Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I have a friend (not really a friend, but someone I know) who is convinced that Aikido is the be all and end all in a fight. I have tried showing him MMA/UFC and what not but he has all this bull poo poo about why it doesn't count. Is there a right up any where on how rubbish Aikido really is in the physical combat sense? I know bullshido used to have these great Your Martial Art sucks videos but I can't find an Aikido one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I went to my first proper BJJ class run by a Gracie affiliated person, what can I do about my skin getting torn to shred, specifically my knees and toes.

I don't want to go back and be bleeding everywhere within seconds.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
So, I got in my second physical altercation in public, this time with someone who I was confident I could kick their rear end despite them being a tad bigger than me, for they were fairly drunk and I was stone sober.

In short drunk guy had his back to me talking to a different group of people I was with at a small Jaz festival (not my choice to attend it), my girlfriend phoned me whilst I was talking to this other group with my back to him.

He turned round and got in my face about calling the Police on him, I tried to calm him down and even showed him my phones screen to show it wasn't the Police but a girls name. He then got in the face of another girl I was with saying how I was an rear end in a top hat so I pushed him back and told him to gently caress off. He came forward again, I pushed him back again, he then through a massive looping right hand punch at me that I easily ducked under, thought about going for the double leg and planting him but instead just shoved him whilst he was so massively off balance from throwing such a telegraphed punch and being drunk.

He went flying, a good 3 or 4 meters, crashed into some people and fell into a table and then got up again, I didn't move forward and instead just held at my hand and shouted aggressively "stay the gently caress back, get back, get back" (I have no idea why I shouted this and didn't say something better), at one point he looked like he was going to come forward again so I did a small boxing shuffle and got my hands ready again (mostly to try and calm myself down and try and think), and I think he changed his mind from this and walked away. A few people congratulated me, my heart was racing for a good 15 minutes afterwards and I felt horrible, embarrassed and kind of sick. The girls I was with said it was the best moment of the night and thought it was more funny than anything and claimed that at no point did they think I was in any danger. Their confidence in me was nice, but it did nothing to change the fact that inside my head I shat bricks.

I am confused by my actions for a number of reasons.

1) I didn't throw and punches or in any way chase up to hurt him or take him out for good with some ground and pound, which may have been more sensible considering he got back up and thought about coming at me again, putting me in more danger. I am fairly confident I could easily have followed the shove up with something and knocked him out, but I had no instinct to do so what so ever, I just wanted him to be far away and leave me alone, with as little physical altercation as possible. In hindsight it worked but it may have not been the most sensible thing, I had literally 0 killer instinct.

2) I have no idea where what I was shouting came from or why I was shouting it.

3) My hands were shaking afterwards and it felt like my whole body was as well, I wish I could stay calmer physically and mentally during things like that.

4) If my shove hadn't of worked of he had somehow grabbed me I have no idea what I would of done, I literally wasn't thinking. I like to think my dirty boxing would of come out, but at that close range I don't think I have the power or accuracy to knock someone out, in which case I hope I would of gone for a clinch ala

but I have no idea what I would actually have done had something different happened, I was not thinking and it was all happening so fast.

How do I get better at dealing with these kinds of things?

Sorry if I'm rambling but it was really odd and my friends are of no real use and I'm not training at the moment so I can't talk to anyone about it really.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

Actually it was a good thing that you instinctively deescalated the situation by not punching him but instead creating distance and giving him opportunity to step down.

Yea, but a bit of me is worried that if he had come at me again, would I have still not wanted to have punched him. I don't feel I was making concious decisions at all, it all just sort of happened, and then afterwards I'm thinking, why did I do that like that, why did I shout like that etc etc?

Yes it worked out for the best, but he just of easily could of decided to have another go, this time with a better punch or something, and looking back it would of been so easy to attack while he was on his back.

Also it may have taught him more of a lesson and been far more satisfying and decisive for me, as is he got off pretty drat lightly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Thanks guys, you made me feel better about it

Paul Pot posted:

nigga u soft

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This made me laugh and was followed up with some genuine advice, so I think "useless post" is a bit harsh which ever mod did this? It got a chuckle out of me anyways so if the probation was in any way on my account, can you show some leniency?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Adolfo Castro posted:

Closed or long distance, don't throw closed hand punches to the top of the head. Open palm, elbow or hammer fists. Knees are good too. As my street boxing instructor said, after your first two punches, the adrenaline in a street scenario means you can't find soft targets reliably, so passed the first two strikes, open the hands.

What is an open palm strike? Sounds a bit overly complicated. I have a feeling if I ever have to start throwing ill be concentrating on ducking, weaving and keeping my hands up defence too much to think about the specifics of my punching their face.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Just had my cousin call me practically in tears.

She had her first fight scheduled for tomorrow, she has worked so hard for it, training, putting her architect work a tiny bit to the side so she could train hard, got down to 60kg for the weigh in day today, so did her opponent. She goes out for a meal with her team and gym, an hour later her head coach gets a phone call. The card is off, 4 fighters from one gym have all pulled out meaning half the fights are off.

What the gently caress. What kind of cuntish mother loving bull poo poo is that. less than 24 hours before the sold out event starts. Is this some kind of sick practical joke one gym pull on all the others and the promotion or something? Is there anything that can be done so that anyone who trains at that gym has a black mark and promoters are aware of that bull poo poo.

I am so loving pissed and she is crushed.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

That does seem like a good idea and might be good practice for me just in case James Thompson get robbed ever again.

I just can't believe a gym would do that to other people. How can they even look at themselves in the mirror.

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 8, 2011

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

You're a 60 kilo twink, aren't you? Wear a wig and fight her.

Haha, close! I could probably cut down to her 60kg weight even! But that's not the problem, out of 10 fights, almost half have been cancelled, her opponent weighed in and was ready, its because so many other fights are now off, the whole cards been cancelled and everyone is going to be refunded for their tickets. So because of this one gyms actions, not only do their individual opponents get screwed, 12 other fighters have had their fights cancelled.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
So what is the best way to train punching power? (sorry for such a basic question)

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Also what's to say the attacker wasn't going to get up and pull some more stuff? Just because he is disarmed and has technically lost the initial confrontation he could get up and have another go, beating him up a lot while he is a weak position would seem like the smart thing in hindsight rather than wanting to end the confrontation and not be guilty of a one man version mob justice if the attacker recovers quickly or quicker than you thought he would, so better to do more than less to a guy surely?

At least, that was how I felt when the dude who through a punch at me got floored and I (stupidly looking back on it) let him get back up again and consider almost coming at me again, instead of taking full mount and beating him until he was unconscious or seriously hurt and unable to do so.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Thoguh posted:

You misspelled 'run away as fast as you can't.

I always assume that people are talking about taking on people with weapons when running away isn't an option, I should not assume this because people are dumb as hell.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

mewse posted:

i have real world knife defense training, please pay attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ah_0gia4A0

How so?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Was just wondering where you get that kind of realistic training that basically involves you being told "you are hosed"

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Cross post from the B league thread.

Semi pro fight, 2 x 4 minute rounds,

First round is clearly fighter A's round, 10-9.
Second round solidly fighter B's, but not as convincingly as round 1, 19-19.

What should happen next?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Cross post from PSP

http://youtu.be/ZZnTTugYMmQ

What are peoples thoughts on this fight? The fighter who won the first round claims she was robbed of the second, I gave it to the other fighter and called it a 19/19 after round 2, so did all the other judges, ring side Dr and members of the audience.

It then went to a 3rd round which the winner of the first round didn't know about (hence the push ups at the end of the second) which result was pretty clear cut. So I am more concerned with peoples opinions on the first 2 rounds.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Nierbo posted:

19/19 is more than fair really considering the grappler did no damage to speak of even though she spent a lot of time controlling top position.

Yea, I can't see the first being a 10-8, I think the contention is more, who won the second? Baring in mind the scoring is done on a round by round basis, so you have to take each individual round by itself. I gave the first to one and the second to the other, and so did everyone else.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
It is my experience that GB clubs are very much like that, its a business model.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Chemtrail Clem posted:

There isnt any indication that the other guy has trained any kind of martial arts and he still whooped your rear end. He was just swinging like a retard and he still would have knocked you out in 5 seconds if it werent for you flopping around to take advantage of the no ground strikes rule. If youve been training for more than 2 or 3 months you need to seriously rethink how youre training and start practicing with actual fighting in mind or youre wasting your time

This is a very harsh shaded way of looking at things

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

Ugh I don't even know what to post without coming over as super defensive. Obviously me falling on my rear end like that is lovely. Let's hope I do better next time.

How long have you been training and where? It was your first mma fight, for some people with the nerves and what not everything goes out the window which is understandable. That and you were playing up to the rules... which got you the win.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

Also Re: killer instinct or whatever: I didn't really have that "kill that fucker" feeling during this fight (and obviously not in sparring), so I guess I don't want to be a loving fighter.

You got in the ring, you want to be a fighter more than almost anyone else who posts.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Antinumeric posted:

http://www.londonshootfighters.com/
MMA gym with lots of MAs, a lot like my old gym but closer to home (actually affiliated with my old gym)

James Thompson used to train out of there, and still does occasionally, but they cant get in the heavy weights he needs, its certainly a legit gym, the most well known in London and I imagine its wrestling is decent for a British gym (in that it has some)

If your looking for a really good group to do MMA with, New Wave (http://www.new-wave-academy.com/) is well recommended. It's run by an ex UFC guy and they have a lot of success on the local circuits.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
You remind me of a young James Thompson Fontoyn, that is very high praise indeed if you didn't know.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Nierbo posted:

I'd wager every dollar I own on the 60 year instructor that teaches our class sometimes against any bouncer. He's a 7th dan judo black belt and clearly not what we're referring to in this discussion but drat, its cool to see someone of his age so incredibly attuned to grappling.

How many dollars do you have? I am friends with a bouncer from the UK, you might of heard of him, I mention him occasionally. Bare in mind, that in the UK, bouncers are not allowed to hurt customers and have to be licensed by the government, so he gets called a wimp a lot and can barely do anything about it when he works, so in that way he is completely untested.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.zerotoheroboxing.com/

I am seriously tempted.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
http://colossalconcerns.com/2012/10/05/theres-no-place-like-home-or-the-gym-if-its-the-right-one/

Please pass this on to any fighters you may know, its important advice learnt the hard was from James Thompson.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
How do I best condition my arms for boxing, my shoulders and upper arms give out way way to fast compared to the rest of my body lactic acid wise when I'm hitting the heavy bag or sparring, like, almost instantly if I have warmed up and hit pads before hand.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Thanks guys

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone here go to a Gracie Barra school? Can you talk about your experience? I'm especially interested in their fundamentals curriculum.

It's very sport orientated BJJ and no longer the self defence art that it was invented to be, the local MMA gyms around here wreck the Gracie guys outside of sports Gi Jitsu.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Anyone got a prefrence for boxing gloves out of the list on here?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/boxing/boxing-gloves

And what size would I need for gentle sparring and heavy bag work?

I got these because they were advertised as heavy bag gloves and even with wraps, they rip my knuckles to shreds

http://fighterxfashion.com/everlast-evergel-wristwrap-heavy-bag-gloves/

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Dolemite posted:

First thing - From what I've heard, Everlast used to be a solid brand. But now, their equipment is trash. Falls apart in no time. And as you've experienced, quality isn't the best.

---

To answer your question:

For sparring, you want at least 14oz. gloves. But, you really should buy 16oz. gloves.

For bag work, 12oz. gloves are fine.

Edit: If you're insistent on ordering from the site above, I would suggest the Title brand gloves. We have several of those at the gym as "community" gloves. I used those often before buying my own pairs and the Title ones felt fine.

Thanks

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

On another note, how much steroid usage there are in your gyms? I've very recently realized that my judo club is rampant with with that poo poo and our sambo club kinda has the same problem. I've been complaining in this thread that we have unimaginable giants in my gym and people really haven't believed me, but I guess this would explain it.

Feels pretty lovely to teach judo to six-year old kids with a very succesful athlete who is pumped with every possible drug known to man. Sports are fun and healthy, kids!

Steroids are rampant in all sports, even as amateur level.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Lamadrid posted:

No joke I picked some subs and poo poo from youtube.Stephan Kesting or something like that has a bunch of basic videos for the class jiu jitsu challenged.Also eddie Bravo and that poo poo with the Gracies.

I learnt some of the real basics from youtube, I don't think its that daft an idea.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Where's that fencing thread?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm in the latest UFC Embedded video. In the background. Not doing anything remotely impressive. Sweet.

Link?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Which bit are you in I meant?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Dysgenesis posted:

I expect with a few more generations the BJJ belt system will become similar to every other martial art.

Not if people keep competing, which Ninja schools don't do, because their arts are too deadly. Competition keeps people honest.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Stepped up my training a bit with some local pros, first training session, sprained my thumb...

I really am not cut out for any kind of physical activity despite willing and loving to spa.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I don't know where to put this but I figure the experts will see it here

https://vimeo.com/130765059

Is that a heel hook in the middle of a loving rugby game or a bizzare accident? It looks like he's intentionally trying to snap his ankle there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Is there any truth to conditioning your stomach and abs to punches, like doing leg raises whilst being slapped on your abs with a glove?

• Locked thread