Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirp
May 16, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

I'm not sure how the West Coast works but http://www.wildcardbc.com/

Edit. Looking at the website and drat Wild Card is such a real loving gym. I love Freddie Roach. He could have a gym where he charges rich scrubs 200 a month but no he keeps it at a modest 50 a month so that the less fortunate can come in and train too. That's how you discover diamonds in the rough!

Holy poo poo I can't believe he only charges 50 bucks a month, in Hollywood no less. That is a loving insane deal. It's not uncommon for lovely mcdojo places in the middle of nowhere to charge more than twice that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirp
May 16, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

The lower levels of boxing instruction is fairly compact in terms of space per person, so that helps. Also I'm sure people don't get much direct instruction from Roach itself. With all his pro fighter work, it might feel more like going to an affiliate gym. That said, I'm sure it's still quality boxing instruction from his other coaches, at an insane price.

e: I referred to Freddie as an it above, but it's too funny to edit out.

Oh I know you'd pretty much never be getting direct lessons from Roach himself, maybe a few seminars a year if that. But yeah like you said, you're still going to be getting his instruction trickled down almost directly through some top notch instructors for 50 bucks a month.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Was hitting the heavy bag today at YMCA because I'm back at my parents with nothing to do and I had a guy tell me I shouldn't use gloves while hitting the bag. Apparently I should use dumbbells instead because it, "makes your hands tough and you punch way faster" :downs:

This man was also karate chopping the bag before I started working on it.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Ligur posted:

I snorted beer into my nose reading this to produce a very odd guffaw followed by a regular laugh. Well done.

We kidnapped a friend (not martial artist) for his bachelor party this way. They were in a church for the baptism of his cousins kid. We conceived to ask his wife to take him out at certain moment and were waiting in ambush. When he asked her what's this about, four of us rushed from behind holding airsoft MP5's wearing balaclava, in total silence to avoid recognition, took him down, threw him into a pickup and blindfolded him while one of us was holding a glock to his head. Much fun was had by all!

Then we drove for 30 kilometers to a sauna and a feast holding a gun to his head in silence. He stopped shaking and probably figured out all's good when one of us raised a bottle of vodka to his lips after driving around for a bit... We also had a sign saying "BACHELOR PARTY LOL" we flashed to everyone (people who saw us from the car windows gave us weird glances) and informed the cops before we pulled this fun prank.

I imagine in some other country than Finland you could get shot and killed pulling out something like this though. The next day I had to take the weapons home, and rode a tram with a terrible hangover wearing camouflage cargo pants and shouldering various assault weapons, a few sticking out from a bag. Nobody came to the part of the tram where I sat (some actually walked in and turned around) except one woman who had just returned from living in Israel the other day and said "gently caress me, is it like this in Finland too now!"

I also somehow didn't get shot or even stopped by the cops or security. Those were times...

That sounds awesome and fun, it's a shame you would undoubtedly end up getting murdered by police if you tried this in America.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Goddamnit, I've got to lose half a kilo in 24 hours for a BJJ comp. They measure you right before you get on the mat, so I'm going to either be dehydrated or half starved when I roll. Derp.

Half a kilo is nothing. Take a dump before hand or something and you'll be fine.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
How do I deal with someone who is really loving good at catching jabs and immediately throwing a cross back? One of my instructors can do this at will and it pretty much completely eliminates my left hand.

I try faking it and he never takes the bait but as soon as I throw a jab I'm getting my hand swatted down ever so slightly and a cross in my face instantaneously.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Lead right hand if you're quick enough. Jab>slip>hook if you can slip well. Jab to the body. Double up your jab. You should be doing all these already except for the lead right hand. vary up your attack if you throw the same combination over and over of course he's going to negate your jab.

I've tried alot of this and it still doesn't work. I'm not throwing the same combos over and over but I know I tend to lead with my left alot. I think I just need to get better, especially my hand speed.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

If jab slip hook isn't working your hand speed has to be really lacking. Work on throwing fast combinations with less power behind them when you work the heavybag and padwork. Also bring your jab back as fast as possible. It's hard for me to imagine why jab slip hook isn't working for you.

What doesn't work is I still get hit when I try to slip and I think it's just because I'm really loving terrible at slipping punches. I don't know if it's because it's muay thai or what but I feel like we never work on slipping as much as we should. Occasionally we have boxers come in and make me feel like a child because they can just slip and roll everything I throw.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Extra few ounces of padding probably makes a difference, also I'm sure they're just way more accustomed to getting smashed in the face.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 29, 2011

Dirp
May 16, 2007

This is really cool. Page 242 is absolutely essential for any martial artist of today and I really feel like it's not stressed enough in just about any school you'll go to.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I've only trained Muay Thai for a year coming up next month and lately I've been getting some serious burn out. I have absolutely no desire to compete at all and I'm starting to notice just how much it's really starting to hinder me now that we have alot of guys training for a smoker next month.

We occasionally train some grappling (wrestling/bjj) from time to time and I've always liked it way more than Muay Thai. The only reason I actually started training with this club is because I thought it had more of an even split between grappling and striking but that really isn't the case at all.

Hopefully I can land a decent paying job for next semester and be able to afford a real BJJ school but if not I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do.

This kinda sucks.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

Here's a vid of me sparring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJRJ9xkP70

I have a couple others, but they're all pretty badly shot. This one is the best example of how I act in the ring. Also sorry for the poo poo quality.

I get rushed and clinched near the end

edit: I'm in grey

People already covered this but some things that immediately stood out to me were.

1.)You seriously need to keep your hands up. You're leaving your chin wide open on almost every combo and kick you throw.
2.) Set your kicks up with punches
3.) You're reaching so much with your cross that you're pulling your back foot off the floor. Makes it really slow, leaves you wide open, and has no power.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Grifter posted:

This thread has a fair amount of discussion on self-defense so I thought this might garner some interest. My local alt-weekly ran an article called one punched, about people who die (generally in fistfights) from one punch. What happens is that a fight starts, someone gets KO'd, they fall and it's the fall that scrambles their brains. Another lesson that fighting outside controlled environments is not a good idea!

Happened in my small hometown about three years ago. Some guy that was just watching a fight got sucker punched, fell and hit his head on the curb and died. The guy who threw the punch got involuntary manslaughter, charged with 3 years, and got out in a little over one. Alcohol and fighting is always a horrible horrible combination.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 29, 2011

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Is there anything to being drunk and getting OHKO'd and/or subsequently dying? Or does the alcohol not affect it? I know nothing about the science of it, but does the alcohol slow your brain so that its more susceptible to trauma? It seems that a lot of stories about it are outside of a pub or during a sports event or something where alcohol might be involved.

I doubt alcohol has any physiological affect on it. Drunk assholes are going to be swinging for the fences and going completely limp and smacking your head on concrete can really gently caress you up.

Also your coordination is going to be way off if you're drunk so getting rocked by a punch that doesn't knock you out is going to be more likely to send you sailing to the ground.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 29, 2011

Dirp
May 16, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FB8hPmsg28

That's what I usually think of as karate. I always forget that most of it's the Kata heavy point-fighting kind.

Why don't those men punch each other in the face when they're standing a foot away with their hands down. Better yet, why don't they just keep their hands up and not get knocked out by head kicks.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Can you talk more about this. I occasionally see a boxer with a really fast jab fighting against someone who intentionally leaves their hands down around their stomach. I always thought that he could fire off a jab before the opponent could get their hands up to their face. Is he baiting him into something?

I don't know alot about this since I never do it but I know you can throw really quick, hard-to-see jabs, and shoulder roll really well with a stance like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Ligur posted:

Nice one! I like doing (err trying) that as well, though I'm not very good at it. Hehehe, it's not really "allowed" I guess but these guys are not training for competition anyway, and in fact I've slapped down the forehand glove and followed with a cross dozens of times and the instructors have never told me not to do it.

It's also a pretty common technique in Defensé classes, you use your forepaw to slap down your opponents jab when you see it preparing or coming in, and go for a cross to the face over the now downed hand.

Fun as hell and makes people go "what is happen?!" most of the time.

There's an instructor at my gym that does this exact same thing to me all the time. I asked for advice on how to counter it and came to the conclusion that I just suck and need to get better.

• Locked thread