dork. A COMPLETELY INDESTRUCTIBLE dork. A high school bully throws his fist at you only to have his hands break on impact.

ps good fight

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

The one at 10:03 is even better. No idea how fontoyn stayed up there.

After the first round I really didn't feel anything he threw at me. My head's made of something else; after the fight the boxer told me he'd never hit anyone that hard and not seen them go down, drat.

I did a lot of stupid poo poo during the fight:
1. winked at girls in the crowd
2. Yelled how not tired I was at my opponent's corner during the fight
3. Kept my hands down

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Fontoyn posted:

After the first round I really didn't feel anything he threw at me. My head's made of something else; after the fight the boxer told me he'd never hit anyone that hard and not seen them go down, drat.

3. Kept my hands down
actually those first two things own

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Fontoyn posted:

3. Kept my hands down

Stick to the first two and you're gonna go far.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Shave your head, practice your double-leg and compete as Fujita Jr. (Alternatively keep your drat hands up.)

Great win.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

Tennis is, quite frankly, ridiculous as a martial art

what do you mean you learn to smash poo poo with a... bat

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

Hehe, I like how this ring is clearly set up at the fairground where they usually have the rodeo. I love MT.

Congrats on your fight.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Finally got a chance to watch that Fontoyn. That was amazing, it seemed like after the flurry of punches you took at 10 minutes the opponent was just "Well if he took that on top of everything else then how the gently caress am I supposed to beat him?" and you dominated. Congratulations!

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012
I understand the discussion has moved on to the science of how much punishment one man can take, but due to recent comments about sweat and germs, I have commenced production on a prototype full-body grappling condom.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My hands will never be that low again. Next fight is early September so the list of things I can improve on is long but time is short.
1. Hands
2. Cardio
3. Nickname
4. Walkout music

Is basically my focus flowchart for the next month. Coach gave me a week off to rest/heal my face, thankfully. Fighting at the state college I'm an incoming freshman at

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
You remind me of a young James Thompson Fontoyn, that is very high praise indeed if you didn't know.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fontoyn posted:

My hands will never be that low again. Next fight is early September so the list of things I can improve on is long but time is short.
1. Hands
2. Cardio
3. Nickname
4. Walkout music

Is basically my focus flowchart for the next month. Coach gave me a week off to rest/heal my face, thankfully. Fighting at the state college I'm an incoming freshman at

You need to stop taking so many hits to the head because this. So make sure better head movement, bob+weave, and defensive hand techniques are all part of your flowchart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Fontoyn posted:

3. Kept my hands down

Hahah I like your style dude.

On an unrelated note, my ippon seoinages have improved so much this summer! I've been doing hours of uchi komis every day and they're really paying off, the shoulder throw "spin+loadup" move feels as natural as a punch these days and I can pop into it from anywhere as soon as I feel my opponent's balance falter. Being someone who only ever used shoulder throws to mask leg attacks before, it's a whole new world :D

• Locked thread