Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

mewse posted:

yeah, guys that abuse their size and reach against you aren't going to be helped when they have to fight someone their own weight

So what's a tall guy to do?

I'm starting either Judo or BJJ soon, and I've been wondering if I'm going to develop lovely technique because of my size.

I'm 6'7"/210.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Look up "Anton Geesink" and aspire to become him.

More seriously, you'll probably find that a lot of hip throws are tough for you, and you have more success with foot sweeps and throws like Haria Goshi.

Jesus. What the hell is that spinning throw he does at 0:06?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCGypJY6bU

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

I finally got around to calling the Judo-club just up the road from me about prices and stuff.

They sounded nice, and pleasantly surprised that I was interested in joining.

It's 900 DKK for 6 months (160$), 2 classes a week. Is that reasonable?

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Sounds very reasonable, I pay $30/mo for 2 classes a week of judo. If it's just up the road from you, that's quite a bargain!

If it's a 6mo purchase, you should definitely visit the club and train with them for a class or two before you put down your money. That's a reasonable rate, but you don't want to pay for 6mo and then discover you don't like the people or the coaches, etc.

The guy I talked to said the same. "Drop by and see if you like it".

Which I plan to do on monday. I am stoked.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Does any of you train this? Looks legit to me :cool:

e: Thumbnail doesnt work for me, direct link:

http://imgur.com/2ze2f

Prathm fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 5, 2012

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Got my first Judo-class tonight. Nervous.

Any last-minute advice?

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Optimus Subprime posted:

Going to my first bjj class tonight. Feeling a little nervous but looking forward to it.

Also on the striking front, the first time I sparred at my schools boxing class, I got punched in the face and took a bloody nose. It was actually a lot of fun. :downs:

If it's anything like my judo-class, everyone will be super nice and the morning after you'll feel like you got run over by a train. (In a good way though)

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Does any of you own a Dax moskito gi?

Ive heard good things, but I need a jacket that isnt too wide.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Comrade_Robot posted:

I have two; they're very sturdy gis, cheap, and well constructed. They don't shrink much, so they recommend ordering a size smaller than you normally wear (vanity sizing! I'm a size 4! At last!).

Dunno if you're American, but nobody seems to be importing more of them into the US, sadly, until DAX figures out what to do with the IJF license.

No, I'm from Danmark. Looks like they come in cm-sizes on the german website:

http://www.dax-sports.de/catalog/index.php

They got a 190L and a 190M, whatever that means.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

What does a bent rib feel like?

I've had a sharp pain on my back the last few days. It's beneath my shoulder-blade, when I get up from the couch, cough or tense my shoulders.
I had a lot of big men on top of me lately, so I'm worried about my ribcage. (among other things :gay:)

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Nierbo posted:

I got that a few times from holding my breath as I hit the ground while being thrown. I thought it would go away on its own but two months on, it still hurt to move my shoulder blade. I went to the physio and he put electricity through the area for about 20 mins and it went away instantly.

My uncle's a physio actually, guess I'll give him a call and hear what's up.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Roy Dean's White Belt Bible is free right now for iPhone. I don't know if it's any good, but hey - free stuff!

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Which judo-matches from London are worth checking out? (if you don't have time to watch all of them)

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Ligur posted:

We have this HOKUTORYO jujitsu which is pretty popular. The gym is in the legendary Kaapelihalli building (an old sea cable factory with huge halls) just across the street from where I'm sitting now. The founder, Auvo "Ave" Niiniketo is a legendary martial artist locally of whom hundreds of anecdotes and stories are told, half of which might also be true. He is also the guy who brought kickboxing and jujitsu to Finland in the late 70s, before that the public didn't have a place to train either so many consider him the grandfather of martial arts of sorts here. Check out this killer demo video of HJJ and fear.

The club is pretty samurai spirit and at least used to be a little too rigid and formal for my tastes, but also very physical. The techniques are straightforward and they beat each other up over there all the time. I trained kickboxing over there a long time ago. They also have MT & BJJ (what else?), Kyokushin and Combat Sambo.

Ahem. Regarding possible bullshido rating, Ave was a middleweight boxing champion in his youth, before he took up Karate in which he won the heavy weight championship so he actually knows how to fight. Then, he got into jits and kickboxed seriously. As a young lad he used to work as a bouncer (what else again?) with a record of eight straight KO's during a single Friday (bullshido rating: * or 1 star). Ave worked a shift as doorman here and there with his friends until a few years ago - though his almost 60! I'd occasionally stumble into him. He has a serious goddamn "don't gently caress with" presence at the night grill line, let me tell you.

Ave Niiniketo also has a successful security business with another local MA legend Kuuno Väntär with whom he runs the HJJ system. They do things from personal security to solving "problems legally" but they also regularly consult the police (br: **) and he generally has a legendary status among the local law enforcement, and he trains bodyguards and has worked as a security consultant for celebrities and Russian oligarchs and probably mobsters too and has knocked out over 200 men (br: ***** or 5 stars).

I think traditional JJ is sort of big in scandinavia? Or at least used to be.

It may be a myth, but I read somewhere that the underground resistance here in Denmark (during the German occupation) used TJJ.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

What about those Feiyue kung fu-shoes. Are they good for anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Novum posted:

Defending China against the Japanese menace.

What, just the shoes? Must be some pretty grody sneakers.

• Locked thread