Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
When we'd do 5 minute rounds we'd be instructed to try to fight out but weren't ever told to ignore taps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

henkman posted:

My brother did something kind of cool at the last competition we went to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OR1gLSnMog&t=100s

Nicely done.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Can someone provide me with links to gloves for striking classes, and kneepads for rolling which they can personally vouch for. I've been shopping around and can't settle on anything, the one pair of nice kneepads I was sold on ended up being sold-out in my size.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

I wear a cup when I'm doing anything combat-related, even boxing. You never know what creative new way some dumbass is going to come up with to tag your junk, even under the most unlikely circumstances. It's just not worth the risk.

I got side kicked in the sack while sparring in tae kwon do (this was twenty years ago, we didn't know any better) and it turned one of my balls loving black. I had to go get ultrason done on it and it hurt so loving badly I can't even put it into words. So basically I wear a cup for everything now.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
While we're semi on the subject, anyone have any tips for keeping my boxing gloves from getting nasty-over-time due to sweat, etc?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

mewse posted:

always let them dry out after using them
This was kind of what I was wondering specifically...like if there are any pro-tips to drying them properly or if I just need to leave them sitting out or whatever.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

Leaving them sitting out instead of rotting in a gym bag is probably a nice start, but other than rubbing alcohol, I've also taken to putting my gloves in the freezer overnight, and then just leaving them out for a few days after that. This usually takes care of any lingering smell.

Sounds like good advice, unfortunately if I try sticking my gloves in the freezer that's probably going to lead to domestic issues that would make stinky gloves the least of my worries. :downs:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So the one day I don't wear a cup to open mat...I'm getting a coffee on the way to the gym and on the way out a girl getting up from her seat somehow turns into me and lands a perfect elbow to my junk. :smith:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
BJJ White belt here...I'm finding when I get to mount my submission arsenal looks something like this:

1. Americana
end of list

Any ideas on what should be the next to add to my arsenal? I'm sure we'll get to something in class sooner or later but it looks like its mostly side control on the curriculum for the near future. If it helps I'm kind of short and stocky with short little arms and legs.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

dokomoy posted:

This. Almost all of my(and everyone else's) submissions from mount start by getting one hand deep in the collar and taking what your opponent gives you(unless your Roger and you just take the choke). The only finish from mount I get that's not set up from hand in the collar is the ezequel from when I cross face my opponent

I should also have mentioned I'm talking no-gi here...the cross collar is gi-only right?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Cool, thanks guys, I'll check those out.

dokomoy posted:

Oh sorry, for whatever reason I was assuming you were talking about gi.
Yeah sorry, I spaced out and forgot to specify.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

mewse posted:

no. i am just bad at jumping rope
All I saw was the white phone. :swoon:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Did my first striking sparring tonight. (16 oz gloves, headgear) Since I didn't have shinguards the coach just had me and my partners boxing but I still managed to get rocked once. Really enjoyed it, was nice getting past the initial trepidation of being hit in the face/head.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay, need help making a decision. I got two seemingly nice options.

Option 1: This place teaches a combination of Chinese and American kenpo. The guy who owns the place seems like the coolest dude ever. He's offering $175 per month for unlimited group classes (6 days a week) and 1 private half hour lesson each week.

Option 2: Muay Thai + Judo. This muay thai gym I found the other day will let you come by any time during open hours and you can train with one of the instructors for however long you feel like. It's supposed to let everyone advance at whatever pace they're comfortable with. Then there's the judo place that Pellisworth recommended, which although only has training 2 times a week, is still pretty fuggin cheap. Both these combined would run me around the same price as option 1.

What say you, people?
#2 would be my personal preference as long as the instructors aren't horrible...on demand instruction in judo and mt whenever I feel like it? Yes, please

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Kumo Jr. posted:

I respect any man with the guts to make it down to the cage.
Seconding this.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Tapped out my first blue belt tonight. (triangle) :dance:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Senor P. posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for good single weave Judo or BJJ gis? Summer is coming and I'm tired of my washing machine going whirr-whirr-whirr-TOOM-TOOM-TOOM-TOOM

Just got to roll for the first time in this today and loved it: http://www.livelovefight.com/vital.php

So much lighter than my old gi.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Noticed a pretty cool change in myself last night while drilling with mitts after several weeks of sparring:

2 months ago: oh god this new guy is a spaz and is going to miss the pad and hit me in the face maybe I can switch partners or i can hold the pads way out to the side or something oh god oh god oh god waaaaahhhh

Last night: this new guy is spazz and is probably going to miss the pad and hit me in the face lol

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 27, 2012

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

Word. I finally just got all my gear and can post pics, reviews, or whatever once I mess around with it all.

Let me know how you like whatever shin guards you end up going with...the Sports Combat International ones I got just had a strap break after only about a month of use :argh:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is a ton of bruising when starting out in MMA/BJJ pretty normal?
Yeah, welcome to the club.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't want to feel out of my element in a situation where a cup isn't allowed, which is pretty much all competitions around here...

I'm actually doing my first competition at the end of this month (COPA in Lakeland, FL) and making sure to wear a cup every day because they are mandatory in the tournament. I figured that was the norm, but reading your post I'm thinking maybe its weird to have them be required?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

attackmole posted:

The first time I bought a cup it blew my mind. I just put it on and home and walked around with it for like an hour occasionally hitting myself in the sack. I was like a little kid who didn't want to take off his halloween costume.
Hahaha I do the punching myself in the cup thing constantly

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've never seen it being mandatory, though.

I'm getting that from the COPA website so for all I know it could be different and/or not enforced on at the actual event:
"1. No-Gi competitors must wear T-shirts, shorts, (fight shorts or board shorts) cup, and mouthpiece. Gi must be worn in Gi competition."
http://www.cagc.us/rules/rules.html

I want to say it was like the for the last NAGA tournament around here also but I could be wrong as I was only spectating and not really trying to check out guys crotches.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Jon Pop posted:

I joined Gracie Tampa about a month ago and so far it's been pretty good. I thought I would love the striking aspect more than BJJ but it's the complete opposite. I kinda hate Muay Thai and wish that they would just teach us Boxing instead.
Sup Gracie Tampa buddy, I'm at South. You going to Copa tomorrow?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
redacted, kind of e/n

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 30, 2012

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Also my ear exploded into a giant pre-caulfilauer blood sac yesterday and everyone is telling me to drain it but I'm kind of freaked out about doing so :smith:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 30, 2012

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

Oh man, JohnsonsJohnson, I hope your knee will be alright. That's a hell of an unlucky way to lose a fight.

You can go to a doctor for this. I had a sports doctor fix my cauliflower ear twice. They just make a small incision and squeeze all the blood out, then they'll put pressure on the area so blood doesn't flow back in. It'll only take three, four days and your ear will be (relatively speaking) fine again.

Here's a picture from a couple of years back when I had it fixed the first time. You'll look like kind of a chump, but atleast you won't run the same risk of infection and continued drainage as you might have when doing it yourself.

Also, congratulations with everyone's fights!

I actually just sucked it up and did the home surgery...icing it now. If it fills up again by morning I'll probably go to the doctor tomorrow. (actually tomorrow is the last day of my old group health plan and my new one doesn't kick in until July so its pretty much going to be then or never)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I got cracked in the nose really hard with an accidental elbow Monday night while sparring, and my nose got pretty swollen up yesterday. I just woke up this morning after taking last night off, and I've got a black eye to go with the swollen nose...is this kind of delayed reaction common or do I need to look into alternate theories as to how I got a shiner in my sleep?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just about everyone wraps at my mma gym...to avoid injury afaik

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So after taking it easy mostly for 2 weeks to get healthy and rested, I ended up loving up my wrist on a takedown 15 minutes into class tonight. :sigh:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Antinumeric posted:

Hate it when this happens. I still haven't gone back to wrestling, the middle joint on my right hand still hasn't healed up and won't bend at all. Doctors have x-rayed it twice and confirmed nothing is broken, no clue what it is.
I just wanna get back.

Good luck on the wrist.

Yeah thanks man...I've been keeping it iced and huffing advil, hoping to be back on the mat tomorrow.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Blooshoo posted:

Hey Martial Arts goons. I've recently become unfat (I think I'm what the the W&W and martial arts goons call skinny-fat at the moment) and decided Martial arts would be a fun way to tone up and also learn how to hit/hug people as a bonus.

There are not a lot of options here though I'm gonna check out a local krav maga place next week: http://charlestonkravmaga.com/

Was also gonna look into a MT place:
http://www.crescentfitness.com/default.html

And finally an Aikido place:
http://www.suenaka.com/

I am not really sure what's for me so I was gonna try out a whole bunch and see if anything really fit. Do any of these places scream out to you more qualified "in the know" goons as really good/bad? The Aikido trainer guy seems really legit and has a impressive resume. While the rest seem kind of "well this guy/girl fought a lot I guess" though I'm really green so I don't know. :)
Just don't say "tone up" in w&w or they'll have a collective aneurysm. I'd check out that MT place, looks like they've got pretty flexible pay as you go pricing (so if it sucks you've lost very little) and a real focus on conditioning which would be right up your alley.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
God I am so loving hopeless at striking. I've seriously got to learn...
a) to start circling/blocking/countering instead of just retreating when I see punches incoming.
b) to follow up kicks with something else
c) to throw combos in general
d) to quit being such a pussy and get into range where I can actually connect with punches
gently caress.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Sweet, small victories this week:
1 - Going against "I never tap to arm bars" guy and showing him that he'll sure as gently caress tap to wrist locks
2 - Starting to work this move in striking where you throw a low roundhouse kick that barely connects but its a feint, and you use it to load up a side kick from the other side...got shown this in class on Tuesday and have been landing it steadily since then

Things I should have mastered on day one that I cannot believe I'm still horrible at:
1 - Tieing a belt when wearing gi
2 - Wrapping my hands...I look like an extra in a mummy movie

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Has anyone here tried Stephen Kesting's Grappling Concepts course?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I haven't, but I really like his youtube channel.

Yeah, I like a lot of his stuff and almost feel like I wouldn't mind buying the course to support him because I've consumed so much free content from him, however its pretty damned expensive so I'm still teetering on the fence.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

At least I know I'm not crazy and being some stuck up dick for not wanting to share my gloves ( even though I do on occasion anyway ) though, thanks!

Yeah not at all, I'd rather share a cup than share gloves. Ick.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ligur posted:

The W&W people know a lot more about this poo poo than I do of course.

W&W freaks the gently caress out at the notion that calories can be burned, but other than that it looks pretty much in line with what they advocate.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

overtraining talk:

I've been at it 3-4hrs a day (2hr sparring) for the last 9-10 days and I'm pretty much walking around in a constant mental fog. My body is sore, sure, but it's my mind that feels too slow to cut it in everyday situations like normal conversation and driving.

I honestly feel like a stupid drunk and not a happy one. Is there something I can add to my diet to help counteract the effects of all the training/hitting/being hit and the late nights doing so?

I started taking Glutamine which anecdotally seems to help, but really you probably need to slow down. I've cut it back to 2.5 hours per day with at least one day off a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Grats niethan! I'm unable to watch the videos right now but a loving mma win is a loving mma win!

• Locked thread