Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Yay back in Brisbane. Training! This 3-4 weeks between being able to train sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

You can still pop it out lifting, ask me how i know :(

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Jerome Louis posted:

Any of you guys ever train in Thailand for muay thai? I'm going there this summer for almost a month and am trying to decide which camp(s) I should train at.

Not yet, going to go train at Lanna muay thai in Chiang Mai for a few months later in the year. When I'm not working 24/7

Hope the neck is ok Adolfo!!!!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

hey guys long time no post

i'm still in the loving Australian desert, still my kicking my poo poo bag all by my lonesone, developing all those bad habits

no jiu jitsu since i was last in Brisbane for a break which was like 6 months ago

Have done a bit of proper muay thai training at my gym at home but gently caress all really

I'm supposed to have an amateur muay thai fight in February or so. gently caress. So fat and slow and lovely. I'll have 2.5 months straight to prepare though once I get home in December plus whatever crap I can do here (mostly cardio I guess because bagwork sucks)

oh this is about the dude that runs my gym at home:

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/other-sport/181356/kickboxing-tough-task-honey-badger

he fought on Friday night, won his first fight but lost his second, first time in the ring in like 3 years because of knee injuries

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Feeling better today. My knees suck. Not the joints, the strikes. Although the joints kinda suck too actually, one of them has some calcified muscle tissue or some poo poo on it after I fell on concrete and when I knee things it ends up swollen and kinda sore. Should really get something done about that. Have an injured ankle too because I was dumb and fell 3 meters to the ground off my frontend loader at work wearing jandals and now my ankle hurts like gently caress whenever I put weight on the front of my foot with the foot bent upwards if you know what I mean. It only happens like once a day when I walk up or down something pretty much but I injured it like 3 weeks ago so I should go see a doctor I guess.

Feels good to be back in training. Starting to get flexibility back and feel more coordinated and faster. Just got to stop eating biscuits. No access to scales but probably 73-74kg and want to get down to probably 65. Was walking around at 68 earlier in the year without too much effort and still a bit fat at that. Diet is hard because it's like a million degrees here and I just eat biscuits and drink freezing refreshing cans of free coke from the company fridge.

I need a padholder/sparring buddy at work gently caress

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Incidentally I'm not actually a brony. Someone bought every notable TFR poster my little pony avs it's pretty weird

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Kumo Jr. posted:

The avatar didn't catch my attention. This part of your posting did. Step 1 towards better health and diet is to give up the Coke.

Whoa really? No way!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It sounds hilarious and awesome, I'd do it if I could

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Turns out I have some minor tendon damage in my ankle, dumb. It'll heal.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I bought new gloves and focus mitts and thai pads and really shiny shorts with lots of tassels and also some other stuff from a website in Thailand and they sent me an email yesterday saying "sorry bro your poo poo isn't going to ship for ages 'cos we're flooded" then today I got an email saying "hey bro your poo poo has shipped" so that's cool

actual question: what weight gloves do you guys use for different stuff? I just use 14oz gloves for everything but is it usual to have a pair of 16oz for sparring and 10oz for bag/pad work or something? should I be doing it differently?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Here's something I was typing up for my own benefit. Might as well drop it here to stir up conversation. I'm thinking about switching gyms this year, and made myself up a pros/cons list to try and help me weigh it up. I'd be keen if anyone with cage experience wants to have a look through and give me an opinion. I was thinking of kicking my training up a notch and taking a fight or two at the end of the year. Might as well take a fight or two before I pass my prime. I feel like I'll legitimize myself as a martial artist, even if I scrap MMA and just do BJJ/Judo for the rest of my life. But that's why I'm taking the decision so seriously, I intend to train the hardest I ever have and beat myself into the best shape of my life this year.

Current Gym:

Been open for some years now.
About 20 minutes drive.
Decent but not amazing facilities. Nothing's missing but mat space gets very limited on busy nights.

Wrestling: The wrestling teacher is a weird old USSR escapee. He kinda scares me. He definitely knows his poo poo with regards to wrestling, but I don't like the atmosphere of his classes.

BJJ: Has a black belt, four brown belts, a bunch of purples, etc. Our head coach is a black belt but he's not a particularly good one, he gets his rear end kicked at black-belt level competition. One of our browns is really good, but I have trouble understanding him sometimes, with his thick Brazilian accent. He has trouble explaining concepts sometimes. The black belt is usually a nice guy and his classes have a good atmosphere, but he's a bit weird and two-faced sometimes. He gets in arguments with his fighters and loses them to other gyms regularly over pay disputes and things. He has his browns teach most of the classes.

Striking: The old muay thai teacher was an excellent and world class thai guy, but he spent most of his time on his fight team and didn't care much about his non-competitive students. I also had trouble understanding him a lot of the time. He just left and I think one of his senior students is taking over.

MMA: They have a pretty good record in local MMA, one of the better gyms in the city. But the fight team actually travel around and train at other places/by themselves in their own time, behind the coach's back to supplement their training. That sounds like a lot of effort. Also, the aforementioned politics, the coach is good at upsetting his fighters and making them leave. I think he tries to insist that they teach his classes or something.

New Gym:

Just opened up.
5 minutes driving, or 10 minutes jogging.
Great facilities. They host local MMA shows here, but have just started using it as a space to teach the public as well.

Wrestling: The wrestling teachers are better teachers, and nicer. And closer to my build. They do well at local and national level competition, apparently.

Judo: They're also bringing in a judo teacher this year sometime. I like judo, and I'd no longer have to travel to a separate gym to do it. If the teacher is who I think it will be, he's a beast who crosstrains BJJ and is a decent MMA fighter in his own right, so it'd be judo with a focus on things that are applicable in no-gi.

BJJ: The BJJ teacher is a purple, but a very good purple. He went from blue to purple in 12 months and I saw him dominate the purple division at a local competition this year, with ease. He's also rising pretty fast in MMA, he's
about 6-0 or 7-0 now, I think. He's a nice guy and genuine, very driven.

Striking: I have no idea who's doing the striking, or how good it is, I haven't check it out yet.

MMA: The head teacher guy has a good MMA record, but because the gym is brand new I don't think they have any MMA fighters waving that flag yet. He used to train at my current gym until one of the aforementioned splits. I don't think the politics between the two gyms are hostile, but they're not super-friendly either.

Pros of switch:

Much closer. Easier to get to. Might start making a dramatic difference if I'm training more often than before.
More mat space.
A cage to train in.
Smaller team, more individual attention from coaches.

They seem to integrate the standing wrestling/grappling with the ground stuff in a better way. My standup is practically nonexistent. Classes at my current gym are more segregated, you learn everything at individual classes and then there's a separate "MMA" class a few nights a week if you want to put it together, while the new gym seem to teach each class with a focus on the whole package.

Cons of switch:

Downgrading from a black belt to a purple belt as a BJJ teacher.
Fewer training partners.
Would be leaving behind a few really cool training partners, though I suppose I could head back there for an open mat night every few weeks to stay in touch with them, provided I navigate the intergym politics carefully.

Other/Neutral considerations:

Both gyms are the same price, or extremely close.
Choice is pretty limited with wrestling down here. It's not a cultural thing like it is in the USA and high schools don't teach it or compete in it. (Australia)
I'm only on the lower end of a blue belt, so I still have plenty to learn from a good purple, I guess.
I have dabbled in boxing, muay thai, wrestling and judo. But I've been really inconsistent with all of them, BJJ is definitely my core.

Where's the new gym? Dip left advance? bummer

I spent the last 6 months of last year flat-out working, now I'm taking like 3 months off and training thai every day at my "home" gym, it's a nice change of pace.

Hoping to have an amateur fight in March

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I got punched it the jaw

It was cool

I'm bad at boxing

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is kind of a special case. I've had ingrown toes cut out four times when I was a teenager. I don't want to post pictures because it's gross, but basically I broke my toe, and it made the toe malformed. Letting the toe keep growing forward will actually cut off this weird lump of flesh I've got at the front of the toe and return my toe to a normal shape.

It's not going down a side or anything, it's just pushing directly forwards. Imagine that you have a lump at the end of your toe growing upwards over the path of the nail.

Also, you don't notice the pain of an ingrown toe most of the day. If you hit it at the wrong angle it hurts like hell, but it's fine for most stuff. For example, if I were to hold somebody in side control, with the end of my toes touching the floor, it would be agony. But I can run, skip, lift and box and it's barely noticable. The pain level will stay about the same, I think it kills the nerves as it goes.

I'm tossing up whether or not to do some Muay Thai down the line a bit. I figure if I was good at it I'd never hit my toes, but I'm bad at it so I probably will.

cut the bit of skin in front of the nail off now? just do it. get it over with. ?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

niethan posted:

When a big hunk of man wrestles me into submission I can't help but fall in love.

Our Gay Sport

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

My gym got kicked out of our old premises after 6 months because we were causing the ceiling in the offices downstairs to fall out. Third move since 2009, poo poo's getting old. We're hoping to get a sweet new premises soon, really big space, shared with a grappling/bjj gym these guys) who seem pretty legit.

Right now we're just training in whatever rooms are free at the clubs and societies building at the university which kinda sucks cos we can't do grappling and have no gear really and have only 2hrs a day

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

My training schedule right now is

Mon, wed, fri: 1hr mt technique, 1hr fitness/conditioning
Tues, thurs: 1hr boxing, 1 hr sparring

To change significantly when we get a new gym, ie, I'll just move in and live there haha since I'm probably loaning my trainer the cash to pay the deposit and poo poo. I need to thrash some bjj while I can too

I'm down with rolling with gay dudes, I tried to get a gay dude I used to work with to get into bjj, he didn't like exercise though.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Training today kinda sucked, I had one of those days when you're like "gently caress this I'm doing everything wrong" although I did go down early and skip for like an extra half hour which was pretty awesome

my movement in general sucks it's my no1 priority to improve that, head movement and footwork

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This was a fantastic post that answered all my questions, thanks. I'm boxing obsessively for a few months while my dumb toe heals, with MMA as the eventual goal.

Just do what that one guy did and cut it off

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

So in the past you guys have talked about how hard it is to get girls to keep training at your gyms. We've never really had that problem, dunno why, but we have like... 6-8 girls that regularly come to train muay thai/boxing. Weird.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Are you doing lots of skipping? I sort of get that from skipping. I'm pretty sure it's shin splints and I'm basically just ignoring it

The whole dead legs thing I don't know about

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

what's the choke that Joseph Gordon-Levitt uses on the guy in the hallway in Inception called?

edit: a youtube video called it the "snake choke"

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 25, 2012

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

today we move into our new gym!! huge space, needs a lot of work but it has heaps of potential and we can finally have a proper timetable of classes again instead of just 1-2 hours in the evening

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Are you the guy who posted the pictures of the ultra ghetto gym with roof that was about to colapse? Looked very spartan and awesome

Nah, but we got kicked out of our old gym with 2.5 years to go on the lease because basically that happened.

Now we have a giant building which used to be an indoor paintball thing. It needs some work but it's great to be back in an actual gym where we can train more than once a day. As a plus there's a sweet BJJ/grappling gym in the other half of the building, so we can do muay thai/boxing in our half then go grapple in the other half

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

wow are you really that small?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

New gym!! Moved in last week.

We need like. 150 more mats. And to knock down some walls and clean up a heap of paintball residue off the walls (it used to be an indoor paintball thing).

It's great having a real gym and full timetable of classes again. I'm doing 2-a-days now and Saturday mornings and actual sparring and wooo improvement. First amateur fight 28 April

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Senor P. posted:

Sweet space. You may want to put some cheap padding around those beams. (If you cover it with say colored duct tape, it doesn't look half bad.)

Some fresh paint and cleaning would make it look really nice.

Yeah that's on the to-do list.. have to clean all the paintball residue off the pillars first. Also need to knock down some walls which will make it like 1/3 bigger still, we've got some big mirrors at our old gym that we need to get moved in somehow. Going to put in a ring and etc. 4th gym site in 3 years, hopefully the last!!

Other news, anyone else ever get sore wrists holding thai pads? I have some super-hard boon ones and they transfer all the energy of kicks right into my wrists. They're great to kick but kinda suck to hold

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

at least 2 showers, heaps of toilets, a BJJ/grappling gym with a Brazilian BJJ blackbelt in the other half of the building, and a big area upstairs where our MT trainer/owner is going to be living.

I'm one of the longest standing members and put in some money for the deposit on this place despite not being very experienced or good at fighting (yay work interfering) so I sort of have a bit of a propriety feeling towards the gym

I'm in the middle of taking like 5 months off work now just so I can actually train and have a fight for once, because my job is mineral exploration living in a tent in the Australian outback for weeks at a time, making it impossible to train consistently/at all So right now I don't do much except train/sleep/eat/repeat

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 10, 2012

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Rikthor posted:

Got my blue belt in BJJ last night :toot:

Congrats, how long?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Mine is way too short, I thought like 1.2 metres or something would be heaps, but it turn out it's not

Not that I ever do gi jj anyway

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Omglosser posted:

I dunno about where you guys are from, but there's this weird pseudo masculine 'thing' in my area, where if you train MMA and especially if you fight competitively, you're a "pussy". Like if a guy doesn't like another guy and the other guy does MMA, the first guy will be like "He's one of those fuckin' mma-whatever pussies." Or under no provocation you get something like "Fuckin' cage fighter pussy I ain't skeered of you." Just sharing a curious observation. I just don't get calling someone who happens to be dating your ex a pussy just because he can probably kick your rear end, especially when he's minding his own business.

To me, it's like announcing that you're really insecure about yourself.

Well that's dumb.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

You lie! :mad:

No really it doesn't

walking into a spinning back kick to the liver, on the other hand...

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

Oh and in injurychat, talked to the doctor, turns out I have a sprained thumb and I'm out for 2 weeks. Is it weird if I just turn up and kick a bag for 2 hours?

You've still got 1 good hand, 2 good elbows, go nuts

I still did padwork/bagwork even with a sprained left wrist, just didn't put any power into my lefts

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Intimidating in what way?

I'd say stick with it.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Depends on your goals. If you want to fight mt, train mt. If you want to box, train boxing.

If you take up boxing then move to mt you'll have a lot to relearn and you'll get kicked in the leg. A lot.

From my mt training I find boxing sparring really hard now, because I'm so conditioned to using teeps to make space, finishing combos with kicks etc... I always end up starting to throw kicks from habit when boxing sparring

Also sparring mt with the boxing guys at the gym is fun, it's so easy to kick them

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah sparring with people who have crap shinpads does suck

I have some twins ones which are ok

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I'm sure this has been asked before, but, any tips for drying gloves/stopping them smelling like poo poo

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Just get some sweet thai shorts and wear them everywhere

I want a new ball-protector. I got kicked in the nuts twice in 30 seconds today when sparring. My current cup is a $20 plastic thing that fits fairly badly. Any suggestions for something better?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think this is the one I've got: http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/core-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx

The cup/compression short combos feel pretty good. There are quite a few others to choose from: http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/compression-shorts.aspx and http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/cups-supporters.aspx

How are they to kick with? Also, where'd you buy yours? Locally or off the net?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Is that like.... today? 10 hours away?

I sparred with some newer guys today (MT), it was interesting, for the last while I've only been sparring with the experienced fighters at my gym, they're all way better and way more experienced than me and I've been getting pretty consistently whipped, it was kinda fun to have a go with some newer guys and see how much I've improved... It gets disheartening when you're always sparring with guys with several fights (I've had none) and always getting outclassed so it was a good confidence booster... I still have a lot to work on before my fight though (5 weeks to go...)

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 23, 2012

• Locked thread