Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

Nierbo posted:

e: Oh and I kneed some dude in the balls and then grabbed them a few minutes later. Both by accident of course. Felt utterly horrible.

I've been on the receiving end of this before. As my mate said afterwards,
"Uchi mata, now with more uchi."

Speaking which, is that what you mean when you say a half o goshi? I don't know much Judo, so maybe I'm way off base.

Come to think of it, I get kneed in the balls too often. Need a cup of some type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Is "ata" this?
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/American_Taekwondo_Association

I must say, their belt system is splendid. Apparently they have tons of belts, and nice little metaphors about a seedling becoming a pine tree and then a rock.

quote:

Orange belt - "The sun is beginning to rise. As with the morning's dawn, only the beauty of the sunrise is seen rather than the immense power."[6]

Sweet, I want immense power.

And

quote:

Camouflage belt - "The sapling is hidden amongst the taller pines and must now fight its way upwards."[8]

I want a camouflage belt but I guess I do a lame martial art :(

Fake edit: Apparently every belt doubles, they have "recommended" and "decided", so you can get twice the tests and fees! Amazing.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

Gaz2k21 posted:

Most of my friends know I train and still don't get why as I'm not a particularly violent or aggressive, this obviously meant alot of joking around and drunk friends throwing light punches at me or trying to wrestle me I just take it with a grain of salt...

Next time that happens you should do a take down, go to mount and start licking said friend in the face. Use plenty of saliva. I guarantee it will never happen again.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
I love triangles too! Squeeee!

I often hit a triangle on someone who's trying to pass my guard, but I don't always execute them well enough, so sometimes I'll be incapable of finishing from there. I've been working on moving from a triangle to an armbar, and I've had some real success with this, since sometime the guy'll be so focused on defending the triangle he won't always expect the armbar.

Pity my armbars suck so much. :(

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
I was having the same problem, and still am to a certain extent.

I don't have any sure fire escapes for you, but I did notice that the most useful thing I've done so far was to practice surviving while side controlled or mounted. Protecting my neck, keeping my elbows in, etc, means that I'm not on a 3 second countdown to being submitted, which gives me more time to work escapes.

From mount I like the same escape as you. I sometimes alternate bridging with a hip bump escape, so that they lean back to avoid getting bridged over, and then you can sit up and grab their arm. Of course, how much this works depends on how good they are.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

willie_dee posted:

I went to my first proper BJJ class run by a Gracie affiliated person, what can I do about my skin getting torn to shred, specifically my knees and toes.

I don't want to go back and be bleeding everywhere within seconds.

I once met a man who rolled in something that was a bit like one of those clean room bunny suits. I have no idea what it was called, or how I'd find out, though. Apparently he had really sensitive skin, but really loved grappling. He must have, to wear that poo poo in the middle of a muggy Asian summer.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
People who want to move.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Having a BJJ black belt is obviously not the same as grappling at a black belt level. I'm sure Masahiko Kimura could hang with any black belt BJJ practitioner ever, but obviously he didn't have a BJJ black belt, because he was a judoka.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Can someone talk me through choosing a cup for protecting my goolies? I've had a couple of very unpleasant accidents, and I'd like to avoid another.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Pfft, all you fools with your camo. Clearly, leopard print is where it's at. :colbert:

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

Smegmatron posted:

I got mounted by a judo dude :(

I swept him afterwards but I still feel dirty for letting it happen in the first place.

Side control or full mount? I can easily see a good judoka starting in side control. Lots.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
There are big effort posts about it all over, but sparring is very very important. When you learn to play soccer you do lots of drills, but you also need to play games every once in a while, even if it's just quick 5 a sides. The sparring's what takes all the moves and drills and puts them together, and teaches you to put them together against a resisting opponent.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

jugulator45 posted:

My school is offering Judo as a gym elective and I'm considering taking it. While I know it is more of a grappling martial art, does it also involve much kicking or any other striking?

That's pretty cool, having judo at your school. Hell, I'm at a school in Japan and it isn't an option, they do kendo instead.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
That Peruvian necktie is awesome. I actually got shown it the other week, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
I think it's because boxers use much bigger gloves than MMA fighters. Also, they have less to concentrate on defending, since they aren't also trying to dodge or cover leg kicks and take downs.

I don't know about kickboxing gloves.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

Bohemian Nights posted:

Had the usual monday open mat/fighting session yesterday, and man, I feel busted up. It was my first standup with takedowns (and strikes) in almost six months. I'd forgotten how much fun performing european double leg takedowns are, and just how excruciatingly hard it is to fight in the clinch.

Speaking of swords and poo poo, has everyone seen this video of crazy russians trying to beat each other up in armor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDdTB1GzHJw

It might be geeky, but I would attend the gently caress out of an event like this. Just imagine the adrenaline rush you get being stuck in the middle of that melee!

That looks both super metal, and like a splendid way to incur medical expenses.

There was an Australian Viking re-enactor dude somewhere running an A/T thread, I wander what he'd think of that video.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
With regards to all the ball grabbing eye gouging:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZKZsqWdFw

One of the better responses that I've seen online, it's part of a very good interview series with Draculino.

Incidentally, is it just me or is that one of the most :metal: names in BJJ?

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
I haven't heard of a hijacking seminar that actually suggests you can fight your way out of a hijacking until now. They're usually things like 'make sure your driveway is well lit' and 'at traffic lights, leave space between you and the next car'.

To be honest, I'm very doubtful of the value of any martial arts as a counter to armed ambushes.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
I am not a lawyer or an American, but I suspect it's meant to apply to civil lawsuits. Those whacky Americans are always suing each other, so legal immunity in this case would mean you can't get sued if someone breaks something important.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Urgh, I am getting frustrated.

Before I lived in a place where I could do BJJ as much as I wanted, and it was 20 minutes walk from my house. Now I've moved city (and country) to Cape Town, and I can't find a judo or bjj place anywhere near my house. The one promising lead near my work was a BJJ gym. I went there and the owner told me 'Cool, you should totally come by. Oh by the way, our minimum contract is one year.'

I highly doubt I will be in this city in 4 months time, never mind a year, so that kills that option dead, even if I was willing to risk dodgy public transport at night to get home.

I can definitely train from next year, but I strongly suspect the interim will unravel my hard earned skills, and in any case it's going to be very frustrating not training for that long.

When I mentioned to my room mate that I did judo she said :j: "Oh hey, there's a kung fu place nearby, you should go and check it out!"

My initial thought was :ughh:, but at least it will keep me sort of fit for next year, even if my actual skills start going down the tubes.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Sorry, I should have explained. I'm not a foreigner, I'm a local. I went abroad and picked up bjj while I was away, but now I'm back I want to keep training.

TBH, it was at least partly the guy's attitude that put me off. I tried to negotiate with him a bit about the contract and he went "well I don't deal with the contracts, I've outsourced that whole thing to another company."

"Oh, well, do you at least have a copy of the contract I could take away and look at" - "No, we don't really have any of those here right now. Here's the contract for kids lessons. But you can't take it away, for [reasons that were not adequately explained]."

The other thing that got to me was that he was very vague about prices as well. I dunno, it struck me that the owner and head instructor should have a handle on how his contract system works, and he should be upfront when I ask about what prices are.

I will see about going for the one off free trial lesson, and see if I can talk to him again, but I'm not hopeful. Even if the instruction is good, it seems like a bad deal all round.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Went to a kung fu lesson. There was lots of standing on one leg, standing in stress positions (like a semi squat) and doing push ups. I'm still pretty sore, it's been quite a while since I did any exercise.

The exercise seemed to be more about muscles and bodyweight exercise than cardio. Sort of like standing up yoga, or something, but with less bending.

I've found a 'white collar boxing' gym closish to my work and the train station which I'll go and check out, although it's a lot further from my house than the kung fu place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
This is white collar boxing:
http://www.armouryboxing.com/

Basically they're like "waah, why do poor people have all the fun" and they've made a boxing gym that's oriented more towards soccer moms and marketing managers.

• Locked thread