Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Just want to get this onto the first page because it's a really handy resource for people who are getting destroyed in their first month or two of BJJ classes and starting to get disheartened*: http://www.beginningbjj.com/

It might even be worth adding to the OP for people who want a more in-depth idea of what BJJ is about than an FAQ can give before committing to it.

*This does not at all describe me today after being on the wrong end of, in order; a gogoplata (the first step of which was to apply heel to face), an armbar, a rear naked choke, a kimura, a triangle and one more armbar to rub it in. In 15 minutes :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Drewjitsu posted:

From the last thread:

You might want to look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijRBmQ994yo at the very least, it's one technique, done very well.

That owns hard but BJJ newbies reading A/T probably aren't the best group to be encouraging into flying armbars. If we're going to do that, I'd put in a gif of Garza's flying triangle at UFC 129.

P.S XGuard put the BJJ writeup in the last thread into the second post in this one. It's probably too long for the first post.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Can you repost it outside quotes? I can't C/P the old one without losing the pictures and url links because I cannot quote a quote (or just tell me how to do that).

Quotes are gone on the post in the old thread. Also added the Beginning BJJ link to it.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

"The ghost who walks" posted:

I've been wondering this for a while; is there a book that explains general theories of BJJ in relation to particular positions and moves? I'm not looking for a strict instructional move boook ala Theory and Technique (Renzo & Royler Gracie), rather something that goes into the thought process that should be applied to any position and gameplan.

http://www.beginningbjj.com

The eBook covers the 6 main positions, why they're good and where you might like to transition to once you get to a certain position.

It's in the OP for a reason.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Wow and I thought judoposting was incomprehensible.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

The only thing anybody I know ever says to me if talk turns to me training BJJ is "fighting is stupid and you should just get the police to help you if someone tries to fight you." The idea of it being a sport, or fun, is completely alien and incomprehensible to them. I just call it "the gym" to avoid getting sucked into the endless cycle of "it's dumb" -> "I don't really care, it's fun" -> "You're stupid" -> Repeat.

I also make a point of trying to shut down or at least stay away from any conversation about it in public and especially around alcohol. I always friends to keep it quiet if they're discussing it because I've got a bit of a concern about what will happen if some giant shaved gorilla juicehead with 12 beers under his belt hears someone say "how is your <fighting> going?" It's especially worrying because most of my friends only mention it when they're taking the piss and asking me dumb poo poo like "could you beat Mike Tyson?"

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Don't worry about not having any wrestling skills. The best way to develop them is to get wrestled on by people who know better. You'll learn from your mistakes and pick up their tricks and it comes together after a while. "I want to get in shape/learn a thing/practice X first/don't know how to do Y" are the biggest excuses people throw up for not training a martial art they think they like. Just jump in and get started. You'll learn what you need to as you progress.

I think the general rule for any martial art is that you should expect to get beaten by everybody you train with for the first 12 months or so unless some newbies show up for you to beat on. If you try out sambo and really enjoy it, stick with it, but you won't really be very competitive in the first 6-12 months if you don't have some sort of other background. That doesn't mean it won't be all sorts of fun though. If you can't find any sambo places, look into judo, bjj or wrestling instead. Sambo includes little bits of all of them.

I get destroyed daily at BJJ training, but I still enjoy it more than any other physical activity I've ever done. The important thing about learning this sort of thing is consistency. Even if you can only go once a week, do that. You won't learn as fast as the guys who go 4-6 times a week, but if you're consistent with your attendance you will improve and feel good.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 19, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Any advice on escaping a mount or side control? I'm getting pretty decent at not ending up there in the first place, but once I'm there in pretty much hosed. I've been shown one mount escape that works for me (control an arm and leg on the same side and buck them off) but it's pretty easy to predict and avoid.

I've been shown how to try and hip escape out of side control if they aren't controlling my head and how to fix that if they are, but I guess I'm either not doing it right or they're seeing it coming and preventing it because I have never once managed to so either of these things during a roll.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

You can wear kneepads, or just harden up and deal with it.

I went with the second option when I started out a month or so ago and it isn't much of a problem at all know. If it's more than just the surface of the skin being a bit raw though, probably go for the kneepads.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

That loving sucks.

Is there any chance of going for a surgical solution and coming back in 12 months after some rehab and physio?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

How does that happen other than the dude having an inflated ego or a super tiny carotid? Was he struggling or trying to break it before he went out? Usually if they haven't tapped and also aren't actually trying to get out of a submission I ask if I'm doing it right, mainly to make sure they're still awake. It's scary when you're 99% sure you've locked something up properly but there's no reaction at all from the other person. I don't want a manslaughter charge because somebody was too proud to tap out of a choke :ohdear:

My huge BJJ revelation this week was that yes, you do get hit in the face quite often and a mouthguard is a good investment. Especially when your health insurance will cover the full cost of having a fitted one made up. I landed on my face when someone tried to sweep me and one of my canines went through my top lip. I have never seen these shades of blue and purple before in my life.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 27, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I don't think "I beat a blue belt at a comp so I just started wearing one" would get you invited to the intermediate classes where I train.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

If you want a belt where I train, you need to first be invited to grade for it, and then perform a list of techniques at such a level that your technique is spot on and you don't need any coaching or assistance to get it right. It's about technical proficiency, not tournament results. I don't get how you could possibly give yourself any rank based on that.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Why we do what we do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAAnrqDygns&t=376s

Jiu-jitsu will help solve problems of insecurity! (by breaking peoples' arms)

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I got mounted by a judo dude :(

I swept him afterwards but I still feel dirty for letting it happen in the first place.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Full mount :(

He wasn't there long, but still.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

A Brazilian jiu-jitsu or Judo session ends with 30-60 minutes of students partnering up and fighting each other with moderate (50-80%) resistance and effort. Judo calls it randori, BJJ guys generally call it rolling or sparring.

The lesson itself usually consists of a warm-up followed by students attempting an instructor demonstrated technique on each other with almost no resistance at a slow pace to ensure they're getting the technique right, then some exercises where they might start in a certain position and Student A will attempt to escape or reverse the situation while Student B will attempt to apply the technique they've just drilled. Again, light to moderate resistance.

The point is that the techniques aren't being learned inside a vacuum. They're being learned and practiced against people who are aware of what they are and how they work and how to deal with them. It also means you're getting practice in applying these techniques in a situation which is closer to a real fight, be it a competition fight or some sort of altercation.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 5, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Nierbo posted:

Can I ask how much it was under Peter de Been?

e: wow, only 100 a month? Thats really good. I was expecting around 130-150. Any contract? The one near me is in Wollongong if it matters.

Hey for what it matters, a guy I roll with regularly at Gracie Sydney (Alexandria, which is basically the airport) lives in Wollongong. He actually makes the commute.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

What the gently caress? Did I get a fracture or a bone-bruise or something? Is there anything I can do besides just not throw kicks?

It's doctor time. Stop guessing and wondering, go speak to a doctor and get an x-ray done.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I took the back of someone more experienced than me :unsmith:

I tapped them with a rear naked choke :unsmith:

It was a girl :smith:

This is going to be really hard to describe without pictures, but I have a question. I spent a good amount of time underneath someone in side control today and they were utterly determined to score a kimura, so I grabbed my belt and started looking for a way back to guard. For the life of me, I couldn't think of any way to move that didn't involve letting go of my belt and risking the kimura.

Ideas?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

swmmrmanshen posted:

I see your tapout, and raise you an accidental busted lip. Also, what do you goons think of rolling/randori with girls in general? My general principle is that they are there to be martial artists and athletes, so they don't want to be "treated like a girl" (Whatever the hell that means anymore) and treated as a peer. At the same time, if they are smaller than me, I'll treat it like working with any smaller judoka, focus on technique, move light, don't force anything.

I like going through drills and exercises with the girls because the size difference between us means that they need to get their technique close to perfect for it to work, which in turn means I get a better feel for how things are supposed to work. Rolling with them is cool from time to time too for the same reason. The reason I was all :smith: though is because I know that I took her back more through bullying her with my size advantage than anything else. If that was a guy my size or maybe one of the female blue belts it would've been highly unlikely.

Based on the aroma of what I'm 99% sure is pot eminating from her gi and her permanently relaxed demeanour though, I'm going to go ahead and wager she's pretty chill about the whole thing and enjoys the process of learning more than anything else.

Also Thoguh, I'm not 100% sure on what you're saying, but that really does sound like an express trip to Americana town. My question was more about how you could get back to guard from underneath side control while one of your arms is more or less out of commission due to not being able to let go of your belt. I think I've worked it out though, and hey surprise, it's all in the hips. Depending on where their weight is, they'll either be giving you a chance to hip escape towards the arm they're attacking and create enough space to slip a knee in between you or they'll maybe be too far over towards the arm they want to attack and will have more or less put your hips underneath them for you. I'll test it with a partner at training tomorrow (hopefully the same guy) and see how it goes.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

To annoy the poo poo out of people who think touching your face is a good thing. Like the shitlord 3 week old white belt I train with who thinks my jaw is the best place to rest his elbow. gently caress that guy.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

henkman posted:

Uh, in my school we do that a lot. Cross facing, shoulder pressure, pressing your forearm in the throat/jaw. Is that not the norm?

Doing it to annoy someone into lifting their chin or expose something to give you an opening is cool. I'm down with that. Good tactic.

Doing it with no actual end goal in mind and an expectation that it's going to make someone tap, and therefore leaning your entire body weight into it and just laying there without actually working for anything else at all: gently caress you.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Lazy Dog posted:

Eh, don't worry about it too much; I for the life of me still have problems doing forward throws with a left hand grip. Just grind it out for now, you may find something out.

Anyway, have some Yamashita vids breaking down osoto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zFicAVezU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V8odHAc1bo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-rVNeec44

We trained O Soto at BJJ the other day. This is a big help. I'm still trying to work out how people don't die from judo, though.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Senor P. posted:

I've actually been looking into getting a sub floor done for my friend's new school. My only concern is how will it effect our muay thai/kick boxing class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehb7tfvrXe8

I've dislocated a toe because of puzzle mats like he describes. They're comfortable enough to roll around on, but the cracks and gaps give me the shits.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 5, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

showbiz_liz posted:

So, it seems like a martial arts class could be pretty great for me. I want to get fit, and my friends who do BJJ say it's awesome for them. HOWEVER, I worry that I am too out of shape to actually begin- like, I would need to increase my base level of fitness to not get laughed out of the class/beaten savagely. This is PROBABLY all in my head, but it would be nice to get some insiders' perspectives on this. If I show up to, say, a beginner's BJJ class, will they turn me away/expect more of me than my body can give?

You could be marathon-runner levels of fit and you will still be embarrassingly bad at BJJ for the first 3-6 months.

I can't imagine it would actually happen, but any school that makes you feel bad for being new/bad/unfit isn't worth your time or money anyway. The instructors where I train actually tell the new guys to take it easy for their first few weeks because they don't want people overexerting themselves and blowing out all of the important BJJ muscles that nobody ever uses anywhere else for any reason.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Jenner posted:

I've got some pretty bad arthritis in my knees and shoulders, sometimes its rather painful. Is there a martial art I could still participate in to help tone up, lose weight, gain discipline, etc?

How bad is the arthritis and are you getting any sort of treatment for it? BJJ involves spending significant amounts of time with your body weight on your knees or shoulders. It doesn't matter if they're just weak or girly since they'll develop as you train more, but it might aggravate any a condition. If your shoulders are bad enough to keep you out of BJJ, you can definitely forget about judo.

You could probably manage tai chi even on days when your arthritis is playing up, though. If the thousand year old Chinese dudes who live across the road from me can get out and do it every morning at sparrow's fart, I'm sure you can too. Also consider yoga.

I know neither of those involve kicking, punching or pajama-hugging but they're probably going to be good for you anyway unless you're super keen on actually fighting. If you just want some sort of exercise and can't find any martial arts that suit you, swimming is an excellent physical activity for people with annoying injuries.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 7, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Syphilis Fish posted:

Second of all, if they sit up, why isnt a straight right landing in their face as they do so?

Are you one of those weirdos who gets off on pain and has a broken elbow fetish?

Also yay I landed an arm triangle in sparring :unsmith:

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Senor P. posted:

Do you get pissy if someone is speaking a foreign language around you, in a conversation you're not involved in?

If they're totally fluent in the language that I also speak and we're not in a country where the language I don't speak is the primary language, you're drat right I get lovely about it. It's loving rude. I don't speak Italian when people who don't speak it are around, and the only reason for that is respect for those other people.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Get a custom made, fitted mouth guard which is made specifically for your mouth. I cannot emphasise that enough. No matter what sport or martial art or whatever it is that you do, if there's a reason for you to be wearing a mouthguard, there's a reason for you to go and get one fitted. This goes 100 times over if you have any sort of special condition with regards to your teeth or jaw.

When I was a kid playing rugby in high school, we didn't have the money to get one made and I was doing more damage to the inside of my mouth with the off-the-shelf one than if I wasn't wearing one at all. The only reason I wore it is because they wouldn't let me play without it. It was horrible. I still don't have the money but I found a way to claim it on my health insurance and have it cost $0. In Australia at least, they're something like $100-$150 if you have to pay for it.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Neurosis posted:

I appear to have contracted molluscum contagiosum. I know this takes a long time to go away. I don't particularly want to stop training for 6 months - 2 years.

It's all over my forearm. What precautions should I take to stop from spreading it to other people?

A friend of mine had this once, so I asked him what he thought.

First, see a doctor. Lasers are good at killing it, apparently.

Second, tell whoever runs your gym. Someone else probably has it and has no idea they're spreading some poo poo to other people. They might think they just have gross skintags or something for some reason.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 27, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Stabbing Spork posted:

Jean Charles Skarbowsky is teaching at my gym tonight and tomorrow. He's been in town since last week, and so far he's chipped a few teeth, bruised a few ribs, and handed out plenty of hematomas.

I've been going to the gym for less than 2 months, so I'm not going to be sparring with him, so I should be ok.

I hope he's drunk :allears:

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Nierbo posted:

If anyone's interested, here a documentary on Fedor:
http://watchdocumentary.tv/fedor-emelianenko-the-baddest-man-on-the-planet-documentary/

After seeing him dive head first into Werdum's triangle and get his face caved in by Silva, that title just doesn't really seem apt anymore :smith:

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I took almost a month off training due to a combination of exams and the flu. I wanted to train while I was sick but I didn't want to be that guy who infected an entire gym.

After just two sessions back I am currently dealing with: a sore neck as a result of an arm triangle, a pulled groin as a result of a guard pass, a sore shoulder as a result of gently caress knows what, two toes that feel like they were dislocated but weren't and a calf muscle that seems to have forgotten training ended almost 24 hours ago now and the cramp it had yesterday can go away now.

I wish I knew why this poo poo is so addictive, because I can't wait to go back on Friday :unsmith:

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is not the correct thing to do, but I am an rear end in a top hat. I enjoy riling people up and can't stop myself. Afterwards, I would've sat down and said to myself "you loving idiot, you should've stayed quiet".

Since I've gotten more confident in recent years, I've started calling them out if I'm in line behind them, and they have a tendency to freeze up and not know what to do, because they came here to order some teenagers around and suddenly an adult is telling them that they're acting like children. Simply bringing attention to their behaviour is often enough to really gently caress with their day.

If I ever start posting from a wheelchair you'll all know why. I should also point out that I'm in a relatively friendly part of Australia: nobody will ever have a gun, and our self-defense laws are sensible.

This is me. You're me. Stop being me!

I don't know how many times I've walked away from a verbal confrontation which by any judgement I won thinking "gently caress you're stupid" but if I see someone getting pushed around who isn't in a position to tell the other person to gently caress off even though it's entirely justified, I can't hold back. Bus drivers especially. Nothing shits me more than someone who stands next to a bus driver while he's trying to drive and berates him for being 34 seconds late while the bus driver just sits there apologising over and over again. Not only are you an rear end in a top hat, you're distracting someone who's driving a vehicle with 20 or more people on board.

I rarely ever think of it escalating to a physical confrontation, nor do I want it to, but I can't abide how hard some people berate people who are "beneath" them (read: can't tell them to get hosed for fear of job loss).

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 22, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Cyphoderus posted:

Here's a really stupid question, but bear with me I'm just getting started.

How much of BJJ actually requires "no strength at all"? I mean, obviously, everything goes better when you're stronger; aside from this. A lot of times my teacher says something like "and maintaining this position doesn't even require any strength! At all!" And I've heard this from many people about many different moves. It's just that everyone who says that something doesn't need strength happens to be, conveniently, really loving strong in all the muscles you'd need if the movement did indeed require strength.

The strength it requires is more about moving your own body to certain positions than about manipulating the opponent.

Certain movements and techniques, sweeps from guard and the bottom of the mount, require you to control a couple of limbs on the opponent, which requires almost no strength, but also to then move your own body in a certain way which sometimes requires a bit of strength from you just to get through the motions with enough explosiveness that the opponent won't have time to re-establish his balance before its too late for him. It usually isn't a lot, but it's more than 0.

Short version: BJJ is the combative application of sit-ups.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

The Strength and Conditioning Journal released an issue focused on combat sports:

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/pages/currenttoc.aspx

Does anybody have access to these? The periodicals at my university library are delayed by six months so I won't be able to read it until May next year :(

"Strength and Conditioning for Grappling Sports," "Dietary Supplements Used in Combat Sports," "Applications of Kettlebells in Exercise Program Design," and "Nutrition and Hydration Issues for Combat Sport Athletes" all sound awesome and incredibly useful based on their abstracts.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

A gi gives your opponent something to hang on to and control you with as well as offering up a few extra submission options. If your opponent wears one and you don't, you can grab onto it and use it to gain better leverage, maintain a position with more certainty or sink in a choke that just isn't an option for them.

Antinumeric posted:

I have a question about general martial arts teaching attitude. Why is does there seem to be an attitude that you need to demonstrate that you are much better than people who are just starting / below you. I saw a few quotes earlier in the thread about "breaking" people who are new (with context of holds iirc). Why is there this approach? It was very off-putting to me- I know as a beginner that you are probably much better than me, you don't need to constantly beat me to demonstrate this.

What the robot said, basically.

I can't speak for anything but my own admittedly limited experiences with BJJ, but my experience as a BJJ newbie has been nothing but positive. My instructors are chilled out and the guys with more experience than me are more than happy to take the time to answer questions or help clarify things. I came in with humility and an open mind and I was welcomed emphatically. Its been great.

We do get the occasional muscle head come in to try it out and sometimes it does take them a while to learn a bit of that humility and open mindedness. Maybe they're dumb but it generally isn't until they've been thoroughly dominated that they start to settle down and start wondering why it is they keep passing out while people are adjusting their collars for them. Where I train, newbies aren't allowed to roll for the first week or two, until an instructor feels like they aren't a danger to themselves or others, but there's always going to be that guy who wants to go hell for leather and do some serious damage because he saw or on TV. Those are the guys people talk about "breaking in."

It's about establishing respect. Newbies need to respect the fact that they've just dipped their toe into the shallow end of a very deep pool. If they don't, they gently caress with other people and disrupt their learning, which is unacceptable.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 21, 2011

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

For what it's worth, the brazillians in my classes always call both of those armlocks a Kimura. When I asked why they said because that's what it's called in brazil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

swmmrmanshen posted:

Don't southpaws have the disadvantage of having a much more exposed liver? Liver punches are scary, and watching Brock Lesnar, a man with a fairly impressive physique if nothing else get KTFOed by a liver kick makes me think those are even more upsetting.

To be fair, his guts are all shot to poo poo from two rounds of diverticulitis and accompanying surgeries. Someone should tell him you can't just live on jerky.

The dumb thing is that he knew this and still decided to have a kickboxing match with Alistair "I loving love kickboxing" Overeem.

• Locked thread