Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
It's easiest to ask your coach or experienced costudents to show you in real life rather then on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Pres posted:

X-post from old thread.

I've got a new tattoo that's 4 days old, Can I roll tonight?

Would be better not to, but if it's on your arm and exposed the least you should do is cover it up. I cut the bottom off a sock and put it over mine when it was fresh.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Bohemian Nights posted:

To be fair, at that point GSP had no depth of vision.

Well especially if you have no depth perception throwing straight punches seems like a good idea

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Just do a rolling heelhook, no big deal.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Have you ever used skills aquired in Kendo in a real life situation?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah I also usually don't talk about training MMA, because the couple times I did it came over as CAGEFIGHTING so I just say boxing and wrestling and people understand what it is without seeing bloodsport infront of their inner eye.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

mewse posted:

Anyone know anything about this gym? http://www.ultfitev.com/

For those unfamiliar with this great fighting art: Muay Thai is known as "King of the Ring" in kick boxing circles. Techniques feature punches, kicks, elbows, knees, standing grappling and head-butts to wear down and knock out the opponent. Muay Thai has also proven very effective outside the ring and has been embraced enthusiastically by practitioners of a variety of self-defense, sporting, military and law enforcement activities. For self defense and overall fitness, few arts compare to Muay Thai! And . . . it's fun!

Does MT really have headbutts?! :staredog:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

God I can't stand bullshido. So many assholes berating the new guys. And a respected poster was arguing that Matt Hughes is a BJJ black belt. I just closed the tab, never to go back.
Glad you're all here.

Why don't you think Matt Hughes is on black belt level?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

I never said don't I think that.

I don't get your problem then I guess he probably should have said "matt hughes grapples at black belt level" :confused:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
To save even more time do the same with your black belt.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I wanna see a gi in this style

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Winkle-Daddy posted:

he was shown exactly how easy it was to collect his legs and throw him to the ground. My brother his 6'2", 210. My instructor is probably 5'6" and 155. It was hilarious.

Can you elaborate on this please?

Oh also another thing you're coming off as really smug and "krav is so badass", but truth is any sport will kick your rear end the first time you do it. He'd probably be pretty beat up after warmup drills for cricket.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Winkle-Daddy posted:

It's sort of hard to explain in words. I'll see if I can't find a video explanation that demonstrates this better.

That'd be cool, cause I can't really picture it. I assume you mean single/double leg takedowns when you talk about picking up legs? How do you get power into your punches and kicks without rotating your hips? Maybeprobably im misunderstanding krav maga stance.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
You'Re not really open minded and humble tho, I remember in the last thread you were like "my silly gf wants to do tkd :rolleyes:"

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Cool.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Uh what's preventing the americana in that scenario?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Speaking of pressure points: do they work, are they allowed in actual judo/grappling/mma, why does noone use them?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Wrist control is actually pretty important in nogi grappling and mma.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Jenner posted:

if I get very good at it I can cosplay as Katara at Otakon in a few years.
That is a great motivation for sure! :waycool:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Ligur posted:

Hey guys, I just kettlebelled for the first time this morning (and some thanks for that goes to certain guys in this thread). It was a... a... revelation. What are these muscles I've never felt before?

They are muscles you have never needed before. That is why you have never felt them. :science:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Also if you already know exactly what the other guys gonna do there's always a way to counter it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
What techniques are allowed in Aikido that exclude it from a sport competition? Are we talking eye gouges and ball kicks here?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

zalmoxes posted:

Bruce Lee would beat Mike Tyson
I'm going to assume we are talking prime Lee and prime Tyson, right?

Pro Lee:
cross trained
speed

Pro Tyson:
Weight advantage by 60 or 70 lbs
Height advantage of 4 inches, probably also similar reach advantage
a lot of experience against fully resisting opponents

Con Lee:
only an actor

Con Tyson:
only a boxer

I believe Tyson would knock Lee silly. Did I miss any important points?

niethan fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 14, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I have a scenario that's kinda out there, what if you're on a forum talking about Judo to a guy who also does Judo, is it ok to use the japanese names for certain Judo moves even though there are people around who don't do Judo and thus don't understand the names?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
How much % will steroids help?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Jenkl posted:

Ive become very interested in pursuing a martial arts. I was thinking Id start training in a practical form, but am worried because a) Ill only really have maybe 3/4 days a week to train and b) Im pretty out of shape right now. Most of the talk seems to suggest the practical forms tend to be for people trying to train up for MMA, would I be out of place pursuing it for personal development?

My priorities, in case you guys have any general advice, are fitness > mental development (confidence, dedication, motivation) > practical defense techniques.

3 days is enough, it doesn't matter if you're out of shape, the best way to get in shape is just to go to the gym and train, a lot of people do MMA without ever wanting to compete

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Are there videos of that event?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

drat.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

KidDynamite posted:

people wanted to grapple.

Why did the fights get broken up then? :confused:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

So all the white belts trained arm bars today (all 5 of us) and about half way through it felt like someone poured hot water on the inside of my elbow even though no one really cranked anything too hard. Thats pretty normal right? You BJJ guys are just used to it?
Is it still hurting?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

This is going to go one of two ways:
1) You quote my post saying its feeling better, and say 'well theres ya fuckin answer then'
2) This is your soft, caring side that we've all been waiting for.

3) No the fact wether the pain is persistent is just pertinent to my diagnosis. You should know doctor space man. Like if it's still hurting just as bad the next day there's probably something lovely going on. I finally went to the doc a week after i got slammed on my arm and the pain didn't go away turns out it was a hairline fracture. But I've had a ton of poo poo go down that hurt considerably less the next day and was gone after a week or two. So there's your answer.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Welcome to the Machida Era

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Makrond posted:

(we train in street clothes)

Why do you guys train in street clothes and not in gym clothes?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Makrond posted:

Expense and accessibility basically. The instructor loves the style and loves teaching it to people and wants to share it with as many people as possible, and one of the ways he feels he can achieve this is by training in street clothes.

Are you talking like jeans here?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yo judo guy, set up some mats on campus when theres a lot going on and do a demonstration. Also do things like ask the biggest football player to try and get your blackbelt to the ground and then when he cant show the ppl why not and show em how easy you can take him to the ground.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
The easiest solution to that problem is to make it a work.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Ain't noone getting knocked out in karate.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Cyphoderus posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread before.

To anyone interested in capoeira, ask away and I will answer any questions you have.

I'm a Brazilian located in Rio de Janeiro. I've been practicing capoeira for about five years now and I've always taken a lot of interest in the theoretical aspect of the martial art, from its history to its philosophy and mindset.

If people want me to do a writeup on it, I can, too.

How much percent of a capoeira match/game/fight is collaboration and how much is competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Congratulations.

• Locked thread