Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Looks like the Philippine Army found the suspect who shot the cyclist. http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/575569/news/nation/suspect-in-quiapo-road-rage-slay-arrested-in-masbate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Omglosser posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and call fake on that one too. Security cams don't wobble the way people holding them from on high do, they also don't accidentally try to follow the action when it goes off-screen. That and this is almost literally the exact same scene as before.

I agree

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Despite the questionable relevance, anyone know what kinda sentence this guy is looking at for Murder 2 over there?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

DandyLion posted:

Despite the questionable relevance, anyone know what kinda sentence this guy is looking at for Murder 2 over there?

Seeming like ~40 years plus whatever extra he gets for the bystander, based off of similar cases as reported by questionable internet sources.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My quasi-effortpost about Judo in Rio is up in the Olympic Subforum

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone have that old youtube where it's like "how knife attacks actually happen" where it's like 10 seconds black and white and the guy shanks another guy a dozen times with a rubber knife?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Actually I'm pretty sure real knife attacks are all overhead stabs and the attacker freezes in place as soon as he hears the first "KIIIIYAH!"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mewse posted:

Anyone have that old youtube where it's like "how knife attacks actually happen" where it's like 10 seconds black and white and the guy shanks another guy a dozen times with a rubber knife?

Not the video you're asking for, but does have a knife attack clip and other funny stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yzCBUXTUPIs

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
What's the consensus on weight lifting / gaining weight in conjunction with martial arts training? I only recently got healthy again (lots of time recovering and hospitalized in 2015) and I've lost even more weight since I started doing Muay Thai/Tae Kwon Do.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's cool and rad and you should do it

but you'll have to work out how much your body can take and program accordingly, it'll vary from person to person based on genetics, diet, and how much sleep you get

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ziji posted:

What's the consensus on weight lifting / gaining weight in conjunction with martial arts training? I only recently got healthy again (lots of time recovering and hospitalized in 2015) and I've lost even more weight since I started doing Muay Thai/Tae Kwon Do.

There is no advantage to being stronger in martial arts; focus on channeling your ki instead.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There is no advantage to being stronger in martial arts; focus on channeling your ki instead.

Ki channeling also burns a lot of calories.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's cool and rad and you should do it

but you'll have to work out how much your body can take and program accordingly, it'll vary from person to person based on genetics, diet, and how much sleep you get

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just a serious counterpoint to this joke or footnote to "cool and rad" - it may be worth taking a little longer to think about whether you want to add mass if you're thinking about competing in a weight class sport. There's no right or wrong answer, but sometimes going up a weight class because you added a few pounds of muscle can amount to a competitive disadvantage, especially if you're a smaller person. If you're almost a heavyweight and you can get shredded and start competing at heavyweight, however, that's a big big advantage because you'll be fighting fat guys who should be middleweights.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CommonShore posted:

Just a serious counterpoint to this joke or footnote to "cool and rad" - it may be worth taking a little longer to think about whether you want to add mass if you're thinking about competing in a weight class sport. There's no right or wrong answer, but sometimes going up a weight class because you added a few pounds of muscle can amount to a competitive disadvantage, especially if you're a smaller person. If you're almost a heavyweight and you can get shredded and start competing at heavyweight, however, that's a big big advantage because you'll be fighting fat guys who should be middleweights.

While this is true, I think realistically most people don't gain mass all that fast and if he just "got healthy again" he's probably in relatively bad shape and has quite a long way to go (he could probably gain 5-10 pounds of muscle and lose the same amount of fat) before getting to anywhere problematic. Basically if you don't have a 6 pack and you're that serious about optimizing your weightlifting for competition, you have a lot of room ahead of you since you can just get leaner and more muscular.

Also to answer the original question, being stronger and having a better stamina is always a good thing so yeah do some weightlifting if you have some room in your schedule. If your goal is solely to get better at your martial arts, then you should probably use most of your time doing that martial art though. (you're better off doing your MA 5 days a week than doing it 2 days a week and weightlifting 3 days). Not every school offers classes at times that are convenient though, so may be that's not possible for you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KingColliwog posted:

While this is true, I think realistically most people don't gain mass all that fast and if he just "got healthy again" he's probably in relatively bad shape and has quite a long way to go (he could probably gain 5-10 pounds of muscle and lose the same amount of fat) before getting to anywhere problematic. Basically if you don't have a 6 pack and you're that serious about optimizing your weightlifting for competition, you have a lot of room ahead of you since you can just get leaner and more muscular.

Yeah I missed the "got healthy again" bit. My point was working from the basic assumption that he was already in a reasonably athletic physique and thinking about "Adding mass." More of a footnote anyway.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Haha the "channeling ki" post made me laugh, thanks for the input guys. Mega appreciate it

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Ziji posted:

Start slow, eat a lot. Like, a lot a lot, and accept that you're not gonna be able to train lifting quite as hard as people that do it as their only sport. It may be beneficial to count your calories for a while to make sure you're getting enough. My cutting diet revealed to me that I wasn't making maintenance on my double training days and increasing my protein and total calorie intake helped my gains noticeably.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm going to share this video for no particular reason beyond that it's 90 minutes long and I apparently really like to listen to old martial artists lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpCt9JAAx18

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
So MA goons I need some opinions on a new gym because I don't think SK karate is really cutting it for me.

-Backstory, skip to the bottom for the gym's I'm looking at-

I've been doing ISKF karate for ~3 months now, about to test for my yellow belt in a few days. Everything was going great, getting a good workout in, lots of sweat, lots of movement, getting the stiffness out of my joints from all the weight-lifting I'd been doing recently, overall good times right. Well cut to the other day, I'm walking in the Costco parking lot, being a good little goon and putting my cart away when this dude comes tearing in off the main thoroughfare doing ~35mph down the crowded parking lane that I'm walking across. I'm halfway across the lane and see him turn in ~80 ft away and think to myself, surely he's going to stop, I'm literally in the middle of the lane walking to the other side, it'll take me 10 seconds to get out of his way he can't possibly keep coming and run me over. Oh boy was I wrong, he trys to blow through in front of me and my cart, but finds himself stuck up against the parked cars and little ol me, my cart literally 6 inches from his car just behind the drivers door. I stare at him not believing that this dude seriously almost ran me over and do what any red blooded American who almost got run over in a parking lot would do, I flip him the bird. Well he didn't take kindly to that and proceeds to get out of his car, his wife screaming at him to calm the gently caress down and get back in the car. At this point I'm more shocked than anything, this dude can't seriously be mad that I flipped him off after he almost ran me over, and he can't seriously be trying to fight me in broad daylight in the middle of the Costco parking lot. I start backing up immediately, keeping my cart in between me and him while he starts screaming at me, I try to stay calm and yell back "dude you almost ran me over wtf is your problem", he then grabs my cart and throws it into traffic and proceeds to do that normal HS style fight instigation; you know, chest out arms back while moving right at me.

At this point I stop really listening to him and start really looking at the situation. He's bigger than me, 6'1-6'2 to my 5'10/5'11, he's heavier than me at ~250lbs to my ~204, he's also a lot older than me, probably 45ish to my 33. I'm definitely buffer, the vast majority of his weight looked like fat, but it looked like that muscley fat you know. My major concern was that I was wearing sandals and had baggy shorts on because I lost weight recently and my clothes don't fit well (yay me). I really looked at him and realized that after 3 months of training and a fancy new yellow belt, I was 100% sure SK karate would absolutely get my rear end beat if I tried to do anything. I could try to puch him, but my dojo doesn't do real sparring so I'm not sure about my reach, what I'd do next so on and so forth. I couldn't very well kick, I was in sandals. I wasn't really sure about blocking either, and most importantly I haven't actually been hit in the face in anger for going on 8 years, so I really wasn't sure if I could take a punch from this dude. After spending all that time and money buying gi's and going to the class and doing my little kata's and poo poo, I was no better off in an actual fight than when I started and that annoyed me.

Now, I had ZERO intention of actually trying to fight, I've been in the Air Force for going on 9 years now and know for a fact that win or lose my rear end would be grass for fighting in public, especially since I wasn't exactly innocent in all of this (flipping the bird and all). Still, it was SUPER disconcerting to realize that I really wasn't sure that I'd win if this guy continued to come at me. I couldn't even run since I was wearing flip flops and baggy shorts. This bothers me, I like to at least know that I can defend myself if someone really comes at me in anger (and I don't want to conceal carry), and as much as I enjoy SK Karate, I need to look into something that at least has real sparring.

-end backstory-

So I found these two gyms that really interest me. The first one is a boxing gym: http://www.neutralcornergym.com/ the head coach seems pretty legit, won some coaching awards here in Az and the fighters seem to do well. The second is run by a former UFC fighter: http://www.risecombatsports.com/ I'm really interested in Muay Thai, the one thing I did learn from karate is that I have fast legs, so kicking seems neat. I also did some Judo in college and always liked doing combatives when the AF offered them (mostly Judo/JJ chokes and what not). I'll be checking both of them out, but wouldn't mind any feedback you guys might offer in the mean-time.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 15, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I can't help you pick a good gym, but unironic congrats on not dying in a fight!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

JacksLibido posted:

So I found these two gyms that really interest me. The first one is a boxing gym: http://www.neutralcornergym.com/ the head coach seems pretty legit, won some coaching awards here in Az and the fighters seem to do well. The second is run by a former UFC fighter: http://www.risecombatsports.com/ I'm really interested in Muay Thai, the one thing I did learn from karate is that I have fast legs, so kicking seems neat. I also did some Judo in college and always liked doing combatives when the AF offered them (mostly Judo/JJ chokes and what not). I'll be checking both of them out, but wouldn't mind any feedback you guys might offer in the mean-time.

They both look legit, and either will boost your parking lot fighting level / confidence to where you are trying to get it to.

Since they train completely different styles, its probably going to be more down to your preferences. Also straight up boxing gyms have a rep for being old-school and trial-by-fire-ish, and will probably be the one more likely to leave you marked up for work the next day. Personally If I was just starting out and could only train one thing ever, jits would be my first choice and boxing my second. The only reason boxing isn't higher is the threat of long term damage.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 15, 2016

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Siivola posted:

I can't help you pick a good gym, but unironic congrats on not dying in a fight!

Thanks, not dying is always a win in my book

Kekekela posted:

They both look legit, and either will boost your parking lot fighting level / confidence to where you are trying to get it to.

Since they train completely different styles, its probably going to be more down to your preferences. Also straight up boxing gyms have a rep for being old-school and trial-by-fire-ish, and will probably be the one more likely to leave you marked up for work the next day. Personally If I was just starting out and could only train one thing ever, jits would be my first choice and boxing my second. The only reason boxing isn't higher is the threat of long term damage.

Thanks for the feedback.

Being in the military I'm not that concerned with showing up the next day bruised up, people will understand and I don't have to do sales stuff or work with customers or anything. Though getting punched in the face a lot would definitely hurt my tinder game... I loved Judo when I did it, my concern in this instance was that going to the pavement would have hurt, not just because it's asphalt but also because it's summer in Az and that poo poo is HOT. That's why I started thinking about boxing, in that one instance I'd have been limited to fists based on my clothing. I'm definitely leaning towards the MMA gym though, it certainly has a lot of variety going on, including boxing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jesus loving Christ fitting a Sisu mouthguard can be infuriating. :argh:

*sucks teeth violently*

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 15, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

As much as people in the UFC threads make fun of Chris "Never Heard of Him" Cariaso, he has always struck me as an extremely rounded fighter who made the most of what he could with mediocre physical gifts, and I would be shocked if he wasn't at least better-than-average at teaching people how to fight.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Siivola posted:

I'm going to share this video for no particular reason beyond that it's 90 minutes long and I apparently really like to listen to old martial artists lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpCt9JAAx18

Haueter says some similar things in this video, but the coolest part is his philosophy re: awarding someone a black belt. Also features a bonus appearance by Renato Laranaja doing his usual shtick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70CzAhMF4U

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

CommonShore posted:

As much as people in the UFC threads make fun of Chris "Never Heard of Him" Cariaso, he has always struck me as an extremely rounded fighter who made the most of what he could with mediocre physical gifts, and I would be shocked if he wasn't at least better-than-average at teaching people how to fight.

Just got back from a Muay Thai class and it was definitely more of what I was looking for. With gyms like this I expected it to be more like one of those things the fighter just attaches their name to for money but no poo poo he was teaching the classes, and for the first couple ones you go to he basically does a 1:1 with you to catch you up with the rest of the dudes. Very cool dude and definitely seemed like a good teacher. My Karate teacher was a 4th Dan, had a PhD in sports athletics or something, and worked in the athletics dept. at the UofA, and Chris was pretty much on par with teaching skills. Definitely found my new gym, and it's closer and cheaper to boot!

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 16, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Street self defence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xedd0BIlvpc

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Wow, these guys would OWN on da cobbles

https://www.facebook.com/1000270519985042/videos/1249040648441360/

Too dangerous for UFC!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about identifying a technique which I'll describe it as best I can from the notes I made after class this evening:

Basically, I start on my back with the other guy in a closed guard. He goes to stand, but he staggers his feet to stop me from grabbing his ankles, dropping my hips and pushing him over. So what I had to do was get a grip on one of his arms, then loop my other arm around the back of his near leg so I've got his ankle tucked into my elbow, and shift my upper body toward that leg so I've got my head close to the hand I'm trapping it with. I then push my hips up as high as I can (the hardest part) so they're sort of over his knee, and then use my hips to drive him over, using my other hand to push myself if necessary, so I can get him into a mount.

Appreciate that this may be poorly described, but can anyone tell me if this technique has a name? I was having a bit of trouble with it and wanted to look up some videos that demonstrated it.

Ta.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I would recommend Fushida. They make both BJJ and Judo gis with little to no adornments. Fighting Films and Judoka Gis also are worth checking out too.
There seems to be a few of you recommending Fushida. I'm also looking at starting BJJ, but I'm a pretty thin dude. Does Fushida fit people with slimmer body sizes, or should I look at a different brand?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I know what you're talking about but not sure the name. Maybe single-x sweep.

e: Similar to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citQ8YuV1FU&t=254s

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 17, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kekekela posted:

I know what you're talking about but not sure the name. Maybe single-x sweep.

e: Similar to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citQ8YuV1FU&t=254s

It's not quite that (though that is a very interesting video, thanks) - I don't think the guy on the bottom would be breaking his guard in the one I'm thinking of - his legs would stay anchored around his partner's waist while most of his movement is in his upper body on the floor. However, it is indeed very similar to that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMRg5YWLmRM

Sounds close to a star sweep?

edit: actually re-reading that. you end up in mount? So you attempt the double ankle grab sweep, you grab his arm and push with your hips?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question about identifying a technique which I'll describe it as best I can from the notes I made after class this evening:

Basically, I start on my back with the other guy in a closed guard. He goes to stand, but he staggers his feet to stop me from grabbing his ankles, dropping my hips and pushing him over. So what I had to do was get a grip on one of his arms, then loop my other arm around the back of his near leg so I've got his ankle tucked into my elbow, and shift my upper body toward that leg so I've got my head close to the hand I'm trapping it with. I then push my hips up as high as I can (the hardest part) so they're sort of over his knee, and then use my hips to drive him over, using my other hand to push myself if necessary, so I can get him into a mount.

Appreciate that this may be poorly described, but can anyone tell me if this technique has a name? I was having a bit of trouble with it and wanted to look up some videos that demonstrated it.

Ta.

I believe this is what you're talking about -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YuVanmw8Jo&hd=1

I don't like calling it the Waiter sweep, though, because there's another sweep from half which is more commonly called that, and is different enough to cause confusion.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fatherdog posted:

I believe this is what you're talking about -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YuVanmw8Jo&hd=1

I don't like calling it the Waiter sweep, though, because there's another sweep from half which is more commonly called that, and is different enough to cause confusion.

That's exactly the one, thanks very much! And that video is also very useful. :)

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

KildarX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMRg5YWLmRM

Sounds close to a star sweep?

edit: actually re-reading that. you end up in mount? So you attempt the double ankle grab sweep, you grab his arm and push with your hips?

Star sweeps are extremely my poo poo and there are few things more satisfying in life than doing it successfully

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's exactly the one, thanks very much! And that video is also very useful. :)

The part most people forget is planting the other hand, without which it's very difficult to destabilize someone with good base.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Keg posted:

Star sweeps are extremely my poo poo and there are few things more satisfying in life than doing it successfully

I love them, but as a big guy, no one lets me start closed guard, and no one trys to stand in my guard if I do it.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

melon cat posted:

There seems to be a few of you recommending Fushida. I'm also looking at starting BJJ, but I'm a pretty thin dude. Does Fushida fit people with slimmer body sizes, or should I look at a different brand?

You might want to look at a different brand. Fushida is getting out of the BJJ gi market since they lost alot of money trying to get their judo gis to IJF approved last year. They only have A1 and A4 sizes on their BJJ gis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

You might want to look at a different brand. Fushida is getting out of the BJJ gi market since they lost alot of money trying to get their judo gis to IJF approved last year. They only have A1 and A4 sizes on their BJJ gis.
I had no idea about that- good to know. Thanks!

• Locked thread