Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

neonburzt posted:

1) is it possible that my sparring partner thought those were light shots and he didn't think i was taking damage?

2) My instructor is really cool and he's a big reason why I come here to train. But today, I felt that he wasn't really doing his job. I understand he's only one person and there's a lot of pairs that he's got to keep an eye one. But he was watching me spar that dude in the last 1.5 mins while I was getting hit big time. And the advice to always keep my hands up? Like what the gently caress is that? I was taking hooks and kicks everywhere WHILE my hands was up. He was 3 weight classes above me. How would that help at all in this situation? I guess I wanted my instructor to 'save me'. Lol. The question here is should i switch gyms?

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm feeling pretty emotional right now. Angry, hurt, in pain, a bit dizzy, my neck feels funny due to it being snapped back after each punch. gently caress.

1) yes. I was punch-too-hard guy at my gym when I started out because I legitimately thought I was going really light and very few of the ~tuff guys~ ever said anything. Let him know.

2) you gotta look out for yourself. I've been around coaches that babysat but none have tapped for me or asked me to sit out a round or whatever. this isn't something to leave a gym over because unless your mom puts a ring up in the garage you're probably not going to find what you want elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

neonburzt posted:

I'm not gonna go to the gym for the rest of this week since I'm feeling really off. Like I need to get through this feeling of getting beaten up. Sparred many times and this is the first time I felt like this mentally.

The plan is to resume training on Monday while skipping all the sparring days for a month or so.

Thank you for the advice and I would love to hear your thoughts on anything else.

ok. my thoughts on the above is that it's a bad idea. don't let some (possibly unintentional) rear end in a top hat take time from your training. if there's an actual physical reason you can't go in, fine, but you can go in and spar light with someone else or shadowbox or at least watch a class after a nosebleed. you're letting yourself get intimidated and working on that is one of the reasons a lot of people start this sort of stuff to begin with. go punch

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Nierbo posted:

My boxing coach once said to the class, 'if someones hitting you too hard, hit them back hard. go to the same level as your partner'. Ugh what horrible advice.

we lived by this advice at my first gym and now I can't breathe out of both nostrils or hold a pencil for over 5 minutes so yea don't do this

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Keg posted:

I have owies on my fingers from spider guard.

i have been rolling with mummy hands ever since I got back on the mat

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i have won many matches with my powerful 'belly squeeze' technique

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

competition is for people who want to compete. you don't sound like one of those atm. no one is forcing you to do it. it is ok.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Mentally ill or not, it doesn't excuse being such a horrible prick and im glad to see someone do what he has been doing to other people.

I think it categorically does though? ?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

like if your stance is 'gently caress up all retards' it looks like you're on the chopping block pal

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Is there a mental illness that specifically results in someone actively wanting to bully innocent friendly people and hurt them, and brag about it, repeatedly, on purpose? He might be mentally ill but at some point the notion of right from wrong comes into it surely?

you've put me in a tough spot because responding to you in earnest would be the equivalent of what I'm trying to speak against here. well played.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

IMO the final word your friend should hear as you choke him into an endless sleep should be oss

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

what self defense classes are letting people swing wood/metal pegs at each other 100% lol

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ihop posted:

Looking for gi suggestions. I'd like a gi I can use for BJJ and local judo tournaments. I've previously only bought judo gis, Fuji, Mizuno and Adidas. The last few fujis have worn out really quickly, and the mizunos and adidas don't fit me very well, short sleeves and long skirts. I'd like to get a BJJ gi that most resembles a judo gi. Specifically, looking for heavy cotton, minimal external adornment, and decent fit for a "normal" sized torso. Any suggestions?

this sounds like fuji to me tbh

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Eat Bum Zen posted:

train with someone who might suddenly become rock hard while we sparred.

this would be a dream for me. I'd cockbar that turgid ween so quick

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

wait why is a karate man punching your eyes during bjj

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

you're the reason people chop air and screech like bruce lee whenever i mention jiujitsu

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

EricD posted:

May I ask why you think that is?

it doesn't look anything like my animes at all

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i am just glad something exists in this world that is more ridiculous and dumb and gay than my pajama wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Polls are open for a new thread title. Vote suggest over the weekend and Monday I will create a shiny new thread!

a new experimental thread featuring... dorks

• Locked thread