Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
In BJJ, why is the thumb not used when gripping your opponent's wrist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I know this is brought up now and then but are there any specific weight training programs you guys follow around your MA sessions?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

It has been said before, but I really, really like Westside for Skinny Bastard. It's not too taxing on the body and it's great for general athleticism.

5x5 or Starting Strength is good and all, but I personally cannot do them + regular judo + some bjj + some light sport (volley-ball with the girlfriend, etc). It is way too taxing on my body even if I try to get as much food in my body as physically possible.

I did Starting Strength up to getting my Squat around 295 and then switched to Alfalfa's power builder program. It might be a little too much with bjj thrown in though. I'll check out Westside but I'm not particular skinny if that matters.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
How much do gi's typically run? I need to pick one up for bjj and could get one at the place I'm training at but am not sure if that's a rookie mistake.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

$75-$300 is pretty much the range. If you post the brand and price we can let you know if its a good or bad idea.

Somebody mentioned Padilla & Sons for gi's in the SAS grappling thread.

http://www.matrat.us/

I'm just not sure if it's typical to pick up your first gi at the place you train at. Maybe it is - not sure.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
For someone completely new to bjj and rolling how do you 'attack' another person? Usually when we're rolling we're both on our knees or sitting but I can never figure out the best way to attack someone when they're on their butt.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Ligur posted:

(Take some more classes. If you are completely new you have to learn a FEW basics first, preferably with someone instructing and partners who are also, more or less, completely new.)

Yeah, everybody there is pretty cool and helpful to be honest. I just feel like a dope but I guess I just have to do it more.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What do you guys use for sore muscles? Is Tiger Balm ok?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I put too much balm on and had to hop in the shower to get it off :(

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Diaz also isn't a power puncher and could probably talk enough incoherent poo poo to make a bunch of pikies back down.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

ManicParroT posted:

This is white collar boxing:
http://www.armouryboxing.com/

Basically they're like "waah, why do poor people have all the fun" and they've made a boxing gym that's oriented more towards soccer moms and marketing managers.

quote:

Authentic, that's the mark of the place. Bare facebrick walls, wooden beams, leather punch bags gently swinging from black steel trusses and two rings, one centre stage, offset by stylish decor, grand pugilistic artwork and a panelled lounge snuck out the back, with leather studded furniture, black and white tiled floors, a library and chandeliers.

whoa.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Hey, Tiger Balm guy again - despite the balm alleviating some of the soreness I'm noticing some dull pain in both arms whenever I'm rolling. It almost feels like I have shin splints in my arms underneath my muscles.

It's not a sharp or serious pain but rather just a dull ache that makes my arms feel fatigued. Is this to be expected for new people who are rolling pretty frequently? I lifted heavy weights before taking up bjj so I was a bit surprised by this.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

mewse posted:

you're planning on sparring with "bas rutten fight club" and you didn't know what kickboxing is? and you want to do a fight in 3 months???? good grief

Interests
Anything Esoteric and Unknown. lots of H.P. Lovecraft.
Occupation
loving with people

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

johnwayne'smom posted:

It's time to finally bite the bullet and train the Judo. I've had my blue belt in beej for a few years now, I'm starting to think about getting my purple but my takedowns are atrocious. I want that smoothness and comfort level standing that I'm starting to feel on the ground, and my school doesn't do enough standing stuff to get me there.

Does anybody that reads this thread train in Mass? There's a really good Judo guy that trains at my BJJ club that also trains at Tohoku in Somerville, and I'm going to try and start training there a couple days a week. Figured if I "knew" (through the internets) another person there it couldn't hurt.

I've done plenty of takedown work and drilling throws in the past, but if anybody has any tips they want to give me going from the butt scoot game to the throw-you-on-yo-head game please hit me with it.

Where do you do bjj near Somerville?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I went to BJJ today and I've noticed that there are some guys that seem to attack with their knees a lot when engaging. It's not like they're kneeing or striking my body per se but rather when they're trying to pass my guard it seems all their bodyweight is centralized on their knees or elbows. I assume that's completely kosher right? Hurts like hell and now I want to start using it.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

henkman posted:

Wait till people use elbows and shoulders. Hope you have a mouth guard.

Did you do anything to learn how to apply that type of pressure from the top? It seems strange that a heavy guy can I lie on top of me and not even feel like a burden while someone half my size can have me gasping for breath.

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 21, 2011

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

Chances are that your opponent isn't going to be some master who is really going to test your preparation in each of 20 different areas and is instead going to be some retard that gasses out in three minutes and opens himself up to whatever you want to do. Cardio is probably the best thing for you at the amateur level.

Is there any rec for bjj related cardio? I have my first tournie coming up.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Are there any icepacks you guys rec for sore arms or is ice in a bag the best thing?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

mewse posted:

additionally does tiger balm actually work? i woke up today and for some reason my upper arms are sore as hell

I found biofreeze was better but that the best remedy was getting rest. It turns out I think I may have tendonitis in both arms/elbows. Not sure...

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
do you bjj guys ever experience pain in your sternum/diaphragm area the day after rolling? if I sneeze it feels like my sternum spasms.

Does this go away eventually? I imagine it's just from being crushed in side-control (because I suck)

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
dead men don't post their arms

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
probably depends on the fighter's sexual orientation too

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What are the rules regarding bjj and 'throat choking' or grabbing the throat in general? I'm not actually sure what to call it but I've heard it referred to as 'rape choking' before but assume there's a friendlier term for it.

I assume using the thumb to press down on the esophagus is not allowed but are you allowed to hold someone down to the mat by grabbing their neck/throat like that?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

the yellow dart posted:

As far as I've seen you're allowed to do it but you're just going to get armbarred for your troubles so ymmv

I was thinking from within half guard but yeah...

Thoguh posted:

:words:

I didn't realize the Gracies were of Scottish descent.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
So not to take away from the eventual 'if mma fighter had gun' debate but what are the general opinions of bjj players starting on their knees when rolling? I know this is referred to as 'midget wrestling' sometimes...

Does anyone have general strategies they follow when trying to pass someone's guard (while not ending up in their opponent's guard).

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Good thing you don't train UFC.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wonder how many five year olds Bruce could take in a fight.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The elbow/forearm in the throat sounds pretty typical I think.

Are you allowed to tickle your opponent though? That could be useful.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Paul Pot posted:

bullshit anatomy always favors the southpaw

Can you explain?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Beware the shock doctor mouthguards, there are horror stories. They make good protective cups though.

Oh? What are these horror stories?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What Fish Oil are guys taking? My joints hurt in general from weightlifting, soccer and bjj and I just noticed that I really wasn't getting enough from the Sundown Naturals brand.

It's only got 300 mg of Omega-3 per pill so I haven't been taking enough (I think).

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Do any of you who do jits or judo get a sore sternum/rib cage? If I sneeze or cough (or even laugh) it feels like my diaphragm is trying to spasm its way out of my body.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I tapped after mounting someone once because my calf cramped during the transition.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
NAGA is this Saturday and I have to be under 200 lbs to compete at Cruiserweight. I weighed 201.2 this morning after urinating but before drinking anything. This seems like a pretty 'easy' cut but I've never competed before and am not sure what to do.

Do I just not eat or drink Friday day?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I stepped on a partner's balls last night while trying to get out of spider guard so I'd wear a cup.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I've eaten enough elbows to the face in my limited bjj career to always make sure and wear a mouthguard.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm surprised someone is trying kneebars on you when it's your first week.

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 3, 2012

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm heading to NAGA next week in gi and no-gi novice divisions, can anyone give me any advice since is my first time?

I just did my first NAGA as a novice a week ago. Make sure to stay calm, breathe and try not to force anything crazy that you haven't tried before.

Drill takedowns if you can since the fights start standing.

Also, there were definitely one or two dudes who were not 'novices' when I competed in the novice division. Keep that in mind.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I have a job interview tomorrow and my face is a bit banged up from BJJ :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
You can also forearm choke people from mount in no-gi.

• Locked thread