Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thats a really good link, thankyou. I've been thinking about changing from Judo to BJJ because I find I have more interest in the ground work and we don't exactly do much any more, especially as a comp is coming up. I probably won't be able to due to financial restrictions but its always in the back of my mind.
On another good note, me and one other white belt got an hour and a half of private coaching with a 6th degree Judo black belt (he's the father of our current instructor). Thats two amazing sessions in a row now. He's the former Australian champion and Oceania champion and was one of our reps to the world championships. He's done so much for the sport of Judo in Aus, I can't believe they only charge 5 dollars per lesson. In an effort to show my appreciation I've volunteered to help clean the whole dojo on the weekend. It almost seems silly to want to walk away from that kind of amazing instruction but I've really got the BJJ itch. Maybe I'll leave Judo when/if all these awesome instructors go elsewhere.
And thanks to everyone who answered all of my silly questions in the previous thread.

e: Oh yeah, I like the op too. You always have good contributions xguard.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Xguard86 posted:

Ironically, I take a page from the Aikido playbook and just gently parry the issue.
That was loving hilarious. You're my new favourite poster. Sorry adolfo but you don't post much any more :(

I got my first throw on a blue belt the other day. Osoto gari. It was a bit sloppy and he was tired (so was I though) but he has about 30kgs on me, so it felt good. I'm having trouble with linking the hand movement and the foot movement but I know coordination takes time BUT finally a new guy joined who had only done a few weeks worth and I got to see how much I improved via a few randori sessions. I got him down probably about 6 times, including a morote seoi nage and a left handed ippon seoi nage, no lame cop-out drop seios. only the good poo poo!
I'm not trying to show off and be like 'I got a bunch of throws and kicked this dudes rear end hurr' but I really wanted to randori with a new guy to see how far I'd come because I was the newest at the club for 6 months so I had no way to see how much I'd improved except for 'oh, the brown belt only threw me 7 times instead of 8'. My balance is hugely improved and I actually have an offense now. My O Goshi is probably my best throw, because my kuzushi is good due to the seoi nage drilling we did and everyone knows me for trying seoi nage so I change it up a little bit and sometimes I use the half O Goshi where its only half hip (forgot the name of it). I feel that ones a bit quicker and its a bit more surprising coming from a white belt but the good belts just step off it so I guess I'm still not fast enough or I telegraph it too much. Combos are hard for me, so apparently I have to pretend to want to do a ouchi gari but I'm really just trying to do a forward throw? e: or pretend I'm doing ouchi gari but take an extra step once they step off and do osoto gari? Is that the right order?
I know I sort of treat this thread like a blog sometimes, but I like to get my thoughts down somewhere.

e: Oh and I kneed some dude in the balls and then grabbed them a few minutes later. Both by accident of course. Felt utterly horrible.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 6, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

ManicParroT posted:

I've been on the receiving end of this before. As my mate said afterwards,
"Uchi mata, now with more uchi."

Speaking which, is that what you mean when you say a half o goshi? I don't know much Judo, so maybe I'm way off base.

Come to think of it, I get kneed in the balls too often. Need a cup of some type.

No, I think its called Uki Goshi. They have't taught me uchi mata yet as I don't have my yellow belt, but they'll be grading me soon. We have some amazing instructors seemingly hell bent on me getting the basics down. But I really want to learn uchi mata. It looks easier to complete than some of the 1st kyo throws and is spectacular to watch someone do aswell.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Natalie Portmanteau posted:

It's been 6 months since my shoulder dislocated and it's still weak. gently caress.
What happened?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

z0331 posted:

Hi, I do kendo.

I can answer questions if you have them.
Is there any place in the world where you can actually carry around wooden swords and use them to defend yourself without getting in trouble with the law? Because that would make Kendo and Filipino stick fighting totally badass.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I found that whole discussion really interesting.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Adolfo Castro posted:

I miss the old thread :smith:
The Aikido thread is where the action is at the moment.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Xguard86 posted:

Huh?

Link?
I was just being stupid.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
God I can't stand bullshido. So many assholes berating the new guys. And a respected poster was arguing that Matt Hughes is a BJJ black belt. I just closed the tab, never to go back.
Glad you're all here.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

Why don't you think Matt Hughes is on black belt level?
I never said don't I think that.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Niethan, you're so grumpy these days. Do you want your old avatar back? I'll pay for it if it means you go back to being your old self :ohdear:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

loving hurt my back yesterday. Hoping it's just a muscle being an rear end in a top hat, gonna train tomorow if it feels right.

I'm on an injury streak right now, I get to injure myself every 3 weeks!
Hah, welcome to my life. I was terrified I had a fracture but the xrays proved otherwise, just some muscle spasming out. Even after one session of physio is it 80% better. He pumped some electricity into the muscle for 20 mins and then rubbed it a bit, and it was close to perfect again. I have to remember to breathe OUT when I hit the canvas, not IN like an idiot, lest my shoulder blade digs hard into my muscles.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Dirp posted:

Was hitting the heavy bag today at YMCA because I'm back at my parents with nothing to do and I had a guy tell me I shouldn't use gloves while hitting the bag. Apparently I should use dumbbells instead because it, "makes your hands tough and you punch way faster" :downs:

This man was also karate chopping the bag before I started working on it.
Make sure to ask him plenty of questions with a very serious face and tell us the hilarious answers he gives.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ridleys Revenge posted:

For me, the 'classic' MMA sequence is:
Teach 'em a jab-straight combo
Then teach them to duck it and shoot a double
Then teach them to sprawl it and guillotine
Then teach them to trap an arm from the bottom and sit-out into n/s

This is usually how I start my beginners, and it seems like it gives them context and a base of good habits when we start getting into the advanced stuff.
That sounds awesome. I wish I could have that beginners program taught to me. How long would you spend on each?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Adolfo Castro posted:

stuff
Your right one? :(

Which gym does he actually train out of/teach? And whats the pricing like at your school and would it be the same at the one near me?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

delljit posted:

My club used to be a pete de been affiliate, I train with Ninos in tullamarine and I must say it feels like a family. We wear what we want, train hard together, teach each other and have a laugh together. A few guys have the keys too so we open the club up for open mat on non training nights/days.

I couldn't ever imagine training under those Gracie barra rules and regulations on that website above.
Can I ask how much it was under Peter de Been?

e: wow, only 100 a month? Thats really good. I was expecting around 130-150. Any contract? The one near me is in Wollongong if it matters.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 10, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Smegmatron posted:

Hey for what it matters, a guy I roll with regularly at Gracie Sydney (Alexandria, which is basically the airport) lives in Wollongong. He actually makes the commute.
Oh, so he thinks the Wollongong one is poo poo?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Australian Judo Nationals starts streaming live in a few minutes for those who are intersted:

http://www.lmsc.com.au/index.php?page=display&key=LZeX6Rzm

First time watching it so I don't know what the coverage will be like.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Hm on my screen I can watch the main broadcast and below that there's the links for the 4 mats.

better picture.

e: wow, its amazing watching someone from my club compete in another state live. He won too.
e2: He lost in the finals. Oh well, second is good too.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 11, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thoguh, do the spelling and grammar mistakes continue throughout Attacking Judo? Its pissing me off. Is that how all those books on fightingfilms are?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

zalmoxes posted:

I maybe be wrong about this, but if I had a kid I'd start him off with a grappling MA, like Judo, Sambo or Greco-Roman wrestling. I don't have anything against it, and I know Karate and Taekwondo are popular with american children, but I think kids don't really pick up on the important stuff doing it.

The wrestling types of martial arts are more physically challenging and you have to do techniques properly, or they just dont work.
While I agree in theory, wouldn't most kids benefit more from striking than grappling. At the very least, they are more likely to stick with it. I can't see a 6 year old falling in love with bjj the way he would with karate. Just my two cents, but I don't think I'd enroll my (future) kids into any sort of grappling till they were about 13.

e: you didnt mention BJJ specifically but I think the point is still valid for the ones you did mention.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 14, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

dokomoy posted:

I've seen kids bjj classes run at a bunch of different schools, and the kids always look like they're having a great time. Obviously you can't structure it the same as an adult class(there's less drilling and more games for example) but the kids are defiantly learning a lot of jiu jitsu.

One huge advantage grappling arts have over striking arts is that kids can practice them at something approaching full speed. No one wants there kids doing full contact sparing in boxing, but kids can do everything(except sometimes submissions) at full speed and resistance.

Good points.
I was watching the kids class at my judo club and it just seems like boring drivel. They barely do anything with technique, they're all just pushing each other over most of the time and I would never pay for my kids to go to that kids class, but I guess thats just my club.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

rjderouin posted:

Does anyone else get frustrated when you are doing randori with someone else and they are really stiff? I was like that in the beginning too but I eventually learned to stop. Being stiff leaves you open to so many attacks that randori just becomes stagnated.
Last session I did randori with a guy I call 'the rock' because he's immovable by my hand and he doesn't like to move of his own volition either. He's a blue belt, bout 5'9 and probably about 100kg and can harai goshi me at will. He just holds me away with one arm and we just stand there like idiots for 3 minutes until time is called. I'm exagerrating a bit but I wish he'd move around and let me practice whatever basic white belt thing I'm focusing on that week, it almost like he's in the exact same position at the end of randori as when we started. Its not like I'm going to pose some threat anyway, I'm still trying out the first 8 throws for god sakes. I hate people with something to prove. I'm often the only white belt at training and its a bit frustrating as they're fuckin tanks too, seemingly immovable compared to my 75kg frame. I know thats not exactly what you're talking about, but I thought I'd chime in with my own little rant. I yank on his lapell and try to kick his ankle, I suppose that works with limited success.

I randori'd with one of our senseis for the first time and got waaaaaaaay more offense off against him than against the blue belt because he wasn't trying to show that he earnt his belt, he was just having fun giving me little tips, seeing what openings I see and what fakes I respond to and he was loose in his elbows but strong in his wrists and responsive with the feet. He didn't try to throw me once, yet I learnt so much more and had more fun than I had with The Rock even though The Rock would have scored more against me. That sensei is actually a 6th dan black belt and by the end I was literally laughing at how 'like a fish out of water' I felt. He showed me some grip move and said to try it during our randori, so I did it on him successfully and then he immediately did a counter (that I obviously had no idea about) and I whispered 'you bastard. you set me up' and we both burst out laughing and had to break grips and reset our randori. It doesn't sound all that epic now that I've written it out, but it was a truly awesome experience to make someone of that experience laugh mid serious randori session.

Back to your point, screw stiff guys! (not in the gay way)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thanks xguard and kolliwog. You're always very helpful. At the risk of sounding lame, I added your replies to my judo journal.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Someone from judo told me not to cross my feet/ankles behind the guys back when I'm on my back and hes in my guard as its considered a 'squeeze'. What the flying gently caress is he talking about? He's just talking out of his rear end right? This can't possibly be true.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay thanks. I thought that might be the case. I was thinking 'well won't it just be super easy to pass if I don't cross em'. I'm so surprised I got bullshit info like that from a blue belt. I won't do Dojime and wasn't even aware of it till now. I can't even imagine what that would do to some jerk on the street who hasn't trained before but I guess you could say that about most of the ground techniques.

On the water thing, we're allowed to get water whenever we want, unless they're a blue or brown belt, and every half an hour the instructor is like 'okay, drink break, get some air' and we get 3 minutes to walk around and drink and rest. I don't think its fair for a instructor to stop anyone from getting a drink. If someone passed out, I bet he'd sure wish he could go back and let em have that water. I read online that you can burn a thousand calories on a hard judo workout. Anyone working that hard should definitely take in a bunch of water.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I wonder why more karate guys don't post. Are they scared off by grappling terminology or do they simply not exist any more? I remember many people doing karate when I was younger and I assumed that there may be some sort of resurgance due to MMA getting big, which I know isn't directly related but it gets people in the mood for combat or to better themselves physically. I haven't seen a karate thread where they could all be hiding. I've always thought the mental aspect of karate is something that a lot of other martial arts are missing out on. I'm not talking mystical poo poo or doing kata (I know a lot of places do that though), I mean mental preparation, staying calm etc. In real life I meet more people that have done TKD than karate. Is karate seen as really uncool or something? I know it might not be the most practical for self defense, but its still decent I thought for developing speed and accuracy and mental toughness and I'm sure a proper karate black belt (or perhaps lower) could drop the less useful kicks and be able to pick up at a kickboxing gym where they left off if they wanted to go super practical or just wanted a change of scenery and not feel like they just wasted 5 years. Or do goons and karate simply not mesh?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Bangkero posted:

After 3 months of training, I earned my yellow belt
I've been emasculated.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I guess my tone came across wrong. I really do like karate and was hoping to bring some more karate guys out from the woodwork and have them post and I was hoping to see some of the things they come across in training and what questions they would ask each other and what problems befall karate students and a karate dojo that wouldnt even cross my mind usually. So first, thanks for posting. I love the MA thread the livlier it is.

I don't have a negative attitude toward 'non grappling' even if my post indicated that. I used to do boxing and kickboxing and found them very physically rewarding but I never seemed to fall in love with it like my friends did with karate so I find it interesting as to what aspects people love so much and I was hoping to find out what tips can they share about mental preparation or other things that they picked up unique to karate that they would never bother teaching us at boxing. I wasn't even thinking about grappling when I wrote my post, I was more comparing it in my mind to kick/boxing. I have no interest in saying any martial art is better than another, I just like learning and I find googling things very boring, I'd much rather read a nice personable post on here (see Ligur's posts). I'm actually pro karate and like I said in my original post, I do like certain aspects and wonder about other aspects.

It looks you seem to think kata is a big part of the mental development and without it, they'd be missing out. Thats the sort of stuff I was interested in finding out, and what are the reasons for it helping.

Buried Alive posted:

You then say you know it might not be the most practical self-defense system (why not? Why is grappling considered more effective?) and then go on to say that a proper karate black belt could drop some of the less useful kicks and pick up at a kickboxing gym to avoid feeling like they just wasted the last five years. Which, taken together, reads like "Why don't they go study a real martial art?"
Now that I read it back I see how it sounded, but what I meant to say was that if a karate guy started doing kickboxing, he wouldnt feel like he wasted the past 5 years because if he went to a decent place, he would have learnt a lot and physically and mentally improved himself greatly, especially after 5 years. Similarly, if a kickboxer started karate, he would have to drop some non karate approved stuff and pick up some other stuff. The comparison could have gone either way really, but I put it that way because kickboxing is considered by many to be very practical with what it uses and I assume more often than not, more practical than karate which is what I currently believe. But I'd love to hear stories of my thoughts being wrong and/or right or anywhere in between as that makes for a great thread.

I thought it was a great shame to not have any karate guys posting regularly and I honestly wasn't trying to sound smug. Like when I tried a hapkido class (with bits of TKD chucked in) some of the stuff was great, I liked how traditional the atmosphere was was, the sensei spoke for a while before the start of class to get us in the zone which is totally the opposite of the kickboxing gym I went to so I found that interesting. Then there was a few things we practiced that I wasn't a fan of, like the crescent kick. The thread stagnates from time to time so I thought we could have some discussion like that.

If you check my post history you'll see I'm open minded and humble and happy to learn and like hearing about other peoples experiences, but do I see how my post sounded now.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 20, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

You'Re not really open minded and humble tho, I remember in the last thread you were like "my silly gf wants to do tkd :rolleyes:"
And that was the perfect chance to discuss whether I was right or wrong, which you all did and I learnt from it and we all had fun.

VV Cmon niethan, stop being a grumpy pants all the time. If I knew everything, I wouldn't be on here making an rear end of myself now would I?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 20, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Syphilis Fish posted:

Your cup is full and you refuse to empty it, to paraphrase a 'famous' (Tao) concept used in many Martial Arts.
I hate to argue on here especially over something so silly as a personal comment made about me, but your just plain wrong with that statement. Despite everything I heard and read about tkd and so few people were defending it, I still went to a class to check it out. As far as I'm concerned thats the very definition of open minded and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't agree with that.

On another note, I passed grading tonight at Judo. As I'm not a member of the IJF, I don't actually get the belt or have it registered at HQ, but I get it as soon as I pony up the registration money. Thanks to everyone that has helped me on here and answered my silly questions over the past 7 months, specifically xguard, thoguh and colliwog. And even Syphilis Fish sometimes too. And tarepanda :D I really had some muscle memory on some of the throws and didn't have to think at all in terms of steps and I put them together fluidly. Its only yellow but its nice to have taken the first step.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

kimbo posted:

Karate would be equally practical as long as it was practiced in real fighting situations.
Now this is more like it.
Those were great links kimbo. I absolutely love that sort of breakdown. From the gif's on the bloodyelbow page, it seems like I've learnt a completely different crescent kick.
Your friend had incredible evasive speed and that is beautiful to watch when it is paired with his aggression. The other guy wasn't even holding a candle to him in terms of landing kicks. He was really reading him well. I envy that ability, aswell as those fast reflexes.

foolish_fool posted:

Karate schools certainly exist - I competed against a bunch of Karate guys in this all-styles comp (Form/Point Sparring) I went in last year (I was doing Kung Fu).
That sounds sweet as. Can you detail your success or failure there? What sort of Kung Fu by the way?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think everyone respects karate again since Lyoto Machida smashed his way up the UFC ladder. Even if Shogun kind of humiliated him later, Machida showed that there was nothing wrong with the martial art, it was just the lovely way it's usually taught. I mean, he crosstrained a shitload obviously, but he showed that he could stand and strike with boxers and muay thai guys and pick them apart with pure karate. If someone does the same thing with TKD, it'll have my respect too.
Its an interesting concept to have a less popular striking type so that your opponent will have much less experience against someone of that style and as much as people berated that evasiveness it was, for me, great to watch someone not take any damage and utilise things that others hadn't really been training for. Hasn't worked out recently though :(

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 20, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Bangkero posted:

Hey congrats. Did you have any stand out throws which you felt you did better at? My o-goshi (hip throw) I felt was my best (thanks low hips :)) and my kouchi gari (minor inner reap) was my worse (timing was a bit off).

Yeah my Seoi Nage is fuckin dynamite because thats basically all I did for the first two months and sensei said my O Goshi and Uki Goshi were spot on even though I thought I was crap at those, and yeah my Kouchi Gari is pretty poo poo. I can drop guys with it, but I really have to think about it which means its sorta useless in randori where the body has to take over.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

werds

Thankyou. Yes, you did tell me hah.
Thanks for the tip, I will (and do) work very hard on my k/ouchi gari, for the exact reason you said, combos. I've got a book Attacking Judo: A guide to combinations and counters and many combinations are based off of those moves. I'm finding it hard to mount a real offense in randori, but I have to remember they're mostly blue belts where I train, so they're not exactly going to give anything to me easily. Thanks again for your help.

KingColliwog posted:

work on ko uchi to ippon or ippon to ko uchi in randori
Thats my main goal during randori. Havent been taught uchi mata yet but its one of the most commonnly attempted throws I see during judo matches at the higher levels and I can see how insanely useful it will be once I get to it too.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Do any BJJ tourneys exist where you can't use judo throws?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

BJJ doesn't have a strictly defined set of rules that determines what BJJ is, like Judo does. Not a rip on Judo, because the minimal syllabus is part of the genius of it, but BJJ's a different beast. A lot of BJJ techniques are also Judo techniques, also Sambo techniques, also wrestling techniques, whatever.

Ah kool, I just thought maybe there was a group of bjj guys who were like 'nah, that sucks, we dont train throws, we just drag em to the ground, so you have to do that too' but I'm glad that to hear that doesnt exist.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Sprawling out on a kneeling opponent is just such an incredibly versatile place for you to be that you'd be silly not to snap your opponent down regularly to look for the myriad of easy chokes and turnovers that you can access from sprawl.
Can you expand on that sentence? I've never been taught what a sprawl is and I don't quite get what you mean by my opponent kneeling. I've never seen anyone kneel at judo except when we start there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Look it up on youtube, a sprawl is a super basic wrestling/bjj/everything manoevre to counter double and single leg takedowns.
Ah okay, thats what I thought. I can't imagine that ever being useful in judo though which is why I thought I had it wrong.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 25, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Gotcha. Sorry, I was just having a hard time picturing it in my head.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Osoto Gari arrived in the mail today. Thanks to whoever suggested it (thoguh I think), I loving love it and it looks great. I plan to try to have it as my specialty. Its my favourite throw and the only one I've ever had real success with too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

Can we make this the thread title?

I'd be honoured. Although I don't think its worthy.

• Locked thread