Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just chill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's an addiction like any other, one which feeds your ego and your self esteem. When hooked and faced with the prospect of a poorer body, I'd imagine it's very difficult to quit.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You seem nice

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dickhead.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah they're dicks but that doesn't mean I should be.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ch3cooh posted:

Had a first for me at bjj this morning. After 7 years of training I choked a guy all the way out. It freaked me out. I had a collar choke from top half guard and he was resisting it pretty good. I felt like I had it deep but he wasn't tapping. Then he started making gurgling noises and I was like oh poo poo. I let it go right away and raised his legs up. He was snoring hard and then woke up and gave me a funny look. Like I said it freaked me out for a little bit.

Why is raising their legs a done thing? New to bjj here.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What level of class was this? Fundamentals, given the victim here was new? What do you do in your fundamental class that'd allow someone's ribs to get hosed up? Genuine question. I'm doing a fundamentals class it's (fortunately) incredibly safe + restricted.

I guess it could've been a mixed class...

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for your answer. I'm doing a class in Glasgow, and I'm a bit jealous that you're able to roll together from the outset. I'm saying that only after going for 3 months and only recently getting a grip on things. Our 1 hour class is very compartmentalized, not lots of time on the mat rolling really but I guess that's normal for beginners.

Aye, hopefully this incident sends a message to your instructor that dangerous dude is dangerous. Also hope it didn't dissuade the new guy, though it probably would dampen my enthusiasm.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tbh I don't even actually know. I don't know how you attain stripes either.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've been going (GB) for 3 months and I've never been given a stripe, nor has anyone who's joined around the same time as me. I've been going at least 3 times a week. I doubt stripes are given out that quickly, at least in my school they aren't.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Pretty funny stuff

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sounds like hell.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just echoing these opinions, I started BJJ four months ago and yes, everyone has been extremely friendly and welcoming. Very patient too, putting up with my clumsiness. I've been doing weights / gym etc for a long time so I would say I'm in decent shape, but there seems to be a lot of people who turn up who aren't in great shape to begin with. This doesn't seem to be a problem though as they quickly adapt and improve their fitness very quickly. My brother is in the same situation: he doesn't want to start until he gets in better shape. I've been trying to convince him he just needs to go for it but he's difficult to convince.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gaz2k21 posted:

Man I both love and hate reading these post's, It make's me sad that I don't have a local place to train BJJ the one gym that teaches it is legit as far as talent goes but it's full of rear end in a top hat's (many of whom I see at my job which owuld just make things awkward).
Ioccasionally get to some out of town places but it's literally weeks/month's at a time.

That's a pity man. I hate even missing a few sessions nowadays. Would despise not being able to train regularly, even after only 4 months.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ours is similar (Gracie Barra). Purples take the fundamental / mixed classes, now and again our professor, a black belt, takes a class. Dunno what the advanced classes are like because I'm not there yet.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well done on going, you've done the hardest part, as others have said. I've been going now for 3 and a half months and I never thought I'd become quite as consumed by BJJ as I am now. I'm watching videos, reading books, thinking about it pretty much constantly. I'm going at least 3 times a week, and yeah, it gets under your blood. I was told before I went that after 1 session I'd either hate it or fall completely into it. Thankfully it's been the later. Hopefully for you too it's the same. I imagine the novelty will wear off but I'm just so hungry to learn more techniques and improve my own game day to day that I figure I'm in this for the long haul. It doesn't hurt when the people you train with are all superfriendly and welcoming. So, aye, hopefully you get on well with it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Our BJJ beginners is 1 hour. Too short, for me. Warm up, self defense, technique, positional sparring. Sometimes we can stay late if we like.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I too am 100% up for a separate fencing thread.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jab is obviously the best punch obviously.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where's that fencing thread?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've never been into boxing, never seen a boxing match but I figure through watching MMA that jab is king.

Speaking of, maybe going to boxing class on Thursday, what vaguely can I expect? Been doing, and loving, bjj these last few months but I'd like to give striking one class at least, cross it off the list.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It gets much easier, sick with it. I started the same thing 4 months ago and can't get enough now. I felt the same about the contract thing though in my group there are a few who turn up in whatever kind of gi they want.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fun

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm sometimes a little jealous of smaller players because they have to have very very good technique to pull off moves whereas bigger guys, such as myself, can use the weight and size difference to our advantage (whether deliberately or not).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TollTheHounds posted:

I definitely don't get angry when I'm rolling, at least consciously, that's one of the best things about BJJ in general to me - I've never met a coloured belt that has not been insanely chill. I don't know if they all smoke weed but every blue+ belt I've ever talked to or rolled with is just so drat relaxed it makes me envious. It's like the better you get, the more relaxed you get ( or at least appear, outwardly ).

Yes! Glad I'm not the only person to have noticed this. I'm in awe at how chilled the experiences people in my class are. I hope to attain some more chill as I progress. I think my disposition is fairly good though but these people are on another level.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seen an ad for it, where the main woman was holding an assault rifle. So...

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I desperately want to go to a class now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye anyway, I agree that Rogan video is pretty cool.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Crosspost: So I'm a 4 month white belt with no tabs. Been told there's a grading in a couple weeks. I assume this is where tabs are given out. What should I expect in a grading?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks dude. Very insightful. I'm not worried or stressed about it, I judge my own progress but there's certain things you can't do without tabs (open mat rolling, subs) so, it'd be nice to be able to do them.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jesus, stay away.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It happens, man. Try other things while you can't roll. I felt the same when I first started BJJ. Had to miss a week or two while my feet healed up. It's frustrating because you're only just getting into it, but it's the best move. If for nothing else, you don't want to be known as the gross feet dude.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Definitely clicking that link.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's exactly what I did pretty much. Read a BJJ book, watched videos, did kettle bells & took jogs. Shame to have missed time but it has to be done.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I do kettle bells

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We [Gracie Barra] always say it. I think it's a "ok, let's go!" thing. I like it. It's fun to say :)

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Did some boxing tonight for the first time. My arms are killing me already. Had a good laugh though. Sparring was very intense, getting used to breathing, being hit, striking, moving, all at once... very intimidating. Fun though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So after boxing last night, I've a whole new level or respect for those who are able to clown about with their arms down. How the gently caress. I couldn't stand sparring (first time ever), though I did, but doing it with no hands down is ridiculous.

Back to BJJ today, give me some advice on being more aggressive please. I've been going 4 months now and doing quite well, I think. Getting the funadmentals down, holding my own in rolling. I see myself as very reactive and defensive (maybe all beginners naturally are?) I guess part of the reason is that I'm quite strong, decent body (not lanky, not fat, limber) and have good cardio, so I'm able to hold position, or resist other peoples' attempts at sweeps or subs. Now, having just got my first tab, I've not been taught many submissions. I don't know how to apply or go for them, really, because when no-tab people spar, we're not to do subs (I know). Can anyone advise me on being more pro-active in taking a contest, aside from researching subs on my own and stuff.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the advice. For whatever reason, I never have a plan of attack, I usually just go with what's happening. Next time I'll be more proactive in trying things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aight, class time. Be aggressive. Cheers lads and girls.

• Locked thread