Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I just discovered that theres actually a shoot wrestling gym near where I live.

http://www.grappling.ca/

They also have boxing, which I would LOVE to do and their hours are actually better for me. Apparently, they are the "National Headquarters" of Shoot Wrestling Canada. Has anyone here heard of Ron Beer before? My googling only shows stuff that related to this school.

I currently do BJJ, which I love and am happy with, but if this other gym isnt too expensive, ill probably end up going to both places.

Are techniques learned in shoot wrestling applicable to BJJ and vice-versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Yea... some of the items in that rules section is pretty sketchy. It looks like they're really into brick breaking and stuff so I guess if you want your kid to be an accomplished breaker of sticks and bricks instead of maybe a gay pyjama wearing man hugger thats cool.

Judo for kids is usually pretty cheap. Kids usually love that poo poo cause they mostly just do like break-falls and fun stuff like that at first..

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

kimbo305 posted:

I want to point out to MMA newbies that that is not how GSP usually strikes, and I have no idea why he downgraded his own game like that. He was windmilling before he got the eye injury.

I feel like it was a combination of having no fear of Jake's stand up and trying to *hopefully* KO him in his native land, in front of the biggest crowd he'll ever fight in front of.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been interested in martial arts for years but with my leg problem and overall lack of fitness I've avoided it. Since the fall of 2009 I've been doing basic weight training and then in 2010 I started running as well. There's a Krav Maga place nearby but I still suspect I'm not ready considering how intense their warmups are.

They offer an early morning heavy bag/kettle bell class and I was wondering if that might be a good way for me to try and get to a state where I can explore their self defense classes without embarrassing myself.

Just go. I used to think the same way for BJJ, and I pretty much delayed myself starting for a good year and a half. I wanna punch myself form 1 and a half years ago so badly.

$50 a month to train at wildcard boxing?! Why is it that it costs 1/2 of what I pay for BJJ to learn boxing from Freddie Roach...

fawker fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 5, 2011

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Ok, so earlier, I posted that I had found this little "shoot wrestling" gym. For whatever reason, even though I was reading shoot wrestling, all I was thinking was "catch wrestling" and Josh Barnett.

What is the difference between the two? Or are they basically the same thing?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Thoguh posted:

It's a way to demonstrate that you actually have decent form and are putting power behind your technique.

Or in my case, it's a way for the Judo guys to gently caress around and try to invent ridiuclous board breaks. Our best were things like Tomoe-Nage-ing and having the uke roll his head up into a forehead break or doing seoi-nage and having the uke break through a board with his slap.

Next time you do stuff like this, you NEED to record footage. Please...

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Jose posted:

Also, while I don't plan on picking a martial art up until I'm happy with where I am running, I'd like to start doing stretches now to improve my general flexability.

Don't do this, I told myself the same thing before starting BJJ and put it off for a year. Nothing gets you in better shape for _________ than doing _________ was what people here were basically telling me here. The first few weeks might suck a bit, but you'll find yourself adjusting really quickly. Just go!

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
RE: side control/mount

When Im mounted, what works for me against most white belts is the bridge+roll. If Im rolling with more experienced people, I just try to survive and bide my time and wait for a more opportune time to bridge+roll or something else.

Side control, just shrimping out the best I can... I hate being stuck in side control. I try to create space by putting my forearm against their face/neck/throat and pushing away.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Thoguh posted:

All you guys are making me feel like a little bitch for complaining in practice about having some tennis elbow from somebody trying to muscle an armbar.

Yea seriously, I have carpel tunnels and was thinking about pussying out of BJJ for a month to recover, but then I hear Adolfo's story and I need to train, to kinda make up for his lack of being able to do so :(

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Thoguh posted:

I made fun of the instructor when he put up a GB poster that claimed that the Gracies had invented the Gi. They took it down after that.

God drat, Gracie Barra just SCREAMS McDojo.

If people had told me about the warning signs of a McDojo, and I had no prior knowledge of the quality of teaching/students that come from Gracie Barra gyms, I would be avoiding that stuff like the plague.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
RIP Arturo Gatti :(

Did they end up figuring out if it was his girlfriend that actually killed him?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I sweat a lot when rolling/drilling and so I stay away from the girls sometimes because I am self-conscious about sweating all over them and scaring them away forever.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I was an out of shape fatty mc fat fat when I started and I was ok. I was pretty sore after classes the first few months. But thats to be expected as my body wasn't too used to using alot of the muscles that are used in BJJ (especially neck, and core muscles)

Like everyone else mentioned, no one is going to FORCE you to work until you puke, and if they did, you dont want to be at that gym.

I put off BJJ for at least a year and the half because I was "waiting until I was in shape" to get started. I want that 1.5 years back so bad because I love BJJ and I wish I had started earlier.

I would also like to mention that just going to classes really motivated me to improve on my fitness outside of class as well, because I wanted to roll longer and harder with my training buddies. Staying fat and unfit would allow me to roll for maybe 1 minute before being a big wheezy sweaty mess that would be easily swept/submitted.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

mindtwist posted:

Anyone else ever get that pressurized feeling in your ears/head after rolling for a while, like the feeling you get when in a plane as it changes altitudes? It's happened to me a few times and it's a little disconcerting, but it always goes away after maybe ~10 minutes. I don't know if its nothing or if maybe I'm overexerting myself or something.

Funny thing, Ive been getting the exact same feeling only recently, but in my left ear only... no clue why it happens, hope someone can help us out!

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Adolfo Castro posted:

Stay safe guys, my first day back at gym. Not allowed any jolting movements, weights or upper body exercises :banjo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6WE_Uanh4s

How does one start those yoga ball exercises? I saw a youtube of Galvao doing some ridiculous poo poo on it and he made it look so easy. So I tried and I just face planted.

Good to see youre getting back into the gym :)

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
So, yesterday I was rolling with a new guy and generally being a nice training partner and not going too hard.

I have him in side control and I've given him a little room so he can bring his right arm in and either push me off or to just to let him frame up on me. Instead, this jackass uses the room to bring his elbow down onto the inside of my thigh near my balls, really loving hard. It doesnt hurt so bad at first and Im just kinda pissed, this guy tried to escape sidecontrol by bashing my balls in and I don't roll with him the rest of the night.

The inside of my thigh hurts a little for the rest of the evening but it just feels like muscle soreness, no biggie.

This morning, it feels like theres a fork jabbed into where this guy elbowed me, I'm struggling getting down stairs, or walking around all thanks to this jerkoff. There isn't any bruise or anything where he struck me so I'm confused as to whats wrong with me.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Omglosser posted:

Grip strength and explosive exercises.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1on6UkhuM0
Google Rhadi Ferguson and he'll give you all kinds of free judo training tips.
This is unrelated, but pay close attention to his right hand at 2:15-2:17...

God drat...

When Im rolling with buds, I always lock in my kimuras/armbars slow because Im always super paranoid about snapping someone's arm like that. They always escape cause of that and I feel stupid.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

NovemberMike posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FB8hPmsg28

That's what I usually think of as karate. I always forget that most of it's the Kata heavy point-fighting kind.

SO many body shot knockdowns, I love it!

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

henkman posted:

Good news! Someone else made a highlight video. It's at 3:34 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7eqfRfWboE

Watch the whole thing though. Our kids own. Fun fact: The girl at 1:37 is 12. She was grappling against women in their early 20s. She won gold.

Love watching kids grapple :)
How old is that kid at :55 with the blue belt?!

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Nierbo posted:

Oh really? I thought maybe because it held so much water that it got too heavy as its a front loader machine.

V Oh cool, I feel a bit better now that I didn't cost him 500 bucks

Yea, no way it's your GI. I have a front loading washers and I regularly wash my and my brother's GI + other stuff with no problem at all

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

swmmrmanshen posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gt8vaF_0bE&feature=related

Sorry if this has been shared before, but this is some absolutely stunning randori between Kosei Inoue and who I believe is Shintaro Higashi, the best American -100kg judoka. By stunning, I mean Inoue clowns on this guy for 5 minutes.

that was awesome to watch, thanks for that.
I really like the black belt in the background with his gi wide open and belly oozing over his pants.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

HATE MONDAYS posted:

Here is another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBc71NdAJHA

devastating use of CMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWFIFgWk8k

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Drewjitsu posted:

Don't forget his sick collar choke defence!
http://youtu.be/Ucg9K97VEkQ

Ok, Im no BJJ superstar pro, but Im almost 100% sure that wouldnt work on a non-compliant partner. I can't see that working like ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Kumo Jr. posted:

Real world self defense. In other words... if someone tried to choke you like that in a bar fight, maybe it'd prevent the choke. If the guy trying to choke you had one proper class in how to apply that choke... I don't see it working.

In what world would an untrained person know how to catch you in a lapel choke from the bottom. Certainly not "The Real World".

• Locked thread