Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I have a question about general martial arts teaching attitude. Why is does there seem to be an attitude that you need to demonstrate that you are much better than people who are just starting / below you. I saw a few quotes earlier in the thread about "breaking" people who are new (with context of holds iirc). Why is there this approach? It was very off-putting to me- I know as a beginner that you are probably much better than me, you don't need to constantly beat me to demonstrate this.

It was actually what put me off doing martial arts- I had been doing naginata for around a year and it was one of my first times in armor. Our teacher was doing it just to get us newbies used to it, a few striking exercises of something they'd just showing using each other as a target. I was paired off with the less senior teacher, and I was having difficulty getting everything right as I was unused to the armor. So the other teacher started wailing on my sune(shins) as I was "taking too long". It was really really off-putting and didn't make me feel comfortable as it was not a sparring session it was just using each other as targets in turns. After that I stopped turning up as frequently as that teacher kinda scared me. I complained to the other teacher as to me it was bullying (they were never like that to other students) but they brushed it off as "the kendo way of doing things" as that one also taught kendo.

It really felt like there was a teacher who wanted to demonstrate they were better. And the adversarial macho theme running through martial arts as I've experienced seems really unnecessary and off-putting.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Stuff

Mmmm I see; it's more about knocking down the big egos and stopping them from being dangerous to the class. So long as it is not applied to everyone I can understand it. I guess what happened to me was different (Or I'm actually a dick irl and haven't realised it).

One question: Why does not wearing a gi give you an advantage?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Bangkero posted:

Also naginata is loving cool.

It's great fun and I'll go back to it if that teacher moves / stops turning up. Nothing is more humbling than watching the womens world championships.

I was thinking of picking up HEMA in the meantime. I went a few times at the start of the year and it was pretty fun. Just need to get back in the routine, maybe convince a friend to join me.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Ligur posted:

*There's actually one or two guys who go to the same gym who sort of flip off a bit when sparring. Always go a little too hard and can't seem to help themselves even when drilling with lighter women - but they are genuinely sorry if they hurt someone so you can't be angry for long. I guess they are just built to spazz and become so nervous/excited they can't help it. It's almost as if they regularly forget the extent other people are capable of feeling pain but not in a malicious way. This is hard to explain?

Pretty sure I'm like this, it's one of the reasons I don't like non-weapon based stuff. That armor counts for a lot. Maybe I should work on that though, it can't be healthy.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 22, 2011

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

qwako posted:

I'm planning on starting muay thai in jan and this place https://www.ko-muaythai.com is literally two minutes from where i live the timetable looks pretty good and £60 a month sounds quite cheap seeing as they have got two beginners classes a day every day and you can go as much as you want

just wondering if anyones got any other suggestions for london or any comment on their site etc

I was just about to post saying I was going to try unarmed martial arts again (not done any since some lovely stuff in school) and I'm not such a fan of grappling. I am a total beginner and I was looking to start in the new year and Muay Thai looks like it could be good. So yeah, if anyone has any advice on London or things I could do there that'd be great.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mwiV8qbCfiU#t=104s

They key to a proper armbar is doing a Hulk Hogan style leg drop on the way down.

Triple attack position, what's that?

I cannot stop laughing at this. If I knew how i'd make a gif of it.

Wouldn't doing a Hogan Smash like that a. really increase the chance of an accident during training and b. hurt like gently caress if you did it on something that is not a mat.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Yeah but his legs are up in the air at the end of the clip, which says to me he landed with his entire bodyweight on his arse/back. I hadn't even thought about how bad the control was.

For actual content, I'm going to be going to this gym someone mentioned earlier. Does anyone know anything about it? It looks pretty legit. But I don't know, it could be like that krav place :ohdear:

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
^^^^^
Talk to your teachers, refuse to roll with other white belts until they do something, cite how unsafe you feel.

Xguard89 posted:

Yet another reason why belts are dumb and we should all just wear white, brown, and black belts. Novice, student, teacher. BAM that's it.

Bu-Bu-But my feeling of progression will be ruined! Ruined I say!

(I totally agree)

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 4, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Jesus, I about to start going to an MMA club (the place I mentioned earlier) and the thought of accidentally doing something like that terrifies me.

Any tips on what to expect? I'm pretty sure they do BJJ, Graeco-Roman and Muay Thai. I haven't done any grappling at all before and I'm starting tomorrow.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
You guys said making it down to the first session was 90% of the battle. Walking out of the first session after the first real exercise in a year and a half was the real battle.

We did freestyle wrestling and were shown how to do something called the "double leg takedown" and I was well, a total beginner and poo poo. Christ I could spend days perfecting that move; I can see in my mind every little thing I did wrong and it still makes me cringe.

Also I trimmed my nails before I went but missed a spot and accidentally cut someone :ohdear: I apologised profusely but I still feel bad about that.

Really everyone was nice the atmosphere was great and I had a good time and can't wait till I can actually walk back.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Haha, I swore I typed years.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

mewse posted:

you should probably ask and make sure they're not teaching you the british version

That's what it looked like I was doing, not what I should have been doing. I kept getting told to not give my head.

edit: oh I get it. :(

swagger like us posted:

Haha, speaking of nails I remember once when we were stretching, I just brutally sliced open my finger with my own toenail. After that I went and cut my nails because god, they werent even that long but it just sliced through my finger like it was a razor blade.

Jesus christ tell me about it. When we were kids two of my friends were wrestling to see who got the seat and one nicked the other's throat. He barely moved his foot too.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 5, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
My previous gym I paid in cash for every 3 months. They never liked that. The current gym only operates on a month by month basis. Which seems quite nice.
Gyms that lock you into rolling 3 month contracts that are impossible to escape are all too real and so so frustrating.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Annnd today we learnt the shrimp, closed guard and an armbar from closed guard. There is so so much to learn and not so much time to practise these on a partner outside the class. How do you guys handle so much knowledge coming in? I get after a while it becomes muscle memory but at the moment it is just :stare: and so difficult to remember while rolling.

I guess if nothing else this will teach me good time management.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Last night was clinch work, after some exercises on different ways of holding people and how to move between them we did some very light sparring with a point for getting the opponent on the ground or lifting them. I discovered something I've feared was true. It's me, I'm the spaz who cannot relax :( The teacher and one of the students who'd been going a bit longer kept telling me to loosen up. I'm just glad they were patient with me.

One thing though, I got my opponent in a good position (arms around neck on the inside) I just couldn't work out how to actually tip them, even moving around. I'm sure I'll work it out.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I wouldn't describe Judo as peaceful...

They both came from the same roots iirc and are very similar. As for which is better don't forget Kimura beat Hélio.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Actually yeah, boxing. Remember it's a martial art just as much as Judo or MT is. And if you are just starting even shadow boxing (can be done in your own room!) is really tiring/ good exercise.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Rhaka posted:

On that note, what are some good ways to improve flexibility, besides just kicking/grappling more? My flexibility remains abhorrent, can't land a decent high kick or do fancy leg control on the ground to save my life.

Be like me and be born with incredibly flexible arms and shoulders :smug: .

Real answer- lots and lots of stretches, I've heard Yoga is good too.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

swmmrmanshen posted:

Psh, people and their personal space. What, do they think its a big deal if I decide that I just want to wrap my legs around their torso?

Same boat though. Judo has made me feel much more comfortable in situations that used to make me very uncomfortable. Things in general just seem less scary. The confidence gained from being able to go out and fight/grapple/spar is huge. Just don't be a dick about it.

And I love how people just randomly reference the Helio/Kimura fight.

I was very badly trying to point out what you do doesn't matter. I should have expounded it by saying that shows like that are kind of pointless, if you want to know what is best. Well go look at an MMA match and see what people use (answer - bits of everything) . And to just do what looks fun.

I was showing my friend some BJJ stuff (they asked!) and she stopped me and said "Anti, This.. This looks sexual." She found the idea of a room full of guys doing it hilarious for some reason.

VVVVV Gah my mistake, thanks for catching that.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 18, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Nierbo posted:

In a few years time when you finally stop making excuses and try a martial art and love it, you'll post here saying how much you wish you started it years ago.

I think this might be me.

Had my first session of MT today. My friend came with me but he had to leave after the warm-up because it was too much exercise for him :( I think it gave him some food for thought on his lifestyle however.

One of the things I've really noticed is the way my body aches after different MAs. BJJ leaves my quads and back (from arching to throw people off) aching, wrestling leaves my neck really stiff, and MT apparently leaves my arms feeling like weights and my abs hurt after all of them.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
How often and for how long do you guys train? I just want to get an idea of what other people do. My schedule currently looks something like this:

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings - 1 1/2 hours BJJ (including warm-up)

Sometimes I go to MT instead on Thursdays.

I am going to try from today mixing in 1 1/2 hours of MT at lunchtime (yay flexible hours) on those days.

Every other day I just go for a run and try and do regular exercise.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, perhaps W&W would be better.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
SLAP DA MAT

Hope you have fun

I'm bummed out cause training this week was really unsatisfying, I think it had more to do with me only getting 5 hours sleep max each night this week. I didn't even make it yesterday I was so tired.

VVVVVV Only that I should have started it way earlier.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 27, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Got kneed in the balls by the teacher demo-ing something. I brought a cup the same day.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Commas are the devils work.

So yesterday I had a great session, finally got a sub in on someone while rolling (a triangle of all things, we've never practised them I've only seen pictures) I guess it was more due to rolling with someone who had been doing it as long as me rather than people with more experience. However I woke up this morning with a weird pain on the inside side of my knee, it kinda hurts in a weird way only if I fully extend my leg, walking seems fine. Should I go to practice today or leave it till next Tuesday?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Yeah I ended up not going and instead got into an arguement with a friend of a friend who insisted BJJ wasn't a real martial art "because it's from Brazil"...

I got the triangle from the weird comedy of errors only novices can do, the instructor walked past just after I mucked up trying to get an armbar and just said "try doing a triangle" and watched me do it. I'd never have tried doing it otherwise.

As for my knee I'm not sure what caused it, it might have been the kneebar someone else did on me, I'll not wuss out next time and try to catch up this weekend. Thanks for the help guys :)

VVVVV it's my fourth week, I didn't like it, never seen one before.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 3, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Mr Interweb posted:

So I'm looking for something that would be the most practical in a street fight.

Running.

edit: then grabbing the nearest blunt object and using that.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Illegal Username posted:

Our new gym venue is looking so manly it will probably play Eye of the tiger all by itself.

Turns out calling the club "gladiator factory" was a bit serendipitous

:stare:

Do you train for what happens when the roof caves in?

I guess the cold keeps you on your toes.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Illegal Username posted:

Plan B: :byodood:

This is all of my plans.

Do any of you get it where you think the opponent has tapped while rolling, so you begin to let go and it turns out they didn't. I mucked up an RNC last session and it's really bothering me, I'd hate to do it in a more serious setting.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Thoguh posted:

In a competition setting you have a referee whose job it is to know if someone tapped, so you can err more on the side of applying the lock or choke. In a practice situation it's always better to let go if you aren't sure.

Thanks, that helps. I guess I know I had it and that's what matters, won't let it bug me next time.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
That is one incredible article. I liked the other one of his he linked about self-defence, It should be a must read for anyone studying martial arts to protect themselves.

I do feel really bad for that Aikido master however, it must be really disappointing to find out you are actually poo poo.

edit: here's the direct link. It possibly would have been a better response to that guy a few pages back asking for a good self-defence martial art than the continual piss-taking he received.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 8, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I was thinking of writing a big effort-post on real self-defence, but that article pretty much covers everything, One thing I was going to include was a story from quite a while back in this thread where someone described how they got accosted by a drunk guy, all their training went out of the window due to adrenaline and they just shoved the drunk guy over and walked away. Everyone was saying that was perfectly natural and probably the ideal outcome. And how the only way to not feel like that was to get into lots of "real" fights, which is hardly ideal.

I'll see if I can drag the post up, it highlighted a lot of the misconceptions about martial arts and self defence. I don't know if it is too much for the OP tho.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
It's time for *dramatic voice* Tales of Self-Defence!

Round 1!

Fleshpeg from page 74 posted:

I was in a huge line for a roller coaster a few weeks ago when some rear end in a top hat and his girlfriend cut in line in front of us. One girl in our group called him out on it and his response was basically "gently caress you, what are you going to do about it?" I will admit that a small part of me wanted to double-leg him into the ground and choke him out in front of his girlfriend. But logically, there's not really a winning scenario. He either beats the poo poo out of me, which is not good for me, or I beat the poo poo out of him and possibly get arrested and have to deal with legal issues over getting onto a roller coaster faster. It sucks for your ego, but not getting into a physical confrontation unless you're protecting yourself or others is usually the best choice.

Don't get into a self-defence / fight situation.

Round 2!

Willie_Dee from page 51 posted:

He then got in the face of another girl I was with saying how I was an rear end in a top hat so I pushed him back and told him to gently caress off. He came forward again, I pushed him back again, he then through a massive looping right hand punch at me that I easily ducked under, thought about going for the double leg and planting him but instead just shoved him whilst he was so massively off balance from throwing such a telegraphed punch and being drunk.

He went flying, a good 3 or 4 meters, crashed into some people and fell into a table and then got up again, I didn't move forward and instead just held at my hand and shouted aggressively "stay the gently caress back, get back, get back" (I have no idea why I shouted this and didn't say something better), at one point he looked like he was going to come forward again so I did a small boxing shuffle and got my hands ready again (mostly to try and calm myself down and try and think), and I think he changed his mind from this and walked away. A few people congratulated me, my heart was racing for a good 15 minutes afterwards and I felt horrible, embarrassed and kind of sick.

If you do get in a fight / accosted get out of it as quickly as possible.

Round 3!

Omglosser from page 52 posted:

I was at a bar with a female friend once and this dude with them was OBLITERATED drunk and kept trying to finger blast my friend through her jeans.(he worked his way up to it, repeatedly grabbing her inner thigh then escalating, etc etc). I handled the situation very poorly when I reached over, crushed his hand in mine and glared him in the eye and said "Keep your loving hands off of her!" He walked over to me, pushed me a bit(I was still sitting down), then he grabbed a glass ketchup bottle to smash it over my head. I froze. I had no idea what to do and I knew people were expecting me to do something. So, I grabbed the bottle and held it close to my navel, using leverage in that way to keep it in my control. He yanked a few times and spewed a couple "YOU WANNA GO?!" in my face, to which I replied "You don't wanna get physical with me dude. Bad idea." But I had started it, you see. He backed down when someone got between us and I left, shaky and feeling ashamed.

The whole thing could've been avoided if I had just switched seats with her the first time he touched her thigh.

If you don't get out of it as quickly as possible hope to god someone else intervenes between you two and stops it escalating, otherwise someone is getting badly hurt when they didn't need to.

Throughout all of these note the adrenaline rush and the lack of thinking. Even if you know a martial art you will not be fighting very effectively due to this. The only way to stop this is to get into enough real fights that you are able to think clearly, but this will probably give you PSTD or some other sort of psychological problems. You will certainly not be a better person for it.
I don't think any amount of martial arts will stop this as at the end of the day you know the opponent is not trying to kill you, you cannot make that guarantee in a street fight. It's a big difference.

The one time I was in a situation where a fight was about to break out I did the dumbest thing possible; in my adrenaline rush I picked up a knife. Things didn't escalate higher because I had kept it hidden, and my friend managed to talk the guy down. If I'd made it clear I was going to defend myself with it egos would have got in the way, bluffs would be called and no matter what someone would be left hurt and everyone ashamed. Don't be me.

edit: That's way too much for the OP, oh well.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 8, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Nierbo posted:

None of those stories were worth repeating. Simple examples of people getting walked over and the rear end in a top hat in those stories has been given no incentive whatsoever to not do it again next time.

It feels like you missed the point, I was posting about self-defence and staying out of trouble, not how to get into fights with arseholes and show them up. I mean if you want to do that sure but it's not my job to teach them a lesson and I'd rather resolve situations with as little violence as possible, even if it involves losing face (within reason).

As for old fashioned brawls, I don't know, I got into plenty of fights at school but it kinda stopped after then. I guess it's a cultural thing.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 8, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
3rd MT lesson report: kicked in the balls twice.

Do my shins stop hurting so much guarding kicks? At this point I'm wondering if it'd be less painful to just take the kick.

Note to self: stop punching so hard during sparring. Also don't let that guy who's built like a short bear up close so he can pummel you.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

KingColliwog posted:

I wouldn't know! Progression goes like that : white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black.

I also found this image (we don't do the whole half-belt thing) :

If I recall my Naginata practice sankyu = 3rd kyu?

ichi nii san shi go rok shich haichi! over and over and over.

Guilty posted:

Get a cup. One of my friends trained in Thailand for a year, had 4 fights in Rajadamnern, and 2 in Lumpinee, came back and on his first day back training got hospitalized by a low kick which landed directly on his balls by a 17 year old. Busted a blood vessel or something.

Sounds like you're blocking wrong, especially if it's your 3rd lesson. If you're blocking low kicks, either try to take it on the part of the shin that you normally land kicks with, or even better, on the flexed knee, as if you're kneeing the kick away (this can hurt like a mother fucker, so try not to do it so hard in sparring).

Learn to punch stiffly, but not hard. And you can always clinch the little bears, push and kick away.

Yeah I had a cup but it broke last week (one of the straps I need to sew it back on) It was just funny as it was the same guy within like 5 minutes.

I don't know if I'm blocking wrong, I kinda block with the front of my shin, almost 90 degrees to the kick about halfway up. Front of my shin to front of their shin. Is that wrong?

It was my first time in sparring, I kinda panicked and got hit a whole bunch. Didn't even think of clinching. This is gonna take a whoole buncha practice. Thanks for your help guys!

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 18, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Thoguh posted:

In pretty much any physical activity having a locked knee is a bad idea.

The only thing I can think of is touching your toes.

Thank you for your advice Guilty and Kimbo, I only get to go to MT once a week for now, so I need all the help I can get, I'll see if I can do that bagwork.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

swmmrmanshen posted:

Fought in the VA Open today. Won the -100kg and got 3rd in the +100, both advanced divisions. This was the highlight of my day, IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R60Ajul3XIc

Watching judo with no real knowledge is awesome, I have no idea who has the upper hand and then someone gets thrown out of no-where.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Ligur posted:

Why I'm even posting this is cause a friend who I've sparred with was going to fight in the next event, TURPAKEIKKA IV. Turpakeikka translates to "nosejob 4" and is impossible to convey in English but means "buttkick 4" for all effect and purpose.
This looks like so much fun. Insane, but fun.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Makrond posted:

So there's a lot of in-depth discussion about sweaty man hugging in this thread but I know there's a few historical fencers here. I was wondering if you guys had an opinion on the correct execution of a zornhau (as well as the philosophies surrounding it). Basically a friend of mine has been reading some books because he really wants to get into this but can't find any decent schools or even training partners in his area, and a lot of the stuff comes from Ringeck's writings.

So the problem is that basically everything about the zornhau (and the meisterhau in general) runs counter to what I've learned. Essentially the purpose of every strike is to close in and achieve anbinden, which is considered safer. In fact one of the books explicitly warns against striking a zornhau to the man and instead recommends striking at the sword while moving off the center line, which seems so absurdly wrong to me that I cannot even put it into a coherent sentence. Is this just because Ringeck's manuals were based primarily on armour fighting, while the material I'm used to is designed for first-blood judicial duels? Did attitudes to the bind change over the years, and if so why? Is this just a weird interpretation of Ringeck's writings?

I'm really confused and wondering where this idea of not striking to the man comes from, basically, and if anyone has any ideas about why it doesn't seem to show up in Meyer's or Fiore's works (at least that I've seen) and maybe has some idea why it changed (or if it changed at all).

edit: I also realise this is not the best place to be asking about this but I just want to throw in some deeper discussion of our hobby about thrusting powerfully into other dudes.

I did some EMA for a while, If I had the time I'd get back into it. I've only read Fiore and I'm very inexperienced sadly. It's designed to break guard and put you in a good bind right? From the video I just watched it seems to do everything you described and looked fairly effective, I guess aiming for the weapon is part of the weapon being the real target in that move, I'm not sure about stepping of centre however. Please let me know if you figure it out!Sorry for being a bit useless.

Historical martial arts are very cool and the work done to re-build them from texts is incredible. If you were to get me to try and do an armbar from someones description of it it would be hilariously off, so to do something like this is amazing. Also the end of that video has some hilariously compliant "throws".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Didn't someone post a research paper they'd done on training / exercise for MMA. I can't help but think that'd be useful, sadly I didn't read it.

Not sure if this is too far for this thread, but I found out my resting heart rate is 95bpm, I fix this by running lots of long distance and doing half hour ergs right?

• Locked thread