Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Fencers would dominate your theoretical sport, because fencing is all about dancing around at long range and tapping each other in annoying places, though most of the attacks wouldn't translate into doing any actual damage in a real swordfight.

I hate myself for typing the words "real swordfight" on the internet.

edit: also no disrespect to fencing, I fenced for five years myself.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm talking out of my rear end here so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think samurai were largely an administrative class. There were no doubt some badass swordsmen among them, but it's not like every single one was born and bred to be a killing machine.

Europeans, on the other hand, were angry dandies who loved stabbing each other over imagined slights and avenging each other. Duelling could've been a bigger part of western culture than eastern culture, I don't know.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wimps, in other words.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Awful. What was the original injury that caused it? What technique or whatever?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I put somebody to sleep with a triangle tonight. Pretty scary, really, because there was no sign he was unconscious except for the little voice in my head saying "they've usually tapped by now". He started snoring when we laid him flat, but with his eyes glassy and open. It was weeeeeird.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

How does that happen other than the dude having an inflated ego or a super tiny carotid? Was he struggling or trying to break it before he went out? Usually if they haven't tapped and also aren't actually trying to get out of a submission I ask if I'm doing it right, mainly to make sure they're still awake. It's scary when you're 99% sure you've locked something up properly but there's no reaction at all from the other person. I don't want a manslaughter charge because somebody was too proud to tap out of a choke :ohdear:

When I have a triangle not-quite-on I sometimes kick them over sideways and tighten it on the way over. What I think happened is, I was sitting there wondering what I was doing wrong (when I actually had it on), and kicked/tightened it, but the moment I kicked him over was the moment he tried to tap.

The other guy isn't particularly prideful, it was just bad luck, I think. He has no idea, he has a neat little 30 second memory gap.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Senor P. posted:

Shock doctor tends to be pretty popular among folks here. This is what I used to use, http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/core-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx

I've got one of these, I rate them. They kind of float so it doesn't bother you most of the time, but it's there when it needs to be. Only piece of advice is to weird underwear underneath the compression shorts, to keep your junk in order beneath it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

Why we do what we do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAAnrqDygns&t=376s

Jiu-jitsu will help solve problems of insecurity! (by breaking peoples' arms)

This whole video is pretty fascinating. I wonder if they really had that much of a standing focus back then, or they're just putting on a show for the camera.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What's the deal with cultivating calluses? I keep tearing skin off my hands while grabbing gi's. The top of the third joint of each finger is constantly covered in scabs, will it be detrimental if I moisturise them, or should I cover them in tape, or what? I want to encourage them to get more callus-y, they're just not getting enough time between sessions to completely heal up.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Comrade_Robot posted:

Check how you're gripping; I used to have more developed calluses when I first started out, because I was gripping people really really hard all the time. How are you gripping?

Really, really hard. Spider guard.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

lambskin posted:

Alright goons I have a question. Is ninjitsu really that bad? I know very little about martial arts, but I have taken a few ninjitsu classes in my area.

I mean you no offence so I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but this is as straight as I can tell it. The biggest problem is that there's very little record of ninjas. We only vaguely know that they existed, and only because japanese warlords used to accuse each other of deploying dishonorable assassins before an honorable battle, to insult each other.

Ninjitsu's a Japanese Jiujitsu offshoot, about sixty or seventy years old, that claims to be a secret ancient style of death from a thousand years ago. Their teaching style is one that refuses to spar properly or test anything they learn under pressure. This'd all be fine and nobody would be bothered, but members of the Bujinkan schools in particular are really vocal on the internet about how amazing and undefeatable their style is, and how the rest of us lowly plebes simply cannot comprehend it. They could never show you what makes their style so powerful though, because it's "too deadly" to demonstrate. They would never spar with you, because you'd be dead so fast it wouldn't be fair, etc.

They focus a lot on some kind of philosophical development or something, I don't know, so if you're into that, all power to you. If it's a good workout and you enjoy that, all power to you. But it's a pretty safe bet that what you're learning isn't very effective in terms of actually learning to fight in physical combat, and six months in a boxing gym will make you more dangerous than six years in the average ninjitsu school.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How do those chain gyms like Gracie Barra work? Do the crazy rules like that come down from some higher-up? All the gyms around here are affiliated loosely with whoever taught them, but they don't receive orders from on high or anything.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

God, that site is sickening.

At the Gracie Barra schools we will teach you Gracie Barra Jiu-jitsu which was a system developed by Helio Gracie-Barra. Be sure to drink plenty of Gracie Barra Elite Hydro-Water while you train on the Gracie Barra Mat at the Gracie Barra gym.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I quite liked "The Art of Fighting Without Fighting" and "The Fence" by Geoff Thompson. Short and sweet, theory more than technique.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFM-xRKbSec

I'm gonna take up Judo in a few months time when I have a bit more free time. Pretty pumped for it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Japanese Jujitsu is an umbrella word that contains a hundred different martial arts in it, basically. Judo is one particularly successful school, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is one particularly successful spin off school of that. At a JJJ school you might be learning some bizarre mcdojo bullshit or you might be learning something completely awesome, hard to say.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Goddamnit, I've got to lose half a kilo in 24 hours for a BJJ comp. They measure you right before you get on the mat, so I'm going to either be dehydrated or half starved when I roll. Derp.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah, I was.. uhh... eating fibrous. I'm just mad at myself because I had weeks to lose the amount but came up short.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Seriously, half a kilo? Even if you were already totally dehydrated you'd float more than that overnight.

Just eat a small supper tonight and don't have anything to drink tommorow morning until you've checked your weight. But keep in mind that their scale might not totally agree with yours, so giving yourself some buffer is a good idea.

Do they weigh you in for every match, or just the first one?

Just the first one. It's doable and it probably won't affect me much in the match, but I needed to whinge. I really like cheeseburgers, man. A lot. I'm a fat man in a small man's body.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There is actually a sub, an organ crusher or something, I don't know a proper name for it, but if you get your left leg so far across his back that you can grab it with your right hand, and at the same time you get your right leg so far across his back that you can grab it with your left hand, and you pull down on both your ankles and bridge. You would have to have your feet really really extremely far across his back to do it, though. He's talking out his rear end, in a closed guard you want them crossed most of the time.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think everyone respects karate again since Lyoto Machida smashed his way up the UFC ladder. Even if Shogun kind of humiliated him later, Machida showed that there was nothing wrong with the martial art, it was just the lovely way it's usually taught. I mean, he crosstrained a shitload obviously, but he showed that he could stand and strike with boxers and muay thai guys and pick them apart with pure karate. If someone does the same thing with TKD, it'll have my respect too.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nierbo posted:

Do any BJJ tourneys exist where you can't use judo throws?

BJJ doesn't have a strictly defined set of rules that determines what BJJ is, like Judo does. Not a rip on Judo, because the minimal syllabus is part of the genius of it, but BJJ's a different beast. A lot of BJJ techniques are also Judo techniques, also Sambo techniques, also wrestling techniques, whatever.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Look it up on youtube, a sprawl is a super basic wrestling/bjj/everything manoevre to counter double and single leg takedowns.

Nierbo posted:

Ah okay, thats what I thought. I can't imagine that ever being useful in judo though which is why I thought I had it wrong.

You do have it wrong. You have it so, so wrong. Further up this page there are twelve attacks from sprawl control, all based off one setup (I didn't watch it all the way through, but I assume they are all based on the peruvian necktie). You've also got guillotines (arm in or arm out), d'arce chokes, anaconda chokes, arm triangles, and that's before you even start moving around. I'm only a white belt and I always freeze up when I get sprawl control because there are so many attacks I can do from there that I can't decide what I want to try.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 25, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

At the same time, to attract more girls to the gym you have to try your hardest not to scare them off. I roll very lightly with the girls who are white belts, I still pick some of them to pieces but I don't do anything strengthy, I'm like a ragdoll who occasionally tricks them into an armbar or something. Once they're blue I'll be as mean to them as anybody else.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how blue my belt is.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

what's with jui jitsu dudes and never shaving. it's like - of all the people - why do you want to grow an awesome goatee?

My hobby is "aggressively cuddling dudes". I need a beard to recover whatever shred of masculinity I can retain.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wrestling mats are easier to clean, I imagine?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yoga and Kung Fu are completely unrelated. You should probably leave questions like this to people more experienced, especially when somebody's health is on the line. It's no good Sounding Knowledgeable In A Thread if somebody gets hurt from bad advice. I don't know enough about Kung Fu to weigh in on the conversation.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nierbo posted:

VV Of course they aren't related. I was providing an alternative to starting kung fu. i.e. if the yoga is too much, definitely don't take the next step to trying something more taxing.
e2: many western kung fu schools do take some things from yoga though

Are you saying that the Chinese martial arts, which have existed in some form since what, 500 BC or so, have started drawing their inspiration from Yoga, which is basically the 19th century Indian-in-origin equivalent of Zumba?

edit: No wait, Pilates.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 8, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

A few things:

1. I have been wondering about the employment thing recently. I need a full-time job to tide me over for 6 or 12 months until my folio is good enough to get me some work with my animation degree. I have been wondering what sort of jobs are easy to get with martial arts experience: I don't really want to work in anything genuinely dangerous, and I'd hate to work nights, so gently caress security. I was thinking maybe bottle shops or somewhere that gets robbed often, but again, mostly nights, which would interfere with my training. Any ideas?

2. Is there a universally loved book, like Jiu-Jitsu University is, but for Judo? I'm starting in a week or two, and I know I would've learned BJJ a lot faster if I'd had a reference that good when I started. Or even a particularly good DVD set or something, I just want a reference to look at between classes.

3. Ryan Hall's DVDs have been completely kicking my rear end this week. They're so good. I'm not messing with "50/50 Guard" or "Deep Half Guard" yet because I'd rather work on my basics than tricksy upper level stuff right now, but "The Triangle" and "Back Attacks" have blown my mind. I don't know quite how good he is in the wider scheme of things, but he is amazingly good at explaining subtleties. My back and triangle games improved dramatically without even drilling anything from either DVD yet, just by looking at it once and picking up some concepts I'd been missing out on.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Senor P. posted:

1. There are no easy to get jobs period. Most places/jobs are not going to care about your martial arts experience. If you don't want to work someplace dangerous why would you ever want to work at a place that gets robbed often?

Post college life deals with having lovely work schedules and locations where you can't do what you want to do, your hobbies.

I probably sound like a petulant bitch, huh. You're right.

Senor P. posted:

2. Personally I really like "BEST JUDO" by Isao Inokuma and Nobyuaki Sato. Although not strictly Judo, "Guerilla Jiu-Jitsu" by Dave Camarilo and Erich Krauss isn't bad either.

Ordering both of these. Thanks.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Bruce Lee learned some grappling from Gene Lebell, remember. I'm not sure how good he was at it, but I can imagine him getting among Tyson's legs somehow and subbing him. Having said that, I can also imagine Tyson effortlessly picking him up and throwing him out a window, or punching his face until it's mush. This is the best argument. We are now on GameFAQs.

quote:

sure bruce lee was good but could he beat sephiroth??????

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

If they're totally fluent in the language that I also speak and we're not in a country where the language I don't speak is the primary language, you're drat right I get lovely about it. It's loving rude. I don't speak Italian when people who don't speak it are around, and the only reason for that is respect for those other people.

But, in public? When a pair of strangers walk past you in public, speaking in the language of whatever country they emigrated from, talking about something in that country.

You, a stranger to them, are in their vicinity, so they should immediately switch back to speaking in english, even though it's suddenly quite hard to describe their home using english words that are only vague approximations of the words they are actually trying to use, even though there are specific words in their language to describe far more accurately and simply what they're trying to describe? You want them to be unable to communicate to their fullest potential? Why does it matter to you? You're just walking past and overhearing them.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The Israeli army are probably the best standing army in the world today, so people think to themselves "this will make me the ultimate killing machine." How do they kill their enemies? They fire a missile at them from a helicopter. If all else fails, they'll shoot them with automatic rifles. An army teaches its soldiers a little bit of everything to instill confidence in them at every range of combat, but not enough to make them amazing hand to hand fighters. The idea is that if the poo poo hits the fan, they'll try what they know instead of running away.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I need to come up with a picture for the group. Any suggestion?

pow

or, alternatively, pow:

one more, maybe a bit easier to see at the small size:

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 19, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So is IKMF the "good one"? I can never find any information on the organizational splits online.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Office Sheep posted:

A bad habit from judo I have to get out of is escaping into turtle. The worst thing is that through a combination of people in this class being bad at attacking the turtle and me having learned the basics of how to effectively turtle I only find myself in any danger against higher ranked people. So I'm not really being punished for it in sparring but I assume it will hamper my BJJ development. At least I assume it's bad since I'm the only one in class doing it. No one has really called me out yet.

That's not so bad. You can transition to guard pretty easily from turtle. Just learn those particular transitions and then nail a few guard sweeps. Learn a path from what you're good at back to the top, and spend a lot of time practicing each of those steps.

Bad situation -> Turtle -> Guard -> Sweep to Top.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You should make it really hard for him to get those hooks in. Once the hooks are in, you're not in a turtle anymore. Put your head to the floor, make your elbows touch your knees. There shouldn't be enough space for him to get his hooks.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I was looking into kettlebells to see what kind of martial-arts-improvement movements I could do, and they sounded cool, but too expensive when i'd only really be adding two movements into my workout. Then I stumbled across this badboy in a Tim Ferriss book: http://www.davedraper.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=PmWiki.T-Handle

The T-Handle:

quote:

Just head to any hardware store or Home Depot and head to the plumbing aisle:

One 3/4" diameter x 12" long pipe nipple for the vertical shaft.
A "pipe nipple" is, somewhat paradoxically, a short pipe threaded on both ends with male pipe thread.

Two 3/4" diameter x 4" long pipe nipples for the handles.
Electrical or duct tape can later be used to cover the outside threads, but I just wear leather gloves when training with the T-handle.

One 3/4" diameter pipe "T" fitting to connect the above items.

One 3/4" floor flange to keep the plates from falling off as you swing.

An optional but suggested addition:

One spring clamp (I use an Irwin Quick-Grip 1") to keep plates from drifting up at the top of the swing. Do not swing the weights above sternum height.

Last but not least, replace the T-handle every six months. Tossing a bunch of plates on your cat or through a wall wonft win you IQ points when both are preventable for the cost of a Tshirt.

Special thanks to Dave Draper for introducing me to this beautifully simple device.

This'd be fine for doing two-handed kettlebell swings super-cheap if you've already got weights at home, though there are other kettlebell exercises you couldn't safely do with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The thread on the pipes will wear out eventually, too, because that's what's holding it together. Just inspect it every month or two and replace it when it's starting to look dangerous. Which is probably every 6-12 months. They talk about it in that wiki link.

• Locked thread