Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Here's a Sambo write-up, shamelessly copied and pasted (and edited) from my school's website:

quote:

An acronym for “SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya” or “Self-defense without weapons”, Sambo is a form of sport, self-defense, and combat established in the former Soviet Union during the early twentieth century. Under the leadership of Sambo’s forefathers V.S. Oshchepkov, V.A. Spiridinov, and A. A. Kharlampiev, indigenous fighting styles from regions including Japan, China, Mongolia, India, Africa, Europe, North America, Caucasus, and Russia were studied and blended into what is now known as Sambo. After generations of civilian and military refinement, Sambo has evolved into an extremely formidable fighting art with principles applicable to martial artists of any style. Sambo’s arsenal includes, but is not limited to, strikes, joint locks, chokes, throws, ground fighting, and weapons. Like all fighting systems, Sambo continues to grow and evolve in both its sport and combat variants.

Sambo’s effectiveness lies in the student’s ability to master and flow with his or her own natural body movements. Inasmuch, Sambo training begins with an examination of one’s instinctive approaches to movement. Once the student begins to move freely and comfortably, alone and in tandem with other students, techniques are taught that synchronize with the student’s innate movement style and individual preferences. In Sambo training of this kind, techniques evolve out of and generate their power from fluid, confident, and comfortable understanding of physical movement and energy manipulation. Standardized technique is secondary to improvisational movement.

This is not to say that strength, power, and technique do not play a role in Sambo. Quite the opposite, refined technique, power, and strategy are integral to Sambo’s effectiveness. As students progress, they begin to negotiate an individual balance between strength and movement - fortifying devastating strikes, throws, and combative techniques. In essence, every practitioner practices a system of Sambo unique to his or her self. Unlike most other martial arts, Sambo does not practice standardized kata, forms, or curriculum.

Sambo practiced as a sport comes in several different flavors. Sport sambo in Russia is most similar to Judo, with an emphasis on throws and pins, and very limited time on the ground to finish submissions. There is also "combat sambo" the sport -- distinct from combat sambo, which is essentially military combatives meant for practical self-defense -- which is like a hybrid of regular sport sambo and mixed martial arts, where there is still scoring from takedowns and pins, but with the addition of punches, kicks, and knees.

In the US, many schools (particularly members of the American Sambo Association) compete in "freestyle sambo" which is a modified ruleset for sport sambo in which more emphasis is placed on the grappling aspect of sambo, and there is more time spent on the ground after a takedown.

An important distinction between sambo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is that sambo generally spends more time learning and practicing leglocks and less time on the guard, due to the pinning rules and limited grappling time (conversely, because you can't reap the leg during leg control in BJJ and because beginners usually don't learn leglocks at all, leglocks get less attention). This isn't to say that any given sambo/BJJ practitioner or school won't be great at one or the other, though.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ZoneManagement posted:

What do you all think about this TKD place? It's close to my house and I was thinking about switching my son there.

http://www.uma-musado.com/?q=node/1

Wow, no. Aside from the fact that they don't seem to be WTF or ITF affiliated, stuff like this (in the rules section) is a big red flag:

quote:

Do not participate in activities held by a school or club other than Universal Martial Arts (or their affiliates) without permission from the Teachers/instructors.

Also, a lot of their accomplishments on the "about us" page are either completely vague/unsubstantiated ("10 time state champion and 5-time national champion") or seem like bullshit ("USMAA Millenium Hall of Fame" -- googling this brings up that school's website as the first hit, and the USMAA site is circa 1997 geocities quality and does not mention the instructor in the Hall of Fame section).

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 5, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I have a friend (not really a friend, but someone I know) who is convinced that Aikido is the be all and end all in a fight. I have tried showing him MMA/UFC and what not but he has all this bull poo poo about why it doesn't count. Is there a right up any where on how rubbish Aikido really is in the physical combat sense? I know bullshido used to have these great Your Martial Art sucks videos but I can't find an Aikido one.

Learn something useful and kick his rear end I guess? There's really no way to make idiots stop being idiots.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

awkward_turtle posted:

I wrestle. Jiu-jitsu is some esoteric foreign word that implies that I'm training to be a cage fighter or a weeaboo in most peoples minds, so I tell people I wrestle. I thik that's changing though. As MMA gets more popular people seem to understand that Jiu-jitsu and MMA are different things, and anybody with wrestling experience asks me who I wrestle for and gets the longer answer.

This is what I say when people ask what sambo is. I just say it's a Russian sport that's kind of like wrestling. I don't ever mention that I train MMA or striking, because people will almost always interpret that as you trying to act tough or that you are a violent person.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Is anyone here into Sambo? I'm really interested in it despite my lack of any wrestling background but I'd love to hear some more about it. I'd be interested in "competitive" Sambo too, although I wouldn't really have the opportunity to get into too heavily until I am finished with school (my university is in bumfuck nowhere). Would the rest of this summer be enough time to take like a few intro courses or something and get into it if it is something I enjoy?

I've also looked at Krav Maga, and I'd appreciate hearing about that too from anyone that does it. I see a lot of classes offered around town for it, generally in terms of some self defense course or "boot camp" thing, is Krav Maga something where the basics can be grasped decently in such a short time period? Or are all of those classes and workshops gimmicks?

Finally, is there some database that would give me an idea of what gyms / dojos or whatever they are called are in my area and which ones are worth my time and money? Martial arts seems like a moderately expensive hobby and I don't want to get involved with those gyms where you are getting crappy training and constantly paying out the nose for new belts and uniforms and poo poo.

Sambo guy here. You probably won't find too many sambo McDojos, just because sambo has virtually no name recognition so someone looking to make a buck with subpar training most likely won't call their place a sambo gym.

Take a look here for a list of legit sambo gyms: http://www.ussambo.com/sambo_school_nat_asa_members.html

Sambo doesn't have any formal belt system. Well, we do, there's a red and a blue belt, but that's just so the referee and scorekeepers can tell you apart. :v: Individual schools might have their own ranking system to give students a sense of their progression, but most don't.

Sambo and Krav are really different. Obviously, sambo is a sport and Krav isn't, but even when you look at the combatives side -- remember, sambo was originally developed as a combatives curriculum for the Red Army, and adapted to sport later -- they are very different. Sambo focuses more on things like fundamentals of movement and defense and protecting vital areas of your body as you engage the person or escape. Krav is about counter-attack, disarming, fighting multiple attackers, and things like that. I personally prefer the sambo approach, since it's more practical for me and less focused on "well here's what you do in a situation where you're going to die 99% of the time". Also keep in mind that good Krav Maga instruction outside of the IDF is virtually nonexistent.

There is no martial art where the basics can be "grasped decently" in a short amount of time such that it would actually help you. It's all about internalizing the movements until they become second nature, tons of repetition, and lots and lots of sparring. The only way you can ever really become proficient at any concept or technique is to use it in sparring against a resisting opponent. That's why aikido doesn't work. Anything that claims to teach you actually useful self-defense skills in a few days or weeks and isn't called "how to buy running shoes that fit" is bullshit. Even if the techniques are sound, showing them to people who won't then practice them for a few months is just setting them up to get stabbed to death when they try to fight someone instead of run away.

Let me know if you have any other questions about sambo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I'm putting this in the OP because I think it does a great job of addressing a big misconception. I hate those "women self defense seminars" and "executive defense training" classes for exactly this reason.

A few years ago my friend once asked: "why do you still do jiu-jitsu, it's been like 2 years, don't you know everything?". I don't know how to even start answering that.

Just make a sports analogy. If you play basketball for two years and know the mechanics of how to do every type of shot, crossover, and pass, it doesn't mean you've gotten as good as you can get at them, be able to do them consistently in a game, or that you won't pick up new moves and get better as you continue to play.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think everyone respects karate again since Lyoto Machida smashed his way up the UFC ladder. Even if Shogun kind of humiliated him later, Machida showed that there was nothing wrong with the martial art, it was just the lovely way it's usually taught. I mean, he crosstrained a shitload obviously, but he showed that he could stand and strike with boxers and muay thai guys and pick them apart with pure karate. If someone does the same thing with TKD, it'll have my respect too.

Machida's striking is in no way "pure karate", though. Like, not even close. Karate-influenced, sure.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

Ok, so here's me: 23, 5'6", 145 lbs, horrendously out of shape to the point of getting winded walking up a few flights of stairs, hardly ever done any serious physical activity in my life... except for a few times when I've taken fitness classes in school and actually made some minor but satisfying gains. Gains which were immediately lost as soon as the class was over, because I am apparently only motivated by going to classes.

So, it seems like a martial arts class could be pretty great for me. I want to get fit, and my friends who do BJJ say it's awesome for them. HOWEVER, I worry that I am too out of shape to actually begin- like, I would need to increase my base level of fitness to not get laughed out of the class/beaten savagely. This is PROBABLY all in my head, but it would be nice to get some insiders' perspectives on this. If I show up to, say, a beginner's BJJ class, will they turn me away/expect more of me than my body can give?

No, they are used to/expecting you to be a beginner in both expertise AND fitness, that's why it's called a "beginner's" class. Any school that would belittle you or force you to do more than you're physically capable of isn't worth training at anyway. Just go.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

AlteredAtronach posted:

Is wing chun effective? Or is it just a case of techniques being diluted/hosed up by the succeeding generation to the point of being unrecognizable?

The short answer is no, it's not, though it isn't because of being "diluted" or anything like that. Wing Chun itself is only like 100 years old, it's just based on some really lovely principles.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I'm sure at one point it worked. That Yip Man guy (is that his name?) fought all kinds of people all over China back in the early 20th century, trying to promote Chinese martial arts. I think he even fought some Muay thai fighters, karateka, or western boxers and catch wrestlers. It's possible all the fights were rigged but Occams razor suggests Yip man was just a good fighter.

I don't really know, I just read some internet articles after watching that Jet lee movie.

It also probably looked a lot like every other striking style, rather than what WC looks like today. It's no coincidence that boxing Muay Thai, San Shou and Kyokushin karate have fundamentally the same mechanics. Just like how there is a hip throw and a double leg in every grappling style (that hasn't outlawed touching the legs).

"Effective" Wing Chun would be kickboxing except you can hit with any part of the body, wrist/arm control is legal, and you can clinch. Which, honestly, would be pretty neat and very practical.

Maybe some kind of Wing Chun Machida will appear and beat the poo poo out of people in MMA and lead the revolution.

I don't think there's actually any evidence that Ip Man traveled around China defeating all comers. Ludicrous inflation of the reputations of CMA instructors is pretty common.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Oh, I thought there were newspapers that covered his events. Then again, I cannot read chinese so I have no idea what is actually written on those papers.

I speak Chinese, if you can find any of those articles and post them I'd actually be really interested to see them. Partly because it sounds really unusual for a newspaper to cover two guys sparring somewhere.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I thought Mas Oyama actually fought dudes and what not? Or is that another TMA lie?

No, he did, or at least his students/other Kyokushin dudes did. He also karate chopped bulls to death in his spare time.

The thing is, Mas was a sport Karate competitor and ex-soldier who founded a martial arts organization with a clear structure, set of rules, and competitions. He also didn't do anything else all day but lift heavy rocks in the mountains and punch people, and he cross-trained in other martial arts. Yip Man was an opium-addicted degenerate policeman who opened a martial arts school to fund his drug habit.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 8, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pres posted:

I got my first coloured belt in Jiu Jitsu the other week, on my way to black!

Do they keep the coloured belts separate from the white belts?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Huo Yuanjia, however, seems like a pretty legitimate fighter

I don't think there's really any evidence that he fought a bunch of dudes, either. Hell, his Wikipedia page cites a review of the Jet Li movie as one of its sources, and also basically says that the two fights he was famous for (against a Russian wrestler and British boxer) didn't actually take place.

I guess he did help found a pretty big CMA organization that basically just does Wushu now. Though, Wushu has almost nothing to do with fighting.

A lot of Chinese martial arts guys have huge inflated reputations with absolutely no evidence (see: Wong Fei-hong), I think because Chinese people, in my experience, are really credulous when it comes to martial arts -- partly because it's such a big part of their cultural mythology, and also because they put a lot of stock in word of mouth and do not tend to question authoritative-sounding claims. Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I was told "I heard there was a guy in [province] who [impossible ridiculous thing]" when I lived in China, and when challenged it would always be defended -- "no, it's true, my friend said it was in the newspaper!".

Anecdote: I took a Chinese friend of mine to an Art of War (the biggest Chinese MMA org) show in Beijing, and the following week she bought us tickets to a Shaolin stage show because she wanted to show me "the real martial arts." :smith:

Xguard86 posted:

Wing Chun is just above ninjitsu in the "total bullshit" rankings.
I wouldn't say that, a lot of Wing Chun schools actually do full-contact sparring, which puts it waaaay ahead of a lot of other TMA's.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 11, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

Does the phrase for "martial arts" in china have the same parts meaning "Art of fighting?" If so what she said could be accurate in the capital A art sense.

Well, the Chinese phrase for martial arts is gongfu, as in...Kung Fu. I'm sure you've heard it. But no, her intention was to show me guys who really know how to fight. As opposed to, you know, professional MMA fighters. "Zhen zhan" (real warfare) as opposed to "didao zhongguo gongfu" (authentic Chinese martial arts). Because dudes flipping around on a stage with staves is real fighting. I mean, it was cool and all, but she also argued passionately that the only reason the Shaolin monks weren't competing in MMA was because they would kill the other fighter or were only allowed only fight in self-defense.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Illegal Username posted:

By the way did you know it's pretty hard to put pants on a man who doesn't want to wear pants. At least i think there's no move for that in BJJ.

BJ, J

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

All this CMA talk has motivated me to make a post about my favorite Chinese martial art, and one of the oldest martial arts in existence: shuaijiao!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsoFaavr0I

What is shuaijiao, you ask? Well, literally translated from mandarin it just means "wrestling", but it also refers to a specific sport and martial art that's thousands of years old. It originates in the folk wrestling traditions of northern China, especially Mongolia, and shares elements of technique, scoring, and uniform with Mongolian folk wrestling. The shuaijiao vest actually allows for similar similar grip work, near the upper arm, as the sleeves worn in Mongolian wrestling. If you ever wondered where the epaulets on sambo kurtka are from, it's this!

The rules of shuaijiao are very simple, since there is no groundwork or pinning: score points by forcing your opponent to touch the ground with any part of their body other than their feet, while remaining standing. Scoring differs by region and competition, but generally speaking you get more points for making your opponent touch the ground with multiple points (both knees, for example) or their torso, and additional points are won with throws that rotate the opponent -- so, a big hip throw would be worth more than a foot sweep.

Because you must remain on your feet for a throw to count, there are no sacrifice throws or shots, while there's an emphasis on foot sweeps and hip throws. Reaping throws are used, but not as much as in judo, due to the decreased balance of throwing off of one foot. The grip work is also unique, as competitors wear a short-sleeved vest, which makes wrist control more difficult but allows multiple grips on the upper torso.

Technique-wise, you probably won't find anything you wouldn't also see in sambo, judo, or western wrestling styles. But, it's a really fun set of rules to compete in, and I thought I'd bring it to the attention of the thread since it's virtually unknown outside of China and Taiwan. I had the pleasure of training a bit at a shuaijiao gym in Beijing about two years ago, and had a blast.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 11, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

This sounds pretty entertaining. Does anyone ever do a sacrifice throw with the intent of scoring more points on their opponent than themselves? Like you give up 2 points to score 4?

It doesn't work that way -- if you touch the ground with anything other than your feet during the throw, or don't finish the throw on your feet, it just doesn't score for either person. What you do see, sometimes, is someone briefly take a knee a get a leg position, like as an entrance so that they can stand back up and transition to a leg sweep or reaping throw. This is risky, though, since all the other person has to do is kind of shove you and it'll count as them "forcing" you to take a knee, and score them a point. Generally speaking good shuaijiao wrestlers will stay on their feet.

Just for reference, the scoring I use when I spar for fun with shuaijiao rules is:
1 point for a 1-point touchdown (hand or knee) while staying on your feet
2 points for a 2-point touchdown or if their back, butt, chest, head etc touch the mat
An extra point on a throw for a 180 degree rotation

As far as I know this is pretty standard.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 11, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

There's also the terms wushu, which means martial skills or even martial arts.
As well as wudao, the principles or philosophy of fighting. Which is the same as Budo in Japanese. But the definitional distinction doesn't mean that plenty of Chinese people are just as gullible about super deadly skills as the general public elsewhere.

Literally it does mean that, but if you were to say "I practice wushu" (wo lianxi wushu) it would not really mean "martial arts" in general, people would think you do the silk pajama dancing kind of wushu. "Gongfu" is kind of China-specific, the best term for martial arts/combat sports in general would probably be "quan ji", which is basically "boxing" but refers to any non-traditional striking martial art. Likewise, "shuaijiao" works for any kind of grappling. Whenever people asked what sambo was I would just say "ruguo shuaijiao" (Russian wrestling) and that got the point across.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can score by throwing the person out of bounds or by throwing them and landing directly on top of their torso, but these are both only 1 point. They're both so rare I forgot about them, since it's a big risk to do a huge sacrifice throw that when successful only gets you one point, and if you just wind up on your back you give up 2.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Right, to more clearly answer Office Sheep's question, there is certainly a concrete notion that Wushu is a performance art. However, I think it was also clear in that lady's mind that the wushu performance was actually deadly, as opposed to just acrobatics. It was not the case that the lady was trying to show Mechafunkzilla a better example of a Chinese Art.

Hunh, the ringout is a big scorer in sanshou, following leitai tradition. Does it only score 1 in shuaijiao? Oh also, the literal meaning of shuaijiao is to take a fall, which is fairly accurate in describing the action in the sport.

Yeah, just 1 point for pushing someone out of bounds. Remember, shuaijiao owes a lot to northern wrestling traditions, and Mongolian wrestling has no ring.

As for my friend who took me to a Shaolin kung fu show, she understood that what they were doing was just a performance, but at the same time she was convinced that a Shaolin monk would easily dominate were he to compete in mixed martial arts.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

Do Chinese MMA players differ much in styles from here? Do local fighting styles colour Chinese MMA in a Machida-esque way?

Nope. Well, lots of guys with muay thai backgrounds, but there were no, like, Kung Fu fighters. Also most of the main card guys weren't Chinese.

Freestyle/greco isn't really a popular thing there so all the Chinese dudes were your standard MT/BJJ.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

TravellinDan posted:

Kung fu guy chiming in. Been doin it for just over a couple months now, at this place http://www.waterlookungfu.com/ It has been a lot of fun so far, and I think iy will continue to be as long as I'm interested in the whole "package". Some night are self defense, others are forms (kata in Karate I think), other nights we work kicks or punching drills. There is sparing, but I haven't been able to participate because I don't have a high enough belt yet (this is my main complaint with the place). The whole experience has been great for fitness, which is the main reason I joined, and the environment is very friendly and fun.

After reading this thread, I think I lucked out. The instructors are very aware of the unpracticality of the majority of kung fu for fighting, often saying things like "obviously in a real life scenario you would never stand or punch like this". When we do practice sparring techniques, it looks a lot more like kickboxing than kung fu, with rules like no elbows or kick below the waist.

I think everyone there (at least who I've talked to) is pretty self aware of the practical limitations of kung fu in terms of fighting, and do it more for self improvement.

Sounds like you're at a good place. Sparring is really the great equalizer when it comes to martial arts, since bad instruction will be immediately apparent when you're trying to do something against a resisting opponent. It's no coincidence that, say, a punch in muay thai, western boxing, and sanshou are almost identical -- there are certain things that just work the best in a given ruleset, and since all of these disciplines have been practiced for hundreds/thousands of years, peoples living thousands of miles apart have still independently figured out the ideal body mechanics for what they're trying to do.

Authentic combat manuals from medieval eras are really fascinating to me, because even though they're 400+ years old and are from all over the world, they have basically the same techniques you see in things like modern wrestling and MMA -- not particularly surprising given that back then, armies actually did fight hand-to-hand, and training martial arts that really worked was a matter of life and death.

Check this out, a German combat manual from the 1400's: http://www.scribd.com/doc/6498917/Medieval-Combat-A-15th-C-Illustrated-Manual-of-Sword-Fighting-and-CloseQuarter-Combat-Hans-Talhoffer

Single- and double-leg takedowns, foot sweeps, back trips, hip throws, sacrifice throws, front headlocks, whizzers, side control, guillotine chokes...they really knew their poo poo. I also love that about half the stuff in an armed combat manual is just "get close, drop your weapon and grapple the dude".

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 11, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dirp posted:

This is really cool. Page 242 is absolutely essential for any martial artist of today and I really feel like it's not stressed enough in just about any school you'll go to.

Gonna bring this up at sambo. Anytime a guy spars a girl he needs to start in a waist-high pit while she swings a bag with a huge rock in it at his head.

e: I'd be super-obliged if anyone can make plate 247 avatar-sized.

Also plate 250 is :black101: as gently caress.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 11, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I was always taught that kicking someone in the balls isn't that great a move because when someone's adrenaline is pumping, it's relatively easy to shrug off. This is backed up by personal experience. Plus you're risking that the guy will catch your leg.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 12, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fawker posted:

So, yesterday I was rolling with a new guy and generally being a nice training partner and not going too hard.

I have him in side control and I've given him a little room so he can bring his right arm in and either push me off or to just to let him frame up on me. Instead, this jackass uses the room to bring his elbow down onto the inside of my thigh near my balls, really loving hard. It doesnt hurt so bad at first and Im just kinda pissed, this guy tried to escape sidecontrol by bashing my balls in and I don't roll with him the rest of the night.

The inside of my thigh hurts a little for the rest of the evening but it just feels like muscle soreness, no biggie.

This morning, it feels like theres a fork jabbed into where this guy elbowed me, I'm struggling getting down stairs, or walking around all thanks to this jerkoff. There isn't any bruise or anything where he struck me so I'm confused as to whats wrong with me.

Rest it for a few days, groin injuries are a bitch. Muscle bruises won't always show up as a black-and-blue mark.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

zalmoxes posted:

A friend asked me if I'd back off in a fight if the other person started fondling my balls. He thinks making a homoerotic gesture will scare off an attacker. Obviously, the dumbest martial arts discussion I've had yet.

He also linked me this article http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-20025266-10391697.html

The proper name for this is "the oil check".

If someone were fighting me and they stopped defending their face long enough to try and fondle my balls they would be unconscious before I ever realized what they were trying to do. Not trying to be internet tough guy here but fights move really fast and if you're taking time out of defending yourself or hitting the other guy to try and grope them you're going to get hammered. Tell your friend that's a really bad idea.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 12, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

i doubt cheick kongo's victims suffer from a lack of adrenaline

Cheick Kongo could knee you in the buttocks and you would still crumble into a pain-addled heap so it's kind of irrelevant.

Paul Pot posted:

explain your personal experience

I've been kicked flush in the balls a few times while sparring and while it sucks real bad and I elected to stop for a minute to recover, were I in a real self-defense situation I would have been able to keep going.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Just once in a movie I'd like to see the female protagonist knee the bad guy in the junk, and instead of comically falling down and groaning, he just kind of winces and then pistol whips her. Even in more serious action movies people getting hit in the nuts always act like they just got shot.

Xguard86 posted:

I have a special irritation when womens' self defense courses teach girls to knee guys in the balls and run. First, it is not an easy target, even an untrained guy just knows how to defend his balls from a lifetime of experience. Second, you might make him regret it for the rest of his life, or at least several weeks, but it's not helping you in the next thirty seconds, which is what a "self defense" technique should do.

Most women's self-defense classes should just be renamed "how to provoke your attacker into murdering you".

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 12, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

At my gym, there's a female instructor who's really, really big into empowering her female students, which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, one of said female students posted "I'm not scared of people who do MMA, I'd just kick them in the junk and go for their eyes," (paraphrased) on her facebook wall.

:ughh:

My sambo coach loves doing this with new students who ask why you don't just reach back and gouge someone's eyes when they're choking you out. He takes their back and encourages them to try their best to poke him in the eye, let's them fumble about for a few seconds and then applies a RNC. They forget about the eyes real fast, what with being too busy trying to tap out, making funny throat noises and falling asleep.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I did learn that if you are choking someone and they go for your eyes, you shove your face into their neck and it pretty much takes that off the table.

Yep, this goes for any other situation too, really. Say if you're in someone's guard and they go for your eyes, you bury your face in their chest.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

I didn't think chokes existed in Sambo so I looked it up and discovered freestyle Sambo is something that exists. I wish it was in my area, it seems quite fun.

Yeah, my coach is the guy who founded it :)

Syphilis Fish posted:

First of all, why can they sit up to reach your face to scratch if you're in their guard.

Second of all, if they sit up, why isnt a straight right landing in their face as they do so?

If eyepokes are allowed, so are strikes, right?

I don't think you understand how the guard works. You don't need to "sit up" to reach someone's face.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 13, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

It's a good idea to try to lure over Judo and BJJ players. I also like the little shorts.

We're like right next to Marcelo Garcia's school so there's no shortage of cross training bros (and bro-ettes). Everyone just wears normal board shorts, though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ManicParroT posted:

With regards to all the ball grabbing eye gouging:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZKZsqWdFw

One of the better responses that I've seen online, it's part of a very good interview series with Draculino.

Incidentally, is it just me or is that one of the most :metal: names in BJJ?

There's a slew of reasons why you don't want to hang out in guard in a real self defense situation (or spend much time grappling at all, really) but getting your balls grabbed definitely isn't one of them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Syphilis Fish posted:

Not to have a bullshit fight on the internet, but if you let him reach your face while you're in his guard you are doing something wrong as the top guy.

Yes he can try to bring you down to him. but why are you letting him? it is the top guys lack of skill which lets the bottom guy pull top guy down in whatever way. top guy should be able to maintain position.

If you are in his guard in an MMA/realfight situation, you should not be pulled down using whatever; hips, legs, hands etc, all good ways to bring you down to him, but if you do what youre supposed to be doing, it should all be in vain because you're not giving him any of those as options.

And I certainly can't believe that you think that the top guy should just lay in/on the bottom guys guard?

What are you talking about? Guard is a control position. If you're sitting postured up, even if the guy has his legs around you, you're not really in guard. Also the idea that if you're not posturing you're "doing something wrong" is hilarious. There are a lot of passes that don't involve posturing up.

quote:

I understand you can armbar from guard. But see the above point; Top guy has to make a mistake for bottom guy to take op guys arm for an armbar/kimura/guard attack. You can only force moves on people who are weaker than you. And what's the point of that, since you can already beat them?

(Check this/the previous thread, I have some videos that'll show you that I've been competing/training for awhile if you doubt my credibility as a martial artist.)

REGARDLESS, this seems like a derail, we were on the subject of eyepokes ?

The top guy has to make a mistake...like throwing punches from guard? That's, like, exactly what the bottom guy wants you to do to let him go for an armbar. Plus, if you "never made a mistake" you wouldn't be in guard in the first place. Fights don't always go exactly as you would like, because you've got a resisting opponent trying to exert his will on you. And don't pull the "I train" card, virtually everyone in this thread trains.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 13, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Syphilis Fish posted:

First of all, I'm pretty sure that the textbook definition of being in someone's guard is : bottom guy is on his back & has his legs around top guy who is sitting up.

If you think throwing punches from guard is a mistake, then I will concede the argument to you. There is no arguing with someone who thinks that, except for gong sau. From my point of view, you have some clue what you're talking about, but believe to be infallible, grappled a whole year now?

What I meant was that the armbar is a counter to someone throwing punches from a high posture in guard, and that the attitude that you would literally always be postured up in guard unless you "made a mistake" (completely ignoring the fact that you're not sparring with a mannequin) was dumb. And cut out the sarcastic poo poo with "grappled a whole year now?", it makes you look like a douchebag. I don't think my grappling knowledge is infallible at all, but the idea that someone will never be able to reach your head in guard unless you let them is silly. I guess that's why triangle and guillotine chokes literally never happen in high-level MMA :downs:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 13, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Syphilis Fish posted:

If you are in someone's guard, and he can reach your eyes, you are loving up.

This is like saying "if you are boxing and your opponent punches your face, you are loving up." Technically true, but still a really dumb thing to say.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Aikido sucks mega-huge balls for transitioning to BJJ because there's no sparring. You'd actually be better off with a non-grappling MA with real sparring like boxing, it would at least get you in shape and get you used to things like footwork, spacing, and staying relaxed while fighting.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

zalmoxes posted:

The idea that aikido doesn't have sparring, while technically true is somewhat bullshit. Randori in aikido is trained with a nage (the person doing the techniques) and the uke(the attacker/agressor) however the role of the uke is not to just take pretty breakfalls. A good uke has to strike with force, speed and intent, and not fall if nage didn't actually unbalance him. Again, there are many people in aikido who don't train properly, they're just going through the motions.

This is super dumb though because unless the uke actually trains in striking or a real grappling art then their attacks are going to be dogshit, and aikido doesn't teach striking or wrestling. Plus having a set attacker and defender and going through a predetermined technique is not sparring, that's called "a drill".

I mean, you can defend against "punches" or "takedowns" all you want but unless the guys doing those techniques aren't just aikido guys then what's the point. Because aikido doesn't teach and practice the proper way to hit someone, shoot, etc.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

zalmoxes posted:

I would disagree somewhat on aikido randori being a drill. If you haven't done it before I'll explain.
1. There is a nage (the defender).
2. There are usually multiple attackers (uke)
3. Each attacker is allowed to perform any attack - punch, grab and kick. The nage doesn't know which opponent will attack or what kind of attack it's going to be.
4. Nage is not limited in how he takes care of the attacker. Any defensive technique as well as atemi is welcome. The goal is to successfully defend yourself from the attacker, regain your position and focus on the next opponent, who is going to attack you at any time.
This usually lasts 1-2 minutes and the attacks are done in quick succession. How intensive or realistic randori is depends on who you're practicing with.

In randori you don't know what the other guy is going to do. That's kind of the point.

What you're describing is still a drill, though. We do the exact same thing in my combat sambo classes. It's not like, say, a breakfall drill, but it's still just a drill - both people have set roles as attacker/defender, only one attacking and defensive technique is used at a time, etc. Sparring is an entirely different thing.

• Locked thread