Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

From the last thread:

Smegmatron posted:

It's surprisingly hard to find a video with A) Girls B) the person filming not screaming into the camera's mic C) decent technique being shown clearly from a good angle and D) decent picture quality.

You might want to look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijRBmQ994yo at the very least, it's one technique, done very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

I'd marry that girl. That was great

I don't know what her Husband/Black Belt Coach would think though. :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Smegmatron posted:

Any advice on escaping a mount or side control? I'm getting pretty decent at not ending up there in the first place, but once I'm there in pretty much hosed. I've been shown one mount escape that works for me (control an arm and leg on the same side and buck them off) but it's pretty easy to predict and avoid.

I've been shown how to try and hip escape out of side control if they aren't controlling my head and how to fix that if they are, but I guess I'm either not doing it right or they're seeing it coming and preventing it because I have never once managed to so either of these things during a roll.

You might want to have a look at this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?3F77YgmAoo0

Roy Harris, my instructor's instructor is an amazing dude and a badass. He's also very very technical to boot.

EDIT:

Some Roy Dean side escapes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?9S3nDygvk6A

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 20, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Smegmatron posted:

Full mount :(

He wasn't there long, but still.

If he didn't finish, then no harm done. Mount only sucks when people know what they are doing there. No embarrassment there. Alternatively, "You were practicing your mount escapes :colbert:"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Our gay sport.

If there was no eye contact, it can't possibly be gay.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Illegal in Judo because it's easy to break fingers doing that. But really if you're getting your fingers torn up just tape them up and let them heal. It is a temporary problem. Just like matburn on your feet your body adjusts pretty quick.

I've always wondered about this, because you're allowed to pistol grip in BJJ competitions. I was told that pistol gripping is not allowed in judo because of the immense control that you get by doing so.

You shouldn't reach inside the Gi sleeve to get a grip - that's where the busted fingers comes from, I thought.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

the yellow dart posted:

The old thread used to have a number of kung-fu, karate, etc. practitioners who posted relatively often. They were pretty good at understanding their art and why they did it (see: not deadly samurais) and Kyokushin is pretty well respected around here in any case. Now I think Guilty is probably the only one with any TMA background overall here.

I used to do Japanese Jiu-Jitsu while I was in Undergrad. 4 years later, I even got a brown belt in it.

It was...something, anyway. No sparring, two step kata kind of stuff. Lots of rules and respect.

It and the mindset it has is vastly different from BJJ. It's not nearly as cool as gay pajama hugging, let me tell you.

EDIT: It taught me how to breakfall amazingly well, I'll give it that. That's super useful in and of itself, so it has that going for it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Office Sheep posted:

So after 4 months of judo and 3 BJJ classes I'm considering entering BJJ Tournament. The instructor at BJJ says I should be fine at the beginner skill level. In anyone's experience is this a good or bad idea?

Any tips? It's too bad pins don't score cause I can pass guard fine and sweep fine. Whenever I go for submissions things go bad.

Be aggressive, and end up on top. You might want to fight off your back (as that's no doubt where you're most comfortable), but if you're on top, your winning the match.

Don't pull guard, except as a last resort. You want to get that initial takedown, and then from there work your top game to either a points win or a submission.

Keep it simple, if you're going no-gi, double underhooks and fold them over their heels for the takedown. If in gi, use some of that sweet judo stuff, just remember to not give your back to get the takedown. You may get your 2 pts for the throw, but if you get choked out :(

Lastly, it's a beginner's tournament, just go in there, roll a bit, learn what you like to do, what you need to improve on, and go from there. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Office Sheep posted:

I'm going to call BJJ "Knave Wrestling" from now on because of plate 207. The counter to this is apparently kneeing the opponent in the balls.

Don't forget plate 86 - the "Knave Hold" (or Knee on Belly).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

What are little BJJ girls made of?
Elbows and knees,
And moves that cause men unease
That's what little BJJ girls are made of.

Three words, "Mounted Armbar Drills"

EDIT: Echoing the above advice about wearing a mouthguard. I rock a shockdoctor, and I find it to be pretty great, it's a little more solid then the other boil and bites which is nice, as some people can't stand rubbery mouthguards (like me). I don't end up chewing on it either.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 19, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Question for the Judoka... the club I work out with had to take the summer off, and this has coincided with us losing pretty much everybody due to either retirement or guys graduating and leaving town. So myself and the head instructor are trying to brainstorm the best way to get the club going again this fall. We're putting together flyers to place in the dorms and wondering what best to put on them. Our target audience is basically former high school wrestlers and also people that are just looking to try something new now that they are in college.

So the question is, thinking back to when you started Judo, what kinds of things on a flyer would have caught your attention? A focus on the art of Judo, learning dicispline, getting in shape, etc...? A focus on the opportunities to compete at the local level all the way up to the Olympics? Something else entirely? What is the best way to catch people's attention?

We know there are a lot of wrestlers we could get with the competition angle, but we don't want to scare away everyone else.

When I was in the University (Japanese) Jiu-Jitsu Club, Simple flyers that outlined physical fitness, self-defense, and confidence as things that someone would gain from taking Jiu-Jitsu (or judo in this case). Also make sure that you mention that it's open to all shapes, sizes, and sexes.

Hopefully you guys have a "clubs night" or something similar where prospective frosh can see all the clubs that are available to them. Ask if you can put on a demo, that usually gets interest too.

As for numbers, it sounds like beggars can't be choosers at this point for you guys, just remember that martial arts are a really good test of character, and the bad people get weeded out pretty quickly. Failing that, brutal warmups do the trick :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

foobat posted:

Don't do a brutal warmup, you're trying to keep people. Normally at our uni club you get poo poo load of people at the start and people there is a large drop off after christmas and other holidays.

My uni club entirely revolves around the social aspect(i.e drinking). If people make friends in the club, they'll come back. If you even give them the tiniest excuse they will flake out. "It's too far away", "It's too difficult", "I could just go drinking tonight", "It's raining". They will flake out.

Some people may not like being pushed to start with but in their second year, they're probably more likely to want to work hard and be up for a challenge. So a gentle ramping up of difficulty is probably best.

Our uni also has a massive fayre at the beginning of the academic year where we try to get people to join, it's where all our intake basically comes from.

Just responding to this a few pages back, but yeah, I was kidding around - at the time I was in my uni club, we had a ton of members, and then we'd get a ton of new signups every september. We'd joke that we had to run brutal warmups just to make the numbers manageable.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

There was also a japanese guy who got eyegouged in a tournament, beat his opponent, went on to beat the hell out of a bunch of other people the same night, then at the end of that night found out he was blind forever in that eye. We were discussing him a few pages back, I think.

Yuki Nakai - the patron saint of Shooto.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mindtwist posted:

I somehow managed to get a gigantic black eye last night. That is some aggressive hugging

Black eye from BJJ you say?

I had that stupid thing for 3 weeks! All from trying a hip bump sweep on a FNG, who decided that a headbutt would be an effective counter (it is, by the way).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

Interesting times.

Working as a bouncer you could sort of expect a few fights but as an nurse intern? Not so much.
I had to grapple with a sixty-year old schizophrenic who decided to wash down his meds with hand sanitizer. I ended up taking double underhooks and pinning him into the nearest wall while screaming for the other nurses.

You'll realize that grappling has finally sunk in when you hug other people. It's double underhooks every hug, or an over/under at worst.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Your club lets white belts do ankle locks? I've only worked out with a few BJJ clubs, but none of them allowed anyone less than blue to do ankle or knee locks as a general rule.

Whitebelts are allowed to use ankle locks AND kneebars. We just go over what is and is not acceptable behavior at the club.

As for whitebelts, I take it super easy on them at first, just to see where they are at, and then slowly ramp up on them. They want to feel comfortable at first, so the chances of them spazzing out is less.

EDIT: I think that whitebelts realize that going for ankle locks and knee bars are generally a bad idea when you're rolling people better then you. Especially since there's not a lot of technique time spent on those things.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 2, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TheStampede posted:

Well I was holding out for a better quality version of it, but here's my fight. Feel free to give any advice, pointers, or mock my overuse of the jab. Oh, and you might want to turn the volume down. Someone's loud and obnoxious mother is sitting next to the camera man. No idea who's...

Personally, I think I need to work on my aggressiveness the most. I never feel like I'm about to put my opponents out, just making myself hard to hit and poking away. I need to work even harder on cardio too, 'casue I'm still getting too tired, too quick. I really wanted to feel him out early, then unload in the third, but drat its hard work throwing a dude around.:smug:

Still, I won, so that's good. I have a lot of work to do though. Bigger/more combos, more cardio, and maybe a head kick or two would have been nice.

E: Oh, I'm the guy in black and gold.

This is an awesome fight! I'm not a boxer/kickboxer by any stretch, so if this doesn't make any sense, please disregard.

You threw some 1-2's early in the first round that were pretty good, except for the fact that you dropped your left as you were throwing the straight (like around the 3:30 mark).

You had sweet push kicks.

And lastly, I have no idea how practical/possible this is, but he seemed to be able to initiate a clinch anytime he wanted to. Granted, you dumped him on his rear end most of the time that he did, but it might be something to watch out for against someone who has a good clinch.

Congrats on the win man, that was a great fight.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ridleys Revenge posted:

So moving from Judo and nogi submission grappling into BJJ has been a really interesting experience for me, but I'm getting pretty annoyed by the unwarranted elitism of BJJ players. They don't know how to attack Turtle because they tunnelvision so hard on attacking the neck that they get swept every time, so now they tell me to "leave that Judo stuff at home this is BJJ" whenever I turtle up instead of even trying. They lock in leg triangles but can't finish them and refuse to let go or switch to other subs, so I pick them up, and they tell me that's not legit because we're not allowed to slam anyone. IMO if you're 40lbs heavier than me and I can pick you up and hold you in the air while you try to muscle out a triangle finish you should be loving impressed, you crybaby. Just had to vent!

Slamming people is a dick move in BJJ. You know as well as I do, you can't do that in Judo either, as soon as you lift someone off the mat, they stop it.

I don't know if turtling is the best course of action in the long run though, unless you want to get Edwardo Telles level good at that position.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I don't know what this choke's called, but it has never failed me when attacking an opponent who's flat on his stomach:
1. Knee ride his lower back (CAREFULLY)
2. Get your hand deep in his lapel like you would for any choke (you might have to chickenwing his defending arm)
3. Grab his pantleg at the ankle with the non-lapel hand
4. Sit on your butt and stretch him out between your hands and knee

Sounds like a Bow and Arrow Choke.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Office Sheep posted:

For the last robbery around here that got into the news the weapon was bear spray. What martial art is best for protecting me against bear spray.

Edit: Bear spray is what pepper spray is called in Canada since pepper spray is illegal.

As I discovered recently, so is bear spray. Apparently you're good to go if you're using it against bears, but the moment that you use it against a human:

(From here: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mms-smm/expl-expl/cart-cart-eng.htm)

quote:

3.1 Products Not Authorized in Canada

Certain cartridges and accessories will not be authorized. For example, if a cartridge (or ammunition) is included in the Criminal Code regulations under SOR/98-462 “Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted,” the request will be addressed accordingly.
The following types of cartridges and accessories will not be authorized for commercial purposes:

cartridges that contain tear gas, mace or other gas, or any liquid, spray, powder or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person, when it is to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person by the discharge of the gas or liquid (note that if the proven intended use is against animals, the cartridge may be considered for authorization and will be subject to a product registration from Health Canada);

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

gunblade posted:

On that note, how do you boxing guys throw hooks? Because I'm wondering if I've learned them the wrong way.

Do you throw them with the knuckles horizontal or vertical? I've learnt to throw them with horizontal knuckles when I'm in close, and vertical when I want more range. However the other day, a boxing coach from another club advised me to throw with vertical knuckles when I was in close, and horizontal when I was outside the pocket, ie. the opposite of what I've been trying.

I tried what the coach told me, and all of a sudden I seem to hit a lot more and be a lot faster with my hooks! It might be a bit too early to say for sure, but it feels like I've had a small breakthrough with my hooks. The way I do it now just feels less awkward. Exploring something new and being successful with it feels really good, like I was able to fit another pieze into the boxing puzzle!

Anyway, do you guys think that I learned to throw hooks the wrong way at first, and only now learned it the right way? Or is the horizontal/vertical thing more of a personal preference thing?

From what I've been told, if you throw hooks vertical, it decreases the chances that you'll break your hand if you land the punch wrong, contrasted to the potential to land a hook with your small knuckles on a hook that is horizontal (and that leads to a broken hand).

That's about all I know on the subject.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Winkle-Daddy posted:

First off - thanks for the online retailer advice for gear :)

I'll be starting doing some fighting here soon. I've yet to meet the coach/trainer guy but I've seen some of his fights on youtube. The guy is on the local SWAT team (captain if I'm not mistaken!) and had a few questions about what I'm seeing.

Here are the two clips of his fights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVuqshj1bPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhXVVHv06kM

WARNING: TURN OFF YOUR AUDIO OR TURN IT REAL LOW. These are videos from people in the crowd with lots of screaming and such.

Basically, this isn't boxing (they're kicking too!) and it's not MMA style as they're not wearing grappling gloves, they're wearing boxing gloves...so...what search terms could I use on youtube to find some more things like this?

Also, how would I find out more about local fights like these if I wanted to go see some in person? What kind of training regiment would be suggested to begin preparing? My plan right now is to spend the next two months training and start throwing myself into the ring late December/early January.

Advice?

Good to hear that your passionate about fighting - that enthusiasm is going to help you in the long road to getting to a fight.

I would hold off on doing something that quickly, give yourself a few more months than from now until dec/jan before you step into the ring, even if it is amateur. Talk to your coach about it, if he's worth his salt, he'll tell you when you're ready to go.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

yay! We have video of Darrell LaFrance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N5xIuK6hdU

Don't forget his sick collar choke defence!
http://youtu.be/Ucg9K97VEkQ

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Blazebro420 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJh6LWxnyLs

Canada is cool as hell.

Lori's a friend of a friend, her blog talks about her efforts to hybridize her TMA and BJJ, which sounds cool.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fawker posted:

Ok, Im no BJJ superstar pro, but Im almost 100% sure that wouldnt work on a non-compliant partner. I can't see that working like ever.

Dude, you're crazy. Why would be on Youtube if it was a bad technique?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kumo Jr. posted:

I have to admit there's no way I can defend those videos. I've never met or trained with the guy, but, considering that he's a guy looked up to by some of the better grapplers that I've trained with, I really did expect something more impressive than that. This technique might be useful in a RWSD if your attacker didn't know what he was doing at all, but I agree it would never work against a resisting opponent in a competition.

Don't train to beat white belts, train to beat black belts, right?

What's RWSD?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

My schedule is crap compared to everyone elses.

Monday: BJJ 6:30-~8:20
Tuesday: Nothing (should be lifting)
Wednesday: BJJ: 6:30-~8:20
Thursday: D&D (should be lifting)
Friday: Sparring class at BJJ: 6:30-8:00
Saturday: Nothing.
Sunday: Nothing.

Seeing other people's schedules makes me sad.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mewse posted:

i'm like you cept it's boxing on tues/thurs. i'm looking to add a third day of something else like lifting or cardio but nothings stuck yet

WAMMA's schedule is pretty flexible. They run M/W/F at lunch I think, and Tu/Th evenings. You should see if you like hugging other sweaty men.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

I'm looking for sponsors to help with gym/equipment fees for my next fight. Does anyone have any experience with the process? We have a couple guys who do sponsor searching, but I have infinitely more connections to rich philanthropists.

I just don't know how to present it, how much I should ask for etc

The rule of thumb that I heard that for sponsorships was that if you took your entire purse for the fight, the sponsorships would kick in the same amount as your purse. ^:shobon:^

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Two weeks into Muay Thai classes, loving loving it despite my previous aversion to all things physical, but, ugh, today the instructor busted out the jump ropes and it turns out that I have totally forgotten how to jump rope. Like, I can jump the rope maybe three times in a row before I gently caress up and trip. I was not expecting 'jumping rope' and 'holding pads perfectly still' to be the most difficult parts of this class...

The best part of BJJ class is watching dudes who know how to render a man unconscious, destroy limbs, explode knees, etc. be unable to perform a cartwheel.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

the gently caress is a brony

Once you know, you cannot un-know. Are you sure you want to know what Man is Not Meant to Know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brony_%28My_Little_Pony%29#Internet_following

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I'm pretty sore today but to be honest I'm very proud of myself for not cranking any of the numerous heel hooks he refused to tap to and just flowing without getting ego about it.

You were heel hooking totally new people (even if they were complete assholes)?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ridleys Revenge posted:

He was an experienced wrestler and had a big upper body, so it seemed like a reasonable time to work my x guard and De La Riva stuff instead of trying to fight for arm bars that he was definitely strong enough to defend indefinitely. That meant GENTLY going through the "DLR>achilles lock>heel hook>knee bar>half boston crab" series from time to time as a means of getting him on his stomach so I could take his back. While those can dangerous subs, I don't really see a problem with getting into the heel hook (or whatever) position if I'm not actually applying pressure (cranking) and looking to submit, just using them as transitory control positions while I flow into something else. But I haven't been an instructor very long, so I'm open to other people's opinions on the matter. What do you think about it?

If you're going to get into positions that would encourage good, mechanically correct heel hook positions, I would suggest it's far too risky to put them there. If your partner is total spaz (or newbie, and doesn't know how to react) and freak out, they could blow their knee out.

Save the heel hooks for the advanced dudes, why bother even doing them on white belts with that much on the line?

At the end of the day, you either take your lumps, and then not roll with him until he calms down, or you can potentially blow a dudes knee out.

Can you tell I'm paranoid about heel hooks?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

As a first time weight cutter they are overwhelming, but after you've done it a few times it becomes a well understood science.

Pretty much this. I cut 4-5 pounds of water in a sauna from 2-3:30ish for a grappling tourney, weighed in at ~5:00PM, started re-hydrating right away and I felt like death until about 2:00PM the day of the tourney (after the Gi portion of the tournament). It was my first cut and boy did it ever suck.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kumo Jr. posted:

I had a discussion recently about which is better for attacking the back:

Two hooks in with the legs OR a seat-belt grip (head-and-arm control or over/under grip depending on your terminology).

I'm curious to hear some opinions on which is more important to go for first.

I think common opinion probably leans towards two hooks in, but I find that I prefer to attach myself to my opponent with my arms. There's a variety of chokes available (darce, triangles, head-and-arm, guillotine, etc) in any direction that your opponent rolls to from there, and I think it's easier to maintain control with the hands, more so than it is to stay attached with the hooks.

I think we can agree it's ideal to have both hooks and an over-under grip, but if you had to choose, which do you think is better?

Like X-guard said, the seat-belt is far more important than the hooks. Try it out in practice - have your partner in back control with just the seatbelt grip and no hooks, and then with just hooks and no seat belt. You'll figure out very quickly, that when you can glue your chest to his back, by way of the seatbelt, that his mobility is greatly decreased. All the hooks prevent the opponent from doing is turning into you, and that is somewhat accomplished by the seatbelt grip in the first place.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

origami posted:

do you bjj guys ever experience pain in your sternum/diaphragm area the day after rolling? if I sneeze it feels like my sternum spasms.

Does this go away eventually? I imagine it's just from being crushed in side-control (because I suck)

It does happen - one of the brown belts in my club did something to his sternum, he couldn't hold seatbelt grip from back control without any pain.

It does go away eventually.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Also I would like to note that going into a martial art with the intention of becoming batman / badass / a badass batman man is silly and a bad idea.

In this case it's not fatness that's gonna cause injury, it's the notion that you're there to learn to be a bad bad man. I've been training for 4 years and I am decent but I am not an asskicker. I am a nerd who likes competitive ground hugging with no illusions about that.

The funniest thing about doing martial arts is that the more you do them, the more you realize that human beings are pretty fragile fleshbags, which makes you less of a batman and more of a ghandi.

And that, is martial arts in a nutshell.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

As much as this is a joke, it's totally true (and worth reposting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5g8Fuar0U

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

I got a general question, and it might be dumb and I dunno if it applies more to grappling than other MA's, but do you guys THINK a lot when you fight/roll? Do you actively decide on a plan and follow it through, say, on the mat consciously decide to perform a specific sweep and follow up with a specific chain of submissions?

Because it has occurred to me that I never really think through my grappling, it's just something I do, and I think it might be hindering me. I've got this brain that I'm not really using for anything and it seems like kind of a waste.

Today I got caught in a really stupid triangle that I could have easily gotten out of if I had just gone for the right escape, which I know well, but since I was just doing my thing instead of actually thinking it through, I instead tried stacking a dude twice my size, and you can probably imagine the results considering I have the muscle mass of a chemo patient

VV Haha, if that actually goes through your mind, that's hilarious. I think my mind just goes into screen saver mode

I only think about things when there's a break in the action. Like if I'm trapped in a guillotine, I'm thinking about what to do to escape, etc. But if I'm on top, hunting for submissions, I might have a vague tactical goal (like get to north south, or mount), but I'm really "listening" for what the opponent is giving to me to take as a submission. In guard I have a few go-to setups, like the hip-bump to triangle, so there might be a touch more thinking about when I can set that up to take advantage of that particular combo.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

Annnd today we learnt the shrimp, closed guard and an armbar from closed guard. There is so so much to learn and not so much time to practise these on a partner outside the class. How do you guys handle so much knowledge coming in? I get after a while it becomes muscle memory but at the moment it is just :stare: and so difficult to remember while rolling.

I guess if nothing else this will teach me good time management.

Get a girlfriend (or a boyfriend). They will learn to dread the phrase "Come here a second, I want to try something (I saw on youtube)"

EDIT: Seriously though, start bringing a notebook, and after every class dump all the stuff that you learned into the book. Even if you never review the book, the sheer process of committing pen to page helps remember stuff.

TheKingslayer posted:

Tonight I had to roll with a very young teen girl tonight. As expected she was very timid with any kind of grappling with me (I'm 23). Does anyone have experience getting someone like that to loosen up and just roll? Or is it going to just have to happen on is own? I

I just kind of felt like she wasn't learning anything because she wasn't comfortable with me and I felt bad about it.

Ask them what they want to work on. Let them work on getting to that position/submission. I have a few smaller ladies who grapple, and basically I use the roll as a way to put myself in bad spots, work my sub defense, and just go with the flow - they want to hit that hip bump sweep? Sure, why not? Try to out position them, not out-explosive or out-strong them. Pull guard and let them work on their guard pass, let them explore what it's like to be in dominant positions as you work on your escapes. Be supportive and constructive, just like any other new person.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mermans Lament posted:

I like to just find some white belts who are smaller than me, and really tear into them and crank on some subs. That way only the mentally strong and determined will continue coming to my class (Urban darwinism)

Knee on belly all day, every day.

• Locked thread