Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress me, as I go into my gym for the first time in 2 months to get that ranking sheet, I'm greeted by a sign saying:

GEAR SALE, WEDNESDAY: MAY 12TH, 3P.M.-7P.M.

As it turns out, my gym is going under and I can no longer mooch free time in exchange for strength/conditioning for the new kids. Worse still, I apparently own 300+ for months I didn't ever come in to train (and the logs prove it).

So, for the people with more experience than me, how can my gym always be packed to bursting, my coach charge 150+ a month, and we're still somehow hemorrhaging money so bad he's selling off gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've always had mixed feelings about blue belts.

Mostly because I've wrestled with them constantly at tournaments and drilled with them all the time at practice. It seems like the people who really care become blue belts, get their conditioning in place, and get really good before going purple.

The blue belts I wrestle with all seem really out of shape and lazy, but that's because they're normal people who don't care about being the best.

EDIT:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've got one of these, I rate them. They kind of float so it doesn't bother you most of the time, but it's there when it needs to be. Only piece of advice is to weird underwear underneath the compression shorts, to keep your junk in order beneath it.

Yeah this is the one pair of cup shorts I bought that doesn't smash your balls

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 30, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Syphilis Fish posted:

Definitely this.

Athleticism or being a good wrestler often wins white belt tournaments by the heap. Are those people automatically knowledgable enough to be a blue belt in brazillian jiujitsu? That has not been tested. Lots of good wrestlers loving suck at jiujitsu. They win white belt tournaments but then cant get their head out of their rear end to actually learn jiujitsu or good technique.

You can't give yourself rank in BJJ. You can give yourself rank in whatever martial art you make up though. And you can tell (and prove) to other people that the blue belt in say, imtheism jiujiutsu, is equal to a brazilian jiujitsu blue belt.

Only a person 'In' Brazilian Jiujitsu can give you a rank in Brazilian jiujitsu.

Otherwise I'd give myself a (Kyokushin) karate black belt right here because I feel my striking is at that level :)

Yeah the bolded part is basically me. Where that sticks in my case is when the blue belts at my gym aren't a good enough example of what you can become when you line up conditioning and practice. I shouldn't be able to submit them the majority of the time just by being more athletic if they're really deserving of their rank, right?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone here know a good place (like exrx for weight lifting) with technique descriptions and video for Kickboxing/jui-jitsu?

I want to work more clinch and throws into my kickboxing game but my school doesn't teach it and I have a hard time finding information online...

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

If you're looking for clinch and throw stuff, check out https://www.judoinfo.com

Yeah, a lot like this. I'm trying to emphasize more from a kickboxing perspective, but this is definitely what I need. Thanks!

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dirp posted:

That sounds awesome and fun, it's a shame you would undoubtedly end up getting murdered by police if you tried this in America.

Me and some of my buddies were 3/4 of the way to completing something like this when someone who saw a black SUV full of guys in multicam and masks driving towards the school.

The cops pulled our car over, told us to gently caress off home, and we happily did.

worst last day of school ever

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

Given that they just said 'go home, dumbasses', sounds to me more like the best last day of school ever.

We got off because the church group that arranges airsoft meets is pretty well known in town and right across from the Highschool. We (luckily) convinced one of them to vouch for us.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 11, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My inability to do anything but solid basics is becoming more and more obvious when i spar with the advanced guys at my gym.

Hands are pretty solid and I always end with a kick, knee, or clinch attempt to keep guys on their toes. What I can't do is the following:

Catch Kicks
Catch Hands
Follow Motherfuckers On the Mat- It's like my punches are always 1 inch away from landing. Trying my best to move more as a result.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 15, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone know why kickboxers/boxers can take so many more heavy shots than your standard MMA fighter? Why are there so many more zombie fights in non-mma combat sports?

EDIT: i ask because I'm trying to transition from an MMA to a strict Muay Thai mindset. Learning more about staying in the pocket with my hands up, etc and when i watch other fighters their beatdown threshold is incredible.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 29, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

Because MMA striking is bad.

Also boxers that stay in the pocket tend to have good head movement or counter big shots with their own. I don't know what you mean by zombie fights as that would to me in my head be a crap mma match.

When I say zombiefight I mean both fighters are taking a loving shitton of damage and still somehow firing back in small bursts. I've seen that a lot with boxing/kickboxing.

Sometimes two strikers just amble on up to each other, cover up less than a foot away, and throw bombs for five minutes.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

Oh well I say stuff like that comes when you've got two equally skilled guys. There's just times you have to take one to give two(optimistically). Besides you don't want to be backing up the whole fight or resetting the range after every single exchange. Moving around the ring like Floyd Mayweather isn't something many people can do. Or if they can they can't keep it up for 12 rounds sometimes your legs go and there's nothing you can do but stand and fire back. Also if you have a good defense like say Winky Wright you can just tire out your opponent by letting him punch himself out. No need to move with a strategy like that. In mma you don't see that because there's always the threat of the takedown.

That's really the attitude I'm trying to wrap my mind around. A lot of my problems stem from getting tagged by big guys and shutting down offensively. I can move for 3 rounds without feeling gassed, but one good stroke to the jaw completely shuts down combinations and counters to the point where I'm just throwing enough of a jab to keep my opponent away.

kimbo posted:

I think you're also overestimating how much damage is being done. Seasoned strikers can very subtly roll with punches even if they land and can brace against some of them. It's one reason why you see way more leg kicks in a kickboxing match but not as much limping as if even half as many were to land in an mma bout -- some really nuanced work to reduce how much damage is really absorbed.

Oh, I understand that.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got to attend a small 2.5hr clinch seminar with Saul Mitchell.

Dude was pretty cool and knew his poo poo really well.

EDIT: And he's a loving clinch beast.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

swmmrmanshen posted:

http://judo.teamusa.org/live

Miami World Cup, I think an A level tournament.

It seems like Judo is a lot of stop.start kind of exercise. How much do the judo practitioners in the thread train their cardio capacity?

EDIT: And what stops talented college wrestlers from just shooting in all the time?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

swmmrmanshen posted:

Judo is so hard, I cannot explain it in words. It requires explosiveness and endurance. The current ruleset, which is no popular, bans shooting directly for the legs, because high level judo was turning into freestyle wrestling with a gi on. It's a silly rule, but it doesn't change the fact that judo is still difficult and challenging.

Please don't start the "Judo is stupid because of rules" argument.

The emphasis in sportjudo judo is on throws. They want victories through throwing.

Edit: This commentary is awful

I don't know anything about Judo but I am a wrestlerdude so I probably don't belong in a Judo discussion.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how blue my belt is.

what's with jui jitsu dudes and never shaving. it's like - of all the people - why do you want to grow an awesome goatee?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Eh, I wouldn't be so mad about this. Cross-faces are fair game.

However, putting your knee where my skull and my jaw connect and pressing down is not cool. That poo poo hurts immensely.

One of the only subs I can pull from guard is to switch from a half triangle (with my leg already over their shoulder and calf on the back of their neck) to a deadskin mask, which is just me grabbing my foot and using the leverage to dig my elbow into the bone there.

It never chokes guys unconscious but it hurts like a bitch. Not for training rolls, though.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

Guys, we can all stop going to the gym. Dana White has us covered.

UFC Personal Trainer for XBOX 360

What, your gym doesn't let you flip tiers in the cage? loving McDojos lemme tell ya

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ligur posted:

Dickhead!

Anyway the idea is that with a sport like gay french kickboxing, 10% of the muscles you use are located in the legs, 5% are in the hands and shoulders, what matters is your core and all the small deep muscles people never really utilize to any extent.

By kettlebelling all day long, I will become the kick machine I've never managed to be before!

whatever you do - don't become kettlebell guy. That one guy who hates on all over forms of exercise besides pushups and kettlebells

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nemoulette posted:

Add chin ups to that regiment and you're pretty much covered :cool:

kippers?

Hellblazer187 posted:

But the other guy said getting a bouncer job is easy with MA experience! Out of curiosity I searched for bouncer in my area on indeed.com and found nothing. I wonder where one goes to get these jobs? I'm employed but I'm curious because I often feel like my grip on employment is tenuous.

Speaking of grips, I just purchased "Grips" by Neil Adams on hatashita sports online. I hope it helps me. A really light guy was frustrating me something serious with a left handed high collar grip. I simply have no idea what to do against it other than learn seoi nage lefty.

Have you seen the adds for those fat gripz forearm builders? They're pretty goddamn cool and do a lot to work your grip through conventional weight training.

Helped me because I was already too pressed for time to throw dead hangs/farmers walks into my normal routine.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The top guy has to make a mistake...like throwing punches from guard? That's, like, exactly what the bottom guy wants you to do to let him go for an armbar. Plus, if you "never made a mistake" you wouldn't be in guard in the first place. Fights don't always go exactly as you would like, because you've got a resisting opponent trying to exert his will on you. And don't pull the "I train" card, virtually everyone in this thread trains.

Literally all I do from guard is throw punches to pass. Body-body-head-stand or simple knee pass is how I get through guard in the majority of my MMA sparring.

And takedowns into guard are fine because I don't like scrambles and most other takedowns I work with end in some kind of scramble because I suck at controlling people in midair.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys! I'm 7 weeks out from an amateur kickboxing match (maybe shootboxing if I'm lucky) against a kid who's 0-1. Fight takes place September 10th and I can't fuckin wait.

Question: I'm working with a dedicated private boxing coach to make my hands suck less, and they're telling me to improve foot movement by bouncing around more, staying more mobile and avoiding the typical thai boxing shuffle my gym teaches because it's way too slow.

Is this a good idea to follow? I really enjoy being a more mobile target, staying elusive and cutting angles faster just by virtue of being almost constantly in motion. Guys from my gym have been giving me poo poo about it and telling me how they'll just sweep my ankle with a kick when I'm in the air, but my hangtime is like an eighth of a second and every who's tried I've always been way out of the way beforehand.

Any advice boxing/thai boxing goons?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You need to be able to quickly put weight on your back foot to be able to check leg kicks, which explains the difference in stances and movement. So if you're not worried about leg kicks, you can be lighter on your feet.

I personally like the new style because I can alternate between stuffing leg kicks and circling out from them as opposed to checking and potentially hurting myself with weak shins.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's amateur, won't you be wearing shin pads?

In any case, if something works for you then go for it, but there's a reason that when you compare pro boxing and pro kickboxing, the footwork is very different.

Yeah, but my shins are still pretty terrible - it's definitely one of the things I'm putting a lot of work into before the fight. I really want to avoid taking a shin to the knee or something because my check wasn't high enough. On the other hand, it'll definitely stay open as an option in case he's able to back me up or cut a funky angle.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Someone who's really good can read you when you settle for a kick and teep you away or just defend your kick. So you'll have to make sure to open up with your hands and mix the kicks in mid-combo.

That's been the worst hangup when I spar. I can take the half-step in and strike, but there's a slight pause in my canter right before that half-step occurs. I'll need to drill that more -- it's a lot like when guys will be moving their hands out of striking distance but freeze up right before they start a combination.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I found that doing a lot of really light sparring where you just stand close with your partner and trade (at like 10-25% power) took a lot of hesitation and hitches out of my striking. It forces you to throw and throw and not have a "build up", so to speak, before you go for a strike or combination.

My Muay Thai coach talks a lot about this: his basic advice is to open up more instead of thinking during the round. I generally only get tagged when my mind wanders to what kind of attack I want to launch. It should be opening- BAM - six punches and a leg kick.

EDIT: He also tells me to explore my chi more and represent myself through the art. Basically to be more loose and have more fun with it without going by the books or I'll burn out and get bored really quickly sparring 5 times a week.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 18, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Another study for you, Voigt and Klausen '89 improved the punching speed of Karateka. How? They found two different methods, firstly just punching drills focused on speed, shocking. Second speed drills combined with heavy resistance work. So there is scientific proof that you can increase punching speed and in part using a technique, lifting weights, that many (not all) traditional boxing coaches will claim makes you slow.

I've read a lot about simultaneous muscle activation; the more muscles you can work at the exact same time during a strike the stronger/faster said strike will be.

EDIT: And this includes a lot of different elements that are all really commonly taught: feet, leg, quad, hips, torso, etc movement.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 19, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm trying to work in more cardio as I edge closer to September, are there any good fight-specific drills you guys do in the pool? Swimming works, too. But I suck at swimming.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

haha all but 2 were on the mat. So, he only actually sexual assaulted someone twice if you don't count the "legitimate" wrestling incidents.

Also it was before practice, so what the hell was he doing? Warming up with some rear end play?

As a high school wrestler I can safely assure you that this is normal and warming up the glutes is crazy important to having hip mobility.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
puked for the first time after a sparring session last night, for some reason it felt really nice - like I'd broken some kind of mental barrier.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any striking goons mind critiquing a couple videos of me sparring over the next week or so?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

beadgc posted:

I rolled with some guys from my BJJ club last evening and I blacked out from a Von Flue choke. I was out for about 10 seconds and felt fine afterwards, except for a bit of drowsiness. That's nothing to worry about, right?

The wierd thing is I didn't even feel the choke coming on that strong, I just remember struggling to get one of my arms free and then all of a sudden it felt like I was dreaming a bunch of random stuff, like having to back to work the following day and my mom. Shortly thereafter I was feeling confused about having fallen asleep while laying on the mat since I wasn't even that tired from rolling :I

wait, the von flue choke is a real thing? Really?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I should probably stop going for guillotines from literally everywhere, which I tend to do. Especially from inside my opponent's half-guard.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here's a vid of me sparring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJRJ9xkP70

I have a couple others, but they're all pretty badly shot. This one is the best example of how I act in the ring. Also sorry for the poo poo quality.

I get rushed and clinched near the end

edit: I'm in grey

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 28, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
People need to post more of their ridiculous cardio workouts.

Also I'm planning to not cut at all for my 160lb match. It's amateur/short so it's no real problem, but I'd rather be more cut and light when I step into the ring anyway.

For actual competitors, is this a bad idea?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Illegal Username posted:

How much do you weigh walking around? Kinda depends on that.

I walk around at 165lb +/- a pound or so for water weight.

And I recently got more into hill running circuits for cardio. Found an old water-skiing rope and handle, mixed it with a harness and found some training buddies willing to look stupid in front of a farmer's market.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If people who can't judge range on their kicks don't trim their toenails, your shins will look like Jackson Pollock's easel.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

There is also a very awkward knee bar that can sneak up on you. It's usually more of an accident of positioning than an intentional submission.

Doesn't it require a cup? I've never been able to get it without a cup

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why does nobody have any takedown defense?

so many double-leg shots.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LvK posted:

So... What happens when someone sidesteps?

I think it's a joke, but the guy in the video seems pretty sure of himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm officially on the posted fightcard for September. I don't have a picture up, but it's pretty fuckin sweet seeing your name on the list.

...at the very bottom, still made me feel awesome

• Locked thread