Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EricD
Sep 1, 2016
So, does anyone else here practice HEMA?

Historical European Martial Arts. Medieval fencing and that sort of stuff. I've been practicing with longsword and sword and buckler for the last six years, interested in finding out if anyone else on SA is into HEMA and, if so, how long have you been practicing and what branch do you follow? I'm a fan of the German longsword and MS I.33 sword and buckler materials myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricD
Sep 1, 2016

Novum posted:

HEMA is such an interesting idea and I don't mind when people are talking about it but actually seeing it in action is really bad.

May I ask why you think that is?

EricD
Sep 1, 2016

origami posted:

fatties swinging like bums

Yeah that's legitimately an issue. Modern HEMA has a long way to go in terms of its physical conditioning and training. I mean at the high levels of HEMA competition with guys like Ties Kool, Axel Pettersson or Jake Norwood, the fitness levels are getting much better. The need for rigorous conditioning is still sinking in at the lower levels though. We do have a lot of people without the proper fitness to perform the Art to the level that I hope to see it at.

• Locked thread