Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Had my first judo competition on Saturday. Two losses, one win. The win wasn't very good. I'm in the 100kg+ category. My opponent was 101kg. I was 135kg. I just bullied him into a pin. I think my first loss was the better match and a better performance on my end even though I got nailed with an uchimata.

When starting out in judo, I found that the most important thing was to just get fights in under my belt. Worrying about the quality of my performance was counterproductive.

Keep on fighting! One win is much better than no wins, and I'm sure you have a laundry list of things you want to work on when you get back on the mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

God forbid someone wears so much as a blue gi inside the kodokan...(I'm pretty sure that's a rule)

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

it is.

Personally, I always wear black gis to rebel against my teenage years of always having to wear white, which is an ugly color on me. No true believer judoka, or karateka have challenged me to a duel yet, but I have hopes.

We could always dramatically stage a duel, post it on youtube, and enjoy the comment shitfest that ensues :smug:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Today, I learned a valuable lesson in Judo. Make sure the guy who takes your registration does not put you in the open weight when you only weigh 210.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

If it's a smaller tournament that'll happen a lot. Though the tournament direction should have okay'd it with you before he combined the weight classes.

Besides, fighting the big guys is fun. I'm up to 250 at the moment because I'm a lazy fatass who doesn't train as much as I'd like, but when I was 215 or so I won just as many or more tournaments at +100kg than I did at -100kg.

Oh no, there was a 100kg division. They just messed it up. I ended up doing pretty well though, and it was fun fighting guys who were 70 lbs heavier than I am

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.amazon.com/Kodokan-Judo-Essential-Founder-Jigoro/dp/4770017995/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307774695&sr=8-1

A pretty solid book

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I got involved in Judo through my University. Pittsburgh just happens to have a 9th Dan former Korean Open champ teaching on tuesday nights, and his 6th Dan son who won multiple US national titles.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yeah, his 9th Dan is from the Korean Judo Federation, not the Kodokan. His son's 6th Dan is from the USJI in think, or whatever other one does rankings.

And EVERYONE knows that Judo is the safest Olympic sport! Psh, I don't wanna hear about your injuries that clearly don't exist.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So tonight our club had the honor of having a Mongolian Representative from the World Championships team at our club tonight. Straight dominating people. I didn't randori with him, but went back to back, and he pinned me real easy. Really cool stuff.

I'm 210, and he was 150ish, and it wasn't even close.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Well poo poo, looks like my Judo club taking the summer off might be turning into taking forever off, and the closest alternate club is 100 miles away.

Guess I might finally be getting around to getting that BJJ blue belt.

That's a real bummer man. Why is this? Not enough members? Dumb money things? Instructor moving?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The most annoying randori parter in my club is a guy who simply refuses to let you get a sleeve grip. He doesnt take on either, but pretty much just stalls and drops.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://judostrengthconditioning.blogspot.com/2011/01/cutting-weight-and-losing-out.html

Something my club coach wrote about weight cutting. Just some food for thought.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

worst randori partner ever last night. green belt smaller than me.

refused to grip. consistently tried to drop seoinage me. without a grip. he would just start turning and dropping, hoping to catch my sleeve on the way down. I wasn't even fighting super hard, he was just a lame partner.

Oh, he also started trying to double leg me after falling down. Almost injured me when he dove straight into my knee. Sigh. Otherwise an alright practice.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Smegmatron posted:

It was a girl :smith:

I see your tapout, and raise you an accidental busted lip. Also, what do you goons think of rolling/randori with girls in general? My general principle is that they are there to be martial artists and athletes, so they don't want to be "treated like a girl" (Whatever the hell that means anymore) and treated as a peer. At the same time, if they are smaller than me, I'll treat it like working with any smaller judoka, focus on technique, move light, don't force anything.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://judo.teamusa.org/live

Miami World Cup, I think an A level tournament.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Fontoyn posted:

It seems like Judo is a lot of stop.start kind of exercise. How much do the judo practitioners in the thread train their cardio capacity?

EDIT: And what stops talented college wrestlers from just shooting in all the time?

Judo is so hard, I cannot explain it in words. It requires explosiveness and endurance. The current ruleset, which is no popular, bans shooting directly for the legs, because high level judo was turning into freestyle wrestling with a gi on. It's a silly rule, but it doesn't change the fact that judo is still difficult and challenging.

Please don't start the "Judo is stupid because of rules" argument.

The emphasis in sportjudo judo is on throws. They want victories through throwing.

Edit: This commentary is awful

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 2, 2011

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Right vs. Lefty is so hard for the righty. Worth learning.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

If I show up to, say, a beginner's BJJ class, will they turn me away/expect more of me than my body can give?

You will probably never be turned away. If they push you super hard beyond any reasonable limit, then that is probably not the school for you.

And as is mentioned previously in the thread, just get out and get started. Doing BJJ will get you in shape.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

Instructor has one of those fancy white and red belt and seems to know his stuff quite a bit.

Yeah, those 6th Dans may know a few tricks.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Winkle-Daddy posted:

"What's better then a groin kick? Two groin kicks!"

Requesting thread name change to this please.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

After a month off, I'm finally getting back on the mat for some Judo practice! Words do no express how excited I am.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://lifehacker.com/5825528/basic-self+defense-moves-anyone-can-do-and-everyone-should-know

Lifehacker article about basic self defense. I thought the part at the end about sexual assault was the most enlightening, in the least creepy was possible.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

Does anyone know of a decent boxing gym in West/Southwest London?

Everywhere seems to be in the east and/or north, and with my current employment situation that's not really practical.

Likewise for the same reasons BJJ and places like London Shootfighters are probably out of the equation, bah!

I don't know if its what you're looking for, but the Budokwai is in west London, and is a pretty famous Judo club, and I believe Roger Gracie does some work there as well.

http://www.budokwai.co.uk/

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

For our club at Pitt, I know the best thing was just word of mouth. People got their friends to try it out, and they all like it very much. This also may not be your ideal group either, but a group of Japanese majors at Pitt started and fell in love with it, so you might want to advertise to them, as well as the other Asian language majors. Also, what school are you at?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

http://www.mararts.org/osensei.htm

Phil Porter is dead. Who will become the new king of Bullshido?

I don't get it. It seems he was an accomplished Judoka who actively fostered competition, as well as being into many other random MAs.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Mention maybe that books and DVDs are alright as supplements to class, not as replacements? At least that is how I feel about it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gt8vaF_0bE&feature=related

Sorry if this has been shared before, but this is some absolutely stunning randori between Kosei Inoue and who I believe is Shintaro Higashi, the best American -100kg judoka. By stunning, I mean Inoue clowns on this guy for 5 minutes.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Does anyone actually know how big Inoue is/was? I know he fought -100, but but fought in the Open as well, and generally looks like a huge guy, significantly bigger than the hes fighting in that video.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I feel like forward throws aren't that popular simply because there aren't many people who are adept enough at them to do it safely/consistently. Karo used to do a lot of uchimata and seoinage in his UFC fights. I see a good number of hip tosses and such though. See Frank Mir and Roy Nelson.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey goons, are there any representative in this thread from the Drexel, Penn State or Villanova Judo clubs? I'm in the University of Pittsburgh club and were interested in setting up some duel meets with other Pennsylvania schools. Please PM if you are interested or can put me in touch with someone. Thanks!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yea I've emailed those guys, I was fishing for an offchance that some goons might be involved in their clubs. Well Drexel has already responded, so things are already looking up for intercollegiate Judo!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Your club lets white belts do ankle locks? I've only worked out with a few BJJ clubs, but none of them allowed anyone less than blue to do ankle or knee locks as a general rule.

That reminds me of the time our Judo club first started last year, and this one white belt who clearly watched a ton of MMA tried to lock in a kneebar on someone else during our first live ne-waza like it was mundials or a championship fight based on the look on his face. Thankfully he had no idea what he was doing and just ended up hugging the guys leg really hard, but I still ran over ASAP to stop him. He never came back.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

ok so I can't train judo for two weeks so I'm working on conditionning mostly and watching youtube videos/thinking of combos/etc.

I was wondering if anyone doing judo though sasae tsuri komi ashi (or hiza guruma) into harai goshi could work? Does anyone do this combo and if so any tips to make it work? I'm sort of "shadow throwing" in my kitchen and living room while I'm not doing much (watching TV, waiting for stuff to cook) and working the motions without an oponent make it seem like it should work, but I'm really not sure.

Here's my 2 cents on the matter

I'm assuming you are talking about a righty vs righty situation, where yes, it does work because if the sasae makes your opponent step, then his foot placement makes him more vulnerable to forward throws. However an aggressive pull that sasae uses can also encourage your opponent to sink his weight back making the kuzushi (off balancing) for a forward throw like harai goshi more difficult to achieve.

So in other words, yeah it works, but Judo isn't about combinations on paper or flowcharts, but more about feeling out how your opponent reacts to you.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Well I was thinking right handed for both, i.e. I move to his right for the osoto and then put my foot on his left knee as I turn my body. and I end up facing where he was orignially facing.
I don't think it could be RH osoto > LH hiza guruma. In my mind the throw requires my left foot to be planted the whole time.

You have to convince him to step back with his right leg. The initial step into your osotogari MUST be convincing. It is helpful to create some lateral movement in your opponent using your hands and feet, but when you step in for osoto it must be somewhat deep, and it must scare him enough to step back with his right leg. When he steps his weight will be on his left leg, which is there the kuzushi for hiza guruma or sasae is located. This is for right osoto, left hiza/sasae

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Office Sheep posted:

I'm in a long run of just not being able to get the technique being taught in class that day. Specificly, my inside sweeps, uchi mata and seoi are awful. I just can't seem to put all the footwork and kazuchi together. I think it's those triangle and stutter steps. I miss when we were working on Georgian grip stuff.

Judo is really, really, really drat hard. I believe that executing a perfect throw is mechanically much more complicated than most any other techniques in MA. It requires coordinated efforts from every part of the body, and techniques are filled with subtleties that are unique to different judoka.

Ok, I'm ready to be horribly flamed.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Also remember to practice something that you enjoy. There is no point if you're not having fun. Don't feel pressure that if you are really enjoying a TMA of some sort, whether its Chinese wushu, TKD, or Karate that you MUST be in a UFC-tested combat based MA. If you really enjoy what you are doing keep on doing it. Just watch out for whatever claims you're going to make.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

If you wanna see a hilariously awesome Judo attitude, check Kosei Inoue's attitude.

Interviewer: So whats your game plan during a shiai?

Inoue: Well, I want to throw my opponent for ippon

Interviewer: How do you go about that?

Inoue: well, I grab him, and then I throw him.

EZPZ

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

niethan posted:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I hope they all died.

I would say Michelle Bachmann's more terrible quotes are stupider, but those do seem like fairly masochistic training practices.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I just joined the Fitocracy group. I'm training for the NCJA collegiate nationals in March, with a bunch of fitness goals for that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Where are they at this year?

San Jose :smug:
I'm pretty excited, I'm hoping to improve on my 5th place finish from last year. My goal is to make top 2 and make the Senior roster, but just improving, winning one more fight, would be awesome. I fought -100 last year, and I felt like the smallest dude in the bracket, so I'm working with my coach on getting up to a proper weight and strength for 100s.

• Locked thread