Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Frogmanv2 posted:

I have heard a rumor that boxers have some of the best punches around, because thats all they do. Is that true?

myth, i've never seen a boxer pull off as many superman punches as gsp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pooned posted:

Yes, that is what usually happens when a group of people focus on something for generations. Boxer has the best punches, wrestlers the best takedowns, Grapplers the best submissions etc.

tkd doesn't have the best kicks because it's fake fighting and not included in the op (petition to delete aikido and savate for unseemly pants)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

Notable good mma boxer Georges St. Pierre.

Most people don't know poo poo about boxing.

it's interesting that you didn't debate the effectiveness of superman punches in boxing matches

freddy roach is a genius

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

Also look again Sucka TKD is in the OP as an asterisk under practical/competitive styles.

that's some shameful poo poo

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

I don't think superman punches are effective in boxing because a boxer will know you're not going to kick them so there's no fake out.

sounds like an excuse

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dirp posted:

Oh I know you'd pretty much never be getting direct lessons from Roach himself, maybe a few seminars a year if that. But yeah like you said, you're still going to be getting his instruction trickled down almost directly through some top notch instructors for 50 bucks a month.

more importantly, you're going to be practicing with top of the line equipment.

my primary instructor was a training partner of andy hug and world champion in one of those kickboxing orgs. brilliant technical dude and our group is only 6-8 guys on average, so perfect. the gym owner however is this stingy motherfucker that won't buy new thai pads until half of them have fallen apart and then he only gets the cheapest poo poo possible, with the velcro coming off after 2 weeks on some. his solution? we're kicking too hard. now one of the bags has fallen from the ceiling and is just laying there (for a month).

Paul Pot fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 6, 2011

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
hells angels tell the best stories and the gym is the safest environment to listen to one

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grJYYGjr7Gw

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jose posted:

I assume most martial arts are the same for this but what would people recommend for a fitness point of view. Basically the best cardio work out

kickboxing/muaythai will probably burn the most calories

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ligur posted:

The mystery of mysteries about martial arts is that people who spend their free time practicing one, from wrestling to boxing to Aikido are usually by far less violent or prone to having fits of physical rage as opposed to those who do not. This is anecdotal in the sense it is my experience only but I have to say most people I know - and who train something - almost singularly agree.

half of my training partners get into fights regularly

i don't know any other people with a soft spot for random brawls

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

niethan posted:

Does MT really have headbutts?! :staredog:

no, i believe burmese boxing does which certainly makes sense in my worldview where the burmese are se-asia's comic book villains

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Adolfo Castro posted:

So the good doctor just banned me from Muay Thai, BJJ and Wrestling forever.

drat, hope it corrects itself over time

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Adolfo Castro posted:

Those are actually really good, I just use it as an all purpose compression band, be it elbow, ankle, shin or knee.

Hate to say it, but how is he wrong? Slow repetition of strikes with a weight will make your striking faster, striking without gloves will toughen up your knuckles and knife hands are like any other strike, have to be practiced on a resistant surface in order to get your hands used to absorbing the strike.

Gloves are for the protection of your hands and wrists.
hands are a little more complex and vulnerable than the shinbone. kyokushit produces more arthritis patients than power punchers.

striking with dumbells will work your muscle endurance, wouldn't just regular training in 16oz gloves work toward punching speed anyway?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
kid, you've turned into a winning fiend, right? i've got a few questions, but no pms...you cool with giving me gear advice here or in the w&w thread?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

Here's fine. Kimbo is also knowledgeable on their headgears too.

i believe top ten makes the best headgear for kickboxing/mt, so i'm not in the market for that.

anyway, i'm thinking about getting 10oz winning gloves for sparring. good/bad idea? keep in mind i'm only 170lbs and almost everyone in our gym uses 12 or 14oz gloves for regular sparring (full speed jab, every thing else around 70%). i guess what i wanna know is whether they're significantly gentler for the face/brain of your sparring partner or just nicer for your own hands/wrists compared to other gloves?

what do you think about using competition size gloves in sparring in general? i feel like i get too used to the size of 14oz gloves, which leads to unnecessary shots getting through my guard in competition. i would still practice with heavier gloves on the bag.

last question, how do lace up gloves work in practice? at least around here, i've never seen anyone with a pair. i always thought they were impossible to take on/off quickly (needed for padwork), but i read you can have them tied moderately tight and slip in and out. apparently they still offer better wrist support than velcro this way...i read this on sherdog, so i definitely want a 2nd opinion.

thanks man

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

If you want to use competition size gloves in sparring Winning is not your brand as they run larger than any other brand. They will definitely protect your hands as I used to have lots of problems with my hands before I got my Winnings. It's a novel idea to use smaller gloves for sparring to get you used to the lesser defense but it's better to work on your head movement and footwork to get you away from your opponents strikes.

Also the top ten headgear if kimbo linked the right one looks like TKD headgear. Which means to me good for getting kicked in the head but not punched in the face.

trust me guys, top ten uses some special weird material that's extremely shock absorbent even if it looks cheap&homo. really sleek footprint, doesn't move, great absorption, covers all areas. i think they've been used in the last 3 boxing olympics because they're so protective. i got the avantgarde model and it's leaps better than everlast/thai stuff. winnings don't protect the entire head, so that wouldn't be an option for me. i'm sure they're the best headgear for pure boxing, tho.

you haven't answered the lace-up question, I REALLY NEED TO KNOW :>

cleto reyes safetec would be a (perhaps smaller) alternative to winning, but they're only available as lace-ups.

i'm obviously working on head movement and footwork as well, i just believe using smaller gloves would make me more aware of small openings i'm leaving (never been knocked down or dazed from a strike to the head, so my defense is pretty good already). 10oz sparring gloves wouldn't be an option for heavier guys, but even in fights, i knock opponents down with accurate shots, and not because i punch particularly powerful at 6'2 170lbs ;/. in muay thai (even in the dutch style i'm practicing) it's desirable to block punches in more situations than in boxing, but i can understand where you're coming from.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ok thanks kid, i think i'll stick with what i've got then

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jerome Louis posted:

get that stretchable shock cable they sell at sports stores that do mountain climbing and stuff and lace your gloves with that. it's way easier getting in and out of the gloves that way.

i woulda replied sooner, but some admin had to keep the forums most troll free and all...that's so shrewd i had to read it twice. thanks a lot man :D

melon cat posted:

Muay Thai guys- any recommended hand-wrapping methods? The one I use doesn't seem to hold up very well.

someone posted this thai ribbon wrapping method where they folded layers of wrapping over the knuckles, but i found the result to be very underwhelming.

i wrap mine like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP5e8QyP0E&feature=related

general thoughts on wraps: 1. get 180" elastic (mexican style) wraps, stay away from the ultra-expensive brands, they're no different; 2. you won't get good knuckle protection solely through hand wraps, so you might as well invest in gloves that are known for their knuckle protection; 3. open&close your hand while wrapping to make them tight, but not tight enough to cut off blood circulation.

CaptainScraps posted:

shin pain

see a doc, the swelling doesn't sound good.

i used to feel excruciating pain when i started out because i would turn my lowkicks in too much. the 2 times they were properly checked i hit someone's upper shinbone with the muscle right next to my shin...took about a month until the pain went away fully, but that period helped a lot in practicing good form and timing. i didn't have any swelling, so that's probably not the same injury you're experiencing, just throwing it out there.

there's this college kickboxing group i go to from time to time and this one guy's shin swole up after i checked the weakest lowkick of all time...i asked if he's ok and he said that's normal, so i guess different bodies react differently ;/

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ya that's how mine felt...maybe all you need to do is wait it out :)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
plus it means you're down with da best

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I was always taught that kicking someone in the balls isn't that great a move because when someone's adrenaline is pumping, it's relatively easy to shrug off. This is backed up by personal experience. Plus you're risking that the guy will catch your leg.

i doubt cheick kongo's victims suffer from a lack of adrenaline

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
explain your personal experience

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
it's frustrating to see a heavyweight move that much faster than you and you're 175lbs :(

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
how about we just agree not to talk about judo at all because it doesn't work

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
krav maga is terrible, all it does is turn you into a paranoid deluded prick without the fun of settling in the west bank

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the armspeed discussion was kinda interesting apart from goons catchin feelings

i think there are less '21st century scientific training methods' in boxing and muay thai because technique plays such a large factor and the 'old school methods' actually work quite well (even if there might be room for improvement). one reservation about lifting weights is that the improvement in athletic ability might not be worth it if it forces you to move up a weight class.

proper roadwork (with sidestepping, etc) toughens up your legs and mimics the type of movement you need in the ring. jumping rope makes you light on your feet. kicking the poo poo out of a heavy bag conditions your shins and helps with balance, technique and perhaps even explosiveness.

i guess boxing gyms might operate differently, but we regularly do circuit training with plyometric stuff like explosive pushups, squatjumps with a bulgarian bag, quickly jerking a barbell no homo and so forth

i don't see why there would be some genetic plateau difference between learning footspeed vs armspeed. your vert and 40-yard-dash is only gonna get so good before your improvements are measured in millimeters and 1/100s of a second aka meaningless in a boxing context. i think the only difference is that every twink will acquire enough muscles through regular training to max out his handspeed, while gazelle legged guys like me need to put an effort into heavy squatting to get the most out of the exercises that build footspeed.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ignant poo poo

lol

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
well you always look much better than you are when fighting people significantly worse than yourself, so i wouldn't get too carried away.

he does cover up very nicely for a beginner

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
now those facebook videos are fuckin impressive dude

i started out training with guys of that caliber as well and even after 3 months i was still tensing up to the point where i'd only have stamina for 90 seconds and wouldn't throw a 3 punch combo the entire time because i was too worried about protecting myself.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mindtwist posted:

Got a shock doctor mouthguard, the top and bottom kind, no boil required, and it is gonna work out really well. a littla bit of saliva build up, but its managable and i feel a lot more comfortable knowing i'll be able to keep these lovely yellow teeth safe, lol

a terrible decision

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fontoyn posted:

Here's a vid of me sparring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJRJ9xkP70

I have a couple others, but they're all pretty badly shot. This one is the best example of how I act in the ring. Also sorry for the poo poo quality.

I get rushed and clinched near the end

edit: I'm in grey

what he said; front leg kicks look good; rear leg kicks appear to be thrown in a gingerly manner by both of you; too much reaching with punches

get a different headgear if your face gets messed up like that during practice anyway lmfao

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
my guess is olympic lifts and stuff like kettlebells/bulgarian bag would make a lot of sense for judo as a sport. i'm still unsure about the actual legitimacy of judo as a sport, so you might have to disregard this advice.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
my 500$ hand-dyed japanese denim isn't compatible with your training methods, but i don't feel comfortable in other jeans at this stage of my life...suggestions?

boxing guys, i've been thinking about joining to your tribe and only keeping up with muay thai occasionally. which shoes would you recommend? low, mid, high..what's the difference in performance? 100$ limit

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
well they do want clean footwear at that place, otherwise i'd just use my old chucks

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

melon cat posted:

I need a new rashguard/training shirt for muay thai. Is Underarmor the way to go, or is there a better brand?

i don't see the point of wearing a rashguard for muay thai/boxing. i don't like the tight feel they have and prefer running shirts, but to each their own. if you're going to use the rashguard for grappling, you might want to consider sport-specific brands as under armour will likely rip easier.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
andy hug had to learn a lot of boxing in order to avoid getting knocked out by lovely kickboxers. giving yourself arthritis through kyokushin "traditional" methods really doesn't pay off.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i don't see why...you don't block headkicks, you lean back

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
many boxers use low guards...doesn't mean they don't know how to block a punch

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nierbo posted:

Can you talk more about this. I occasionally see a boxer with a really fast jab fighting against someone who intentionally leaves their hands down around their stomach. I always thought that he could fire off a jab before the opponent could get their hands up to their face. Is he baiting him into something?

Anecdote coming up:
I did boxing a while ago and one time someone dropped their hands down to their stomach intentionally and left them there. I threw a cross as hard as I could thinking that he was taking a break and he countered by punching me in the chest which wasn't pleasant but wasn't exactly lethal either. Surely there must be some sort of end game to keeping the hands low other than some lame chest punch.

well, the idea is to bait your opponent to throw a punch at your head under the assumption that you're quick and skilled enough to counter it. it's much harder to avoid body shots, so keeping your hands down there discourages your opponent from trying them and your own punches become harder to spot. body shots with bare knuckles are really painful, so i can see why kyokushin guys could believe keeping their hands low has a higher payoff than being able to quickly block headkicks. in kickboxing/muaythai this obviously doesn't work. a boxing stance will get you lowkicked to death and a more square stance makes it much harder to counter shots, so you'll end up getting punched in the face a lot.

i don't know what to say about your chestpunching evidence apart from that there are other counter options out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah but a low guard is, as you said, usually combined with a stance that can make good use of it. These KK guys usually square off and basically just play chicken with their ribs. At that range, you can't hope to lean out of every head kick.

yeah, those idiots basically don't have any guard at all. i blame this on kyokushin being a very dumb martial art instead of something being wrong with the general idea of keeping a lower guard during bare knuckle fights. other karate styles have at least made great strides in improving competitive tag, kyokushin probably didn't even set a new standard in asian animal cruelty.

• Locked thread