Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
This thread title from a few pages back in the old thread was better "Ask / Tell: The Martial Arts Thread: I was winning the fight until I died" :colbert:

nice work on the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Drewjitsu posted:

From the last thread:

You might want to look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijRBmQ994yo at the very least, it's one technique, done very well.

I'd marry that girl. That was great

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

kimbo305 posted:

I want to point out to MMA newbies that that is not how GSP usually strikes, and I have no idea why he downgraded his own game like that. He was windmilling before he got the eye injury.

yeah I had the same opinion watching the fight. He kept swinging for the fences like a maniac instead of using his usual approach. I think he knew shields wasn't any good standing up and watching videos they thought he could catch him with a big overhand somehow.

Seemed very weird to me and it wasn't all that successful. All his good hits were straight punches and supermans.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

KidDynamite posted:

Have a friendly spar and punch him in the face?

That.

Just ask him for a friendly fight. Throw some punches to show him that he can't catch them, then hug him, bring him to the ground and armbar him.

But mostly he won't change his mind.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I'm the king at injuring myself! My thumb holded up fine so that makes me happy, but yesterday I got hit square in the jaw by an elbow and it doesn't feel good today. Eating won't be fun for the next week or so! Anyway, going back to judo after 2 weeks off felt great. I had an horrible day (I'm a substitute teacher and had the worst groups ever + 2 flat tires on my car) and everything was good once I triangled someone and felt them tap. I really don't know how I'd survive if I had a serious injury and had to leave judo forever.

On the other hand, coach had a lot of good words on my judo yesterday. He told me he looked at what I was doing since Christmas and he thought I was really personalizing my judo and really building a style of my own. He's starting to use me as an example when he teach people how to defend ground attacks because people don't seem to know what to do against my horrible triangle and weak-rear end armbar. Judo self-esteem level up :ssj:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
gently caress I love triangling people.

I know it's not the first time I say it but, I really don't understand how I could cope with life before I started doing judo.

edit : For all those weapon talks, in my mind shield and sword beats everything :colbert:

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 18, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bohemian Nights posted:

That is basically what I've had to do. I can get the position plenty, it's finishing it I struggle with. I've turned it into either armbars, or even more commonally, a mounted triangle. I seem to have a high percentage on that, for some reason.

Have any video of the switch between the triangle and armbar? When I try to switch it's always a big fail for me.

What really helped me getting a better triangle is switching to the side more. Now I will usually grab the leg of the person I'm triangling to get the good angle and keep them from running away too much. I do sometime end up in a mounted triangle, but I like those too!

But hey, I'm against judokas who sometime make the-worst-pass TM where they basically give me a triangle.

Anyway, I really worked hard to get an ok triangle. I've been doing that thing for the past two years every chance I get and I've only been starting to catch a lot of people in it 2 months ago or so but I'm a huge streak. Let's hope they never learn how to defend against it!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Smegmatron posted:

Any advice on escaping a mount or side control? I'm getting pretty decent at not ending up there in the first place, but once I'm there in pretty much hosed. I've been shown one mount escape that works for me (control an arm and leg on the same side and buck them off) but it's pretty easy to predict and avoid.

I've been shown how to try and hip escape out of side control if they aren't controlling my head and how to fix that if they are, but I guess I'm either not doing it right or they're seeing it coming and preventing it because I have never once managed to so either of these things during a roll.

I'm not really good from there either, but I really like to try to catch one of their legs to go back in half-guard when someone gets side control on me.

So, I either shrimp to get parallel to them so I can bridge and turn them over or I shrimp to get parallel to them and catch one of their legs with mine to go in half guard.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

henkman posted:

Like everyone else said, it will harden itself eventually and you won't got matburn as bad anymore. However I'm a pussy and wear a knee cover on my right knee because that poo poo hurts.

Knee covers or knee pad are still a good idea. It takes a while for the skin of your knees to harden up so you won't have to live through the grossness and pain. Also, they help keep your knee warm so you don't injure them and that's definitely a good thing.

Toes on the other I'd just wait 'till they harden up. You could always tape them but unless they are actually injured I think this would be over the top.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
gently caress... Wish you the best of luck Adolfo. Let's hope you can come back to the sport in a few months.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Smegmatron posted:

How does that happen other than the dude having an inflated ego or a super tiny carotid? Was he struggling or trying to break it before he went out? Usually if they haven't tapped and also aren't actually trying to get out of a submission I ask if I'm doing it right, mainly to make sure they're still awake. It's scary when you're 99% sure you've locked something up properly but there's no reaction at all from the other person. I don't want a manslaughter charge because somebody was too proud to tap out of a choke :ohdear:

My huge BJJ revelation this week was that yes, you do get hit in the face quite often and a mouthguard is a good investment. Especially when your health insurance will cover the full cost of having a fitted one made up. I landed on my face when someone tried to sweep me and one of my canines went through my top lip. I have never seen these shades of blue and purple before in my life.

I know I almost passed out once because I was trying to get out and failed. Everything was fine until I started to feel lightheaded and tapped as fast as I could. I was probably 1 sec away from being out so it definitely can "surprise" you I think if you don't recognize the signs.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Adolfo Castro posted:

:words:

gently caress man, Good luck to you. That's the kind of thing that scare the gently caress out of me. I'm good at injuring myself, I'm so worried something like that is going to happen to me sooner or later

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
loving hurt my back yesterday. Hoping it's just a muscle being an rear end in a top hat, gonna train tomorow if it feels right.

I'm on an injury streak right now, I get to injure myself every 3 weeks!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Yay my back survived my judo class yesterday without any trouble! Ok, triangling people wasn't a good idea, but except that all was perfectly fine.

No more injuries now please war gods!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

tarepanda posted:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it since all of my other plans got screwed.

Edit: I'm not seeing anything. Is it restricted by country or something?

I can watch individual mats but that's all. The main video isn't working for me either

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bohemian Nights posted:

I can confirm this. I come from a full contact high TJJ club with very dedicated training partners, with grappling, striking, throws, takedowns and sparring every class-- compared to the TJJ club I mentioned a couple of posts ago, the difference is night and day.

You'll basically have to show up and check it out, but I have a feeling that nine out of ten times, like so many other TMA's, it'll be for kids or terrible.

I'm of this opinion too. There's a JJJ class after my judo class and their poo poo is mostly dumb bullshit but I've seen another JJJ class somewhere else and it was good enough (well the grappling part, can't comment on the striking).

With this and mostly any other martial art, look for sparring. If there's a lot of real, full resistance, training then it's probably not utter bullshit.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

zalmoxes posted:

I bruised a rib in judo class and everything hurts tonight, including taking a breath.

Take this seriously. Don't be afraid to take time off or you'll regret it. I had the same thing happen last year and it took a solid month to feel ok doing sports and a little more to do judo.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Illegal Username posted:

If you have any trouble breathing get to a doctor now now now

yeah this also. Some pain in the rib while taking very deep breath is "normal" if you have a bruised rib. But if you can't take deep breath because it's too painful and/or just regular breathing is painful you need to see a doctor right now.

This could mean that one of your rib is poking your lung which means you could die. Dying is no fun so go see a doctor if breathing is painful/difficult.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

zalmoxes posted:

Thanks guys, but it's not that bad. I can breathe fine, but if I take a deep breath or I roll on my left side in bed it's painful. I'll probably take the rest of the week off and see if it's better.

I was in a similar situation and felt just like you and decided to not see a doctor and I was fine/didn't die. So I understand your choice, but remember to force yourself to take a very deep breath a few times a day. I think you can develop some sort of problem with your lung if you don't.

Anyway, 1 week off is not enough if you have a bruised rib. Where is it exactly? If it's one of the floating rib you definitely need to go see a doctor now no matter how good you think you are feeling. If it's not then you're much safer. Remember to give it plenty of time to heal, mine came back to haunt me (I had a fair bit of pain everytime anyone put his weight on me, which is 100% of the time during newaza)and I almost yelled in pain when some guy rammed me with his knee for some knee on belly action.

If you don't give it time to heal, you could have it resurface every now and then which definitely sucks more than taking some time off.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Last session I did randori with a guy I call 'the rock' because he's immovable by my hand and he doesn't like to move of his own volition either. He's a blue belt, bout 5'9 and probably about 100kg and can harai goshi me at will. He just holds me away with one arm and we just stand there like idiots for 3 minutes until time is called. I'm exagerrating a bit but I wish he'd move around and let me practice whatever basic white belt thing I'm focusing on that week, it almost like he's in the exact same position at the end of randori as when we started. Its not like I'm going to pose some threat anyway,

Force him to move. I know that's not easy, but focus on that. There's a guy like that at my dojo and and I will push/pull him like a maniac and run around to force him to move. I also try to piss him off with a little bit of grip fighting to force him to move to get a good grip on me. It's hard, but keep at it and it will end up working. You'll bite the mat more often than not, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Also, what Xguard said.

quote:

I yank on his lapell and try to kick his ankle, I suppose that works with limited success.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat either, learn how to play his game or how to force him how of his game. It's not Shiai, don't start doing dirty tricks. If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, resort to lot's of suicide throws. Tomoe Nage works ridiculously well on guys like that.

quote:

Back to your point, screw stiff guys! (not in the gay way)

rjderouin posted:

Does anyone else get frustrated when you are doing randori with someone else and they are really stiff? I was like that in the beginning too but I eventually learned to stop. Being stiff leaves you open to so many attacks that randori just becomes stagnated.

Tell them they are stiff. In my opinion, everywhite belt and a large % of yellow belt are stiff during randori. I needed about 2 years to learn how to no be stiff. It's just the natural way my body answered to the stress of randori. Now when I'm fighting people who are stiff I always tell them to relax their arms. They are wasting their time and yours fighting with stiff arms, nothing wrong with asking them to loosen up.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swmmrmanshen posted:

The most annoying randori parter in my club is a guy who simply refuses to let you get a sleeve grip. He doesnt take on either, but pretty much just stalls and drops.

Makes you wonder why he bothers doing randori. It's ok to be afraid of falling in "real" fights, but just sit on the side of the mat if you don't want to spar.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

It's a class management thing. If guys are constantly leaving to go get a drink on their own then it is disruptive to practice and you also don't know if they are breaking off because they are hurt, or because they are thirsty. Most place I've worked out at give water breaks every once in a while and if anybody needs more than they just ask one of the black belts (not because they are going to say no, but so they know why you're breaking off from the workout). That seems to work the best.

That's how I see it too.

You can get a quick sip of water any time you want if you have a water bottle on the table at the entrance of the dojo, but be quick because someone is losing time not training because you (if you need a break you say it and it's ok of course). Every couple of drill we have some time to drink. If you have to get out of the room we're in to go drink or catch some air the teacher insist that you must ask him first and will get pissed if you don't. Not that he'll ever say no or that he's on a power trip, it's just for security reason so no one suffers a small concussion goes in the hallway, lose consciousness and is only found 20 minutes later.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

On another note, I passed grading tonight at Judo. As I'm not a member of the IJF, I don't actually get the belt or have it registered at HQ, but I get it as soon as I pony up the registration money. Thanks to everyone that has helped me on here and answered my silly questions over the past 7 months, specifically xguard, thoguh and colliwog. And even Syphilis Fish sometimes too. And tarepanda :D I really had some muscle memory on some of the throws and didn't have to think at all in terms of steps and I put them together fluidly. Its only yellow but its nice to have taken the first step.

Congrats dude, told you you'd make it. Getting to yellow is the hardest step since people usually step out before yellow because of how hard and painful judo can be, congrats for hanging in there. You'll see, things are just starting to get fun right now and simply get better all the time. I'm only green belt now and every single class has been more fun than the last since I begun training. I'm happy I could help.

It's pretty normal for your basic front throws to be the best. My ippon/o goshi were by far my best on my yellow belt exam. Unfortunately, Ippon seio is probably my worst throw now (don't know what happened haha).

Definitely work on your Ouchi/Ko ouchi gari, these are invaluable in randori in combinations since they can just link to and from most throws. It was one of my weak moves and I thought it was almost useless and boring at first and now I just catch people left and right with a simple straight up ko uchi all the time. I really think it's one of the moves people should focus now matter what. It's one of the throws that just piss people off when I go do BJJ, people feel insulted that they keep falling from such a simple throw, hell I could even force a purple belt who's much bigger than me to pull guard "at will" with it I felt so badass. It's particularly strong in conjonction with Ippon seio and uchi mata and I would suggest that you work on ko uchi to ippon or ippon to ko uchi in randori so you can feel the power of the ko uchi and get motivation to learn how to do it well.

congrats once again

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Last judo class for the summer tonight... noooooo :(. I really hate that my club closes for the summer. I might join another club for the summer, but it's much more expensive so I'm not sure I want to. I'll either do that or focus on my strenght/cardio all summer. My challenge for tonight is to get at least 3 triangle chokes and one uchi mata during randori!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 21, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have THE BEST GRIP tm. I can open any jar that was ever created, no one can even think about escaping once I catch them, I can crush anyones hand during what they thought would be a casual handshake, the world is mine! My forearms are now as big as my biceps! Fear my grip bitches FEAR IT!

In other news, I'm so happy because I found a place to train this summer. Only once a week, but that's still much better than being off for 2 months. Gonna focus on my conditioning for the summer.

Thoguh posted:

Teaching stuff makes you really sit back and understand stuff so much better, because you have to sit down (figuratively) and think through every single step of the technique and identify what you are doing wrong and how to correct it. When I started teaching is really when I started truly understanding, rather than just doing, techniques.

This is 100% true for anything in life. I'm a high school teacher and I found that teaching stuff is really the best way to learn them.

I love it when our coach "forces" us to show a technique to the rest of the group. He'll say something like : ok so we're going to work on chokes. And then everyone pairs up with someone and we all have to show a technique of our choice to the rest of the group and he'll correct us when we gently caress up. I always find that really helpful.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 26, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how blue my belt is.

Congrats!

Fontoyn posted:

:words:

Judo is fun and cardio is very important. My favorite completely non-related cardio training for judo is something like that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7QGK-yTb4&feature=related I take a break after I've done a set of everything though instead of doing another run through it like he does. It really doesn't look that hard until you actually do it!

I was also wondering how good wrestler would be and we had 2 that came to our club and while they were much better than the average white belt, one was may be around orange belt level and the other one around green belt level (and shooting for the legs wasn't prohibited). It's not that hard to sprawl and once your on the ground wrestlers have the same problem than any begginers have when they are faced with chokes and arm bars. Things that are probably very good and very safe to do on the ground in wrestling can put you in a very bad spot in judo.

Basically, they have a huge advantage over newbies, but unless they are state level champions it won't matter that much after some years have passed. The biggest thing going for them most of the time is that they move well/fast and have very good conditionning.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

zalmoxes posted:

So I wrote a while back my rib was hurting. I was stubborn and didn't stop practicing because I didn't think it was that serious. Luckily I was right and it's healed by now. Friday was the first class where I could practice and not feel like someone landed a sledgehammer on me every time I had my chest touched.

Speaking of getting injured, I think my body is better overall at taking a beating, so I can shrug off pain the next day and go back to class.

That,s great. I had the same experience. 1 year after the incident the rib started to hurt again and took like 2 months to heal (when I finally had to stop training for 2 weeks because of finals) so I suggest you stop for a week or two if it ever hurts again.

--

Two days before I go train at a new club for the summer (cause mine is closed) I'm sort of stressed of training with a new coach since I only have experience at 1 club. Can't wait to see what is different, etc. I just hope it's as fun and relaxed as the one I'm going to right now!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 3, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Office Sheep posted:

Come to think of it I don't know if I would want to do judo with the kind of people that go to the BJJ club I attend because they would throw like it's a competition every day.

I get hurt more when we do judo throws at BJJ than when we do them at Judo. It's about as painful with BJJ people as it is with white belts. Once people get to orange or green belt their throws start to hurt a whole lot less.

Also yeah, BJJ tends to attract more of the I GOTTA SLAM YOU AS HARD AS I loving CAN EVERY loving TIME WE TRAIN ANYTHING! type of people

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Whats the tatami like at bjj? Harder than judo gyms use?

It's usually wrestling mats which are much softer than judo mats. Really not as fun to fall on as tatami. We use wrestling mat to cover the walls at my dojo and I'm so happy we don't have to fall on that

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Office Sheep posted:

I like tatami better for groundwork as well. Are wrestling mats just cheaper or more available? Do people prefer wrestling mats?

I think they are WAY cheaper. Tatami's are so expensive it's ridiculous.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

showbiz_liz posted:

So, it seems like a martial arts class could be pretty great for me. I want to get fit, and my friends who do BJJ say it's awesome for them. HOWEVER, I worry that I am too out of shape to actually begin- like, I would need to increase my base level of fitness to not get laughed out of the class/beaten savagely. This is PROBABLY all in my head, but it would be nice to get some insiders' perspectives on this. If I show up to, say, a beginner's BJJ class, will they turn me away/expect more of me than my body can give?

It's the best thing you can do for yourself. Also no one will care that you are horribly unfit, most people in the beginners class tend to be. Doing some competitive martial arts like BJJ will also give you additional motivation to do some conditioning. One of my friend who was similar to you (5'9, around 140 pounds of bones and skin) started judo 3 months ago and he really wasn't into sports at all. Now he will come to the gym with me because he has a motivation to do so.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Went to another club for the first time today. Instructor has one of those fancy white and red belt and seems to know his stuff quite a bit. Also The majority of students are brown and black belts which is always nice. They just moved to a new space so the mats weren't ready yet (only the padding that goes below it, which was covered in some vinyl) so we only did groundwork and I learned a few new neat tricks.

Also turns out I'm pretty freaking flexible. I knew it since my usual coach calls me rubberman, well during my second randori the coach passes by and goes "well, you're quite flexible, that's a good thing" or something like that. It made me feel all fuzy inside.

Anyway, there's a japanese dude that trains there and he only speaks japanese and english (I'm in Quebec) it was his birthday and it was celebrated by him being thrown by everyone one after the other. I thought it was a cool idea.

TLDR new club seems cool but much more expensive than my old (ridiculous cheap) one.

---

gently caress swagger :( I don't know what to tell you, I was one of the guys who told you to stop for a very loving long time after a dislocation before the second one happens fast and then you're very susceptible to a third [...]. It sucks so much that the worst actually happened to you. I really don't know what to tell you, this will all be about juggling with the risks. I have no idea what I would do in your situation, best of luck

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 6, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swmmrmanshen posted:

Yeah, those 6th Dans may know a few tricks.

I guess. Looking at his pedigree on the club website and he was a referee at the sydney Olympics in 2000, that's pretty cool too.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Never trust a ref

I'm not sure if you're serious here? To me reffing in high level competitions is an asset for a coach. Keep in mind I'm mostly doing sport judo.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Xguard86 posted:

I dunno how long you've been training but once you get past a a year or two, you will have people you actually know and could consider a friend.

Low level people come and go so frequently, you really won't get a chance to make friends until you move into the higher ranks.

My old instructor kept track of the stats for people at his school. Only one person in like 200 ever makes it to purple belt, that came out to like one guy ever 2-3 months staying for more than 2 years. However, 75% of purples made it to black at that school, at he said that most people who aren't a BB under him are people who moved and still ended up black belts under someone else.

Yeah, I think BJJ/Judo is very polarizing in a way. You'll either love it so much you keep thinking about it all the time and will never quit unless forced to or you'll wonder why people are crazy enough to think being thrown and submitted is in any way shape or form fun.

I've been at my club for may be 4 years I'm not sure anymore and in the advanced class for 2-3 years and the people I'm training with are becoming friends. We're planning some nice group activities for the summer and I will run with one, go for a drink with another one, etc. Like Xguard said, the key is to get to the advanced class where you'll always train with the same group of people for a long period of time. In the begginers class there's too much people coming and going.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Mva-3n7TY

This is all I can think of any time I hear any discussion on the subject of punching balls in MA

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Wow, going to a new dojo is such a great experience.

1=> My throws that never work because everyone knows how I play work all the time, that's so much fun
2=> It's so much fun to fight with new people/get to know new people
3=> You learn new tricks that you wouldn't have otherwise.

If anyone has the opportunity, I highly suggest you do it!

--

Also, I just started using underhooks in judo and I love it. I'll get a regular right handed grip. Then with my left hand I'll let go of their sleeve and go for the underhook and hip throw from the left. This is working really well for me right now, anyone else has experience with that?

--

I need a good way to break the closed guard... I was fighting against a black belt (girl) and she was owning me with her closed guard, I was sort of ashamed. Any good idea that would be judo legal? I tried log splitter and passing both elbows to no avail

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 13, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I'm starting to like doing my throw on the left while keeping a regular righthanded grip. My favorite moves so far to do this way is ippon seio nage. I'll grip the colar with my right hand and keep my body sideways so they can't grip me with their own right hand. I then push/pull (mainly sideways) and may be throw a foot sweep if I see something to force them to move. When they move toward me or to my right, I'll seio, keeping my right hand on their collar and basically doing a ippon seio nage on my own arm.

This is proving very effective for me at the moment and I was wondering if there is other stuff similar to this I could try. Or anything from the "one handed" right hand on their collar grip.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Seriously are we going to have that loving argument again? It really hasn't been that long... We also just had an argument about aikido and who would win between Bruce Lee and Tyson (seriously? What was that)... I think we had enough stupid arguments in the last few pages.

Thoguh post was all in plain English with only the name of specific techniques in Japanese. Is he suppose to loving describe every technique or just come up with his own English names for them? I'm pretty happy he didn't since I'm not a native English speaker and that's much clearer to me.

Thoguh posted:

Left sided drop ippon from a right handed grip is one of my favorite techniques. I like to set it up with a Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi with my right foot. If they sprawl back with both legs the left sided drop ippon is wide open. If they just do a small step back then I like to continue through with my momentum into a Harai Makikomi.

I also really like to do ko-soto-gake on the side with the collar grip, especially late in the day when people are getting tired. If you can get an angle on them and then trap the leg with the ko-soto, pretty much all you have to do is push and fall down with them.

Thanks, will definitely try that. I have great hope of the ko-soto in particular and it will give me another direction to throw people in. I'm already pretty big on hiza guruma on the collar grip side as a "force them to move" technique, I'll try to combo it with harai makikomi. This should all be fun!

tarepanda posted:

That sasae tsurikomi ashi was beautiful.

It really was. Have you seen the size of those guy? And he just flew like a feather.

Paul Pot posted:

how about we just agree not to talk about judo at all because it doesn't work
:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Also I got the mother fuckin sweetest seio nage into kouchi gari. It felt incredible.
Are you the one I suggested that combo to a couple weeks ago? If so, isn't it great? Enjoy it while it last because everyone in your club will get a clue soon enough, but it still remains one of, if not my, favorite combo.

--

For the question that was 2-3 page ago before some new argument poped up, my favorite techniques are
Kouchi gari because it's just ridiculously effective, quick and can link into almost anything.
Some technique I can't remember the name of, where your on someone side, you sort of hug them, put one of your legs behind his and then fall to your side/his back. This is the throw that gets me the most ippon by far.
Uchi mata : so good with kouchi gari and a beauty when you manage to do it perfectly. (almost never for me)
On the ground I'm very partial to the triangle choke and I love me some lapel chokes.

--

Congrats on the brown belt! I didn't even know there was a brown belt in BJJ! 5 days a week for 5.5 years is definitely a lot of time devoted to something so yeah, that's a great accomplishment!

Talking of belt I'm curious, what is everyone and in what? Also, how much do you train and since when?

I'll start first.

I'm green belt in judo. I train twice a week on average and I've been training for 4 years I think. I was hoping to get my black belt when I would get 30 years old (just turned 26) but that doesn't seem likely. Right now I'm gunning for my brown belt when I get 30 and black belt some time after that!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 18, 2011

• Locked thread