Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
It has been a while since I used re-breakable boards, but I'll try...

Re-breakable boards tend to come in 2 different flavours: ones with a "groove" that you have to slide, and ones with "teeth" that fit into each other. The ones with teeth feel like a more reliable/long lasting option. Your best bet is to find a martial arts store that has some and go have a look (the website I linked is just the first thing that came up).

They can be a bit weird compared to actual timber boards (mainly because they can only break down the middle), but the thin ones are likely to break basically just by looking at them (much like 5mm boards do normally). I imagine punching them is fine, but I don't think I've ever tried (maybe don't punch them if you aren't relatively certain it'll break). My experience is a lot more kicking than punching.

Are splinters really an issue? I don't think I can remember anyone getting one, and I've seen lots of timber broken. Expense I can understand; we would glue boards back together and use them a few times if they were just going to be for practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I feel like Karate schools just aren't as obvious as TKD schools (at least here), but don't really know why. I suspect TKD gained a lot from being an Olympic sport for a while (especially because of that random girl who won Gold at Sydney 2000, we were lapping up anyone who won medals at home). Karate schools certainly exist - I competed against a bunch of Karate guys in this all-styles comp (Form/Point Sparring) I went in last year (I was doing Kung Fu). It may also be that I notice TKD schools because I did TKD for ages and notice BJJ/Judo/etc. schools because this thread loves them (and I've been looking for a place to perhaps try one out when I get the chance) but never notice Karate because no one talks about it.

For what its worth, I did TKD right through highschool and have no regrets about that - I had fun, kept fit, went in a few competitions, got the chance to teach what I had learned to others, etc.. I'd probably take it up again if my style had a club within easy public transport. I did Kung Fu for about a year more recently and also enjoyed that - it was a lot more varied than TKD (many more techniques taught faster and not nearly as straightforward) and had an excellent instructor. To me there isn't really any appeal in a full-contact striking art (though, as above, slowly this thread is convincing me that it'd be worth trying some grappling), I'm more into learning the techniques, doing form/point sparring/board breaking/etc., staying somewhat fit, meeting people, that type of thing. Not everyone does martial arts to be Good At Fighting (I have the utmost respect however for people that do [provided they reciprocate], and as little patience as anyone regarding eg. lethal ninjas).

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Nierbo posted:

That sounds sweet as. Can you detail your success or failure there? What sort of Kung Fu by the way?
I was competing in ~ blue belt level, and for the most part the Karate guys seemed pretty similar to what I would have expected from TKD blue belts (but weighted more towards punches than kicks in sparring, perhaps slightly "stiffer" while doing form). The point sparring was very strictly non-contact (even moreo than you would expect in TKD - I got a contact warning for something very soft), but the clash of styles made that somewhat understandable (and I think they were more lenient on this at Black Belt level). I personally had a terrible day since I was distracted by some life drama (I was knocked out of sparring early and did decently but didn't win form). The type of Kung Fu I was doing was described as Shaolin Long-Fist.

I've read the whole thread and never watched UFC, if that counts.

• Locked thread